Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:02:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Business done  (Read 9381 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Business done
« on January 04, 2019, 04:09:44 pm by RoversAlias »
So says McCann, there's an article on the Free Press website about it. McCann says we've made our signings, the only player likely to leave is Taylor and that Marquis isnt for sale. Article also says that theres been interest from clubs in Rowe, Mason, Butler and Wright but that we've no intention of selling any of them.

What do we make of that?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Business done
« Reply #1 on January 04, 2019, 04:13:21 pm by IDM »
We have a settled squad with the new additions.?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 04, 2019, 04:21:44 pm by selby »
  I make that great news RA.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 04, 2019, 04:24:22 pm by keith79 »
How many of them player mentioned are out ofc contract at the end of the season

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 04, 2019, 04:26:10 pm by Bezza »
Proving to be a strong manager trying to get Taylor out, love what he's doing.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 04, 2019, 04:26:41 pm by Retdon1 »
We really need to start tying the likes of mason, wright and Andrew etc down on longer contracts. If there is interest in them from championship clubs we will struggle to keep them. This should have been done a year ago and not left to 6 months until their contracts run out.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 04, 2019, 04:35:58 pm by NickDRFC »
The intriguing thing for me is the interest in Butler, think the others are to be expected. Someone eyeing him up for a player/coach or even player/manager role?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 04, 2019, 04:39:57 pm by drfchound »
Butler is one of our most consistent players so I can understand other clubs being interested in signing him.
He is far from finished.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 04, 2019, 04:40:39 pm by IDM »
How many of them player mentioned are out ofc contract at the end of the season

most, of not all of them I think.  However GM goes on to say the club is looking at extending contracts behind the scenes without naming names.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 04, 2019, 04:43:04 pm by drfchound »
It goes without question that the club will be negotiating contracts with players.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 04, 2019, 04:48:38 pm by CottyRover »
We really need to start tying the likes of mason, wright and Andrew etc down on longer contracts. If there is interest in them from championship clubs we will struggle to keep them. This should have been done a year ago and not left to 6 months until their contracts run out.

A year ago McCann was not our manager. Judging from interviews and DFP reports conversations have been had with them all. The present situation came about  because of the sudden departure of DF and GM is taking the opportunity to build his own squad. The report RA  refers to suggests that GM wants to keep the current group together and contract talks will be happening.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 04, 2019, 04:51:48 pm by NickDRFC »
Butler is one of our most consistent players so I can understand other clubs being interested in signing him.
He is far from finished.

Not doubting that but he's 35 and still part of the first team. If he was sitting on the bench I could understand another club coming in for him, so surely anyone looking at him now would be looking to get him involved in a dual role? It's not like a Championship club would be coming in for him.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 04, 2019, 04:51:53 pm by the vicar »
Over half have had chats with GM and contracts are being drawn up but we always do leave it late

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 04, 2019, 04:58:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Over half have had chats with GM and contracts are being drawn up but we always do leave it late

Do you listen to McCann's interviews?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 04, 2019, 04:59:21 pm by RedJ »
The man's only been in the job half a season, he's hardly going to want to make the same mistake Ferguson did and dole out lengthy extensions only to then discover they aren't what he wants or needs a few months down the line.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 04, 2019, 05:09:02 pm by the vicar »

meaning

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 04, 2019, 05:15:42 pm by RoversAlias »
For me, aside from Mason and Wright i dont mind that we havent yet tied down anyone else. Theees Rowe too, but even he can't get in the team at the moment. Don't get me wrong I'd like a lot of these players to stay but McCann is still assessing and we don't want another situation with duff players like Evina, Lund and Middleton tied down to long  contracts then we can't shift them when they don't progress.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 04, 2019, 05:24:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

meaning

Meaning have you listened to his interviews about contracts? As others have eluded to, there are reasons and 'late' is a matter of conjecture. I don't think we should be worried.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 04, 2019, 05:25:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-discusses-prospect-of-further-signings-and-potential-outgoings-1-9521312/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Talks already taken place with certain players about contract extentions

He added: “I’ve not had any phone calls and hopefully we’ll keep it that way.

“We’re not in a position where we want to sell anyone.

“We want to keep the squad together. We want to keep making the squad stronger, which we are.

“Over the next few months we’ll extend a few of the players’ contracts, which we’ve agreed and done months in advance.

“We’re in a good place at the moment.”
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:31:06 pm by steve@dcfd »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 04, 2019, 06:01:00 pm by the vicar »

meaning

Meaning have you listened to his interviews about contracts? As others have eluded to, there are reasons and 'late' is a matter of conjecture. I don't think we should be worried.
yes most of it

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 04, 2019, 06:05:22 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Clearly there is a risk but I feel we've been burnt by issuing contracts too early.  But no doubt I expect someone will be lost.  Equally we just move on to another.  The bigger risk imo is losing McCann the coaches, he's proving important.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 04, 2019, 06:05:55 pm by LincsRover »
If that’s it then I’ll be happy - main thing for me was extending Herbie Kane & Malik Wilks loans, getting in defensive cover, possibly a striker in case marquis gets injured and keeping Marquis. All achieved so hopefully no nasty surprises and we’re good to go. 🤞🤞🤞

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 04, 2019, 06:33:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Interesting to hear Sadliers interview. He speaks well and sounds hungry also saying the intensity of training is a step up from what he's used to.

McCann on the young Swansea lad, says he's been tracking him for a while so sounds like another try before we sign permanent possibility.

I feel assured McCann has clearly continued his thoroughness in looking ahead and is shaping this squad very well.

If the business is done then we can continue to concentrate on the football. It will be interesting to see how other clubs are affected by comings and goings. Will the Potts departure at Barnsley be destabilising?

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 04, 2019, 07:28:49 pm by 1879Rovers »
Great that it is all done by January 3rd. No messing about at the end of the month and wasting a month.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 04, 2019, 07:56:45 pm by Campsall rover »
He wanted half a season to take a good look at all the playing staff. Very sensible imo.
Now he will know who he wants in the trenches with him and who he doesn’t want.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 04, 2019, 08:21:21 pm by drfchound »
He wanted half a season to take a good look at all the playing staff. Very sensible imo.
Now he will know who he wants in the trenches with him and who he doesn’t want.

......and some people didn’t believe that McCann was actually doing that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 04, 2019, 08:38:24 pm by dickos1 »
Mason and wright should have been sorted by now, maybe they have. But it would be a bit of a disaster if those two left on free transfers in the summer because we’ve let their contracts run down

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 04, 2019, 09:05:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Mason and wright should have been sorted by now, maybe they have. But it would be a bit of a disaster if those two left on free transfers in the summer because we’ve let their contracts run down
Dickos do you think GM is stupid? He will be sorting it. If their agents are asking for stupid money then the club will not be held to ransom. One way or another they will sign or they won’t.
Let the club sort it.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 04, 2019, 10:16:07 pm by mpc123 »
Regards not wanting to sell anyone, I'm sure everyone will have a price

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 04, 2019, 10:38:32 pm by adamtherover »
Out of interest is there any players in the starting 11 that folk genuinely are.not bothered about keeping?  If we get promoted that's a different ball game, but as far as L1 goes, it's.a pretty good side..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012