Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:33:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Blatant penalty !  (Read 29290 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Blatant penalty !
« Reply #180 on January 14, 2018, 01:30:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Third option is they buck their ideas up, improve their decision making and stop making ridiculous, incompetent decisions!

Oh, yes, sorry BST, you're right, there is no third option!!  :suicide:

Lincs

Keep in mind the context of what I said last night. A L1 ref will get paid maybe £8000 a season.

You can’t pay peanuts and expect to get diamonds. If clubs were that bothered, they’d up refs’ salaries to 6 figures and they’d have better candidates fighting for the roles. If clubs aren’t prepared to do that, don’t blame the refs for being (very) semi-pro in a pro game. That’s not their fault.

The answer is make them full time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on January 14, 2018, 01:35:09 pm by Filo »
It seems not many disagree with Fergies omments

https://mobile.twitter.com/EFL/status/952518694210588672

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #182 on January 14, 2018, 01:49:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Third option is they buck their ideas up, improve their decision making and stop making ridiculous, incompetent decisions!

Lincs

Keep in mind the context of what I said last night. A L1 ref will get paid maybe £8000 a season.

You can’t pay peanuts and expect to get diamonds. If clubs were that bothered, they’d up refs’ salaries to 6 figures and they’d have better candidates fighting for the roles. If clubs aren’t prepared to do that, don’t blame the refs for being (very) semi-pro in a pro game. That’s not their fault.

Grand. So someone has to pay for it.  I assume clubs will be falling over themselves to put their hands in their pockets.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on January 14, 2018, 02:37:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Lincs

Grand. So someone has to pay for it.  I assume clubs will be falling over themselves to put their hands in their pockets.

Surely they would be fine with it if it guarantees a better standard of refereeing.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on January 14, 2018, 02:44:32 pm by The Red Baron »
Looking around the Leagues there seems to have been some controversies at all levels this weekend:

Watford v Southampton. Watford player scores equaliser with his hand.

Newcastle v Swansea. Newcastle defender saves a goal with his hand.

Middlesbrough v Fulham. Boro denied a penalty as blatant as ours and then concede one from a dive (at least the diver should cop a ban over that).

Lincoln v Notts County. Cowley sent to the stands for protesting about a goal.

And just now... Bournemouth v Arsenal. Referee misses an Arsenal handball despite being perfectly placed.

Should give the FA food for thought, but I won't hold my breath. All referees involved (except at Lincoln) are full timers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #185 on January 14, 2018, 02:47:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Lincs

Surely they would be fine with it if it guarantees a better standard of refereeing.

You’d think so wouldn’t you? And yet they haven’t addressed it over all these years.

Maybe the clubs and the League realise that honest errors tend to even out over time, so mistakes by the officials are something that you should just take on the chin?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on January 14, 2018, 03:01:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Lincs

You’d think so wouldn’t you? And yet they haven’t addressed it over all these years.

Maybe the clubs and the League realise that honest errors tend to even out over time, so mistakes by the officials are something that you should just take on the chin?

But if you can improve them so there's less errors?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on January 14, 2018, 03:24:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Lincs

Aye. Then, like I said, you wonder why the League don’t pay the refs more.

Last year, Premier League refs were paid £45k per year. A bit of perspective: Paul Pogba earns that amount every 22 hours.

If you are complicit in that system, you can’t really vitriolically criticise referees and retain any self-respect.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #188 on January 14, 2018, 03:46:35 pm by dickos1 »
Well, here’s my take.

1) Referees are fallible but fundamentally honest, in which case we’ve nothing to worry about. Yes we’ve had some bad decisions over the past couple of games but these even out over time (how many penalties have we won through Tommy Rowe diving?)

2) Referees bear grudges and will punish us for Ferguson’s remarks. In which case, Ferguson was stupid to say them.

Not sure there’s a third option.

Bit off a contradiction isn't it,

If they're  holding a grudge they aren't being honest

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on January 14, 2018, 03:48:24 pm by dickos1 »

Lincs

Aye. Then, like I said, you wonder why the League don’t pay the refs more.

Last year, Premier League refs were paid £45k per year. A bit of perspective: Paul Pogba earns that amount every 22 hours.

If you are complicit in that system, you can’t really vitriolically criticise referees and retain any self-respect.

People don't pay £60 a ticket to go watch the referee

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on January 14, 2018, 03:54:09 pm by graingrover »
Whatever the critics thinks I am very glad to have a Manager who speaks his mind on a subject of vital importance to the sport we all support the quality and professionalism of the people who help determine the results of the game .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #191 on January 14, 2018, 03:56:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The FA has the cash so spend it...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on January 14, 2018, 04:12:11 pm by selby »
Quotes from the Plymouth manager Derrick Adams in the F.L. paper, the referee had a good game and was excellent,the officials were very good,and got the penalty decision right.
  In the same article their ratings were,Houghton 5, Kongolo 5, May 6, I don't think  they were at the same game as me.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #193 on January 14, 2018, 04:17:57 pm by LincsRover »
Quotes from the Plymouth forum also slating fergie for being son of fergie (brings ploppy to mind from blackadder!), and for "winging & whining", rovers fans for thinking we are bigger/better than we are & for the way we treated murderer McCormick last year, and rovers players for being thugs. Any small respect I had for their travelling brigade completely gone thanks to their keyboard warrior w*nkers!! I hope they go down!  :evil:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:23:41 pm by LincsRover »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on January 14, 2018, 04:20:23 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Quotes from the Plymouth forum also slating fergie for being son of fergie (brings ploppy to mind from blackadder!), and for "winging & whining, rovers fans for thinking we are bigger/better than we are & for the way we treated murderer McCormick last year, and rovers players for being thugs. Any small respect I had for their travelling brigade completely gone thanks to their keyboard warrior w*nkers!! I hope they go down!  :evil:

I wonder how our very own keyboard warriors would react if the roles were reversed?

Probably best not to tar everyone with the same brush.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:31:45 pm by Dutch Uncle »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on January 14, 2018, 04:25:46 pm by The Red Baron »
Quotes from the Plymouth forum also slating fergie for being son of fergie (brings ploppy to mind from blackadder!), and for "winging & whining, rovers fans for thinking we are bigger/better than we are & for the way we treated murderer McCormick last year, and rovers players for being thugs. Any small respect I had for their travelling brigade completely gone thanks to their keyboard warrior w*nkers!! I hope they go down!  :evil:

We think we're bigger than we are? Plymouth fans have greater delusions of grandeur than any others in League One and League Two. Their history is very similar to ours and their natural level is League One.

While I was gutted that we screwed up the title last season the consolation was that Plymouth didn't win it either. At least Portsmouth have been in the top flight in living memory and at one time were a real power in the land.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on January 14, 2018, 04:39:53 pm by Campsall rover »
Quotes from the Plymouth manager Derrick Adams in the F.L. paper, the referee had a good game and was excellent,the officials were very good,and got the penalty decision right.
  In the same article their ratings were,Houghton 5, Kongolo 5, May 6, I don't think  they were at the same game as me.
Is Adams, Jones ( Luton manager ) in disguise. Both deluded that’s for sure.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on January 14, 2018, 04:43:26 pm by Campsall rover »
Fergie and Adams are good mates aren’t they?
Well probably not now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on January 14, 2018, 05:15:27 pm by drfchound »
Well, here’s my take.

1) Referees are fallible but fundamentally honest, in which case we’ve nothing to worry about. Yes we’ve had some bad decisions over the past couple of games but these even out over time (how many penalties have we won through Tommy Rowe diving?)

2) Referees bear grudges and will punish us for Ferguson’s remarks. In which case, Ferguson was stupid to say them.

So how many pens have we won through Rowe diving?
Genuine question BST.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on January 14, 2018, 05:21:48 pm by German Rover »
The FA has the cash so spend it...

They won't spend money in the football league. Two different organisations

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #200 on January 14, 2018, 05:30:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well, here’s my take.

Genuine question BST.

There’s one at 1:32 here for a start.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlizRWyGzI

I was about 10 yards from it. It was a dive.

If you’re prepared to accept mistakes like this from the ref when they go our way (and regularly say that you want our players to be even better than this at deceiving the ref, as some do in here), it’s a bit rich complaining when refs get calls wrong against us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on January 14, 2018, 05:39:04 pm by drfchound »
Well, here’s my take.

Genuine question BST.

There’s one at 1:32 here for a start.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlizRWyGzI

I was about 10 yards from it. It was a dive.

If you’re prepared to accept mistakes like this from the ref when they go our way (and regularly say that you want our players to be even better than this at deceiving the ref, as some do in here), it’s a bit rich complaining when refs get calls wrong against us.

There was a definite contact on Rowe there by the player who knelt down as he goes past him.
Not a conclusive dive by any stretch of the imagination.
Still that is one incident, not the numerous that you seem to have indicated in your earlier post.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:43:40 pm by drfchound »

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on January 14, 2018, 05:40:07 pm by anne honemous »
I think over the course of a game every referee is going to make a decision which isn't correct. That's human nature and you just have to hope it's not a big decision.

The problem yesterday is that the referee made a series of wrong decisions at key stages, and it pretty much influenced the eventual outcome of the game.

If he'd have got things correct, we'd have won - either 1-0 or 2-0 depending on the outcome of the penalty itself - and even though Plymouth were a very good team without the decisions, they'd have been cursing their strikers for being toothless up top.

But instead because of the referee's cock ups, Plymouth would have won 2-1 had it not been for that late save with the feet by Lawlor.

Referees do have a tough job and all that cliched malarkey, but some referees make the job tough for themselves.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on January 14, 2018, 05:41:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Here's another question:

How many penalties have referees not given on Tommy Rowe because they thought he was diving, when he wasn't?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on January 14, 2018, 05:44:45 pm by drfchound »
Here's another question:

How many penalties have referees not given on Tommy Rowe because they thought he was diving, when he wasn't?

A very valid point Alan.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #205 on January 14, 2018, 05:45:01 pm by Pancho Regan »
RA

You reckon Ferguson is right to say that he would shoot refs and that he should only get a slap on the wrist then we have different standards.

If I were the club owner, I’d tell him to call a press conference tomorrow and apologise unreservedly, or I would sack him.

There is some rubbish posted on here and this is up there with the best examples.

Anyone who thinks for one moment that DF was advocating violence against refs needs a reality check. I’ve never heard such nonsense.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #206 on January 14, 2018, 05:53:56 pm by Superspy »
Christ alive there was some shocking defending in that Blackpool game.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on January 14, 2018, 05:58:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

You might want to read the several posts where I’ve said that I don’t believe for 1 minute that Ferguson was advocating violence against the ref. That’s not the reason I think he was stupid and unprofessional.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #208 on January 14, 2018, 06:13:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST

You asked if Fergie was right to say that he would shoot refs.

He didn't say that.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on January 14, 2018, 06:20:45 pm by Lincoln Rover »
As far as I recall he was asked.
" What should that FA do?"
His response was as we know and he NEVER said HE Would do the deed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012