Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:00:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Caolan Lavery  (Read 14314 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Caolan Lavery
« Reply #60 on January 22, 2023, 05:30:44 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Both Bradford and Walsall fans stating he is either useless or anonymous

Just like what the Millwall and Portsmouth fans said about Marquis.

Means nothing.

I’m aware of that, just passing on what I’ve read

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 22, 2023, 06:45:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Anyway, Chall is providing Sunday amusement for us all on this transfer anyhow.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 22, 2023, 06:46:45 pm by GazLaz »
Ffs what happened to us wanting to be sustainable. Signings like this (and Clayton and Agard last Jan) don’t scream sustainability do they.
What has sustainability got to do with this signing? ( if he is signing )

Agreed CR, this has nothing to do with sustainability.

Sustainability is simple;

Income = Expenditure

Is sustainability not the ability to maintain a certain level? We are on a race to the bottom football wise.

If Lavery is good enough, why didn’t we sign him in the summer??

What happened to the two 30+ year old players we signed last January that I said were poor footballing decisions??

In terms of a short term signing as a stop gap between now and May, he could contribute a bit. We need to be thinking a bit broader than that though. We need continuity in strategy and decision making, I thought JC was brought in to do that. It’s obviously not the case if he wanted Clayton last January and acted like he was the answer to our prayers, and this January he has been deemed surplus to requirements. We are guessing on the football side. Pure and simple. Making it up as they go along.

Sustainability as discussed on here in recent weeks, and after GB released his New Year statement, was entirely focussed on the financial aspects of the club and was meant to demonstrate how well CD was performing in terms of meeting the financial obligations of the club. It was meant to show that we no longer need a rich benefactor and that the money handed over by them every season was no longer required.

Because the statement came from GB then it had a commercial perspective.

To see a football perspective we need to hear from DS/JC and then we might be able to have that discussion Gaz. And those chaps were not in position during the summer, or at least one of them wasn't, which means we may not be able to answer your questions for that reason.

I get that Martin but we have not sustained the budget and income we had last season because we got relegated. The things go hand in hand.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 22, 2023, 06:56:25 pm by drfchound »
If Lavery has scored  scored 8 goals in 18 games for a team at the foot of the division think what he might achieve in a decent side.
He might just be a good acquisition.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 22, 2023, 07:06:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
That's true, although we play in League Two and his record there over the last four seasons with Walsall, Bradford and Bury has been 106 games and 16 goals. Anyway, we all have to trust that the correct homework has been done and the lad is going to come in firing on all cylinders and make an impact for us. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 22, 2023, 07:27:40 pm by drfchound »
I wonder how many of those 106 games were starts?
If he came on for the last couple of minutes as a sub it counts as an appearance.
It might have been 106 starts of course, but I doubt it.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 22, 2023, 08:37:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
Forget the stats, it’s a PR disaster, especially when set against the Netto brigade!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 22, 2023, 08:42:45 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Forget the stats, it’s a PR disaster, especially when set against the Netto brigade!

Alan, anything other than John Ryan being paraded around the ground on a golden throne as the returning owner would be a PR disaster with them

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 22, 2023, 09:47:09 pm by Retdon1 »
Ffs what happened to us wanting to be sustainable. Signings like this (and Clayton and Agard last Jan) don’t scream sustainability do they.

Income = Expenditure

Is sustainability not the ability to maintain a certain level? We are on a race to the bottom football wise.

What happened to the two 30+ year old players we signed last January that I said were poor footballing decisions??

In terms of a short term signing as a stop gap between now and May, he could contribute a bit. We need to be thinking a bit broader than that though. We need continuity in strategy and decision making, I thought JC was brought in to do that. It’s obviously not the case if he wanted Clayton last January and acted like he was the answer to our prayers, and this January he has been deemed surplus to requirements. We are guessing on the football side. Pure and simple. Making it up as they go along.

Sustainability as discussed on here in recent weeks, and after GB released his New Year statement, was entirely focussed on the financial aspects of the club and was meant to demonstrate how well CD was performing in terms of meeting the financial obligations of the club. It was meant to show that we no longer need a rich benefactor and that the money handed over by them every season was no longer required.

To see a football perspective we need to hear from DS/JC and then we might be able to have that discussion Gaz. And those chaps were not in position during the summer, or at least one of them wasn't, which means we may not be able to answer your questions for that reason.

Just picking up on your point that we no longer require a rich benefactor putting money in each year. Does that mean Brammel isn’t willing to do that anymore moving forwards.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 22, 2023, 09:52:57 pm by roversdude »

Alan, anything other than John Ryan being paraded around the ground on a golden throne as the returning owner would be a PR disaster with them

Only if there was a trial of £100 notes falling from his pockets and the throne was being carried by One Direction with Sir Kirkham throwing rose petals in front

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 22, 2023, 10:24:43 pm by Sprotyrover »

Income = Expenditure

Just picking up on your point that we no longer require a rich benefactor putting money in each year. Does that mean Brammel isn’t willing to do that anymore moving forwards.

Well I think our current position in the football league is good evidence of the success of our current Boards business model!

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 22, 2023, 11:01:17 pm by Canadian Rover »
The way I see it.

Club Doncaster will make sure Doncaster Rovers breaks even.

The owners won't need to contribute to the club as it's self funded and sustainable.

IF the Rovers have cash flow problems or have something crazy come up then the ownership will help.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 23, 2023, 01:27:42 am by ChrisBx »
If Schofield wants him then I'm all for it. I just hope it's on a short term deal.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 23, 2023, 07:58:41 am by IDM »

Income = Expenditure

Well I think our current position in the football league is good evidence of the success of our current Boards business model!

Since when do business models play football, with all the variables that brings.?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 23, 2023, 08:21:09 am by Campsall rover »
The business model has been brilliant and is one of the best in the EFL.

What hasn’t been brilliant ( much of it in hindsight ) because there are never any guarantees of success, has been the recruitment of managers and Players since McCann left us.

That’s not to say DS and JC aren’t the men that are going to get it right on the field of play. We need to give them much more time to make any judgment on them.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 23, 2023, 09:06:01 am by The Dav »
Just had a message from my Scunny pal, he rated him, yes albeit at a lower level, however this is what he thinks - Before he came to us he was not exactly prolific, but he he's been banging them in for Scunny - and that's with no support and playing for the worst team in the league. If he signs then you got a good player.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 23, 2023, 09:10:55 am by Metalmicky »
There is a video clip on youtube of him scoring a hat trick recently against Maidstone.

For the lazy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYdFfc36JU

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 23, 2023, 09:17:21 am by Metalmicky »
Seems to be a bubbly character - some miles on the clock, but is two footed and seems to get into good areas... good luck to the lad.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 23, 2023, 10:20:09 am by pib »

Income = Expenditure

Since when do business models play football, with all the variables that brings.?

Not a direct answer to your question, but one thing is for sure, we're currently having to be "sustainable" at a much lower level than we would've been if the right structure had been in place to ensure previous budgets had been spent wisely.

Right now we've got declining interest from floating (and even some committed) fans (ergo lower gates), cheaper season ticket prices, fewer away fans through the turnstiles across the season, and I suspect less revenue from commercial, TV and solidarity as a result of being an average side in L2.

If the downward trend in the above continues then the "sustainable" budget we've got to play with gets smaller and smaller, and most likely leads to a worse product on the pitch. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 23, 2023, 10:29:24 am by Donny Exile in York »

Income = Expenditure

Not a direct answer to your question, but one thing is for sure, we're currently having to be "sustainable" at a much lower level than we would've been if the right structure had been in place to ensure previous budgets had been spent wisely.

Right now we've got declining interest from floating (and even some committed) fans (ergo lower gates), cheaper season ticket prices, fewer away fans through the turnstiles across the season, and I suspect less revenue from commercial, TV and solidarity as a result of being an average side in L2.

If the downward trend in the above continues then the "sustainable" budget we've got to play with gets smaller and smaller, and most likely leads to a worse product on the pitch. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

And there's some of the sustainable brigade on here who can't work that out! We can be so called 'sustainable' in National League North and if we don't get our act together on and off the pitch we might just have to be! Hopefully we have stemmed the decline this season, and under JC our recruitment should be smarter and aligned to a recognised style of play, we shall see. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:52:50 am by Donny Exile in York »

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 23, 2023, 11:48:40 am by Barmby Rover »
I hope that I am wrong, but adding another pension plan onto our payroll seems to be the idea of new blood coming into the squad, I hope he is fit, he has been running the line in National league, but is that at the same pace as Lg.2? What happens to George now this striker is here? We only play one up front, so he gets dropped? Or do we play him as a support to George, so we bench either Molyneux or Hurst, can he operate quickly enough to replace those options? We will see, good luck to him. I hope he makes a difference, but I hold my judgment.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 23, 2023, 11:52:40 am by Filo »
I hope that I am wrong, but adding another pension plan onto our payroll seems to be the idea of new blood coming into the squad, I hope he is fit, he has been running the line in National league, but is that at the same pace as Lg.2? What happens to George now this striker is here? We only play one up front, so he gets dropped? Or do we play him as a support to George, so we bench either Molyneux or Hurst, can he operate quickly enough to replace those options? We will see, good luck to him. I hope he makes a difference, but I hold my judgment.

You’ve already judged in your first sentence

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 23, 2023, 11:55:41 am by RugbyRover »
Must be struggling to agree terms?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 23, 2023, 12:12:11 pm by silent majority »
Must be struggling to agree terms?

No, but there is due diligence to carry out.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 23, 2023, 12:21:22 pm by Alan Southstand »
I was hoping it was just another rumour!

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 23, 2023, 12:36:00 pm by RugbyRover »
I was hoping it was just another rumour!

don't worry. NL clubs are interested apparently.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 23, 2023, 12:45:50 pm by dickos1 »

He’s 30!!

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 23, 2023, 01:24:45 pm by jamesrover17 »
He'll end up at a Wrexham/Notts County/Chesterfield type I think.

Being blown out of the water by the likes of Wrexham is something I thought we would never have to endure

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 23, 2023, 01:25:40 pm by ravenrover »
C'mon Dickos, you know if he isn't 21, like lightning, brilliant ball control capable pf 65 goals a season with a sell on value of £30m      he is over the hill.......
According to some :-))

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 23, 2023, 01:27:47 pm by DearneValleyRover »
He'll end up at a Wrexham/Notts County/Chesterfield type I think.

Being blown out of the water by the likes of Wrexham is something I thought we would never have to endure

They don’t have the same financial limitations in the NL as EFL clubs do

TinyPortal © 2005-2012