Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:13:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If it is Richie  (Read 9908 times)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: If it is Richie
« Reply #60 on May 15, 2021, 07:28:13 am by EasyforDennis »
It really isn't a big issue or anything new with players getting upset with each other and maybe at times the odd punch being thrown (In the dressing room or training field of course). Maybe had some of our players had a bit of fire in their bellies last season we might not have had such a disastrous 2nd half.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 15, 2021, 08:15:35 am by Jonathan »
My views as per another thread:

It looks very much like it’s Wellens. And when you listen to his interviews, once you get past the Manchester accent and occasional butchering of the English language, he has some really insightful views on how the game should be played.

He’s still a developing manager (and I think that’s what we wanted / expected) and I honestly think he might surprise a few on here and you’ll find he’s a far more balanced and considered character than his reputation suggests. As he develops, his character will evolve and I dare say he’s not the same person that clearly upset people with his approach and actions 10 years or so ago. We all change our perspectives as we grow, don’t we. 

In the interviews I’ve listened to there’s been plenty of responsibility, humility and sharing praise with others. But clearly the desire is there and his expectations in terms of what he gets back from the players will be very high. We desperately need that.   

Let’s wipe the slate clean and give him a chance. It’ll be a tough job, like it would’ve been for any manager, and it won’t all be plain sailing. But it’s in all our interests for him to succeed. He’s obviously convinced the panel, who don’t suffer fools, and they’ve picked him ahead of a load of other decent candidates. Given the views some people have on him, it would have been very easy to just chuck his application out and pick someone else, but it looks like they haven't, and we know they are acting in the best interests of the club. So now we should back him too.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 15, 2021, 08:42:48 am by i_ateallthepies »

It looks very much like it’s Wellens. And when you listen to his interviews, once you get past the Manchester accent and occasional butchering of the English language, he has some really insightful views on how the game should be played.

He’s still a developing manager (and I think that’s what we wanted / expected) and I honestly think he might surprise a few on here and you’ll find he’s a far more balanced and considered character than his reputation suggests. As he develops, his character will evolve and I dare say he’s not the same person that clearly upset people with his approach and actions 10 years or so ago. We all change our perspectives as we grow, don’t we. 

In the interviews I’ve listened to there’s been plenty of responsibility, humility and sharing praise with others. But clearly the desire is there and his expectations in terms of what he gets back from the players will be very high. We desperately need that.   

Let’s wipe the slate clean and give him a chance. It’ll be a tough job, like it would’ve been for any manager, and it won’t all be plain sailing. But it’s in all our interests for him to succeed. He’s obviously convinced the panel, who don’t suffer fools, and they’ve picked him ahead of a load of other decent candidates. Given the views some people have on him, it would have been very easy to just chuck his application out and pick someone else, but it looks like they haven't, and we know they are acting in the best interests of the club. So now we should back him too.

Excellent post, Jonathan.  100% agree with every word.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 15, 2021, 08:48:14 am by silent majority »
I would agree with that as well Jonathan.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 15, 2021, 09:46:07 am by GazLaz »

I did exactly the same yesterday regarding the interviews.

One thing about Richie is that he absolutely lives and  breathes football. He loves the game. He has a clear vision about what he expects from players and how he wants the game to be played. He’s very ambitious and has very higher expectations of himself and others, I’m sure that was something that was drilled into him at Man United. If we play well as a team or individuals he will say and if we perform poorly he will make it clear he’s not happy.

I’m not saying he’s the next Alex Ferguson but he’s a serious operator that means business. I think we all know he’s probably a bit arrogant at times and perhaps not the most clean cut manager  possible but I’m sure he will put everything into being a success.

I like the fact that in his interviews you can tell he has a really good tactical and technical knowledge. You never ever got a sign of that from Moore. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:22:25 am by GazLaz »

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 15, 2021, 10:43:36 am by 5minstogo »
If you listen to his first Salford interview then a lot of it stands out. Mainly his desire to manage in the Premier League but his acknowledgment that the only way a manager gets that opportunity is to gain promotion there.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 15, 2021, 10:45:42 am by drfchound »

I did exactly the same yesterday regarding the interviews.

One thing about Richie is that he absolutely lives and  breathes football. He loves the game. He has a clear vision about what he expects from players and how he wants the game to be played. He’s very ambitious and has very higher expectations of himself and others, I’m sure that was something that was drilled into him at Man United. If we play well as a team or individuals he will say and if we perform poorly he will make it clear he’s not happy.

I’m not saying he’s the next Alex Ferguson but he’s a serious operator that means business. I think we all know he’s probably a bit arrogant at times and perhaps not the most clean cut manager  possible but I’m sure he will put everything into being a success.

I like the fact that in his interviews you can tell he has a really foot tactical and technical knowledge. You never ever got a sign of that from Moore.

I like the two above posts.
Common sense attitudes are usually best.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 15, 2021, 11:18:24 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I think Jonathan and Gaz have effectively closed this thread down now. Sanity and common sense have won the day. There’s nothing else to see here!

VikingRich

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 15, 2021, 01:56:43 pm by VikingRich »
I was impressed with him when listening to his interview on A league of his own" with Coops.

Abrasive yes but clearly has a good footballing brain.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on May 15, 2021, 02:32:21 pm by Branton Rover »
It was interesting to hear a Swindon fan on the radio said they went from Neanderthal football under Phil Brown to modern, expansive & progressive football under Richie Wellens and now he said they’ve reverted back to old school rubbish under John Sheridan - encouraging signs from our perspective if it is Wellens.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 15, 2021, 02:54:04 pm by graingrover »
I reiterate my preference for Wellens and imagine he would be delighted to have Copps as his assistant but I think that is not possible since has no coaching badges .He could however be seconded on the coaching ride by the existing staff having Copps in the rôle of mentor for the players .I can’t wait for tomorrow .

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on May 15, 2021, 02:58:11 pm by eastender »
I reiterate my preference for Wellens and imagine he would be delighted to have Copps as his assistant but I think that is not possible since has no coaching badges .He could however be seconded on the coaching ride by the existing staff having Copps in the rôle of mentor for the players .I can’t wait for tomorrow .

Why what's happening tomorrow.  :P

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 15, 2021, 04:07:36 pm by MachoMadness »
Tomorrow is Wellensball Eve of course!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 15, 2021, 04:39:58 pm by Dare to dream! »
Will be interesting, given our last two managers what deal Wellens gets.

I have a feeling we could see him given a 2/3 year deal.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 15, 2021, 04:41:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Some sensible posts above.

Looks like Wellens unless there is a twist in the tale.

Very happy if it is and think we will not be bored watching his team play.
We all need to give 100% support and not expect us to be top of the league by end of September and start moaning if we are not.

Let’s see what the squad looks like in August first before we start making any predictions for next season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 15, 2021, 05:07:25 pm by Alan Southstand »
If it’s RW, as the thread title says, I’m sure the Board will have consulted both Copps and our new TIM. Maybe it’s a good solid word from Copps that swung the balance in Ritchie’s favour.

Of the 3, and bearing in mind one of the requirements for the job, Ritchie is the one most likely to give us an entertaining brand of football. Whether it’s effective will be down to the calibre of players he’s allowed to bring in.

We shall see what happens next.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 16, 2021, 10:12:37 am by DonnyOsmond »
Just found this on the Swindon forum.

https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=58807.msg1619587#msg1619587

Largely positive. Sad that it looks like he isn't big on youth academies, but that may due to Swindons being crap.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on May 16, 2021, 11:05:52 am by since-1969 »
It is our responsibility to unite behind him & give him all the support he needs and deserves.

I know Richie has probably rubbed people up the wrong way previously but if he does get appointed the board will clearly think he’s up to it & buys into the ‘family club’ aspect of the project - to those who are most sceptical of RW, I remind you we are appointing a football manager not a social worker
What does it say about ability to attract people WITH experience of dealing in the transfer market or recruitment or has a promotion or a track record of building a team etc . When all they end up going for is populist ex-player who hadn’t done any of the above . IMO if Wellens is the best DRFC can attract then it’s going to be another sorry season . WE shouldn’t have  put up with another novice AGAIN running the show.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 16, 2021, 11:08:41 am by Janso »

Largely positive. Sad that it looks like he isn't big on youth academies, but that may due to Swindons being crap.

Christ, Paul Jewell. THERE'S a blast from the past.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 16, 2021, 11:17:11 am by dickos1 »
It is our responsibility to unite behind him & give him all the support he needs and deserves.

I know Richie has probably rubbed people up the wrong way previously but if he does get appointed the board will clearly think he’s up to it & buys into the ‘family club’ aspect of the project - to those who are most sceptical of RW, I remind you we are appointing a football manager not a social worker
What does it say about ability to attract people WITH experience of dealing in the transfer market or recruitment or has a promotion or a track record of building a team etc . When all they end up going for is populist ex-player who hadn’t done any of the above . IMO if Wellens is the best DRFC can attract then it’s going to be another sorry season . WE shouldn’t have  put up with another novice AGAIN running the show.

Utter nonsense

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on May 16, 2021, 11:33:21 am by nortikorner »
What if its not Wellens ,people have closed there minds it must be Wellens ,

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 16, 2021, 11:44:05 am by DonnyOsmond »

He ticks off those boxes Hun x

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 16, 2021, 11:45:27 am by sha66y »

Quite a few unsubstantiated remarks there!

I’m sure you will enjoy another sorry season, it will also allow you the oxygen to shout “ I told you so” at the top of your lungs....

You are not a very good supporter at all are you?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 16, 2021, 12:01:24 pm by Janso »

Quite a few unsubstantiated remarks there!

Pretty much everything he's ever posted in one sentence.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 16, 2021, 12:10:22 pm by MachoMadness »

Sounds like he's keen on playing out from the back. I personally rate that approach, but I know others hate it so buckle up chaps!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 16, 2021, 12:10:58 pm by Jonathan »
Interesting point to note that Wellens rejected several offers to leave Swindon prior to accepting the Salford switch, and that it was at least in part driven by the mess Swindon were in and the need for compensation. I can remember Wellens being linked with other moves from Swindon and it’s encouraging to know that he didn’t just go at the first opportunity.

I’m loathe to rise to the comments from 1969, but on the issue of experience in transfer dealings, we’ve literally just appointed a new Talent Identification Manager to bring expertise, support and consistency in this area.

Wellens is a good developing manager that will want to bring attractive attacking and winning football to DRFC. It’s okay for people not to particularly like him based on things that happened in the past, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if he brings success then I’ve not doubt that people will look past that in the interests of the club they support - a club that is much bigger than any individual. If and when Wellens is announced tomorrow, we should all do our best to get right behind the club as we head into a new era.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 16, 2021, 12:12:10 pm by Jonathan »

Sounds like he's keen on playing out from the back. I personally rate that approach, but I know others hate it so buckle up chaps!

Looking at how Swindon played, I think it’s done at a much higher tempo than we’ve seen this last couple of years (since McCann left).

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on May 16, 2021, 12:42:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Looking at how Swindon played, I think it’s done at a much higher tempo than we’ve seen this last couple of years (since McCann left).

Was just gonna say the same thing!

Playing out from the back works if you play quickly and can catch teams out of shape. We have played too slowly to use it to our advantage.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on May 16, 2021, 12:50:25 pm by ravenrover »
Just trying to think back but didn't we struggle against Oldham at home in the season they were finally relegated when Wellens was their manager
(I know we always struggle against Oldham)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 16, 2021, 01:05:26 pm by GazLaz »
Interesting point to note that Wellens rejected several offers to leave Swindon prior to accepting the Salford switch, and that it was at least in part driven by the mess Swindon were in and the need for compensation. I can remember Wellens being linked with other moves from Swindon and it’s encouraging to know that he didn’t just go at the first opportunity.

I’m loathe to rise to the comments from 1969, but on the issue of experience in transfer dealings, we’ve literally just appointed a new Talent Identification Manager to bring expertise, support and consistency in this area.

Wellens is a good developing manager that will want to bring attractive attacking and winning football to DRFC. It’s okay for people not to particularly like him based on things that happened in the past, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if he brings success then I’ve not doubt that people will look past that in the interests of the club they support - a club that is much bigger than any individual. If and when Wellens is announced tomorrow, we should all do our best to get right behind the club as we head into a new era.

The Salford gig was a pretty difficult offer for him to refuse. His hometown club, no ceiling to their potential progression, an ambition that matched his own, the ex Man U boys connection... nearly impossible to refuse.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012