Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:18:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp  (Read 17609 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Billy Sharp
« Reply #30 on January 13, 2018, 10:12:55 am by silent majority »
The ideal means by which to give Marquis some time out, as we don't have a replacement for him.

I would take Billy in a heart beat, but lack of funds means it won't happen, unless Sheff U agree to pay his wages whilst he's here.

What exactly is this lack of funds you keep quoting?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 13, 2018, 10:21:06 am by vaya »
The ideal means by which to give Marquis some time out, as we don't have a replacement for him.

I would take Billy in a heart beat, but lack of funds means it won't happen, unless Sheff U agree to pay his wages whilst he's here.

Is this the same lack of funds that led you to tell everyone to not hold their breath as regarding signing Whiteman?

How did that pan out Alan?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 13, 2018, 10:28:07 am by Herbert Anchovy »
As long as I live I will never forget the atmosphere at the KM when Billy returned to the side after injury. As he stood up from the bench and removed his tracksuit top it was as if an electric current spread around the crowd. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 13, 2018, 10:34:36 am by Filo »
Billy's first goal for us at Glandford Park sticks in my mind, a great header and a great celebration with the Rovers crowd

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 13, 2018, 10:51:29 am by Bentley Bullet »
Billy Sharp - Probably the greatest Rovers player since King Alick.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 13, 2018, 10:56:15 am by Bezza »
Billy was great for us, but he wont want to come back certainly not this season, and would Fergie want him not sure on that.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 13, 2018, 10:58:07 am by bpoolrover »
When people say lack of funds I think because Do said if we signed houghton that would use most of budget up, so going off that signing Ben won't have been cheap either

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 13, 2018, 11:18:21 am by Donnywolf »
Billy's first goal for us at Glandford Park sticks in my mind, a great header and a great celebration with the Rovers crowd

Was that when their mardy Keeper Murphy blasted the Ball at him

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 13, 2018, 12:01:07 pm by silent majority »
When people say lack of funds I think because Do said if we signed houghton that would use most of budget up, so going off that signing Ben won't have been cheap either

And the point I keep making over and over again is that if a reasonable business plan is put in front of the board they will assess its merits and go from there. That was exactly the issue that arose with Ben, the budget had been spent but an opportunity arose, it was assessed and a decision was made which pleased everybody. No arguments from TB or AW, they transferred the funds, the deal was done, and the registration went ahead to enable him to play today. So again what is this lack of funds from certain individuals that keeps being mentioned?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 13, 2018, 12:03:13 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We won't be signing Sharp anyway.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 13, 2018, 12:11:12 pm by RoversAlias »
I said at the start of the season Sharp wouldn’t get 10 goals and was ridiculed. He can’t even get on the pitch now, never mind score.

Yes that makes good reading ... always good with hindsight

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=263118.msg718471#msg718471

Everton have proved useless and Sharp not getting a look in at Blades. If you go against the overall consensus in life people think you are mad. Till you are proved right, then they think you were lucky.

Butler may as well start clearing his locker out now...

You didn't seem to think he was capable (from memory this is so apologies if not) and I think his tally to date has proven you wrong there.

I'm not discussing the Butler thing again, but did admit months ago that you were unfortunately right about Everton. Very right!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 13, 2018, 12:14:41 pm by Campsall rover »
That’s a hell of a statement BB
We could argue that one till the cows come home.
Peter Kitchen, Ian Snodin, Glyn Snodin, Richie Wellens, Brian Stock, Darren Moore, Matt Mills,
Jason Shakell, etc etc.
Players that played in a different league 2nd 3rd & 4th tier.
Billy is certainly one of the top 3/4 goal scorers since King Alick that can’t be questioned.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 13, 2018, 12:56:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Massive buzz when Billy got the ball in box. Can’t remember that in same scale with many other players in living memory.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 13, 2018, 01:03:23 pm by dickos1 »
You cant have been going when Justin Jackson was playing then

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 13, 2018, 01:06:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
Yes, it's the very same lack of funds that DF himself has been telling all and sundry about since the January window opened. What are we supposed to do - call Fergie a liar?

Thanks for the explanation, SM, but perhaps it might be better in future to just not mention anything to do with budgets. Not you in particular, by the way, but anyone connected to the Club.

Perhaps DF can make a perfectly good business case now for a loanee left back!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 13, 2018, 01:12:46 pm by vaya »
Yes, it's the very same lack of funds that DF himself has been telling all and sundry about since the January window opened. What are we supposed to do - call Fergie a liar?

Thanks for the explanation, SM, but perhaps it might be better in future to just not mention anything to do with budgets. Not you in particular, by the way, but anyone connected to the Club.

Can we stop holding our breaths then Alan?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 13, 2018, 01:13:51 pm by Campsall rover »
You cant have been going when Justin Jackson was playing then
Justin Jackson was equivalent to Jimmy Greaves compared to Carl Alford !!!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 13, 2018, 01:21:19 pm by Jonathan »

I think calling DF a liar would be a bit strong. But if we deal with the facts; yes he said last Saturday that there was no money to bring anyone in (and I jumped on that statement myself) and then a few days later we agreed a substantial package to secure Ben Whiteman for the next 3.5 years. So Ferguson's assertion that there were no funds was quite clearly incorrect. Was it a lie, was it a bluff, was it just a throwaway comment? It could have been any of the above but the evidence based fact is that it was wrong. And we are all happy about that, Fergie included.

As for the business case for bringing in loanees, it’s my view that an equally good business case could be put together for not doing so, unless the situation was; an emergency, a view to a long term transfer or an exceptional opportunity.

Update - having just seen today’s lineup perhaps I could make a business case for signing a left back on loan as, for whatever reason, we are not starting our own young left back (Garratt)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:08:37 pm by Jonathan »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 13, 2018, 01:38:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
That’s a hell of a statement BB
We could argue that one till the cows come home.
Peter Kitchen, Ian Snodin, Glyn Snodin, Richie Wellens, Brian Stock, Darren Moore, Matt Mills,
Jason Shakell, etc etc.
Players that played in a different league 2nd 3rd & 4th tier.
Billy is certainly one of the top 3/4 goal scorers since King Alick that can’t be questioned.

In my fifteen or so years watching rovers.  It has to be stock, coppinger, mcindoe for me. Best three I have seen.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 13, 2018, 02:12:09 pm by ian1980 »
DF said that there was no money left in the budget and SM has said further up that this was correct and the budget had been used up.

However, when an opportunity presented itself, the business case was put to the board (which appears to push us beyond the budget) and they assessed it and gave it the go ahead.

The budget is the budget but if, as has happened, a good opportunity comes along I’m pleased that the board haven’t just dismissed it.

Looking at the club now, it’s being run (and decisions being made) far more like a business entity which I think is excellent.

As for getting Sharp back again, I really can’t see that happening from our perspective as well as Sheff Utd’s or indeed Sharps

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 13, 2018, 02:21:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

You never saw Ian Snodin then B.B.?

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 13, 2018, 04:12:07 pm by balbyrover »
Ridicalous statement.  No chance would we get him here.
United would rather him be on there bench than in our first 11.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 14, 2018, 09:45:05 am by mrfrostsdad »
And once again, we would have probably won today with a striker with Sharp's instinct.
God, I wish I could win the lottery. I'd pay his wages myself till the end of the season

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 14, 2018, 11:14:43 am by Draytonian III »
Ian Snodin by far the best player since King Alick

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 14, 2018, 11:38:05 am by Bentley Bullet »
Ian Snodin by far the best player since King Alick

Best at what?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 14, 2018, 12:02:59 pm by colincramb »
This thread is pointless. There is no way on earth he’s coming here in this window. Why on earth would they even let him leave?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 14, 2018, 02:03:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ian Snodin: England U-21 and U-23 international with us. 150 games for one of the best sides in Europe. An injury away from making the squad of an England side that got to the WC semi-final.

Billy Sharp: Good quality Tier 2 striker.

Take your pick.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 14, 2018, 02:45:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Alick Jeffrey was only a tier 2 striker (at best), apart from one under 23 international appearance aged 17. That hasn't stopped him being Rovers greatest ever player. But to say Alick was the best player you would have to ask 'what at'? I'm sure Harry Gregg would claim to be a better goalkeeper, for instance. Also Ian Snodin would claim to be a better defender than King Alick........

As the subject was about Billy Sharp, anyway, I (wrongly, forgetting about your pettiness,) assumed we were discussing strikers anyway.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 14, 2018, 02:52:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pettiness? I call it a difference of opinion, but you can call it what you like.

I agree with you and have said times many that Sharp is the best striker I’ve seen play for us in my lifetime. If you’d said “greatest striker since King Alick” I wouldn’t have demurred.

But you didn’t say that. You said “greatest player”. And I have a different take on that. (I suspect you probably do too but that’s just a guess.)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 14, 2018, 03:03:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Yes, I do. Billy Sharp's the GREATEST Rovers player since Alick Jeffrey.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012