Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:59:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman to Preston ?  (Read 41930 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Whiteman to Preston ?
« Reply #60 on January 09, 2021, 06:34:57 pm by dickos1 »
Regardless if he wants to go or not we can still wait until they meet our valuation.
If we sell him for 1 to 1.5 million and then have to give Sheffield United some of that it would be a joke, he’s under a long contract. If he wants to go that’s fine but it has to be right for us

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 09, 2021, 06:41:19 pm by mushRTID »
Regardless if he wants to go or not we can still wait until they meet our valuation.
If we sell him for 1 to 1.5 million and then have to give Sheffield United some of that it would be a joke, he’s under a long contract. If he wants to go that’s fine but it has to be right for us

Exactly this

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 09, 2021, 06:47:20 pm by PDX_Rover »
Preston are not a big club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 09, 2021, 06:52:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I actually think Preston would be a good fit for him. Would probably give him a chance to shine at the higher level as he would probably get more game time. All depends on his assessment of that, the manager etc and the right terms for him of course.

If Preston are serious and show they really want him then they'll be back, but I hope they don't play silly buggers like Barnsley.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 09, 2021, 06:58:43 pm by scawsby steve »

No, but they're a Championship club, which is what he wants, and he lives close to that area.

My big concern is finding a suitable replacement. We've never done it with Marquis, and I doubt that we'll do it with Sims, whose prolific form helped us to get to where we are in the league.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 09, 2021, 07:02:25 pm by DINGLE »
I actually think Preston would be a good fit for him. Would probably give him a chance to shine at the higher level as he would probably get more game time. All depends on his assessment of that, the manager etc and the right terms for him of course.

If Preston are serious and show they really want him then they'll be back, but I hope they don't play silly buggers like Barnsley.

As soon as you accepted a bid 4 or 5 other clubs will match it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 09, 2021, 07:06:02 pm by NickDRFC »

No, but they're a Championship club, which is what he wants, and he lives close to that area.

My big concern is finding a suitable replacement. We've never done it with Marquis, and I doubt that we'll do it with Sims, whose prolific form helped us to get to where we are in the league.

I said this earlier in this thread but what sort of club do we expect would be looking at Whiteman? He’s been great for us but he’s 24 and completely untested at any level above League One. Last season, Preston finished 9th (4 points off the playoffs), and this season are sitting in 11th (5 points off). They always seem to be there or thereabouts so I’m not sure how anyone can say it’s not a decent step up.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 09, 2021, 07:09:50 pm by Jersey Rover »
Very strange that DM would come out and say he was out because of recovery while the DFP Liam Holden saying it’s for protection because he is gone. Why would DM lie, we all know Bens good enough and may move on, but why lie to the fans if that’s correct, don’t make sense

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 09, 2021, 07:10:23 pm by mushRTID »
I’m quite disappointed he wants to go now.
I can’t understand why not try and get a promotion on your CV, we are in an unbelievable position.

If he captains us to promotion he will have better clubs than Preston after him surely.

He’s the best player in the league in his position, I hope we don’t buckle from what he’s worth trying to play the “nice club” role cos I’m sure as hell that come the end of the season he won’t be thinking about us and how nice we were to let him go, we need to look after ourselves.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 09, 2021, 07:12:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
Preston are a very average club. Their gate in the Championship is 13-14k, which is not much more if at all than we could expect in the Championship. Yes, punching above their weight etc, but they are a very average club at that level that are never going to get promoted.

If he wants to use them as a platform to get game time and visibility then fine, but let’s not kid ourselves they are a credible promotion candidate.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:15:22 pm by Chris Black come back »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 09, 2021, 07:12:57 pm by since-1969 »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-ben-whiteman-missed-doncaster-rovers-win-fa-cup-protective-measure-after-having-head-turned-championship-bids-3090942
The Rovers performance today should illustrate a lot to Ben about his team mates and their willingness not to let his absence effect the game  and about the club that had given him this opportunity to be admired by other clubs . But for him not to focus on his  present circumstances and responsibilities particularly as club captain says more about how selfish it how unprofessional it looks by not being available or to put aside this enquiry and wait for things to fall into  place where Ben can leave on good terms all round for himself and DRFC.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:15:38 pm by since-1969 »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 09, 2021, 07:13:50 pm by RoversAlias »
I really don't mind him leaving and I don't mind him going to Preston, like it or not they are a solid Championship side and he'll play every week there, but the fact Darren Moore essentially lied in his post-match presser about it is really disappointing.

There's just no need for it and will only serve to piss fans off and increase the doubters in future.

Get him sold sooner rather than later so we can sort a proper replacement out in this window. Don't let it drag on and on.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 09, 2021, 07:15:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I really don't mind him leaving and I don't mind him going to Preston, like it or not they are a solid Championship side and he'll play every week there, but the fact Darren Moore essentially lied in his post-match presser about it is really disappointing.

There's just no need for it and will only serve to piss fans off and increase the doubters in future.

Get him sold sooner rather than later so we can sort a proper replacement out in this window. Don't let it drag on and on.

Agree. It's sad we've been lied to.

I hope we bring someone in permanently as another load as a replacement wouldn't do with the current number of loanees we have.

Warwickshire Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 09, 2021, 07:17:10 pm by Warwickshire Red »
Reading the report from the free press the 9th paragraph suggests he is going nowhere

“It remains to be seen whether an agreement can be reached in the next few days that will satisfy all parties but it appears increasingly likely that Whiteman will remain a Rovers player beyond the end of this month.”

Unless there is a typo in the report

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 09, 2021, 07:19:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
Before everyone starts saying we have been lied to, it is a story attributed to “a source”. It is not public confirmation. It could well be someone at the club, or it could be his agent getting message out that Whiteman is not a COVID cripple but actually fit and clear for transfer, and indeed wants to be transferred. “Lied to” is a bit strong.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on January 09, 2021, 07:23:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We can speculate all we want. I don't see the benefit of DFP stirring the pot, even if true, other than gaining readership. There could be an element of both of course and if DM didn't think he was fit enough for the game. I don't think it's fair to assume he's flatly refused to play.

It doesn't matter what we think of Preston or any other suitor for that matter. That's for him to make the choice but I would imagine he has more chance to being a bigger fish at Preston.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 09, 2021, 07:23:15 pm by Filo »
Strange SM posted it seems he wants to go around the same time as the Free Press story, it would appear something has been communicated or leaked from the club

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 09, 2021, 07:30:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
You see that's the other problem. If people meddle in these things and take these things as read, then they could be going on his Twitter account and giving him abuse.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 09, 2021, 07:39:35 pm by dknward2 »
We need to get as much money as possible to reinvest in renewing contracts and buying a couple of players and hopefully we can get it done asap

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 09, 2021, 07:44:47 pm by Filo »
No player should sign a lengthy contract  if they are not prepared to see that contract out. When it comes to renewing contracts the player wants a long contract for security, it works both ways, two and a half years left on a contract means he goes nowhere until the club are satisfied with the fee and terms!

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 09, 2021, 07:46:30 pm by StocksArmy »
I was hounded for saying its written all over him that he wants to leave. Its obvious. Will also be hounded for saying he is replaceable too, because he absolutely is. If somebody said we lose Whiteman and the funds will get us Sims with cash to spare I am sure there would be many of us happy to drive young Benjamin to Preston whether he wanted to go or not. Unlikely to happen but Im just highlighting the fact that when he goes it wont end our season providing we spend the money wisely.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:52:52 pm by StocksArmy »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 09, 2021, 07:48:17 pm by Retdon1 »
I can’t see Moore being given much of what ever transfer fee we receive. Crowds won’t be returning until next season so I can only see this money being used to keep the club going... more than likely end up with a young lad on loan from a Prem club to replace him

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 09, 2021, 07:49:36 pm by StocktonRover »
No player should sign a lengthy contract  if they are not prepared to see that contract out. When it comes to renewing contracts the player wants a long contract for security, it works both ways, two and a half years left on a contract means he goes nowhere until the club are satisfied with the fee and terms!

Filo,
He extended his contract as a favour to the club so that we can demand a better fee when he does inevitably go at some stage.

He could have turned down a new contract extension and the shorter period left would drive his price down and let him negotiate a better package for himself based on a reduced fee.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 09, 2021, 07:51:59 pm by Janso »
I think what probably makes it so hard to take right now is we're in the middle of a promotion campaign and could very realistically possibly win the league, with him as captain. At least Marquis waited until the summer (albeit late on) before he decided he wanted out.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 09, 2021, 07:53:33 pm by turnbull for england »
I don't believe Darren Moore tells lies.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 09, 2021, 07:55:06 pm by since-1969 »

Filo,
He extended his contract as a favour to the club so that we can demand a better fee when he does inevitably go at some stage.

He could have turned down a new contract extension and the shorter period left would drive his price down and let him negotiate a better package for himself based on a reduced fee.
Why if you know that teams will want your services agree to sign as a “Favour” . Ben is a quality player but if he’s adamant he wants to leave now .. what did his  favour earned him !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 09, 2021, 07:55:49 pm by dickos1 »
Earned us more money still didn’t it

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 09, 2021, 07:56:55 pm by Draytonian III »
Players move on, always have, always will. Remember football is job, who wouldn’t move jobs for more money and less travelling, 90% of people on here I bet

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 09, 2021, 07:57:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
The contract makes him less attractive to other clubs as they know we have a stronger negotiating hand. He would have signed that with some informal or formal agreement that he could leave if a specific price was met or something softer like a sensible bid. He knows his worth and would surely have signed that with an escape route attached.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012