Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:20:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman to Preston ?  (Read 41850 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Whiteman to Preston ?
« Reply #180 on January 10, 2021, 12:39:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
That’s massively under valuing him,
Preston themselves spent 2 million last season on a league one central midfielder who has had nothing of a career compared to ben.
How we can think 500k-1 million less for ben than Baylis is ok is baffling

They paid £2m in August 2019, well before the pandemic. Football finances have changed dramatically since then. The market is entirely different.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on January 10, 2021, 12:40:31 pm by mushRTID »
Sad of me to notice but Ben hasn't put anything on Twitter or Instagram to congratulate the lads about yesterday.

I can see he's just liked a Max & Paddy tweet from just over 20 minutes ago (that's the sad part on my behalf) so the signs are there. He wants out.

Not sure if I'm reading too much into it but for him to not even acknowledge the lads performance yesterday (which is the norm on social media these days) cuts deep & I thought better of him.

Not sad, Iv noticed the same.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on January 10, 2021, 12:41:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
I reckon 1.5 million gets him

I’m sure I read somewhere that Sheff Utd had a 30% sell on, thats £450k go e straight away, add into that deffered wages and agent fees, that will probablytake it below £1m, and then theres the probability of installments, it will do nothing for our immediate cash flow

It won’t shift the dial but sell on fee is often on the profit not the gross fee. We did pay a decent fee (for us) for Whiteman.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on January 10, 2021, 12:48:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
Also, let’s - just for a moment - take him at his word that he seemingly wants to move closer to home. If this was genuine (and we heard same from Akinfenwa and Marquis to dubious conclusions) he doesn’t have much choice in a Championship. Maybe Huddersfield or Stoke a little closer to Manchester? That is it really in the Championship. Preston would be closest to fit the bill, if this were a real consideration.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on January 10, 2021, 01:02:33 pm by dickos1 »
That’s massively under valuing him,
Preston themselves spent 2 million last season on a league one central midfielder who has had nothing of a career compared to ben.
How we can think 500k-1 million less for ben than Baylis is ok is baffling

They paid £2m in August 2019, well before the pandemic. Football finances have changed dramatically since then. The market is entirely different.

It makes sense then to keep hold of him until the summer when he’s still got two years on his deal and clubs will be getting back to normality.
It seems ridiculous to sell your best players in the middle of a pandemic if as you say it’s dramatically reducing the value of players

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on January 10, 2021, 01:07:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
I agree. He has a chance to captain a promotion winning side then potentially chose between playing with us in Championship or being a more attractive asset in summer to leave. But he seems to want to go now, as he will be thinking is this offer going to be there in the summer?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on January 10, 2021, 01:12:07 pm by dickos1 »
Looking at the numbers interested he must realise there will still be offers in the summer.
There were reports of him stating that the club needed to help them with bringing in more players maybe a year or so ago, so he may feel this hasn’t happened but you’d hope that he’d realise that things have changed in a year but you never know

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on January 10, 2021, 01:20:39 pm by redarmy82 »
We always sell on the cheap. It's nothing new. Look at how much Marquis went for, compared to similar strikers at this level. Toney for example.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on January 10, 2021, 01:28:57 pm by Chris the Rover »
If Whiteman wants to leave and we prevent that, do you seriously think he will give 100 percent for us in games going forward? Did he not play yesterday because DM chose not to pick him, or did he just not want to play? If he wants to go, then get rid as far as I’m concerned. His commitment to our club has obviously diminished. Sell him for as much as we can possibly get and move on. No one player is bigger than the club.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on January 10, 2021, 01:55:47 pm by elmsallrover »
Well you can say the same about loan players then I think Ben is more professional than that

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on January 10, 2021, 01:56:53 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t think that at all
I think if he stayed he’d be as committed as he always has been.
He’s a professional footballer and he definitely doesn’t seem the character that would behave like that.

Keeping him could very likely be the difference between us getting promoted or not

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on January 10, 2021, 02:39:13 pm by godlike1 »
Good post DBR but I can’t help thinking this is the wrong time for Ben and for us. We all know he wants and deserves a rise up the football ladder, but the disruption it could create could be very harmful to any hopes we have of promotion.

We should be doing all we can to hang onto Ben until the summer and then he can choose what’s best for him - stay with us in the Championship or try elsewhere!

But that's exactly what we're trying to do  though Alan. It doesn't mean we'll be successful, that's down to the player not us.

And that is all we want to hear i think. There are some who may say that because he is under contract we have more control than normal to make that happen

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on January 10, 2021, 02:58:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Sad of me to notice but Ben hasn't put anything on Twitter or Instagram to congratulate the lads about yesterday.

I can see he's just liked a Max & Paddy tweet from just over 20 minutes ago (that's the sad part on my behalf) so the signs are there. He wants out.

Not sure if I'm reading too much into it but for him to not even acknowledge the lads performance yesterday (which is the norm on social media these days) cuts deep & I thought better of him.

I think that's really unfair. Before the Max & Paddy tweet he liked Andy Butler's tweet about the win, he liked Rovers' official account's tweet naming Anderson Man of the Match, and he viewed all of ITEN's Instagram story posts at the usual time he does after games too. Oh and he commented on Taylor Richards' post on Instagram too. So if we're judging his desire on social media activity (which I don't think we should) then I'd say it is still there.

He doesn't post much on Twitter really anyway. But he does read a lot of what gets said about him, that I do know!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:10:06 pm by RoversAlias »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on January 10, 2021, 03:38:52 pm by Janso »
But if Alfie May can tweet his congratulations, a lad who's been gone nearly a year, why can the captain of the team not?

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on January 10, 2021, 03:57:17 pm by Prez »

I think that's really unfair. Before the Max & Paddy tweet he liked Andy Butler's tweet about the win, he liked Rovers' official account's tweet naming Anderson Man of the Match, and he viewed all of ITEN's Instagram story posts at the usual time he does after games too. Oh and he commented on Taylor Richards' post on Instagram too. So if we're judging his desire on social media activity (which I don't think we should) then I'd say it is still there.

He doesn't post much on Twitter really anyway. But he does read a lot of what gets said about him, that I do know!

Whilst he doesnt post much on twitter when he does he really shows his pride and affection for the club. You would have thought he would have at least posted on his own account yesterday about the result. It certainley appears true to me that what Martin said is true and he wants out. Shame really. What i dont get is if Ben is saying he wants championship football because he isnt getting any younger, then why did he sign a long term contract with us?

I could understand it if we were out of the promotion frame but obviously we are in a great position. Why just see the season out, and if we dont go up ask for a move? its only another 5 month.

Its inevitable hes going, but one thing is for sure, hes not bigger than the club, no one is, and i fully trust DM to find a replacement. He will have his targets, dont worry about that.

One door closes, another one opens.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on January 10, 2021, 04:12:53 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Have to agree to disagree but I'd like a bit more from the captain of my club after 11 of his team mates have put in a herculean effort to get to the 4th round of the Fa Cup.

As stated, Alfie has been gone a year and he still posted a message.

Just leaves a bitter taste, thats all.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on January 10, 2021, 04:41:05 pm by Janso »

Whilst he doesnt post much on twitter when he does he really shows his pride and affection for the club. You would have thought he would have at least posted on his own account yesterday about the result. It certainley appears true to me that what Martin said is true and he wants out. Shame really. What i dont get is if Ben is saying he wants championship football because he isnt getting any younger, then why did he sign a long term contract with us?

I could understand it if we were out of the promotion frame but obviously we are in a great position. Why just see the season out, and if we dont go up ask for a move? its only another 5 month.

Its inevitable hes going, but one thing is for sure, hes not bigger than the club, no one is, and i fully trust DM to find a replacement. He will have his targets, dont worry about that.

Plus he's only 24. It's not as if he's never going to get another chance if he doesn't go now.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on January 10, 2021, 04:50:27 pm by colincramb »

Plus he's only 24. It's not as if he's never going to get another chance if he doesn't go now.

Well that’s not strictly true is it. He could play against Swindon next Saturday and get a career ending injury. Sometimes you just have to grasp an opportunity. No hard feelings, we’ve lost big players before and we will again. That’s football

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on January 10, 2021, 04:57:42 pm by keith79 »
Who has said his head was turned? Was it Moore or the newspapers

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #199 on January 10, 2021, 05:00:32 pm by idler »
The exorcist.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #200 on January 10, 2021, 05:19:42 pm by Prez »
The exorcist.

Glad you still have a sense of humour idler after no doubt going through a tough personal time.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on January 10, 2021, 05:22:34 pm by Janso »

Well that’s not strictly true is it. He could play against Swindon next Saturday and get a career ending injury. Sometimes you just have to grasp an opportunity. No hard feelings, we’ve lost big players before and we will again. That’s football

He could just as easily get that career-ending injury in a training ground accident before he's even pulled on a Preston shirt.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on January 10, 2021, 05:25:42 pm by NickDRFC »
I’ve read a few times now, on here and Twitter, that we should take what we can get for Ben because “no player is bigger than the club”.

For me it’s quite the opposite - if we sell him for a knock down fee because he’s forced through a move then we are pandering and allowing ourselves to be walked over. If his attitude is wrong (not saying it is or would be) then letting him squirm for a few months before cashing in in the summer would be showing that no player is bigger than the club.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on January 10, 2021, 05:30:04 pm by Spilsby Red »
Who has said he has forced a move. Some people on here, really. Whiteman has been the upmost professional for us, yes I would like him to stay. But what a player he is, if he goes this month I wish him all the best (again I hope he doesn’t). If you do leave us Ben, then all I can say is thank you for all your effort you have given our club. A truly great player

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on January 10, 2021, 05:37:07 pm by Padge_DRFC »
If we're selling get it done now. All of a sudden we've gone by 5 more league games without a proper centre mid. Get him sold and replaced ASAP or X amount by X date or sod off until the summer. This could really derail us in January if not careful.

On fees how much did Stock and Wellens go for? 2 better players and proved they could dominate midfields in the championship before leaving.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #205 on January 10, 2021, 05:38:12 pm by selby »
  I wouldn't be paying any agent fee at all as he is not representing the best interests of our club, Preston and Ben would have to see to them.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on January 10, 2021, 05:41:38 pm by colincramb »

He could just as easily get that career-ending injury in a training ground accident before he's even pulled on a Preston shirt.

You’ve just backed up my argument

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on January 10, 2021, 05:43:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, the good thing is, it's the professionals that will sort this out one way or another. Everyone's guessing what's going on behind the scenes but nobody truly knows.

Some have already made their mind up what the outcomes likely to be and who's at fault. The rest are philosophical enough to know its football and either way, we have a good manager and some very good players to carry us forward.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on January 10, 2021, 05:45:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
Can I just add some very good players.........and a quality replacement for BW, should he leave.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on January 10, 2021, 05:50:32 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm actually astounded that people think it's fair to slate him for not tweeting. I find it really unfair.

Brad Halliday didn't tweet about the game. Nor did Fejiri. Or Ellery Balcombe. Or Jason Lokilo. Multiple other players who didn't play, like Ben, also didn't tweet, including Louis Jones, or Gomes, or Taylor, or Smith.

More than half our fanbase probably isn't even on Twitter, so how is that something to point to to say Whiteman isn't committed. And I say that as someone who tweets every day about Rovers just about.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012