Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:41:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations  (Read 314578 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Negotiations
« Reply #2670 on October 15, 2018, 05:25:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
A bad metaphor repeatedly stretched to the breaking point of meaninglessness.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2671 on October 15, 2018, 05:55:25 pm by RedJ »
Yes the lodger who pays way over what they should do and who keeps you house safe whilst you pi**off to the Bingo every night
Well, that's not quite a fair comparison is it. But if you felt that way and you decided to leave, then they still have f**k all obligation to you, do they? It's like me telling my bank I don't fancy paying the mortgage on my house anymore and letting my utilities know I've cancelled their direct debits but expecting to be able to live in it anyway with gas and lecky.

So smacked yer bitty  over the lodger and now we have to move on to home owners who don't want to pay their mortgage 😂

I'll read that as "I have no actual comeback so let's deflect attention away".

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2672 on October 15, 2018, 06:08:25 pm by Not Now Kato »
Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Brexit

Make no mistake, watching a tiny island nation undergo a fit of misplaced regressive imperial entitlement, lose all concept of its actual place in the world and then slowly shoot itself in the head to make a badly defined point is the funniest thing to ever happen in all of history. It’s every You’ve Been Framed video rolled into one. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha. Oh wait…

Full article here....  https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/oct/14/the-secret-joys-of-schadenfreude-why-it-shouldnt-be-a-guilty-pleasure

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2673 on October 15, 2018, 07:10:05 pm by Sprotyrover »
A bad metaphor repeatedly stretched to the breaking point of meaninglessness.
Twits out in force tonite I see

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2674 on October 15, 2018, 08:19:15 pm by RedJ »
Further proof that you have nothing to come back with.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2675 on October 15, 2018, 09:43:54 pm by SydneyRover »

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2676 on October 15, 2018, 10:12:42 pm by Not Now Kato »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2677 on October 16, 2018, 04:11:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Aye. When you've got feck all useful to say, attack the man not the ball.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2678 on October 16, 2018, 09:30:13 pm by MachoMadness »

But but but I thought it was the Remainers that were mean and snotty?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2679 on October 17, 2018, 11:04:45 am by Not Now Kato »
LEAVER: I want an omelette.

REMAINER: Right. It’s just we haven’t got any eggs.

LEAVER: Yes, we have. There they are. [HE POINTS AT A CAKE]

REMAINER: They’re in the cake.

LEAVER: Yes, get them out of the cake, please.

REMAINER: But we voted in 1974 to put them into a cake.

LEAVER: Yes, but that cake has got icing on it. Nobody said there was going to be icing on it.

REMAINER: Icing is good.

LEAVER: And there are raisins in it. I don’t like raisins. Nobody mentioned raisins. I demand another vote.

DAVID CAMERON ENTERS.

DAVID CAMERON: OK.

DAVID CAMERON SCARPERS.

LEAVER: Right, where’s my omelette?

REMAINER: I told you, the eggs are in the cake.

LEAVER: Well, get them out.

EU: It’s our cake.

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes, get them out now.

REMAINER: I have absolutely no idea how to get them out. Don’t you know how to get them out?

LEAVER: Yes! You just get them out and then you make an omelette.

REMAINER: But how?! Didn’t you give this any thought?

LEAVER: Saboteur! You’re talking eggs down. We could make omelettes before the eggs went into the cake, so there’s no reason why we can’t make them now.

THERESA MAY: It’s OK, I can do it.

REMAINER: How?

THERESA MAY: There was a vote to remove the eggs from the cake, and so the eggs will be removed from the cake.

REMAINER: Yeah, but…

LEAVER: Hang on, if we take the eggs out of the cake, does that mean we don’t have any cake? I didn’t say I didn’t want the cake, just the bits I don’t like.

REMAINER: But you can’t take the eggs out of the cake and then still have a cake.

LEAVER: You can. I saw the latest Bake Off and you can definitely make cakes without eggs in them. It’s just that they’re horrible.

REMAINER: Fine. Take the eggs out. See what happens.

LEAVER: It’s not my responsibility to take the eggs out. Get on with it.

REMAINER: Why should I have to come up with some long-winded incredibly difficult chemical process to extract eggs that have bonded at the molecular level to the cake, while somehow still having the cake?

LEAVER: You lost, get over it.

THERESA MAY: By the way, I’ve started the clock on this.

REMAINER: So I assume you have a plan?

THERESA MAY: Actually, back in a bit. Just having another election.

REMAINER: Jeremy, are you going to sort this out?

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes. No. Maybe.

LEAVER: Where’s my omelette? I voted for an omelette.

REMAINER: This is ridiculous. This is never going to work. We should have another vote, or at least stop what we’re doing until we know how to get the eggs out of the cake while keeping the bits of the cake that we all like.

LEAVER/MAY/CORBYN: WE HAD A VOTE. STOP SABOTAGING THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. EGGSIT MEANS EGGSIT.

REMAINER: Fine, I’m moving to France. The cakes are nicer there.

LEAVER: You can’t. We’ve taken away your freedom of movement.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2680 on October 17, 2018, 12:47:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

But but but I thought it was the Remainers that were mean and snotty?

Ah, but when Brexiteers do it, it's the 'Will Of The People'™

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2681 on October 18, 2018, 09:30:02 am by MachoMadness »
Listening to Michael Caine on the radio say "I’d rather be a poor master of my fate than be rich and having someone I don’t know running it," was interesting this morning. Not least because he's a multi-millionaire who's lived in Miami for over half his life. Noticing the pattern here? Everyone who says Brexit will be alright are the people who won't be affected by it at all?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2682 on October 18, 2018, 10:03:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Unfortunately MM, that's not true. Most of the people who are saying Brexiteers will be ok (but who aren't famous) will get f**king hammered by the effects of Brexit.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2683 on October 18, 2018, 11:24:58 am by MachoMadness »
That's probably right on reflection. They're only repeating the lies they've been fed for a generation, from influential figures just like Michael Caine, but at this point I'd wager a lot of Brexit voters know they were lied to. They just don't care, or they handwave it away with "well, all politicians lie!" - anything to avoid looking in the mirror and admitting you've had your pants pulled down.

On another note we had Roger Daltrey on yesterday saying the same thing! One of the blokes behind Quadrophenia siding with Aron Banks, Rees-Mogg, Putin, tax avoiding-millionaires... very odd.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2684 on October 18, 2018, 11:29:36 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You ever read Animal Farm?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #2685 on October 18, 2018, 02:10:03 pm by foxbat »
it's well and truly obvious another vote ( with the facts this time ) is needed.

coachloads of people travelling down to London on Saturday
to protest for a ' People's Vote '

eg.
1.    Manchester for Europe #FBPE#ABTV#WATON  🇪🇺‏ @Mcr4EU
Manchester for Europe #FBPE#ABTV#WATON  🇪🇺 Retweeted Lady Muck
Have you got your placards ready? #RoadTrip #PeopesVoteMarch

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2686 on October 18, 2018, 03:08:30 pm by Filo »
How many more times must the Maybot kick the can down the road before the Country has had enough? As a leave voter it,s become obvious to me that a decision to leave was more complex then the average man in the street realised. Having said that I still Think the eu are making things as difficult as possible

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2687 on October 18, 2018, 03:25:32 pm by Not Now Kato »
Anyone remember all those free trade agreements we were going to get?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-us-could-block-trade-with-china-wtms3vc30

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2688 on October 18, 2018, 03:32:35 pm by Not Now Kato »
And an Australian deal doesn't look as if it's going to be too rosy either....

https://twitter.com/emporersnewc/status/1052459090151137280

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2689 on October 18, 2018, 03:42:06 pm by RedJ »
How many more times must the Maybot kick the can down the road before the Country has had enough? As a leave voter it,s become obvious to me that a decision to leave was more complex then the average man in the street realised. Having said that I still Think the eu are making things as difficult as possible

What, by sticking to their own rules, as they have done all along? why are people still genuinely surprised by this?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2690 on October 18, 2018, 03:48:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

What have they done since the referendum to make things difficult that those who bothered to take notice of didn't know before the referendum?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #2691 on October 18, 2018, 04:31:14 pm by foxbat »
the EU making it difficult ? WE are part of the EU.
for a generation the lying Mail and Sun have been trying to
to make out that the EU is an outside body ' telling us what to do ',
when WE are one of the members of the EU parliament.

as for these negotiations :

Manchester for Europe #FBPE#ABTV#WATON  🇪🇺 Retweeted
Gavin Esler‏ @gavinesler
Gavin Esler Retweeted Ben Bradshaw
Here in Brussels there is bemusement and alarm that a British Government which does not know what it wants keeps asking EU leaders to help them deliver it. Respect has gone. Pity is in evidence. And increasing impatience.

sums it up nicely

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #2692 on October 18, 2018, 05:00:11 pm by bobjimwilly »
Having said that I still Think the eu are making things as difficult as possible

TBF Filo, it's in their interest. They do want us to stay, and if they can "help" trigger another referendum or even make Maybot cancel Brexit altogether, they will.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2693 on October 18, 2018, 06:21:56 pm by wilts rover »
Its alright we can always trade on WTO terms whilst we wait for the rest of the world to queue up to beg us to do trade deals with them. Oh hang on....

...bl**dy immigrants!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-17/how-tiny-moldova-s-brexit-grudge-could-cost-u-k-1-7-trillion
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:26:05 pm by wilts rover »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2694 on October 18, 2018, 07:49:04 pm by MachoMadness »

Fair play for coming out and admitting that. If only there were a few more out there with the stones to admit that (and to be honest there might be - most polling shows there are, at least). To be fair though the EU was never going to make things easy - why would they? You don't fold when you've got a royal flush. However I don't think they've made things any harder for us than it needs to be either - our government has done a perfectly good job of that themselves!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2695 on October 18, 2018, 08:13:14 pm by Donnywolf »
Having said that I still Think the eu are making things as difficult as possible

TBF Filo, it's in their interest. They do want us to stay, and if they can "help" trigger another referendum or even make Maybot cancel Brexit altogether, they will.

... if they did NOT make it difficult / protracted / almost impossible for us to leave "expeditiously" then they feared (I m guessing) that other Nations amongst the "club" of 27 would file for exit as quickly as possible and their whole house would be down like a Pack of Cards

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2696 on October 18, 2018, 08:29:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wolf

You're partly right, but the reality is very simple and not massively Machiavellian.

The EU had systems. Like the Single Market and Customs Union.

When you sign up to them, the same general conditions apply as when you sign up to any club. You get certain benefits, but there's also certain constraints on what you're allowed to do and certain requirements you're expected to meet.

Britain wanted to have freedom to do what it wants, and not to have to do the things that everyone else has to do, but to still get the benefits.

The EU blocked that because if everyone had been given those exceptions then the SM and CU would have ceased to exist. And all the benefits that 450 million people get from them would vanish.

It was bleeding obvious from the start that no rational negotiator from the EU could agree to that. I do not believe that Fox and Johnson and Gove and Farage didn't understand that. But they deliberately mislead voters into thinking that the EU would give us whatever deal we wanted.

Why do you think they did that?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2697 on October 18, 2018, 08:59:54 pm by Filo »
Macron wants France to i troduce Visas for UK citizens visting and living in France, are we negotiating with individual Countries now, or one block?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2698 on October 18, 2018, 10:39:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Macron wants France to i troduce Visas for UK citizens visting and living in France, are we negotiating with individual Countries now, or one block?

How EU member countries handle immigration from non-EU countries (which is what we will be) is entirely up to the country involved, not the EU - so why would we negotiate with the EU about it? Don't believe me? The UK has it's own rules about how non-EU immigration is controlled and has done all the time its been in the EU. The EU has never told the UK how to control non-EU movement of people.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #2699 on October 18, 2018, 10:50:15 pm by foxbat »
at least those old fools who voted leave ( by post ) from their care homes because we are better than the other European countries because ' we won the war ' won't have to bother with getting a visa every time they go on holiday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012