Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:11:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Caolan Lavery  (Read 14312 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: Caolan Lavery
« Reply #30 on January 22, 2023, 10:22:27 am by Draytonian III »
If you go on the Scunthorpe forum via the link on this forum, it’s the main story. It reads that the Iron know he’s leaving

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 22, 2023, 10:32:13 am by dickos1 »
Because at 30 there is no resale value.

Of course there is,
If he comes on an 18 month deal and scores 25 goal, there’ll be clubs happy to pay good
Money for a 31 year old.
The age isn’t the issue it’s making sure the players we want to keep have long enough contracts

In the past 50 years, which 30 year old+ players have we received a decent fee for?

Of our top 25 player sales of all time, not one of them has been over 30 years old. It's obviously a fantasy.

He could do well for us, but there is no way we are going to get a decent fee for a player in League Two aged 31 or ever 32.

Exactly which is why it shouldn’t be a major consideration when signing a player

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 22, 2023, 10:38:55 am by Surrey Rover »

Of course there is,
If he comes on an 18 month deal and scores 25 goal, there’ll be clubs happy to pay good
Money for a 31 year old.
The age isn’t the issue it’s making sure the players we want to keep have long enough contracts

In the past 50 years, which 30 year old+ players have we received a decent fee for?

Of our top 25 player sales of all time, not one of them has been over 30 years old. It's obviously a fantasy.

He could do well for us, but there is no way we are going to get a decent fee for a player in League Two aged 31 or ever 32.
This time last year Wrexham signed 30 year old Ollie Palmer from Wimbledon for £300000 on a three and half year deal. Now personally I'd be very concerned if we replicated that sort of transaction but clearly there are clubs out there prepared to pay big money for 30+ lower league strikers. Paddy Madden is another who moved for a six figure fee when Stockport signed him from Fleetwood after he had turned 31 on a three year deal.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 22, 2023, 10:48:24 am by silent majority »
Ffs what happened to us wanting to be sustainable. Signings like this (and Clayton and Agard last Jan) don’t scream sustainability do they.
What has sustainability got to do with this signing? ( if he is signing )

Agreed CR, this has nothing to do with sustainability.

Sustainability is simple;

Income = Expenditure

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 22, 2023, 11:28:04 am by i_ateallthepies »

Of course there is,
Money for a 31 year old.

So, in the last 10 years how many of the players of any age that have come through our club have we received a fee for?  It really isn't a prime factor in selecting players.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 22, 2023, 11:30:37 am by Canadian Rover »
Ffs what happened to us wanting to be sustainable. Signings like this (and Clayton and Agard last Jan) don’t scream sustainability do they.

Income = Expenditure

Football is an upside down industry too though SM

Expenditure also eventually = income (to more extreme circumstances/lengths than other industries)

*** I do think this is a good signing for us in our position *** I imagine even a short term contract will have extensions written into it for both the players and the clubs benefits.

I'm happy as a supporter with the sustainable model but think that our youth progression system needs to be much more of a major factor into our first team.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 22, 2023, 11:39:03 am by Thorney »
Just in terms of lavery. I couldn't care less if he has a resale value or not. He has been brought in with one thing in mind and that is to help and score goals to push us upwards. If he gets double digits by the end of this season I don't care if he moves on for 1 million or 1 pence.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 22, 2023, 11:53:28 am by vaya »
Haven't we been perennially linked with Lavery in the past?
I initially thought this one was of those threads where a previous rumoured target is now revealed to be playing in the Uttar Pradesh Second Division.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 22, 2023, 11:57:39 am by eastender »
Scunthorpe have confirmed that he has left the Club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 22, 2023, 12:22:01 pm by silent majority »
You can’t build into the budget unanticipated transfer fees therefore they would be ignored for budget setting purposes.

The playing budget would have a certain amount set aside for player purchasing and transfer fees though because it would be putting the recruitment team in a virtual straight jacket.

Any funds received as income would be made available and boost the playing budget.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 22, 2023, 12:22:49 pm by Rovers91 »
Is he likely to have more of an impact if he comes on than Agard? He probably is but I wouldnt want to see him on a deal longer than 6months.
Still think we need another wide man, 2 cm and left back cover.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 22, 2023, 12:47:37 pm by graingrover »
There is a video clip on youtube of him scoring a hat trick recently against Maidstone.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 22, 2023, 12:54:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
Scunthorpe are rock bottom of the National League. Two points behind…Maidstone, who have lost their last 7 league games in a row.

His hat trick was against Maidenhead btw.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 22, 2023, 12:57:55 pm by Dare to dream! »
23 goals in 134 appearances in League 2…he will fit right in.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 22, 2023, 12:58:56 pm by GazLaz »

Income = Expenditure

Is sustainability not the ability to maintain a certain level? We are on a race to the bottom football wise.

If Lavery is good enough, why didn’t we sign him in the summer??

What happened to the two 30+ year old players we signed last January that I said were poor footballing decisions??

In terms of a short term signing as a stop gap between now and May, he could contribute a bit. We need to be thinking a bit broader than that though. We need continuity in strategy and decision making, I thought JC was brought in to do that. It’s obviously not the case if he wanted Clayton last January and acted like he was the answer to our prayers, and this January he has been deemed surplus to requirements. We are guessing on the football side. Pure and simple. Making it up as they go along.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 22, 2023, 01:09:41 pm by Janso »
Haven't we been perennially linked with Lavery in the past?
I initially thought this one was of those threads where a previous rumoured target is now revealed to be playing in the Uttar Pradesh Second Division.

Just waiting for the Gary Madine rumours to start up again.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 22, 2023, 01:22:58 pm by Campsall rover »

Income = Expenditure

Is sustainability not the ability to maintain a certain level? We are on a race to the bottom football wise.

What happened to the two 30+ year old players we signed last January that I said were poor footballing decisions??

In terms of a short term signing as a stop gap between now and May, he could contribute a bit. We need to be thinking a bit broader than that though. We need continuity in strategy and decision making, I thought JC was brought in to do that. It’s obviously not the case if he wanted Clayton last January and acted like he was the answer to our prayers, and this January he has been deemed surplus to requirements. We are guessing on the football side. Pure and simple. Making it up as they go along.
Come on GazLaz  tell us who we should be signing in the January window? 

Who is available that’s really good for our level that other teams are going to let go.
Seriously, don’t you think we would be trying to get them if they were available.

Players are under contract in Jan.  Only ones being released are those surplus to requirements because either not good enough or as in Scunthorpe’s case need to be off the wage bill.

So we take a punt on someone of Lavery’s ilk or we go down the loan route of a youngster from top 2 Leagues. Now we all no how that has worked out recently.

In the Summer we should be able to recruit the 4 players we probably need to give us the best chance of taking us up.  ( unless we manage it this season )  play offs are still realistic and then it’s a 1 in 4 chance.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 22, 2023, 01:30:28 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Both Bradford and Walsall fans stating he is either useless or anonymous

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 22, 2023, 01:40:01 pm by Danmckay456 »
You can’t build into the budget unanticipated transfer fees therefore they would be ignored for budget setting purposes.

The playing budget would have a certain amount set aside for player purchasing and transfer fees though because it would be putting the recruitment team in a virtual straight jacket.

Any funds received as income would be made available and boost the playing budget.

Like the Whiteman and Marquis fees they have been invested in the playing budgets , bad as Baldwin etc …..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 22, 2023, 01:50:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Income = Expenditure

Who wanted Clayton last January? I don't recall anyone making a song and dance about him being the answer to our prayers, just a gamble on an experienced player we needed in central midfield.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 22, 2023, 01:53:06 pm by dickos1 »
Scunthorpe are rock bottom of the National League. Two points behind…Maidstone, who have lost their last 7 league games in a row.

His hat trick was against Maidenhead btw.

He’s scored 8 goals in 18 games for the worst side Scunthorpe have ever had

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 22, 2023, 01:59:07 pm by Ronnie Dovers »

Income = Expenditure

Copps wasn't HoF last January when we signed Clayton and Agard, so why are you linking him to that (admittedly poor) transfer window?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the resale value of a player much less important when you're picking them up for free? And on, I'd assume, pretty low wages?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 22, 2023, 02:00:01 pm by ncRover »
What are his best attributes? What can we expect from his play?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 22, 2023, 02:22:04 pm by GazLaz »

Income = Expenditure

Copps wasn't HoF last January when we signed Clayton and Agard, so why are you linking him to that (admittedly poor) transfer window?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the resale value of a player much less important when you're picking them up for free? And on, I'd assume, pretty low wages?

Was he not part of the transfer committee??

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 22, 2023, 02:37:13 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
If we end up signing him, I think it brings good experience, and no doubt someone hungry to do well. His record doesn’t have to be amazing, we’re mid league 2, not paying any fees, as long as he works hard to try and contribute, that works for me.

I think some on this forum still think we’re operating like we’re in the championship, we dip into the free market because that’s how we can maximise the funds we do have.

There is no instant fix here and it’s going to take seasons to build competitive squads (built around a manager if we can keep one longer than a season)

The last success we had is probably the McCann side, which was built by Ferguson over a number of seasons.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 22, 2023, 04:12:23 pm by roversdude »
The side McCann was instrumental in ripping to pieces before he left and continued by DM and his use of loan players

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 22, 2023, 04:23:42 pm by ravenrover »
Shall we all just wait until the rumours have been cofirmed when the Club sign him? People getting in a tiz over something that may or may not happen.
Nothing changes there then

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 22, 2023, 04:33:06 pm by silent majority »

Income = Expenditure

Sustainability as discussed on here in recent weeks, and after GB released his New Year statement, was entirely focussed on the financial aspects of the club and was meant to demonstrate how well CD was performing in terms of meeting the financial obligations of the club. It was meant to show that we no longer need a rich benefactor and that the money handed over by them every season was no longer required.

Because the statement came from GB then it had a commercial perspective.

To see a football perspective we need to hear from DS/JC and then we might be able to have that discussion Gaz. And those chaps were not in position during the summer, or at least one of them wasn't, which means we may not be able to answer your questions for that reason.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 22, 2023, 04:43:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
We’re all waiting what JC has to say about how we intend improving our current position and putting an end to this downward spiral we seem to be on.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 22, 2023, 05:26:35 pm by scawsby steve »
Both Bradford and Walsall fans stating he is either useless or anonymous

Just like what the Millwall and Portsmouth fans said about Marquis.

Means nothing.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012