Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:24:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The likes of Doncaster.  (Read 2645 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
The likes of Doncaster.
« on May 27, 2013, 11:15:35 pm by RedJ »
It's started already I see.

Jonathan Pearce on TFLS - "the loser faces trips to the likes of Doncaster and Yeovil and various outposts in between." How patronising can you get.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: The likes of Doncaster.
« Reply #1 on May 27, 2013, 11:35:23 pm by PDX_Rover »
w**ker.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 28, 2013, 12:05:43 am by GazLaz »
Us and Yeovil are the smallest teams in that division I don't see what's wrong.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 28, 2013, 12:11:57 am by Pintolager »
"The likes of" is just a figure of speech imo. Commentators, reporters etc, use those words for those playing in the prem, eg a team playing the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. I think we can get a bit too hung up about all this talk and think of it as belittling when it isn't.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 28, 2013, 12:14:14 am by RedJ »
He could have mentioned 22 other teams but he chose to mention the two smallest in the division.

I found the way he came across while saying it patronising.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 28, 2013, 12:29:20 am by GazLaz »
He chose the two smallest in purpose the emphasise the gulf between missing out or gaining promotion and playing some of the biggest sides on the planet. No big deal.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 28, 2013, 12:58:13 am by RoversAlias »
Gaz is right. What he's saying doesn't have the same effect if he says "and the loser faces trips to Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Leicester next season".

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 28, 2013, 06:04:53 am by not on facebook »
Cant see why anyone gets Their knickers in a twist
When that Saying is used.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2013, 07:27:34 am by Donnywolf »
"The likes of" is just a figure of speech imo. Commentators, reporters etc, use those words for those playing in the prem, eg a team playing the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. I think we can get a bit too hung up about all this talk and think of it as belittling when it isn't.

I am totally in agreement with that statement.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2013, 08:43:45 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Doesn't bother me.  We're just a pub team having a laugh.  Lets enjoy it  :scarf:

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 28, 2013, 08:48:03 am by scaley back rover »
i love being a team like us especially when we upset the big teams it just makes it that more satisfying. I would rather support a team like us rather than the teams like man utd ir chelski anyday.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 28, 2013, 09:05:50 am by PaulRover08 »
Odd how it gets peoples backs up. Many were saying the same thing here when we were going down. We'll be playing the likes of Crawley. Get over it.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 28, 2013, 09:24:32 am by Al4475 »
Daft as it seems - I think it's almost a compliment as to how well we have overachieved over the last 10 years or so. Let's be honest up until getting out of the Conference we'd spent the previous 20 years almost languishing in the bottom two tiers of the football pyramid.

The season before I started being a regular attendee at Rovers games - the 1983/84 (promotion from the bottom tier behind York) was the last time we'd been out of the bottom tier prior to regaining our League Status - many people forget this.

So maybe, 'The likes of Doncaster and Yeovil' - who were only out of the non-league for the first time (I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong) the same season we got back into the league - despite sounding patronising is also a term of respect as in, 'Look at the likes of Doncaster and Yeovil - in the second tier on their gates and with their history- amazing achievements.'

It doesn't wind me up anymore at all! It used to admittedly but not now - I'm just pleased to be a Rover at this moment in our History. :scarf:

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 28, 2013, 12:22:01 pm by adamtherover »
..... we'd spent the previous 20 years almost languishing in the bottom two tiers of the football pyramid.

the southern counties under 16's reserves is surely at the bottom of the "PYRAMID",  if we are gonna use overused cliches, at least get them in the right context..  the football league shape is a ladder, pencil, straight line etc.. what it isnt, is a pyramid...   :rtid:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 28, 2013, 12:27:58 pm by silent majority »
..... we'd spent the previous 20 years almost languishing in the bottom two tiers of the football pyramid.

the southern counties under 16's reserves is surely at the bottom of the "PYRAMID",  if we are gonna use overused cliches, at least get them in the right context..  the football league shape is a ladder, pencil, straight line etc.. what it isnt, is a pyramid...   :rtid:

The FA, most notably members of the NG (national Game) board, would disagree with you as they always refer to their structure, i.e. outside the Professional Game, as a pyramid.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 28, 2013, 12:33:29 pm by adamtherover »

The FA, most notably members of the NG (national Game) board, would disagree with you as they always refer to their structure, i.e. outside the Professional Game, as a pyramid.

that might be the case, hense i refered to a minor league side being at the botom of the pyramid,  what cant be true tho is divisions 3 and 4 being the bottom 2 rungs of the pyramid...

MartinB

« Reply #16 on May 28, 2013, 01:15:09 pm by MartinB »
But think of us...we are no longer facing the shitty little clubs the likes of Sheff Utd, Portsmouth & Coventry...instead we move onto some of the biggest clubs in the land Yeovil, Millwall and Barnsley!  :ermm:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 28, 2013, 01:23:22 pm by silent majority »

that might be the case, hense i refered to a minor league side being at the botom of the pyramid,  what cant be true tho is divisions 3 and 4 being the bottom 2 rungs of the pyramid...

adam, a slight misreading on my part, so yes, you are right.

Keith Myath

« Reply #18 on May 28, 2013, 01:30:14 pm by Keith Myath »
its a comment from a fan of football not a fan of a football team. When we went down last year i was actively looking forward to playing teams we hadn't played for a while, no matter what size attendances they historically get.

Real fans would be quite happy playing anybody, The sky sports generation would rather not.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 28, 2013, 01:32:33 pm by BobG »
True Keith. Going back to the Conference wouldn't change one bit the team I support.

BobG

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 28, 2013, 04:59:02 pm by Al4475 »
I  do apologise profusely to one and all for my misuse of the term 'football pyramid' - I won't do it again!  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012