Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:36:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If it is Richie  (Read 9909 times)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Re: If it is Richie
« Reply #30 on May 14, 2021, 08:18:32 am by keyser_soze »
We have to trust in the process. They obviously know more about Wellens than most and its to their credit if he has been given a clear run despite any preconceptions.

As for him not getting on with Butler - i seem to remember the Bournemouth fans saying we would never sign a certain player of theirs as he had an affair with one of current players wives - but yet we still signed him and they went from success to success.

That said - i would probably have recruited Wellens as soon as he left Salford, and saved them a load of money, but good that they have done the due dilligence.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 14, 2021, 08:25:39 am by tommy toes »
I've met Wellens in a non football capacity and will just say he didn't impress me at all.
But will stil support him as manager if he gets it

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 14, 2021, 08:41:31 am by Jonathan »
Slight shift in the odds back towards Robinson but Wellens still 4/9 favourite.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 14, 2021, 08:55:31 am by godlike1 »
Ha that's exactly what I mean. Unless someone has inside info, and it sounds like the board have not made their minds up yet, uts pure guess work and the odds are not really telling us anything.

Could be the wildcard is the one causing the decision to be difficult for all we know.

Fair play to the club for keeping this so close to their chest. I think they know this could be a defining appointment and as such I want them to be confident in themselves that they have the right man

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 14, 2021, 08:59:09 am by dickos1 »
The wildcard eustace has dropped significantly, that wouldn't happen without some inside knowledge

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 14, 2021, 09:25:41 am by sha66y »
If it is Richie I’ll be more than happy...
Not a first year rookie manager so probably curbed the aggression,

knows what it feels like to be both regaled ( Swindon) and sacked ( Salford) so has added humility to his hard assed attitude,

Can’t see him tolerating anything less than 110% and actually doing something about it
that means “ my way or highway” ..... with the team he would assemble im sure they would already know that....our bunch might get a wake up call or a taxi!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 14, 2021, 09:45:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
If it is Richie I’ll be more than happy...
Not a first year rookie manager so probably curbed the aggression,

knows what it feels like to be both regaled ( Swindon) and sacked ( Salford) so has added humility to his hard assed attitude,

Can’t see him tolerating anything less than 110% and actually doing something about it
that means “ my way or highway” ..... with the team he would assemble im sure they would already know that....our bunch might get a wake up call or a taxi!

That's my concern about My way or the highway. You have to be careful how many times you use that tactic, as with a relatively small squad, you can’t afford to ostracise players as you never know when you might need them.  By contrast, it can work. I would imagine he would be brutally honest with certain players like Bostock for example.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 14, 2021, 10:05:27 am by DonnyOsmond »
He clearly had players on his side at Swindon, he had loanees wanting to return in the January after their loans ended and he had players like Jaiyesimi signing permanently.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 14, 2021, 10:10:21 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, it's not all negative. He must have achieved some good things and over a season,  it doesn't happen by accident. He may wish he hadn't jumped ship when he did but that's all part of lifes rich learning experiences and one I expect our board will have questioned him about.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 14, 2021, 10:17:55 am by Goole Rover »
I’ve never heard of “my way or highway” but fully understand the meaning it’s a mistake that many rookie managers make resulting in the loss of good people. In my experience coaching and collaboration worked best but of course I’ve never been a professional football manager. I think that Richie would use the former which could be costly.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 14, 2021, 10:31:05 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The one thing he will get at Doncaster if it's him is control. He will be backed and he will get the time to build the squad he wants.

With where we find ourselves now that's almost a 2-3 year job imo. You either go short term and get experience to get promoted.or build more slowly to have a good young side that will improve.

The latter works better imo. If successful it's financially better and also allows a better transition to step up as happened under sod.  We saw wellens, woods, o Connor etc, excellent league 1 players having their first go in the championship and improving which did allow us to kick on.  That's what we should aspire to again.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 14, 2021, 10:45:12 am by DRNaith »
I'm on the fence regarding Wellens, but I wonder how quickly people would jump to conclusions if there was a falling-out between him and a player. Would people be prepared to believe that it wasn't just Wellens being an abrasive moron?

I'm hoping, if he gets the job, that this "reputation" is purely just down to times an incidents has been discussed, rather than the total number of incidents.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 14, 2021, 11:13:43 am by sha66y »
I think any Wellens acquisition will be fully aware of the nature of the man...they will know he won’t tolerate weakness or laziness, and I’m sure he won’t blast players for below standard performances, as long as they know it’s just a blip....

I can’t see wellens selecting any players that don’t fit his ideal....so the chaff is what we already have , and if they don’t get the man.....they get the can!

We need serious guts in this team throughout......

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 14, 2021, 04:00:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I hope whoever is the new manager does well, I'm sure we all do.

However, my gut feeling regarding Wellens is that if people wanted a manager who won't be the fourth in a row to piss off at a moment's notice without a backwards glance when it suited them, they could very well end up disappointed.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 14, 2021, 04:08:19 pm by sha66y »

However, my gut feeling regarding Wellens is that if people wanted a manager who won't be the fourth in a row to piss off at a moment's notice without a backwards glance when it suited them, they could very well end up disappointed.

Unfortunately....that is the nature of the game, we are a 3rd tier feeder club at the end of the day...

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 14, 2021, 04:08:50 pm by grayx »

I can see where you’re coming from,but this is why the owners are supposedly putting something in place to stop this happening. Obviously it wont stop it as such, but it should make sure the club get well compensated ,which in turn may deter clubs poaching him.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 14, 2021, 04:10:27 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Unfortunately....that is the nature of the game, we are a 3rd tier feeder club at the end of the day...

A lot of people on here want someone who will show a bit of loyalty and then say they want Wellens....

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 14, 2021, 06:07:31 pm by drfchound »

I would imagine that that it a possibility whoever we appoint.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 14, 2021, 06:15:43 pm by Retdon1 »
It will be interesting to see what happens with Butler now considering the relationship between him and Wellens

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 14, 2021, 06:26:58 pm by sha66y »
No manager will pass up the chance to move on to a higher level, however having said that ..who would poach a manager unless he was proving his worth....it’s a catch 22 that we must learn to live with rather than trying to stop.....

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 14, 2021, 06:50:37 pm by ravenrover »
It will be interesting to see what happens with Butler now considering the relationship between him and Wellens
Can you expand on that? Is there bad blood?

Amended some very bad spelling
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:38:02 pm by ravenrover »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 14, 2021, 06:54:13 pm by Retdon1 »
Can you expand on that? Is their bad blood?

They had a punch up in the changing rooms after a game

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 14, 2021, 06:54:34 pm by EasyforDennis »

Which one has the bad blood?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 14, 2021, 06:56:40 pm by Lesonthewest »
If it is Richie, wonder if he would move closer, presuming he still lives in the Manchester area. Was there not a problem with him travelling previously.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 14, 2021, 07:01:26 pm by Barmby Rover »
Good luck to them no matter who takes over as first team coach with Rovers, they have a lot of rebuilding to do and quite a bit of recruitment to add to that, a busy summer, I just hope the board backs him with what he wants.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 14, 2021, 07:48:33 pm by Janso »
It'll either be an absolute shit show and he'll implode or it'll be an unbridled success. I don't think there's going to be much middle ground.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 14, 2021, 07:53:57 pm by idler »

They had a punch up in the changing rooms after a game
He had a punch up at half time with Brian Stock once and it never stopped them playing together. He said in Copps podcast that he cares so much he wants everyone to play to their best potential. Whatever happens during or after a game is forgotten (by him) by the next training session.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 14, 2021, 08:52:51 pm by normal rules »
Can it get any worse than the last few months? I don’t believe it can. If it is Richie, then good luck to him.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 14, 2021, 09:28:46 pm by StocktonRover »
If it is Richie, wonder if he would move closer, presuming he still lives in the Manchester area. Was there not a problem with him travelling previously.
Didn’t he get a driving ban?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012