Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:34:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well done  (Read 2684 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Well done
« on September 20, 2014, 05:27:08 pm by roversdude »
Good result but shocking defending second half
We gave them too much room out wide/far post

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Well done
« Reply #1 on September 20, 2014, 05:34:14 pm by Filo »
Miles better than Tuesday, but we switch from one extreme to the other in a blink of an eye, it's like some one flicks a switch and turns us off

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 20, 2014, 06:18:31 pm by PDX_Rover »
Sounds like work needs to be done regarding concentration for the 90 minutes

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 20, 2014, 06:24:14 pm by wing commander »
I think if everybodys honest Chesterfield were a good passing side,there was always going to be a spell were they got at us and once they scored we were up against the cosh but we rode it out well and got the job done..So a big well done to us for that...

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 20, 2014, 06:26:34 pm by Donnybax »
Really good performance today! 4-2-3-1 suits us much better. De val is 10 times the player Keegan is

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 20, 2014, 07:17:42 pm by RedJ »
Really good performance today! 4-2-3-1 suits us much better. De val is 10 times the player Keegan is

How you can compare a player of MDV's style to Keegan who's f**king obviously just a defensive holding midfielder is beyond me. Completely different style.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 20, 2014, 07:26:46 pm by Donnybax »
De Val played the holding role today and was far better at it. Keegan doesn't do his job anymore for me

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 20, 2014, 07:31:03 pm by dickos1 »
Keegan helped keep the score at 3-2 tats his role to stop the other team getting chances and scoring goals.
Dickov should've brought him on ten mins earlier

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 20, 2014, 07:31:51 pm by RedJ »
Still a different type of player. De Val is a more more creative player compared to Keegan who's there to shield the back four and break up play.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 20, 2014, 07:36:51 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Keegan would never play again after today if it were left to me. De Val sat in front of the back 4, without getting in their way by being too deep, and can actually pass, head and tackle. That doesn't describe Keegan

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 20, 2014, 07:49:22 pm by mjg »
Better than Tuesday because we won

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 20, 2014, 07:49:46 pm by dickos1 »
I agree with red... They're completely different players. Keegan was better than de val in the role when they were all over us at 3/1 and 3/2. If de val had stayed on we wouldn't have won.
Keegan has different qualities to de val

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 20, 2014, 07:50:35 pm by dickos1 »
Better than Tuesday because we won

Exactly. We didn't play bad on Tuesday but didn't win hence the uproar

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 20, 2014, 08:04:14 pm by Filo »
Keegan would never play again after today if it were left to me. De Val sat in front of the back 4, without getting in their way by being too deep, and can actually pass, head and tackle. That doesn't describe Keegan

De Val started out sat in front of the back four and spent the most time there, but of you watched closely De Val Furman and occasionally Wellens rotated, the midfield is crrtainly more dynamic with those three, but Keegan has a role to play like today when De Val tired and we needed a midfield stopper

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 20, 2014, 09:47:11 pm by turnbull for england »
First game this season, went expecting nothing ended up watching best game at home Ive seen in ages. Yes we looked nervous at times and yes we made mistakes but we played a side that scored 6 in 2 off the park  for chunks of the 1st half  and I thought looked reasonably ok till magic johnson came on and scared us to death. COnsidering the nerves all around the ground it was inevitable that they would be on top  for a while and yet it could have been 4-2, 5-3 dead easy - work to do  yet but they at least looked up for the challenge   and me and my boy came out smiling -what more can you ask for?

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 20, 2014, 10:02:51 pm by LincsRover »
Really good local derby game - both sides going for it until we sat back and defended for last 10 minutes and some good quality, some mistakes and some real passion. Thoroughly entertaining match!

:clapping:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 20, 2014, 10:27:48 pm by ravenrover »

De Val started out sat in front of the back four and spent the most time there, but of you watched closely De Val Furman and occasionally Wellens rotated, the midfield is crrtainly more dynamic with those three, but Keegan has a role to play like today when De Val tired and we needed a midfield stopper
The way Wellens laid into De Val in the 1st half put paid to any rotation " He's your man pick him up" or something like!
I thought De Val was excellent, apart from losing the lad who had the shot for the 1st goal, but he tired badly 2nd half. Chesterfield did a very good job in the 2nd half of cutting Wellens an Bennett out of the game for most of the 2nd half but when they did they get on the ball they tore the Chesterfield defence apart. Wellens link play with Coppinger was something else and for me Copps could/should have had 2 pens 2nd half.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 20, 2014, 11:29:50 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
De Val will suit some games,Keegan will suit others that's the good thing with options,De Val far better passer of a ball,Keegan far better at winning it back,and also doesn't try to do what he can't,nice and simple balls.
De Val gives you a better chance of retaining the ball,Keegan winning it.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 21, 2014, 07:45:24 am by RobTheRover »
Exactly.  I thought PD got the substitution spot on yesterday.

However, the game last Tuesday was a classic case of Keegan off, De Val on and PD didnt call that one.

Never mind, 4 points from 2 home games against teams higher than us in the league when we played them.  Mustn't grumble too much at that.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 21, 2014, 07:52:53 am by steve@dcfd »

Let's get the formation right it was 4 1 4 1 with De Val player the role in front of back four. When he went off PD then went to 4 2 3 1.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Great game
« Reply #20 on September 21, 2014, 09:03:10 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes. MDV and Wellens does work. The quality of our play, especially in first half, was a joy to watch. From the off they gave us something to get behind by dictating the pace. What was also pleasing was Bennett and Copps getting in the box. Bennett scoring from a central position meeting a cross from opposite cross. Copps taking up a threatening position for corners to use that deceptive aerial power he has. Free header leading to vital 3rd goal. That's the benchmark for home performances.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 21, 2014, 09:28:56 am by Filo »

Let's get the formation right it was 4 1 4 1 with De Val player the role in front of back four. When he went off PD then went to 4 2 3 1.

It was 4-2-3-1 with Wellens having licence to go forward when the opportunity arose

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 21, 2014, 05:13:17 pm by RedJ »
Yes. MDV and Wellens does work. The quality of our play, especially in first half, was a joy to watch. From the off they gave us something to get behind by dictating the pace. What was also pleasing was Bennett and Copps getting in the box. Bennett scoring from a central position meeting a cross from opposite cross. Copps taking up a threatening position for corners to use that deceptive aerial power he has. Free header leading to vital 3rd goal. That's the benchmark for home performances.

On top of this, how good was Furman in the more advanced role?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 21, 2014, 05:18:16 pm by pib »

Very good. Looked like the player of two seasons ago. I've always said he's better off in a more attacking role. Flynn knew that and thankfully Dickov seems to be recognising it as well, even if it's taken him over a year!

Thought all three central midfielders were excellent in possession yesterday. One thing we do need to brush up on is protecting the full backs better. Whether that means putting more responsibility on the wingers or the holding two midfielders I don't know, but that was the glaring weakness yesterday.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 21, 2014, 05:35:46 pm by bobbymax »

Very good. Looked like the player of two seasons ago. I've always said he's better off in a more attacking role. Flynn knew that and thankfully Dickov seems to be recognising it as well, even if it's taken him over a year!

Thought all three central midfielders were excellent in possession yesterday. One thing we do need to brush up on is protecting the full backs better. Whether that means putting more responsibility on the wingers or the holding two midfielders I don't know, but that was the glaring weakness yesterday.
Still have my doubts about Evina as a defender but I thought Wabara had his best game in a Rovers shirt yesterday and is worth a longer contract if he keeps improving.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 21, 2014, 06:30:04 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Agreed bobbymax. Thought Wabara was outstanding yesterday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012