Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:28:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New board  (Read 14403 times)

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
New board
« on April 03, 2016, 08:04:39 pm by Derby Viking »
I am genuinely interested to know exactly who exactly is going to bankroll the club if the current board leave - which seems to be what a number of people want.

Who is out there that would not only be willing to part with £3m+ to keep us running every year but also the extra £'s that seem to be needed to keep us competitive at this level? Not many people I would think that would have the clubs best interests at heart.

If the current board decided tomorrow to up and leave that is the end of Doncaster Rovers. There is no white knight like JR was when he rescued us from the Richardson era - and we are no where near the dire straits we were in back in those days.

So when you are demanding a change from top to bottom including the board, please enlighten us on who is going to cover the costs and keep this club afloat if they do go.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: New board
« Reply #1 on April 03, 2016, 08:09:07 pm by silent majority »
Barnsley have been up for sale for a number of years, nobody's getting killed in the crush to buy them.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 03, 2016, 08:15:04 pm by The Red Baron »
Aston Villa are an even better example, SM. They have been up for sale for a while now. However, Lerner has lost interest and stopped putting money in. Result - they are going down and unless they find someone who thinks a Championship club is a better prospect than a PL one (unlikely) they will struggle for some time to come.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 03, 2016, 08:20:47 pm by Sad-Rovers »
More importantly how on earth are the club losing £3m a year? We pay just £10k a year for the rent on the KM, are we really to believe that our staffing and squad come in at over THREE MILLION quid a year?

b*llocks.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 03, 2016, 08:22:40 pm by silent majority »
Staffing and squad come in at over £4m a year.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 03, 2016, 08:23:47 pm by Sad-Rovers »

£4m a year for bottom end L1? I'd love to see how that figure compares with Burton, for example.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 03, 2016, 08:26:28 pm by silent majority »
That's the issue though isn't it?

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 03, 2016, 08:28:55 pm by no eyed deer »
Aston Villa are an even better example, SM. They have been up for sale for a while now. However, Lerner has lost interest and stopped putting money in. Result - they are going down and unless they find someone who thinks a Championship club is a better prospect than a PL one (unlikely) they will struggle for some time to come.
You could quite easily be talking about the rovers there .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 03, 2016, 08:33:38 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
More importantly how on earth are the club losing £3m a year? We pay just £10k a year for the rent on the KM, are we really to believe that our staffing and squad come in at over THREE MILLION quid a year?

b*llocks.

It's a fact actually.

The club still doesn't run at a sustainable level so the owners should get some slack given they still fund the club.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 03, 2016, 08:36:56 pm by Sad-Rovers »
I don't doubt the figures, I doubt that we should be losing that amount of money given our, essentially free, stadium.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 03, 2016, 08:37:35 pm by normal rules »
If some of the players are on £4k per week, thats £200k per year. 5 of them is a mil.

It's a lot of money to get relegated.

Wages are the single biggest issue in football in the 21st century IMHO.

They get paid far, far too much.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 03, 2016, 08:39:06 pm by silent majority »
There was much more to the deal that gave the club the lease on the stadium than that headline statement you just used Neil. Much more.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 03, 2016, 08:40:31 pm by Sad-Rovers »
Yeah, we got £400k from the Council as a sweetener, for example. Meaning we're being paid to play in the KM, in essence.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 03, 2016, 08:42:41 pm by The Red Baron »

Not at all, because our owners have not put the club up for sale and are still putting money in.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 03, 2016, 08:43:59 pm by The Red Baron »

People refused to believe me when I said that our wage bill will be larger than Burton's.

£4m a year for bottom end L1? I'd love to see how that figure compares with Burton, for example.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 03, 2016, 08:47:32 pm by normal rules »
To put that into perspective, that's 200 supporters paying twenty quid each to pay one players wages for one week.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 03, 2016, 08:50:59 pm by Sad-Rovers »
To put that into perspective, that's 200 supporters paying twenty quid each to pay one players wages for one week.

If only there was some sort of system where fans could pay around the twenty quid mark to the club, perhaps in return for some sort of ticket?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 03, 2016, 08:53:26 pm by MrFrost »
Are we up for sale?

I remember the owners saying by long back they'd listen to any reasonable offer

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 03, 2016, 09:17:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Not at all, because our owners have not put the club up for sale and are still putting money in.

Yes, yes, yes. But APART from that, the analogy is not bad.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 03, 2016, 09:23:18 pm by RedJ »
Are we up for sale?

I remember the owners saying by long back they'd listen to any reasonable offer

That's not the same as being up for sale though, is it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 03, 2016, 09:26:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My kids aren't up for sale. But if someone offers me a million quid for them and promises to leather them as frequently as I do, I'm all ears.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 03, 2016, 09:31:03 pm by drfc1951 »
Who is responsible for paying for all the electricity and water and insurance for the stadium.Does the club have to pay business rates aswell.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 03, 2016, 09:32:33 pm by no eyed deer »
My kids aren't up for sale. But if someone offers me a million quid for them and promises to leather them as frequently as I do, I'm all ears.
Sorry I just don't get you on this one

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 03, 2016, 09:49:24 pm by wilts rover »
How much would you think the budget at, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Notts County is Rigo? I would think all three are pushing that, if not more?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 03, 2016, 09:53:53 pm by Drover »
I am genuinely interested to know exactly who exactly is going to bankroll the club if the current board leave - which seems to be what a number of people want.

Who is out there that would not only be willing to part with £3m+ to keep us running every year but also the extra £'s that seem to be needed to keep us competitive at this level? Not many people I would think that would have the clubs best interests at heart.

If the current board decided tomorrow to up and leave that is the end of Doncaster Rovers. There is no white knight like JR was when he rescued us from the Richardson era - and we are no where near the dire straits we were in back in those days.

So when you are demanding a change from top to bottom including the board, please enlighten us on who is going to cover the costs and keep this club afloat if they do go.

I agree,the current owners leaving,if no one responsible is willing to replace them,is not the answer.BUT there are many like me who think a better Chairman may be the right move.I sympathise to a degree with TB and DW,they are trying to run the club healthier aswell as trying for resonable results,but I think the problem may be,that football is notorious for being a different kettle of fish to most big money businesses,and many top businessmen with excellent credentials,experience and high end results fail to make it good when running football clubs.Alan Sugar with Spurs for example.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 03, 2016, 09:54:26 pm by Sad-Rovers »

I can stretch to £75 and the remainder of my season ticket?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 03, 2016, 10:28:30 pm by wilts rover »
According to their fans forum Notts County have the biggest wage bill in League 2 (and the most expensive tickets). They seem to have a fair sized squad and I doubt that Roy Carroll, Alan Smith, John Stead, Izale Mcleod will be playing for £50 a week. I reckon Portsmouth will too, I bet Paul Cook is on a decent wage there, he would have been a manager in demand by League 1 clubs.

Northampton had that financial fiddle where they were loaned £11m by the local council to build a stand - that didnt get built. Thats where their money came from - along with the previous owners house!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 03, 2016, 10:34:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Northampton had that financial fiddle where they were loaned £11m by the local council to build a stand - that didnt get built. Thats where their money came from - along with the previous owners house!

Northampton didn't get it from what I remember, though. It apparently disappeared into a black hole somewhere near the pocket of the bloke who was their owner at the time.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 03, 2016, 10:47:06 pm by dickos1 »
Portsmouth have on paper a squad that could play at championship level their wage bill will be massive

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 04, 2016, 08:42:16 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Yeah, we got £400k from the Council as a sweetener, for example. Meaning we're being paid to play in the KM, in essence.

IT isn't that simple or the case or that cheap actually.  Equally it brings many costs with it such as the day to day running, but I expect not the lifecycle elements. It will also include all the rates,utilities etc.

The figures are fairly clear, the blame is not with the board funding the club that thing is for sure.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012