Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:59:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JR on Sharp bid  (Read 17246 times)

gud-old-donny

• Forum Member
JR on Sharp bid
« on May 20, 2010, 05:01:24 pm by gud-old-donny »
Sheffield United reject Doncaster Rovers' Sharp bid  

Sharp spent the season on loan at the Keepmoat Stadium
Sheffield United have turned down a club record bid from Doncaster Rovers for striker Billy Sharp.

The 24-year-old former Scunthorpe frontman scored 15 goals in 35 appearances during a season-long loan spell for Doncaster this season.

Rovers chairman John Ryan told BBC Radio Sheffield: \"I'm disappointed. We will have to wait and see what happens.

\"All we can do is make offers. It was certainly the biggest bid Doncaster Rovers have made for a player.\"

Asked whether Rovers would make another offer for the player, Ryan responded: \"Not at this stage, no. I think we pushed the boat out a bit with that offer.

\"It was a very substantial offer, so we'll have to regroup and see what happens with the rest of the summer.\"

Doncaster's current transfer record is the £300,000 they paid Manchester City for Matt Mills in 2008.

Sharp rejoined Sheffield United in 2007 from Scunthorpe for an undisclosed fee.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re:JR on Sharp bid
« Reply #1 on May 20, 2010, 05:14:53 pm by MrFrost »
Wonder how much it was, but JR has more or less confirmed we wont be persuing him.

donvicks

« Reply #2 on May 20, 2010, 05:48:05 pm by donvicks »
Thats it then. He has single handed kept us up this season and now if donny cant afford what i would say is about 500k for a striker then we are never gonna get a striker who scores more than about 5 goals.I cant think of a 100-300k striker that would get more. you pay for what u get imho.
 :angry:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 20, 2010, 05:51:18 pm by MrFrost »
We dont know how much was offered. I just hope the board don't complain when we only sell 5000 season tickets.

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 20, 2010, 05:52:17 pm by Bald Rover »
I hope we don't put all our eggs in one basket so to speak I think we may have offered a million and if that's the case then Utd are pushing it trying to get more for a player they don't want,I think there are other targets we could aim for rather than putting blinkers on and trying to get Sharp at all costs . My main fear now is if Billy goes elsewhere our devoted fans will straight away blame JR and the board rather than a greedy Utd or unreasonable wage dermands. I'm hoping Mr Sharp will realise from experience that the big pay packet isn't the be all and end all and stay where he is happy and in line to be a hero.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 20, 2010, 05:53:59 pm by MrFrost »
I don't believe we have bid anywhere near a million. 400-500k at the very most.

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 20, 2010, 05:54:45 pm by Bald Rover »
donvicks wrote:
Thats it then. He has single handed kept us up this season and now if donny cant afford what i would say is about 500k for a striker then we are never gonna get a striker who scores more than about 5 goals.I cant think of a 100-300k striker that would get more. you pay for what u get imho.

? Aren't you a Leeds fan?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 20, 2010, 05:56:20 pm by Sprotyrover »
Perhaps it isnt the case that the biggest bid is accepted! if the player wants to go to a certain club and their bid is reasonable then Blades either let him go or keep him sidelined until he goes in january for less to the same club or on a free in the summer, i seem to recall this happened with one of our bids for a player a couple of years ago. B)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 20, 2010, 05:56:33 pm by not on facebook »
well reports doing the rounds is that leeds put 600k offer in

so if above is correct rovers must have least matched that bid

at the least.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 20, 2010, 05:57:56 pm by Sprotyrover »
Chuffin Heck!!! Donnie vics with a Rovers related Post!! :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 20, 2010, 06:00:27 pm by mushRTID »
Theres no way we have bid a million. 650-700 tops I think.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 20, 2010, 06:07:00 pm by Sprotyrover »
Sprotyrover wrote:
Perhaps it isnt the case that the biggest bid is accepted! if the player wants to go to a certain club and their bid is reasonable then Blades either let him go or keep him sidelined until he goes in january for less to the same club or on a free in the summer, i seem to recall this happened with one of our bids for a player a couple of years ago. B)

I seem to recall it was Feeney who ended up at Luton. B)

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 20, 2010, 06:17:29 pm by danrover82 »
One question I keep thinking to myself is. Do the Rovers board put in the same percentage of their worth as us Loyal fans do?.....I bet they dont!

They want us to buy Season tickets early, on the promise of a big push to the Premier League next year and they wont even stump up the asking price for the one thing we need the most. Its not asking alot when the board are worth a huge collective fortune is it?

I haven't bought a ST ticklet yet due to work and financial restrictions, but I cant see me struggling to get a match ticket next year at this rate like I didn't last season when I managed to get to all games on a pay per game basis. I feared a struggle for a good seat with the way the board were talking of the great push to the promised land. They want commitment from us? We need the same.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want them to bakrupt the club, but please lets get away from the record bids for DRFC scenario. We are an established Championship club now and our record bid is £300,000? it was £150,000 in the Conference for crying out loud and we lost money on that. It's beyond sensible tactics in my eyes. I see it more like the club is saying, 'were poor old Donny, skint but willing to try our luck and getting gold for coppers. Other clubs are seeing straight through it now!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 20, 2010, 06:33:09 pm by Chris »
donvicks wrote:
I cant think of a 100-300k striker that would get more. you pay for what u get imho.

Gary Hooper?

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 20, 2010, 06:35:52 pm by Guernsey Exile »
donvicks wrote:

What!!! 11 Players take to that pitch, plus subs! Its a team performance and the team (squad) kept us up!!!!
Also you forgot your token Leeds mention in that Post ;)

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 20, 2010, 06:46:16 pm by ScillyRover »
I guess we'll never get to know the amount offered. In the event that Billy did sign it would still quite likely be an 'undisclosed' fee.
But surely a striker of Billy's calibre has got to be worth in excess of 800k. It's a no-brainer as far as I can see. Rovers would not be taking a gamble... he's been tried and tested in the team and come up with the goods. I know it boils down to what the club can afford, but let's hope the Board decide it's well worth pushing the boat out to secure his services.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #16 on May 20, 2010, 06:50:49 pm by topnotch_Donny »
danrover82 wrote:
One question I keep thinking to myself is. Do the Rovers board put in the same percentage of their worth as us Loyal fans do?.....I bet they dont!

They want us to buy Season tickets early, on the promise of a big push to the Premier League next year and they wont even stump up the asking price for the one thing we need the most. Its not asking alot when the board are worth a huge collective fortune is it?

I haven't bought a ST ticklet yet due to work and financial restrictions, but I cant see me struggling to get a match ticket next year at this rate like I didn't last season when I managed to get to all games on a pay per game basis. I feared a struggle for a good seat with the way the board were talking of the great push to the promised land. They want commitment from us? We need the same.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want them to bakrupt the club, but please lets get away from the record bids for DRFC scenario. We are an established Championship club now and our record bid is £300,000? it was £150,000 in the Conference for crying out loud and we lost money on that. It's beyond sensible tactics in my eyes. I see it more like the club is saying, 'were poor old Donny, skint but willing to try our luck and getting gold for coppers. Other clubs are seeing straight through it now!

We operate at huge loss as it stands though. The annual wage Bill is to creep over the £7 million mark soon, so can the board really afford, or take the risk in such a tight league were nothings guaranteed especially survival?

What would happen if Sharps goals never got us up, or his goals never kept us up?

We already operate at £2-3 million deficits (before player sales) based on previous accounts. We get more income now with the new TV deals, but that is basically balanced out because of the wage inflation.

Billy will cost the board over a million in wage and fee. This will more than likely bring the deficit to £4 million which is a huge gap to plug.

If we get Billy, we would need to go for broke and try to get straight upto the premiership within Sharps contract structure to make it pay; however, we all know football doesn’t go to plan, and we could quite easily land up in league one with or without Billy.

If the plan is to consolidate then is Billy worth the fee and wage? I think not. Also would we be able to tie him down to a longish contract to make it worth it, and give us a chance to sell him on, before his contract would expire.

He wouldn’t be much good to us unless we could tie him down to atleast a three year contract. That way, we would have ample time to flog him, to recover some cash back; however, will Billy want tying down to a lengthy contract?

I will get behind the board whatever they do because they have the clubs best interests at heart, and they have already done more than enough for this club…IMHO.  :scarf:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 20, 2010, 06:57:00 pm by MrFrost »
The gap the board have to plug will be alot bigger because of the poor season ticket sales.
I'm predicting around 5500 to be sold by the beginning of next season. This will then be used as the reason why we haven't invested more in the squad.
The only way the board were going to see high season ticket sales was to spend big in the summer. This cant/wont happen, and ultimately the fans will get the blame.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #18 on May 20, 2010, 07:01:50 pm by topnotch_Donny »
MrFrost wrote:
The gap the board have to plug will be alot bigger because of the poor season ticket sales.
I'm predicting around 5500 to be sold by the beginning of next season. This will then be used as the reason why we haven't invested more in the squad.
The only way the board were going to see high season ticket sales was to spend big in the summer. This cant/wont happen, and ultimately the fans will get the blame.

But even if we sold 12 thousand season tickets at £400 pound each, we would still be more than £2 million short of the wage bill. Then if you bring Billy into the equation, you are talking £2.5 million short then had his fee.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 20, 2010, 07:06:58 pm by RoversAlias »
Chris wrote:
donvicks wrote:
I cant think of a 100-300k striker that would get more. you pay for what u get imho.

Gary Hooper?

Are you joking? Hooper will cost at least a million.

I don't see this as the end of our pursuit of Sharp. You think we'll give up at one bid? You would think the Blades told us how much they're gonna be wanting for him since our bid wasn't enough and now perhaps we will regroup and try to find that money somewhere.

Or, three other words spring to mind concerning us and transfers: smoke and mirrors.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 20, 2010, 07:07:02 pm by Filo »
Doing the Honourable thing when we played Sheff Utd, and we, off our own back refused to let Billy play against them, did n`t stand us in good stead did it?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 20, 2010, 07:08:39 pm by Wellred »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

But even if we sold 12 thousand season tickets at £400 pound each, we would still be more than £2 million short of the wage bill. Then if you bring Billy into the equation, you are talking £2.5 million short then had his fee.

Can you rewrite that in English so we can understand what you are trying to say?

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 20, 2010, 07:09:08 pm by Chris »
RoversAlias wrote:
Chris wrote:
donvicks wrote:

Gary Hooper?

Are you joking? Hooper will cost at least a million.

That wasn't my point. Scunthorpe paid less than £300,000 for him and he got 19 goals last season.

Given his age I feel he would be worth £2-3m now.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 20, 2010, 07:11:01 pm by wilts rover »
MrFrost wrote:

And your evidence for that is? At the end of last season when we were still chasing for the play-offs we could only manage around 10k home fans for games against Sheff U & Newcastle. Were are these mythical 'high season ticket sales' going to come from? Last season we had 7-8k season tickets - Derby had 28k.
I predict that if we buy Billy Sharp it will put 0 on season ticket sales. IMO the only way to increase season tickets would be drop prices. But I am sure you would still find something else to moan about.
And are JR & KM2 not fans then?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 20, 2010, 07:14:42 pm by MrFrost »
My point being, the board will criticise those not buying season tickets as the reason of failing to sign the likes of Sharp & Shackell.
Signing them will have seen more people buy or renew. It would have been a statement of intent. As it stands we've barely sold 200 season tickets since the prices increased. A few signings will have added to this, anyone who says it wouldn't is very naive.

SouthEastStandBarmyArmy

« Reply #25 on May 20, 2010, 07:18:10 pm by SouthEastStandBarmyArmy »
Put it this way, next season were gunna have the 3rd maybe even 2nd lowest attendance in the league, and our season ticket sales are more than likely gonna drop again this season (for the second season in a row), unless the board take a huge risk, or season tickets increase rapidly in the next couple of months, You CANNOT expect the board to go out and spend millions on players, whoever it is. Were a tiny fish in a big pond, enjoy it while were here ROVERS TILL I DIE

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #26 on May 20, 2010, 07:18:51 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Wellred wrote:
topnotch_Donny wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

Can you rewrite that in English so we can understand what you are trying to say?

Sorry, I was in a rush.

Even if we sold 12k season tickets at 400 pound each, it wouldn't cover the wage bill.

And even if we did sign Sharp, the ST sales wouldn't even reach 8k, never mind 12k which i based my example on. My quick example shows that the argument to buy Sharp to sell more ST's and plug the gap doesn't work.

The extra ST holders that would buy season tickets due to the signature of Billy, wouldn't even cover half of his annual wage thus equally more debt.

I hope that cleared it up, still busy here. I will explain later if you still don't get the gist.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 20, 2010, 07:19:18 pm by Wellred »
wilts rover wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

And your evidence for that is? At the end of last season when we were still chasing for the play-offs we could only manage around 10k home fans for games against Sheff U & Newcastle. Were are these mythical 'high season ticket sales' going to come from? Last season we had 7-8k season tickets - Derby had 28k.
I predict that if we buy Billy Sharp it will put 0 on season ticket sales. IMO the only way to increase season tickets would be drop prices. But I am sure you would still find something else to moan about.
And are JR & KM2 not fans then?

Actually I think you might find if you look back through previous posts (and I believe you are an expert at doing this) you might find that the KM2 are not fans.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 20, 2010, 07:19:43 pm by MrFrost »
SouthEastStandBarmyArmy wrote:
Put it this way, next season were gunna have the 3rd maybe even 2nd lowest attendance in the league, and our season ticket sales are more than likely gonna drop again this season (for the second season in a row), unless the board take a huge risk, or season tickets increase rapidly in the next couple of months, You CANNOT expect the board to go out and spend millions on players, whoever it is. Were a tiny fish in a big pond, enjoy it while were here ROVERS TILL I DIE

All about ambition, and we have none.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 20, 2010, 07:36:17 pm by Nudga »
I've got to disagree there Frosty, we have still got to build our club upto ccc level. This may take another 3-5 years of being at this level, we cannot and should not spend money that the club cannot sustain. We are still recovering from three decades of being utter shite but the kids are coming back in there droves(sp). I don't want to see us back in division 4 again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012