Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:20:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 8569 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #30 on September 10, 2015, 12:12:37 am by bpoolrover »
Didn't no they did hair samples

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 10, 2015, 06:25:36 am by coventryrover »
Who are we to argue??
Sorry, can't agree. We've all been through bereavement of close loved ones. Divorce (twice in my case! 😅😂😆) Do we all turn to snorting the odd line of coke? No we don't. I don't know what action the police took, I don't even know if there was enough evidence to prosecute. I hope there was, and I hope as he's in the position he is, he goes to clink for a couple of months.
A fine example to set to impressionable youngsters
. Idiot

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 10, 2015, 06:48:20 am by dickos1 »
They don't do hair samples, just urine and blood, I'm pretty sure the players don't know, the testers turn up at the training ground and players houses, they may get a day or two notice but that's it.
I looked into this once as part of university course and out of 1300 tests that year I think it was 5 that were found positive.
One was performance enhancing the others were cannabis

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 10, 2015, 07:57:52 am by Jonathan »
They don't do hair samples, just urine and blood, I'm pretty sure the players don't know, the testers turn up at the training ground and players houses, they may get a day or two notice but that's it.
I looked into this once as part of university course and out of 1300 tests that year I think it was 5 that were found positive.
One was performance enhancing the others were cannabis

I think performance enhancing drugs will be very scarce in the game. Players aren't interested enough in enhancing performance (otherwise they'd dedicate themselves to training more and less to nightclubs, smoking, drinking and the rest). I'd imagine the effect of PEDs would be limited too, as they can't help with technique and awareness.

I fully expect that there are issues in the game with recreational drug usage. More so these days than a few years back as cocaine seems to have become as fashionable as being seen in the VIP with a litre of Grey Goose and a bucket of ice. Testing properly on days off, holidays and in the close season would throw up some interesting results I reckon. Some would argue that's denying them a right to enjoy themselves. Personally I feel there's a widespread disrespect amongst too many players for the game, the money they're paid and the money the fans have to pay to watch. It needs rooting out.

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 10, 2015, 10:37:43 am by PopStander »
Well I heard that when we had Reece Wabara, he was having a party and he told people to bring their vodka and their Charlie!

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 10, 2015, 10:39:15 am by Lifelong supporter »
Isn't that libellous?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 10, 2015, 11:05:41 am by idler »
Not if your girlfriend's called Charlie. 😉
Maybe not the wisest post though, even if it's classed as hearsay.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 10, 2015, 11:23:09 am by The Red Baron »
While Livermore clearly had a strong plea in mitigation, and he has effectively served a five-month ban, I do wonder about the verdict here.

Clearly if he had been arrested for possession of cocaine, and assuming it was a first offence and he wasn't dealing the stuff, he wouldn't get a custodial sentence. However, football clearly feels the question of drug abuse is serious enough to test players for recreational drugs. It therefore makes me wonder what the point of such testing is if players are not given some punishment when they test positively?

It strikes me that if you are going to have a testing regime then some kind of sanctions need to follow on from a positive test, maybe some kind of minimum penalty which can be increased if there are aggravating circumstances, such as persistent offending. Otherwise, stick to testing for performance enhancing drugs only.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 10, 2015, 02:50:08 pm by boro_rover »
I wouldn't buy that the loss of his child drove him to coke. The rules are the rules and if he needed a break away from everything I'm sure something could have been arranged on grounds of compassionate leave.

Footballers get paid huge sums of money and I have no sympathy for someone who is living the dream compromising what they do for a night of fun.

I have no problems with recreational drug users as long as their actions don't affect their day to day lives. I always said people should be able to do what they want in their own free time as long as it doesn't cause any problems in their work lives.

But as a footballer he would know he is likely to be tested on a regular basis, therefore he should have had more sense.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 10, 2015, 02:59:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
On the subject of PED, they were supposed to be rife in Italian football in the 1990s. In particular, steroids for muscle bulk and EPO for stamina. It would make sense that both of those would bestow an advantage on the user.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-drugs-in-serie-a---italy-sinking-deeper-into-scandal-1178042.html

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 10, 2015, 03:17:21 pm by Beerseller »
IIRC, hair testing is fine so long as there is a length of hair to test.  If there is 1cm hair growth per month, it is only possible to test six months if the hair length is 6cm or more. JOC for instance would have been impossible to test by that method. 

If all footballers had a 1970s hairstyle then perhaps two hair strand tests per season would be enough to prove use of some drugs - not sure it would cover performance enhancing drugs though.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 10, 2015, 03:34:01 pm by dickos1 »
What does how much they earn have to do with their child passing away

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 11, 2015, 01:21:16 pm by coventryrover »
People cope with profound grief and loss in different ways.  Give the guy a break

bally1950

« Reply #43 on September 11, 2015, 01:30:42 pm by bally1950 »
You could conclude that he made the story up and used the death of his child which is not a pleasant thought for anyone to justify in his mind that it is legal and morally right to snort cocaine. or smoke it or inject it.

Now if you decide you wish to take drugs of an illegal substance certain things should stick out. 1.You have a supplier.2 You could get involved in serious financial matters 3. You could get addicted. Your choice is TAKE THEM OR NOT,
Just like driving under the influence of alcohol...You know you should not drink and drive and it is your choice if you do.

The consequences in both cases are severe, in addition  there is nothing to be gained by taking drugs or getting drunk, the problem you are trying to ignore is still there when you sober up. You are pounds lighter in your pocket and of course you could always kill someone whilst being OPL.

My stance is that. like it or not

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 11, 2015, 09:08:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
So, if he'd never done Coke before, how did he know where to get it from, how much to take and more to the point that its effect would in any way provide him the escape from the terrible trauma that he desired.

Didn't he have a wife/partner who must have needed his support at such a terrible time?  What about her needs?  Bit of a selfish knob if you ask me.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 11, 2015, 11:20:04 pm by NickDRFC »
I've never taken cocaine before, but if I wanted to I'm sure I could have some within the hour and I would know how much to take.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 12, 2015, 12:47:04 am by RedArmy »
So, if he'd never done Coke before, how did he know where to get it from, how much to take and more to the point that its effect would in any way provide him the escape from the terrible trauma that he desired.

Didn't he have a wife/partner who must have needed his support at such a terrible time?  What about her needs?  Bit of a selfish knob if you ask me.

To describe any man who lost there nearly born son as selfish is horrific. Take a look at yourself. And think of the situation and circumstances.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 12, 2015, 07:43:38 am by Glyn_Wigley »
People cope with profound grief and loss in different ways.  Give the guy a break

Would you be saying that if he'd 'coped with his profound grief' by doing something else illegal like getting pissed then running somebody over? 'Give him a break'?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 12, 2015, 07:45:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I've never taken cocaine before, but if I wanted to I'm sure I could have some within the hour and I would know how much to take.

Would you know how much of it was actually coke and not talcum powder, Ajax, flour or brick dust though? Wouldn't that throw out your calculation of how much to take?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 12, 2015, 08:03:20 am by coventryrover »

Would you be saying that if he'd 'coped with his profound grief' by doing something else illegal like getting pissed then running somebody over? 'Give him a break'?

I am taking his reasons as genuine, its what I do rather than read other things into it.   Coke is relatively easy to get.  Maybe he's used it before, remembered how it made him feel and opted for it to help him cope.

The human being is a fragile person,particularly when a new parent loses a child so long.  Think about the intense nine months which occur when your partners expecting.  Then to have them snatched away its bound to cause grief issues.

If you haven't been in his place its very hard to accpt your comments as you dont know what hes going through.  So yes, I am taking the reports as written and giving the guy a break

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 12, 2015, 08:26:14 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I am taking his reasons as genuine, its what I do rather than read other things into it.   Coke is relatively easy to get.  Maybe he's used it before, remembered how it made him feel and opted for it to help him cope.

The human being is a fragile person,particularly when a new parent loses a child so long.  Think about the intense nine months which occur when your partners expecting.  Then to have them snatched away its bound to cause grief issues.

If you haven't been in his place its very hard to accpt your comments as you dont know what hes going through.  So yes, I am taking the reports as written and giving the guy a break

Even if he'd driven under the influence of it?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 12, 2015, 08:28:04 am by i_ateallthepies »

To describe any man who lost there nearly born son as selfish is horrific. Take a look at yourself. And think of the situation and circumstances.

We're here discussing the rights and wrongs of something someone did.  You've given your view and I've given an alternative one, that's all.  I do understand grief, as do probably most who have commented on the issue and I understand that it must have been a terrible time for him and his wife/partner, I sympathise with them both.  I don't need to 'take a look at myself'.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012