Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:44:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Question  (Read 11039 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Question
« Reply #60 on August 10, 2019, 11:18:50 pm by IDM »
Do we need this big striker signing? Why not save the money and give Sailder the first half of the season to prove himself up top.

Are you Gavin Baldwin ?.

Are you Mark Weaver.?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 10, 2019, 11:21:40 pm by bpoolrover »
Do we need this big striker signing? Why not save the money and give Sailder the first half of the season to prove himself up top.

Did you go today? If you did then I am shocked that you’re asking that question. The result covered up so many deficiencies. Sadlier should play behind a striker, but we don’t have one.

I wasn't there today but was at the Gillingham game. I thought the second half performance vs Gills was encouraging and I think Sailder has the physique to play up top.

The team will take time to gel, i think it's worth giving him the first half of the season.

Trust me, today’s result hid so many inadequacies, most of which stem from the absence of anyone up front. Sadlier works hard there but it’s not his game. I look forward to seeing him playing in his best position and picking up the ball facing goal. Without a proper striker we look miles off a promotion challenging team. It’s embarrassing to even talk of promotion after our performance in the transfer market so far.
Jonathan you say it’s embarrassing to even talk of promotion after our performance in the transfer market so far.
Can i ask you who do you expect us to sign.
Your posts imo have been in the past amongst the best ones on this forum but recently you seem to be unhappy especially with the clubs recruitment.
The recruitment of Deing, Halliday, James, Baptiste, John, Sheaf, Gomes, Ennis & now Taylor looks pretty good to me. We are now just one or two players short of a very good squad. Possibly with those additions an even stronger squad than last season.

the problem is they are mainly unknown, that does not mean they won’t turn out good signings but we lost Rowe wilks and Kane and marquis and Andrew that is 5 damn good players, let’s hope some of the new ones prove as good

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 10, 2019, 11:24:50 pm by sha66y »
Playtime bells about to go, so get rid of ya chewy n straighten ya ties kids

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 10, 2019, 11:38:48 pm by Donny Exile in York »
So we've got people who want the club to produce young assets that can be sold but don't ever want to give kids a try.

There is a difference to giving the kids a chance and quoting two young full backs as centre half and saying we can rely on two young lads who are in the development squad but never played a league game.. not saying we dont blood players.. I could say Csmeron John aswell seen as we haven't seen him play yet.. Fact is we have two centre halves now Baptiste is injured and one Wright whilst quality is injury prone.. no one said dont give kids a chance but dont say right now these kids can cover centre half.. its supremely naive to say they can and throw young lads in too quickly and you risk A losing games of football and B setting their careers and confidence back big time.. no one and certainly not I didn't say if their good enough their old enough but we seem to have alot of naive would be champ / football managers of the computer game variety on here who talk some right nonsense..

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 10, 2019, 11:40:48 pm by sha66y »
So we've got people who want the club to produce young assets that can be sold but don't ever want to give kids a try.

There is a difference to giving the kids a chance and quoting two young full backs as centre half and saying we can rely on two young lads who are in the development squad but never played a league game.. not saying we dont blood players.. I could say Csmeron John aswell seen as we haven't seen him play yet.. Fact is we have two centre halves now Baptiste is injured and one Wright whilst quality is injury prone.. no one said dont give kids a chance but dont say right now these kids can cover centre half.. its supremely naive to say they can and throw young lads in too quickly and you risk A losing games of football and B setting their careers and confidence back big time.. no one and certainly not I didn't say if their good enough their old enough but we seem to have alot of naive would be champ / football managers of the computer game variety on here who talk some right nonsense..

So when do you blood them??

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 10, 2019, 11:47:59 pm by Donny Exile in York »
How about a Carabo cup.game or Footnall league game for a starter.. just an idea?like we have with plenty of young players over the years..  and yes obviously you bring players through like Husband.. if there good enough.. but we have a very inexperienced squad right now.. we need some quality.. the Ilk of Butler, Downing, the potential of the likes of Wright.. that's what we need.. particularly now Baptiste is injured.. and I echo what others have said.. Tom Anderson is developing into a superb no nonsense centre half and Wright is a great defender too.. problem is when they are injured.. we dont have anymore quality in the squad at CB with Bsptiste injured and the Jurys still out with him.. needed a run of games to settle in..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:52:23 pm by Donny Exile in York »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 10, 2019, 11:51:44 pm by RoversAlias »
How did Joe Wright become a first choice defender here? Oh that's right, we put him in the team and gave him a chance despite him barely having any experience. No reason we can't hope for the same from Blaney or McLean.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 10, 2019, 11:52:05 pm by sha66y »
How about a Carabo cup.game or Footnall league game for a starter.. just an idea?like we have with plenty of young players over the years..

Is the intensity the same as a league game, ?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 10, 2019, 11:57:42 pm by Donny Exile in York »
J
How did Joe Wright become a first choice defender here? Oh that's right, we put him in the team and gave him a chance despite him barely having any experience. No reason we can't hope for the same from Blaney or McLean.

Joe Wright had played 25 games for Accrington on loan from Huddersield in the division we had dropped to and played in a team reaching the play offs.. so I rest my case.. he had gained experience and was demonstrating potential when we signed him.. no.pne is saying dont blood youngsters.. but at the right time... plus what some or quite a few on here seem to be completely misunderstanding or forgetting is.. and lord knows why it's such a problem to some.. we have money and resources to spend, the manager and board are looking for new recruits
. If the calibre of Taylor is to go by then good quality recruits.. and DM has said in all areas he is looking and in a recent interview before Baptiste got injured said clearly he is looking for another CB.. so what's the problem.. whether it be a centre forward and not relying on Sadlier as a makeshift forward or relying on a bench included Kwiyoma who we tried twice to let go of.. or if it's a centre back.. the fact is our squad is paper thin right now.. even DM called it a skeleton squad on Radio deedar recently..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:01:39 am by Donny Exile in York »

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 11, 2019, 12:48:45 am by elmsallrover »
I was there today. And we came up against a very ordinary team. We look miles and miles away from a team that can challenge for promotion. We just about hung in there against painfully mediocre opposition. This isn’t a criticism of DM, he has inherited the aftermath of a shambolic summer.

Isn't the second game into the season way too early to make judgements on who's ordinary?

No, Rochdale are a very ordinary team and won’t be anywhere near the promotion shake up.
Gillingham as well

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 11, 2019, 08:04:56 am by Jonathan »

Did you go today? If you did then I am shocked that you’re asking that question. The result covered up so many deficiencies. Sadlier should play behind a striker, but we don’t have one.

I wasn't there today but was at the Gillingham game. I thought the second half performance vs Gills was encouraging and I think Sailder has the physique to play up top.

The team will take time to gel, i think it's worth giving him the first half of the season.

Trust me, today’s result hid so many inadequacies, most of which stem from the absence of anyone up front. Sadlier works hard there but it’s not his game. I look forward to seeing him playing in his best position and picking up the ball facing goal. Without a proper striker we look miles off a promotion challenging team. It’s embarrassing to even talk of promotion after our performance in the transfer market so far.
Jonathan you say it’s embarrassing to even talk of promotion after our performance in the transfer market so far.
Can i ask you who do you expect us to sign.
Your posts imo have been in the past amongst the best ones on this forum but recently you seem to be unhappy especially with the clubs recruitment.
The recruitment of Deing, Halliday, James, Baptiste, John, Sheaf, Gomes, Ennis & now Taylor looks pretty good to me. We are now just one or two players short of a very good squad. Possibly with those additions an even stronger squad than last season.

It’s not so much the quality, but the timing and the subservient way in which we, as a supposed promotion challenger, have allowed ourselves to kick off the season without a permanently contracted striker in the squad. It’s quite unbelievable to align the aim of promotion with the reality of the situation.

I don’t think anyone was surprised to see Marquis depart, and I don’t think anyone can argue with the decision to sell at the price we did, but to do it on the eve of the season and to still not have any kind of replacement is shocking. We are fortunate that Sadlier has had two chances and scored two goals as, without a centre forward, we look feeble as an attacking threat - and we have engineered this position ourselves.

Had we had a striker then, having attended the first two games, I firmly believe we would have six points now. Of course the situation in respect of a promotion challenge is retrievable from here, but my comment relates to where we are now and how we have arrived here. It doesn’t feel remotely proactive.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 11, 2019, 08:18:38 am by Herbert Anchovy »
As I understand it, GM had identified potential replacements for JM once it became apparent he wanted to leave ie after the Charlton game. However these plans, and work that had begun to recruit these players, was scrapped once GM left. Obviously the new manager would want his own replacement and not those who GM wanted. Consequently we about a month behind where we wanted to be. It’s unfortunate but simply down to circumstances resulting from GM leaving.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on August 11, 2019, 08:23:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe a bit harsh to say 'allowed' this to happen.

Had McCann stayed and we found ourselves in this position, I would agree.

Likely that McCann had a list of replacements and that list was the one referred to by GB including Middleton and poss Tom Eaves/Tomey etc, who knows.

He jumped ship, DM comes in and sees the list and decides he doesn't want any of them or, by then they are following McCann anyway.

Had DM already been here, then again, we wouldn't be in this situation. It's the change of manager that's the root of where we are. As S_M reported, DM wants to do it his way and we have to respect that.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 11, 2019, 08:29:20 am by Alan Southstand »
Agree with that DBR, but I would add I believe we are finding it’s not easy acquiring a striker that’s anywhere near JM. Strikers cost, simples. And good ones are wanted by all and sundry.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 11, 2019, 08:44:01 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
DM could be playing this very smart to get the one(s) he wants and is prepared to wait. He's got results from the first two games and perhaps could have been 4 points on the board. We're not that desparate that he needs to go for someone he doesn't really want.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 11, 2019, 08:59:48 am by steve@dcfd »
As I understand it, GM had identified potential replacements for JM once it became apparent he wanted to leave ie after the Charlton game. However these plans, and work that had begun to recruit these players, was scrapped once GM left. Obviously the new manager would want his own replacement and not those who GM wanted. Consequently we about a month behind where we wanted to be. It’s unfortunate but simply down to circumstances resulting from GM leaving.
I believe and it’s my opinion that the replacement went to Hull with GM. Along with possibly two more players off that list. He couldn’t get them in until JM left but he left before JM and they went with him. I find it strange the only player we could get off the list was Gomes before GM left. The list relied on JM leaving and that didn’t happen before GM saw a bigger prize at Hull.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:04:35 am by steve@dcfd »

Graham Hirst

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 11, 2019, 09:11:49 am by Graham Hirst »
Unfortunately we have a minority of supporters that give certain players, manager stick on a regular basis, I wasn't at yesterday's game but understand that Gomes got the usual sarcastic cheer when he came off, FOLKS, we are two games into a long season give the lad some encouragement, you might just find that it helps his confidence better than what you so called supporters are doing

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 11, 2019, 09:14:01 am by DonnyOsmond »

Never. Most people on here expect them to play in the development squad until they're ready, which on the evidence never works. You have to give them first team games to know of they're good enough for the first team, even if that's just bringing them off the bench.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 11, 2019, 09:16:26 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I believe and it’s my opinion that the replacement went to Hull with GM. Along with possibly two more players off that list. He couldn’t get them in until JM left but he left before JM and they went with him. I find it strange the only player we could get off the list was Gomes before GM left. The list relied on JM leaving and that didn’t happen before GM saw a bigger prize at Hull.

Probably. I think Gomes was a low risk development player who wasn't brought in to replace anyone.

I think DM can build his own squad, and as Tyke said, this includes succession planning. If Sheaf develops the same way Whiteman has, then we should get comfortable with the idea he might leave in January or next summer, and use that money to re-invest.

For good succession planning, you need stability and we haven't had that for two seasons.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 11, 2019, 09:20:34 am by steve@dcfd »

Never. Most people on here expect them to play in the development squad until they're ready, which on the evidence never works. You have to give them first team games to know of they're good enough for the first team, even if that's just bringing them off the bench.

DM and his assistant have worked with development players. If they believed that any of our development team were ready for first team action they would be on the bench now. It was said Jones would be second string keeper DM brings in a loan keeper. He also brought in a CH from Wolves when we had two CHs in the development team. He sees them every day and at this moment, while he can window open he’s looking elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:35:44 am by steve@dcfd »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 11, 2019, 09:38:30 am by IDM »

There is no evidence saying that we couldn’t sign players before Marquis left.  GB said there were funds available to back DM when he arrived.

I would expect the club has identified new strikers in the expectation of JM leaving, but there’s no point jumping the gun as they were also trying to get him to stay.  That and the manager change too.

It has also been said repeatedly by DM that he is looking for a striker/strikers. 

We are a few weeks behind simply due to the managerial change..

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:09:42 am by IDM »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 11, 2019, 09:43:31 am by vaya »

Have you actually seen this list Steve, bearing in mind your argument pretty much seems to hinge on this.

Also, if we were reliant on Marquis leaving, how did we manage to sign two full backs at the start of the summer?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 11, 2019, 09:43:50 am by the vicar »
A joke.?

Give me strength.!!

A challenge yes and a disappointment to lose the manager and Marquis how we did, and to be a bit behind the drag curve..

But a joke.??

We've retained only three players that started at Charlton on May 16th

Took Three weeks to appointment a manager that we wanted, so should of just gone out and got him straight away.

Sold our best striker just before the season started

And haven't brought a striker in as yet. Challenging is certainly an understatement

And of course, had we recruited a new manager without following any due process and “just gone out and got him” you wouldn’t be complaining when it all went tits up?

There was nothing to be done about JM going. He wanted to leave and that’s that

But we haven't been proactive and sort his replacement before he left. I said on the night after the Charlton game drinking beers around London bridge that marquis would leave just before the season starts and we would be left napping. And I've been proved right. We are never proactive in the transfer market. It's not good enough, we need to be clever about our business during the early stages of the transfer window
Well done captain hindsight. You’re so clever. I’m sure you’re thrilled to say I told you so. Get a grip.
but he is right we do during in at the last minute, and doing resignings we leave it right to the very end then they are gone 

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 11, 2019, 09:48:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
We need a Director of Football.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 11, 2019, 09:49:30 am by Colin C No.3 »
Realising by the Thursday before the Gillingham game that it didn’t look as though we had time before kick off to get a striker in, I said that given DM’s contacts in the game, his little black book etc., I would be disappointed if we didn’t have at least one ‘proper striker’ in by the time we came to play Rochdale.

Having been at the game yesterday, especially playing in those conditions, we were crying out for someone up front who could hold the ball up, bully their centre backs, link up with Sadlier so he could play with the ball in front of him, or at the very least was able to win a header.

We currently have a side with pace & fitness (although Gomes has yet to do anything that imo warrants him a starting place) but we are desperate for that centre forward. Sadliers 93rd minute equaliser merely, as has been said by another poster, papers over the cracks because I know an ordinary side when I see one & believe me, Rochdale are very ordinary.

Plenty of endeavour from us but I fear it won’t be enough on its own against Fleetwood. If we don’t get some strikers in soon, we’ll all be disappointed.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 11, 2019, 09:53:30 am by the vicar »
It's not jumping the gunbefor JM left as we needed a striker even if he stayed

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 11, 2019, 10:07:11 am by Donny Exile in York »

There is a massive difference between bringing them off the bench gradually and throwing  them in and saying we can rely on them and dont need anymore more defenders or experience to replace what we have lost.. your arguing the toss over nothing..  if you think we can go to January and compete with Wright and Anderson only.. given Baptiste is injured your deluded or probably be the first one moaning or scratching your head when we lose a few and let some goals in playing reserves with no experience.. if we want to compete we need to add to the squad.. what dont you get? What's your problem with that  notion?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 11, 2019, 10:14:15 am by DonnyOsmond »

There is a massive difference between bringing them off the bench gradually and throwing  them in and saying we can rely on them and dont need anymore more defenders or experience to replace what we have lost.. your arguing the toss over nothing..  if you think we can go to January and compete with Wright and Anderson only.. given Baptiste is injured your deluded or probably be the first one moaning or scratching your head when we lose a few and let some goals in playing reserves with no experience.. if we want to compete we need to add to the squad.. what dont you get? What's your problem with that  notion?

You're so aggressive with your posts, it's a bit odd. I did list John and Sheaf in there too, who you seem to have missed off. We have more defenders than last season currently.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 11, 2019, 10:22:06 am by Donny Exile in York »
Cos it's like explaining to the blind or people who have no clue about football that you feel like your banging your head against a brick wall.. I'm sure a good few on here know what I mean.. think about the last time we were in the championship we were desperate for the Januaty transfer window to come .. we were desperate for centre backs.. we had to blood McCullough and Wakefield at the back for 7 or 8 games together.. just like some are suggesting we can do with McClean and Blaney .. we lost 7 out of 8 games conceding 3 goals a game on average.. it was embarrassing and we showed what happens if you dont have a deep enough squad and quality cover in key positions... but still people on here think McClean and Blaney can step in.. just think back to that scenario and time and then think why getting extra quality players in when we have the money available is such a bad idea.. or do we just have wind up merchants posting on here.. suspect people on here cant remember Wakefield and McCullough at the back for 8 games.. to give them benefit of the doubt.. or if they do how can they suggest Blaney and McClean are adequate cover.. maybe if we are like Bury and no resources but we do have and should use them to strengthen.. particularly with injuries arising and a long time till January
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:28:09 am by Donny Exile in York »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 11, 2019, 10:26:22 am by vaya »
Cos it's like explaining to the blind or people who have no clue about football that you feel like your banging your head against a brick wall.. I'm sure a good few on here know what I mean.. think about the last time we were in the championship we were desperate for the Januaty transfer window to come .. we were desperate for centre backs.. we had to blood McCullough and Wakefield at the back for 7 or 8 games together.. just like some are suggesting we can do with McClean and Blaney .. we lost 7 out of 8 games conceding 3 goals a game on average.. it was embarrassing and we showed what happens if you dont have a deep enough squad and quality cover in key positions... but still people on here think McClean and Blaney can step in.. just think back to that scenario and time and then think why getting extra quality players in when we have the money available is such a bad idea.. or do we just have wind up merchants or people with no idea posting on here.

So those who don't share your opinions are blind, clueless and wind up merchants with no idea.

That's undoubtedly going to win people over.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012