Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:20:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33515 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #240 on July 17, 2018, 10:51:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
Something is not adding up and it's only just dawned on me, let me explain:

Steve@dcfd wrote -
Wanted AG but Peterborough want to much money.

but then he also wrote -

He is happy with the midfield players he has.

So, in summary, yes, he's happy with the midfield players he has (he's hardly likely to say he's unhappy) but if he could get Grant (or someone similar) he'd go and get him. That says to me, we haven't quite finished, yet!

Small crumb, I know, but that gives me hope that we are not done in the market for a midfielder - anyone care to correct or agree with me?

Also, good news (sort of) that the Bristol lad is not over by any means and it looks like it's a health issue (understandable) that's holding things up. Can't be too careful, as we know with Kiwomya last season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #241 on July 17, 2018, 10:54:50 pm by RedJ »
Well, you can be happy with what you've got but still want to improve. Like, I'm happy with the way I've got all my shite set up in my house, but if something else came along that I liked the look of, I'd be looking into it.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #242 on July 17, 2018, 11:27:08 pm by dknward2 »
Think that's a perfect summary happy with how we are but if a player comes up that's right for us and return on investment is right then he will go for it

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on July 18, 2018, 12:31:44 am by Akinfenwa »
Capable of finishing in the top 6, really? Based on what exactly? Saying it enough times and believing it hard enough?

The team struggled last season and finished 15th. In terms of what the club seem to think is possible this year, we were way off the pace in both depth and quality.

Have we strengthened the team significantly since? No. Actually there's a fair case that we've not even replaced what we had.

Does the manager's record suggest that he's any more capable than the last one? No, not yet anyway.

These people must be on a different planet to everyone else if they think we have the tools to challenge for the top 6! It just doesn't add up at all.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on July 18, 2018, 02:33:07 am by Danmckay456 »
Look at the money saved this summer on wages and tell me the budget has gone up how can it of gone up with what we’ve shipped out and brought in so far

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on July 18, 2018, 06:21:51 am by Jonathan »
Look at the money saved this summer on wages and tell me the budget has gone up how can it of gone up with what we’ve shipped out and brought in so far

The budget can have increased. It may have gone up significantly for all we know. But I would expect that actual expenditure is currently projected to decrease based on the squad we have in place at this point in time.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on July 18, 2018, 07:07:36 am by NickDRFC »
GM is looking for a forward player.
Resources are their if GM feels he needs to bring in player that are better than what he has.
Both GM and GB believe they have the resources for atop six finish.
GM believes he has the players for top six finish.
Players committed to the way he wants to play.
JM not for sale don’t need or want to sell him.
ML kept because he will challenge NM.

So we WERE in for Anthony Grant? What happened to the previous denials by the board that the Peterborough lot were making it up?

This isn’t a dig at the board, by the way, it’s a genuine question as to why there was such a strong denial on here on behalf of the board when evidently we had been interested.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on July 18, 2018, 07:24:23 am by Danmckay456 »
What the hell does gavin Baldwin know about a budget for a top 6 finish im amazed at the garbage this man talks on a repeated basis

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on July 18, 2018, 07:36:36 am by DonnyOsmond »
What the hell does gavin Baldwin know about a budget for a top 6 finish im amazed at the garbage this man talks on a repeated basis

Well you know all about talking rubbish x

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #249 on July 18, 2018, 07:43:25 am by mpc123 »
Capable of finishing in the top 6, really? Based on what exactly? Saying it enough times and believing it hard enough?

The team struggled last season and finished 15th. In terms of what the club seem to think is possible this year, we were way off the pace in both depth and quality.

Have we strengthened the team significantly since? No. Actually there's a fair case that we've not even replaced what we had.

Does the manager's record suggest that he's any more capable than the last one? No, not yet anyway.

These people must be on a different planet to everyone else if they think we have the tools to challenge for the top 6! It just doesn't add up at all.

A change from 3 5 2 to 4 3 3 for this set of players could make a massive difference. The new players bring pace in forward position, what we didn't have last year.

Like most people I think we need a strong CM to complete what we have in midfield for the formation.

GM has already said the budget is high for this league, so what's the problem with believing it and why wouldn't you believe apart from just not wanting to

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #250 on July 18, 2018, 07:47:29 am by Alickismyhero »
Selby,
I am pleased that the club will receive a payment if Mandy progresses on because I think he will with the right manager. I think these highlights of Morecambe v Bolton shows he has still got what it takes and will in the near future add money to our budget for players its a pity he still not here.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2018/july/highlights-bolton-wanderers-0-0-morecambe/

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on July 18, 2018, 08:13:35 am by DonnyOsmond »
Selby,
I am pleased that the club will receive a payment if Mandy progresses on because I think he will with the right manager. I think these highlights of Morecambe v Bolton shows he has still got what it takes and will in the near future add money to our budget for players its a pity he still not here.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2018/july/highlights-bolton-wanderers-0-0-morecambe/

He looks bulkier.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #252 on July 18, 2018, 08:30:43 am by silent majority »
Resources are their if GM feels he needs to bring in player that are better than what he has.

So we WERE in for Anthony Grant? What happened to the previous denials by the board that the Peterborough lot were making it up?

This isn’t a dig at the board, by the way, it’s a genuine question as to why there was such a strong denial on here on behalf of the board when evidently we had been interested.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

As I've said before Peterborough approached somebody in the club enquiring about Marquis and  wanted to offload Grant as part of that package. The club let Peterborough know that Marquis was not for sale. At no time did the club receive a bid for Marquis and we didn't enquire about Grant, officially.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on July 18, 2018, 08:36:23 am by GazLaz »

As I've said before Peterborough approached somebody in the club enquiring about Marquis and  wanted to offload Grant as part of that package. The club let Peterborough know that Marquis was not for sale. At no time did the club receive a bid for Marquis and we didn't enquire about Grant, officially.

Unofficially then as I stated it will have been the other day. You initially said we weren’t interested and they tried to force him on to us then declared their owner was making things up when he made a statement about the matter. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:45:43 am by GazLaz »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #254 on July 18, 2018, 08:40:08 am by Filo »

I trust you went  last night to put your opinion of him to him?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #255 on July 18, 2018, 08:45:34 am by since-1969 »

Your correct it’s mainly the same team who threw away a L2 Champions position lost too many games from winning positions also and when you add in the possible transfer of Marquis our ONLY decent striker we’ve had for years . The ambition for the future is being done on the ‘Pay as you Go ‘ basis and i believe  illustrates lack of REAL investment in the new regime.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on July 18, 2018, 08:54:33 am by silent majority »

Unofficially then as I stated it will have been the other day. You initially said we weren’t interested and they tried to force him on to us then declared their owner was making things up when he made a statement about the matter. 

And that still remains the same. We never enquired about Grant. They wanted to include him in a deal for Marquis who isn't for sale. No official bids or enquiries were made. So, how can we have not been able to match their asking price, which was the original quote from Peterborough, if we didn't want him as part of a deal?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on July 18, 2018, 09:00:42 am by steve@dcfd »

And that still remains the same. We never enquired about Grant. They wanted to include him in a deal for Marquis who isn't for sale. No official bids or enquiries were made. So, how can we have not been able to match their asking price, which was the original quote from Peterborough, if we didn't want him as part of a deal?

SM I have PM you on what was said last night by GM and GB.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #258 on July 18, 2018, 09:08:00 am by dickos1 »
What was said?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on July 18, 2018, 09:20:48 am by GazLaz »
What was said?

The information must be too compromising to put in the public domain!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on July 18, 2018, 09:25:35 am by Filo »
What was said?

It was said in a public meeting was n't it?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #261 on July 18, 2018, 09:40:40 am by dickos1 »
What was said?

It was said in a public meeting was n't it?

Seems a bit strange that it’s being discussed via private messages rather than on the forum though doesn’t it?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #262 on July 18, 2018, 10:15:36 am by selby »
  Grant was specific on this matter, he said that the price Peterborough was asking was above HIS valuation for a player they do not want, and at his age.
   Yes he likes him and considers him a good player, he hinted that, yes he would be interested in the player at the right price, but not at the price being asked.
   He also said he was happy with his options with Whiteman and McCullough in that area, and mentioned Houghton from last season, but considers McCullough a better player than Houghton.
  I think some of the keyboard warriors would be better served getting to a meeting ( there is another on Thursday evening), and instead of drawing conclusions that do not exist, and commenting on half truths on here, or even making things up, they will be able to listen to the answers, ask their own questions, as at the meetings I have attended every question asked has received  a comprehensive answer.   

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #263 on July 18, 2018, 10:30:39 am by selby »
  Since 1969, have you considered that it  was our manager that underperformed with the players at his disposal.
  I think he did in three consecutive seasons.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on July 18, 2018, 01:11:39 pm by silent majority »
  Since 1969, have you considered that it  was our manager that underperformed with the players at his disposal.

Nail. On. Head.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on July 18, 2018, 01:17:12 pm by Lifelong supporter »
McCann said at last night's meeting that if Grant was available at the right price he would drive there to pick him up himself.
He also said he had received two bids for Marquis and Baldwin also said he had received an offer from a Scottish club for him.
As Filo said it was a public meeting so why shouldn't people know?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on July 18, 2018, 01:19:43 pm by Lifelong supporter »

Nail. On. Head.

Yes, he really underperformed when we won promotion didn't he?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on July 18, 2018, 01:20:49 pm by GazLaz »
McCann said at last night's meeting that if Grant was available at the right price he would drive there to pick him up himself.
He also said he had received two bids for Marquis and Baldwin also said he had received an offer from a Scottish club for him.

It doesn’t matter what McCann says it’s what SM says that matters!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #268 on July 18, 2018, 01:22:10 pm by silent majority »

Nail. On. Head.

Yes, he really underperformed when we won promotion didn't he?

Towards the end of the season most definitely.

Last season, (all of it) most definitely.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #269 on July 18, 2018, 01:23:41 pm by silent majority »

It doesn’t matter what McCann says it’s what SM says that matters!

What is your point Gaz? I report back what the club tell me, is that not OK for you?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012