Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:02:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman to Preston ?  (Read 41924 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Whiteman to Preston ?
« Reply #90 on January 09, 2021, 08:00:06 pm by dickos1 »
Players move on, always have, always will. Remember football is job, who wouldn’t move jobs for more money and less travelling, 90% of people on here I bet

That’s not really the argument though, the argument is letting him go on the cheap just because he wants to leave

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on January 09, 2021, 08:01:20 pm by scawsby steve »
I was hounded for saying its written all over him that he wants to leave. Its obvious. Will also be hounded for saying he is replaceable too, because he absolutely is. If somebody said we lose Whiteman and the funds will get us Sims with cash to spare I am sure there would be many of us happy to drive young Benjamin to Preston whether he wanted to go or not. Unlikely to happen but Im just highlighting the fact that when he goes it wont end our season providing we spend the money wisely.

I disagree. If Ben leaves, that would mean that, along with Sims, we'd be losing our 2 most productive players.

Unless we can replace them like for like, and I doubt that we can, our promotion push would be seriously hampered IMO.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 09, 2021, 08:03:22 pm by Chris the Rover »
I don’t believe Darren Moore tells lies either. Some of our supporters need to get a grip. Nobody on here (apart possibly from SM) knows whether BW is going or not. Let’s all just wait and see what happens, before people start getting the knives out. We won today without
him.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on January 09, 2021, 08:04:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Not so fussed about DM saying it was covid, did anyone really believe that? Not playing him was the right thing to do and your hardly going to admit directly it's because of transfer reasons but we've seen it enough times to know what the situation is. If Ben is actively refusing to play that's another problem i'm hoping the club were expecting the valuation to be met imminently and didn't want to risk losing 

More important we get the cash for him now and get replacements in. I struggle to see how Preston can match our valuation though unless it's split over a long period.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 09, 2021, 08:04:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We should go for Morley (Rochdale), Kasumu (MK) or Wintle (Crewe) as a replacement.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on January 09, 2021, 08:06:28 pm by StocksArmy »
I was hounded for saying its written all over him that he wants to leave. Its obvious. Will also be hounded for saying he is replaceable too, because he absolutely is. If somebody said we lose Whiteman and the funds will get us Sims with cash to spare I am sure there would be many of us happy to drive young Benjamin to Preston whether he wanted to go or not. Unlikely to happen but Im just highlighting the fact that when he goes it wont end our season providing we spend the money wisely.

I disagree. If Ben leaves, that would mean that, along with Sims, we'd be losing our 2 most productive players.

Unless we can replace them like for like, and I doubt that we can, our promotion push would be seriously hampered IMO.

I think it would be a bit daft of us to think the club dont have targets in place for when this happens Scawsby. I would be majorly disappointed if we lost him and we signed a kid on loan. If that happened I would then have to agree with you.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on January 09, 2021, 08:07:06 pm by dickos1 »
I think we will sign a couple of young very good players from wolves, West Brom, villa

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 09, 2021, 08:07:34 pm by CoppsChop »
I think what probably makes it so hard to take right now is we're in the middle of a promotion campaign and could very realistically possibly win the league, with him as captain. At least Marquis waited until the summer (albeit late on) before he decided he wanted out.

Ben is brilliant but we shouldn’t be naive enough to think he hasnt wanted to move to the Chanpionship for probably over a year.

If Hull had the money required he would have gone last summer, the same this year if the bids matched what we wanted.

And for those complaining about the manager trying to protect The player by coming up with a believable reasons to leave him out - you only have to look at this thread to see they made the right decision! The club are trying to conduct their business in private as it should be done.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 09, 2021, 08:14:40 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think we will sign a couple of young very good players from wolves, West Brom, villa

On loan or permanent? Getting loans won't really help our squad atm we're already up to the 5nr allowed to play.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on January 09, 2021, 08:17:24 pm by dickos1 »
On loan,
It’s not what we should be doing but with no fans or revenue I can’t see the club spending good money on a replacement

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 09, 2021, 08:28:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
On loan,
It’s not what we should be doing but with no fans or revenue I can’t see the club spending good money on a replacement

You can't blame the club for that at the moment and i suppose with so many games we can drop a few loanees out of the squad and rotate them easy enough. Just doesn't sit right with me to have so many but desperate times and all.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on January 09, 2021, 08:34:07 pm by drfchound »
Ah well, it seems like Giddings was in the know then and not just making mischief.

When Moore says that Ben “blew up,” that could be taken in more than one way too.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on January 09, 2021, 08:37:01 pm by silent majority »
Ah well, it seems like Giddings was in the know then and not just making mischief.

When Moore says that Ben “blew up,” that could be taken in more than one way too.

Giddings wasn't in the 'know' at all.

He doesn't speak to the club, and he did say he would be gone by the weekend, which didn't, and hasn't happened.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on January 09, 2021, 08:38:15 pm by dickos1 »

He doesn't speak to the club, and he did say he would be gone by the weekend, which didn't, and hasn't happened.

Giddings is full of shite,
Posts things just to get people clicking on them

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on January 09, 2021, 08:41:28 pm by drfchound »

Maybe he doesn’t speak to the club but he could have got his information from someone who does.
After all, he apparently isn’t too wide of the mark is he.
I agree that he spouts off some crap but in this case he must have got the news from somewhere because no one on here had mentioned Ben possibly going to Preston before Giddings made his announcement.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:52:07 pm by drfchound »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 09, 2021, 08:49:17 pm by silent majority »
But let me try and add some sense to what's been said about Ben and the club today.

First of all let me make it clear that the club have a duty to a player like Ben. If the club can protect him from some sections of the media then they will do so.

He has had his turned, Preston have done that, and possibly his agent too, but the bids for him have been rejected, so he's still our player. There is an onus on our club to negotiate the best fee possible, which they are trying to do. Stating that he'd had his head turned would not have been an ideal response to him not being in the squad today if the club wanted a strong hand in the negotiations.

The club haven't lied either. It was the 'Manchester bubble' that caused the Covid issue within the club, and Ben was part of that bubble.

We have to negotiate the best fee possible, otherwise he stays as our player.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on January 09, 2021, 08:51:19 pm by dickos1 »
Thanks martin
Do you know if they’re miles away from our valuation or are we close enough that a deal seems likely

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on January 09, 2021, 08:51:32 pm by silent majority »

Maybe he doesn’t speak to the club but he could have got his information from someone who does.
I agree that he spout off some crap but 8n this case he must have got the news from somewhere because no one on here had mentioned Ben possibly going to Preston before Giddings made his announcement.

Seriously?

He was well wide of the mark, the 'rumour mil' had Ben and Preston connected ages ago.

What Giddings said was he would be gone by the weekend. How did that work out?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on January 09, 2021, 08:57:22 pm by silent majority »
Thanks martin
Do you know if they’re miles away from our valuation or are we close enough that a deal seems likely

Well, firstly let me say that some of the transfer fees mentioned on this forum are well wide of the mark. In this current market fees are drastically reduced.

The Barnsley bids during the summer were particularly pathetic, and the Preston bids have exceeded them by some margin. But we're still a fair bit short and I'm not sure if we'll get there. Even if Preston did a lot of our supporters would be extremely disappointed.

The club are doing what they can, but if his head is turned, which it has been, then negotiating can be tricky.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on January 09, 2021, 08:58:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It might be difficult to replace Ben if he goes, like for like, but it may be more a case of evolution.

As said, it's likely DM will have considered this eventuality and has targets in mind. He will also be acutely aware of the balance he has of loans v permanent and what impact that can have on the team.

Either way, I have every confidence in DM to do what he can to give us every chance of achieving promotion, given last seasons unfortunate ending too.

We shouldn't get too hung up whether he opts to go down a loan route as it could be a potential loan to permanent in the summer if a permanent is out of the question now, as long as he gets who he thinks can help fill the void. He may even look to convert one or two current loans during this window which might redress the balance.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on January 09, 2021, 08:59:20 pm by drfchound »

I agree that he spout off some crap but 8n this case he must have got the news from somewhere because no one on here had mentioned Ben possibly going to Preston before Giddings made his announcement.

Seriously?

He was well wide of the mark, the 'rumour mil' had Ben and Preston connected ages ago.

What Giddings said was he would be gone by the weekend. How did that work out?

I hadn’t read anything connecting Ben and PNE in the rumour mill before this latest situation.
Anyway, it turns out that there is truth in the rumour doesn’t it.
I will be sad to see him go (if he does) and I really hope that the club holds out for a proper valuation with the transfer fee.
Ben should be professional enough to continue to give his best if he has to stay with us.
He was happy to sign his current deal.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on January 09, 2021, 09:03:37 pm by pib »
I understand his head might have been turned, but he signed (I think) a 3 year contract extension just over a year ago... surely he knew then that the whole point of that, from the club’s perspective, was to make sure they could get a good fee for him when the time comes for him to move on?

If he’s not training or playing, or isn’t happy with the club in some way for holding firm on their valuation, I’m not sure why. He must have been expecting that since he extended his contract surely.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on January 09, 2021, 09:07:01 pm by godlike1 »
Thanks martin

Well, firstly let me say that some of the transfer fees mentioned on this forum are well wide of the mark. In this current market fees are drastically reduced.

The Barnsley bids during the summer were particularly pathetic, and the Preston bids have exceeded them by some margin. But we're still a fair bit short and I'm not sure if we'll get there. Even if Preston did a lot of our supporters would be extremely disappointed.

The club are doing what they can, but if his head is turned, which it has been, then negotiating can be tricky.

SM your insight and honest about tmwhat you can share is very much appreciated.

I do think we can learn something from Peterbrough in one way on transfers though.

We are a great club clearly at looking after players and its though no fault of drfc that he has had his head turned. Therefore for once we need to play had ball. We don't need to sell him so why do that? We have a squad that needs utilising and showed today how they all came together for each other.

If he wants to go it has to be for the value we want, not one because our hand is being forced

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on January 09, 2021, 09:13:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Let's hope he's smart enough to get his head around this.

From his point of view I would guess, taking everything into account, he probably thought he might be a championship player by now, either with us, or somewhere else. Last season closed that opportunity for him so he's probably keen to make that move sooner rather than later. We shouldn't blame him for that and I'm sure he would go with our blessing provided we're not short changed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on January 09, 2021, 09:16:45 pm by drfchound »
That is how I feel about the situation DBR.
We have to stick out for valuation though.

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 09, 2021, 09:19:28 pm by WarwickRover »
Filo is right. Imo the boy owes us nothing, good luck to him, he gets a bettor contract ie more money and we get a decent fee that hopefully takes us into next season

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on January 09, 2021, 09:23:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thanks martin

SM your insight and honest about tmwhat you can share is very much appreciated.

I do think we can learn something from Peterbrough in one way on transfers though.

We are a great club clearly at looking after players and its though no fault of drfc that he has had his head turned. Therefore for once we need to play had ball. We don't need to sell him so why do that? We have a squad that needs utilising and showed today how they all came together for each other.

If he wants to go it has to be for the value we want, not one because our hand is being forced

Seem to recall Lyle Taylor refusing to play for Charlton at one point, seemingly throwing his teddies out of the pram but, if I remember rightly, he eventually relented and played again. Still got his move to Forest in the end.

If would like to think DM is experienced enough to understand and handle him. the longer this goes on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on January 09, 2021, 09:27:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
That is how I feel about the situation DBR.
We have to stick out for valuation though.

There's always room for manoeuvre though on either side, depending how deals can be structured, and the likliehood is, we will never know the detail.

We either trust the club will do the best it can or we don't.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on January 09, 2021, 09:28:54 pm by selby »
  If he puts a transfer request in writing he gives up his 5% of the fee, and don't pay the agent who is causing the problem so he gets a payment in a bad year. plus we want a hefty sell on clause .
and cash up front or at least the majority of it.
  Staged payments from a championship club possibly living beyond their means in this environment is dodgy to say the least. we should be asking Preston or any club for verification of funds before entering into any transfer negotiations.
  A lot of clubs who have been claiming poverty in the Championship have either been telling porkies trying to milk the situation, or are now willing to start going down the road of spending money they don't have again.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on January 09, 2021, 09:31:50 pm by Filo »
I think if you are of a certain age you will be scarred by the amount of times we were ripped off in the past Mark Rankine, Rufus Brevitt, Brian Deane, both Snods are names that come to mind where we should have got a lot more for them

TinyPortal © 2005-2012