Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:37:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Green  (Read 14255 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Paul Green
« Reply #30 on May 20, 2016, 09:43:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You intimated that Paul Green was somehow disappointed because the team he was playing for beat Leeds United in a POF at Wembley, thus earning promotion.

That is utter b*llocks.

The guy had just won promotion. I very much doubt he'd have been disappointed in any way, shape or form, on the day he'd achieved a career highlight.

I'm saying that although I have no doubt that Green gave his all for Rovers, and as such was happy his team won, it was a double edged sword. The other edge was that he'd end up being promoted with whoever won.

What looked like Green being subdued in the celebrations could have been because of the big pay rise he'd missed out on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 20, 2016, 10:03:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No I didn't think of that one! I always thought he was one of the fitter ones in the team, but to be too knackered to raise a smile, unlike all the rest of the team, makes me wish I had your observational skills.

Dn2Dn0

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 20, 2016, 10:07:20 pm by Dn2Dn0 »
To be fair he does look gutted doesn't he.

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/james-hayter-of-doncaster-rovers-and-team-mate-paul-green-news-photo/81231249#

I'd hate to see him happy if this is him subdued.  :whistle:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 20, 2016, 10:33:34 pm by Jonathan »
Great set of photos there. Good times.

I miss Jason Price. We could do with another one of him now. Totally unorthodox and awkward but superb at being able to turn and face up defenders. He got himself into great positions and could finish too. Top player and character.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 20, 2016, 10:36:58 pm by Move DRFC »

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/james-hayter-of-doncaster-rovers-and-team-mate-paul-green-news-photo/81231249#

Hahahahaha. Thats shot you down hasn't it Bentley Bullet. Chatting absolute madness you pal

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 20, 2016, 10:43:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Which shot would that be?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 20, 2016, 10:46:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No I didn't think of that one! I always thought he was one of the fitter ones in the team, but to be too knackered to raise a smile, unlike all the rest of the team, makes me wish I had your observational skills.

You're suggesting that, somehow in your warped way of thinking, he was disappointed to WIN a play-off final.

Have a word with yourself.

If it is true that he was to sign for Leeds following their play-off win, Yes!

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 20, 2016, 10:46:51 pm by Move DRFC »
Which shot would that be?

That picture of Greeny celebrating when you're try to claim that he was disappointed we won. Laughable claim Bullet

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 20, 2016, 10:50:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ah, you mean the one taken after Hayter had scored! That was just after half time wasn't it?  I'm not convinced anyone thought we had actually WON at that time!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 20, 2016, 10:56:32 pm by Jonathan »
Ah, you mean the one taken after Hayter had scored! That was just after half time wasn't it?  I'm not convinced anyone thought we had actually WON at that time!

I think you need to give this one up, I doubt he regathered his emotions and then started hoping Leeds would equalise. He may very well have had a potential move there lined up, but professional pride is at stake and he'll have been delighted to help us win. Not to mention he'd clearly already lined up the option of a whacking pay rise at Derby that was confirmed just a couple of days later. He couldn't lose.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 20, 2016, 11:07:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Jonathan, I expect the responses of other people involved in this argument, but am disappointed in yours, having expected better. Read post 32.

Dn2Dn0

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 20, 2016, 11:09:24 pm by Dn2Dn0 »

I'm pretty sure that picture was taken at full time but still, scroll down a bit & you'll see one of him looking subdued running in a line with the rest of the team celebrating. Unless this was also after Hayter had just scored, I must have forgot that goal celebration.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 20, 2016, 11:15:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bentley mate.

5 days after that play-off final where Green missed out on his financial dream-deal with a bankrupt Tier 3 side, he joined a club who had just pocketed millions in parachute payments.

I think you're clogging a dead horse here.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 20, 2016, 11:21:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
But there's only you suggesting that he was definitely signing for Leeds United.

Applying your logic, I guess Jamie Vardy will be upset to have won the Premier League.

I'm relaying information I was given at the time, it's hardly 'only me' who has suggested that he was about to sign for Leeds.

Now what's this about Jamie Vardy? sounds utter b*llocks to me.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 20, 2016, 11:29:25 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Players are players, whether they played for you before it doesn't matter, all that matters is, 'can they do a job for you now'?!.
The answer, on Tommy Spurr, no doubt about it, Greeny possibly. If it was me Spurr would be signed tomorrow, if he was interested, Greeny i would leave to somebody else.
We need a younger squad, with experience in certain areas, we have seen what it's like having too many older legs in the midfield, you need energy and drive in there!.

With us already having Coppinger and McSheffrey for 'older heads', Greeny wouldn't suit what we need. Spurr on the other hand, we do need a good left back, and preferably one firstly good at defending, which he is, and decent going forward, again he isn't bad going forward, so yes to him!.
The manager for me can't afford to waste a penny of his budget, we need players for certain areas. Greeny would want a decent wage would we get value?, i don't think so, with Spurr injury permitting, we would get good value for the wage!.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 20, 2016, 11:31:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Bentley mate.

5 days after that play-off final where Green missed out on his financial dream-deal with a bankrupt Tier 3 side, he joined a club who had just pocketed millions in parachute payments.

I think you're clogging a dead horse here.

Billy, I'm quite aware he ended up at Derby, which turned out to be a great move for him. That doesn't disprove that his imminent move was to Leeds should they have won the play off final.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 20, 2016, 11:33:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Bentley your assertions in this thread are some of the most laughable I've ever read on this forum, and that is saying something.

Yeah, he was gutted when that whistle blew. The club who he played for for a decade, who gave him his start and who he began with playing on Tuesday afternoons at High Melton in the late 90's won a play off final against Leeds, he was on the pitch and he was gutted. Course he was.

Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 20, 2016, 11:41:16 pm by Bentley Bullet »
RoversAlias
I agree with you. Your portrayal of my stance on the subject is utterly, utterly ridiculous.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 21, 2016, 12:25:35 am by NickDRFC »

I think this is the finest burn ever witnessed on this forum.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 21, 2016, 08:57:25 am by drfchound »

To be fair, that wasn't a shot of just after the goal.
It was at the end of the game.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 21, 2016, 09:02:08 am by GazLaz »
Great set of photos there. Good times.

I miss Jason Price. We could do with another one of him now. Totally unorthodox and awkward but superb at being able to turn and face up defenders. He got himself into great positions and could finish too. Top player and character.

Agree. He was a very strange player wasn't he. I can't think of anyone else we've had like him. He had plenty about him, very little of which was technical ability. Or maybe he did and it just looked like he didn't. Very, very odd but affective player.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 21, 2016, 09:13:32 am by drfchound »
Who could ever forget the" perfect pass" to Heffernan which resulted in the tap in for the first goal at the Millenium Stadium?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 21, 2016, 09:31:15 am by Jonathan »
I tend to think there was some great technique there, but he was gangly and awkward (for a supposed winger when we signed him!) and he disguised it well. Very difficult to pinpoint what his main qualities were, he was just really good and really effective! A proper cult hero.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 21, 2016, 09:38:26 am by DearneValleyRover »
Strange how we are all told different things give. That I was told that Paul Green had agreed a deal with Derby in the March, given he was free to talk to other clubs from the January as he was in his last six months of contract and that info came from 3 different sources.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 21, 2016, 09:52:57 am by roversdude »
DVR I heard the same

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 21, 2016, 04:31:42 pm by les@donr »
I would take Paul Green back, him and Rowe would  boss the midfield in L2, similar to  Stock and Wellens.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 21, 2016, 04:45:51 pm by Savvy »
Green was about to jump ship before he went to Derby. The plan was for him to move to L**ds, once they'd achieved the simple routine task of beating little old Donny at Wembley. Notice Greeny's less happy than the other player's' expression at the end?

What a load of b*llocks.

I'd be absolutely devastated at just playing and being in a promotion winning team at Wembley.

If you got offered better money elsewhere you'd be on the move in the same position. Unless of course you buy into the lovey, dovey, love the club, love the fans type crap.
for green at the time it was not even about money , he would have signed a contract at Christmas if one was offered to him which rovers never did and by the time rovers finally got round to a contract offer it was to late   

That is 100% correct! Paul Green went on Radio Sheffield after his transfer was announced and stated personally that he was not looking to move on, and had he have been offered a contract in January he would have signed it. If, and thats a big if he's legs have gone, the majority of the effort expended would have been in a rovers shirt! Sadly Sean O'Driscoll didn't fancy him, and the rest is history, but if his overall fitness level is acceptable, a one year deal would be a great move for all concerned. One of the best box to box midfielders outside the prem in his prime and I recall having many a debate with Jonathan when he was keeping Sean Thorton out of the starting eleven!!!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 21, 2016, 04:56:47 pm by Jonathan »
I recall having many a debate with Jonathan when he was keeping Sean Thorton out of the starting eleven!!!

If you scroll a bit further down the list of topics there's a thread about players you got it wrong about. I've already held my hands up to that one!

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 21, 2016, 05:05:15 pm by Savvy »
Then respect is due!!!

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 23, 2016, 09:48:58 am by Donny Dub »
I was very disappointed when Greeny left us after that play off win.  He was a favourite player of mine and I did a lot of supporting him when he got his chance with the Republic of Ireland team.  Irish supporters thought he was a terrible player, not fit to wear the shirt!  I told them that they then had their Irish Gennaro Gattuso.
I'd certainly have him back.
Good luck

TinyPortal © 2005-2012