Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:31:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Funding the club  (Read 3464 times)

karlos

• Forum Member
Funding the club
« on June 05, 2018, 05:00:21 pm by karlos »
I know this will be a touchy subject for some but I feel well the club have been well looked after by the present board to move this club forward we need to have more funding. So whilst looking for a new manager I feel the club should look fo new investors to either run along side the present board or take over from the present board. Whilst I understand this is not simple I also look at other clubs who have gone out and found backers. I am just not convinced that this board alone can ever progress to bring a sustainable championship club, but credit where credit is due they have done a good job up to now but just like when a manager goes stale and a change of direction is needed, a change could also be good at board level. For me it's either find new backers or remain the same as we are.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:08:32 pm by karlos »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Prez

• VSC Member
Re: Funding the club
« Reply #1 on June 05, 2018, 05:11:27 pm by Prez »
But whos gonna come in? They arnt lining up to takeover or buy into the club are they. For instance JR searched everywhere to bring new investment in, but gave up in the end.

Not many affluent people in Doncaster who could subsidise the club like TB has and the Watson family, therefore you would have to look outside for investment and thats a gamble, a BIG gamble.

Im happy with the current owners who have the Club and town at heart.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 05, 2018, 05:13:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if Louis Tomlinson has considered it?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 05, 2018, 05:21:19 pm by albie »
There is no such thing as investment in a club like Rovers, it is a subsidy...plain and simple!

Like with all business, at the end of the day DRFC needs to wash its own face.

Increase revenue sources, more bums on seats, pay wages that the income justifies.
If that does not let you earn promotion, so be it.

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 05, 2018, 05:26:55 pm by karlos »
A club doesn't have to be funded by local people but if they want to keep the club sustainable and fans want to see progress then funding has got to come from somewhere fans will not keep paying money out to see a club stay the same or drop down a league. attendence a will reflect this comment, again I am not blaming the present board but something needs to change to move forward other clubs have found either new owners or new board members.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 05, 2018, 05:29:13 pm by chrisd_123 »
For me, the funding isn't the issue and I think people jump on the 'lack of ambition' far too quickly.

Even after Dick Watson's unfortunate passing, our board are extremely wealthy. Money isn't really the issue. The issue is people hearing Ferguson spouting off about a budget and as soon as money comes into it people assume we have a poor budget and ultimately blame the board.

From all my time following Rovers, the majority has been under this ownership. I can't really recall a time when the board were extremely open about budgets or set a fixed budget. I know JR used to shout a lot but later on in our rise, it wasn't really his money we were playing with.

My view is that they've never really set high budgets in public anyway but have always topped things up when needed. Look at January for example. Whiteman and the centre halves. Went for Billy Sharp when they got the right deal etc. they've a track record of dipping into their pockets if it's right.

I guess Ferguson's issue is that he's never worked with someone like Terry Brammall who is clearly quite reserved and quiet. He's used to the guy at Peterborough who mouths off on Twitter etc and uses the club for his own PR half the time. Brammall is a business man and a successful one at that. If they don't think Ferguson deserved the budget he was asking for them that's fine with me.

They've always backed managers and I was a fan of Ferguson but can also see why they may have been wary of blowing too much with a manager who hadn't yet taken us higher than he joined us.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 05, 2018, 05:31:45 pm by GazLaz »
Fergie will have had nothing to do with TB. He would have been dealing with Baldwin and Blunt.

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 05, 2018, 05:35:17 pm by karlos »
Whilst I accept your point of view and that's what this site is about people discussing issues, how can you back your comments up just like I can't back mine. But to get to the championship it is quite obvious we need to bring top players in as we are competing with clubs like Sunderland who have parachute payments.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 05, 2018, 05:35:55 pm by PDX_Rover »
Other clubs have gone for it. Some have succeeded and sustained it (very few), some have achieved it and then come crashing back down with massive problems, some have failed and been left with massive problems. I would much rather we build solidly. We have a good squad right now. A few quality additions here and there, and a manager who doesn't run out of steam 3/4 way though every season and has a plan C, D and E and can actually motivate... looking forwards, not backwards.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 05, 2018, 05:38:09 pm by RedJ »
So how much is enough? how much do you keep chucking at it, especially when your manager awards contract extensions then decides he hates the players he's given them to

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 05, 2018, 05:57:51 pm by karlos »
Redj so what is your alternative would you keep chucking mine at a car if it kept breaking down or would you invest in new technoligy

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 05, 2018, 07:00:00 pm by RedJ »
Definitely said I don't think we should bring in new players. Definitely said not to spend money on the team.

Oh, wait...

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 05, 2018, 08:53:20 pm by Cantley Rover »
But whos gonna come in? They arnt lining up to takeover or buy into the club are they. For instance JR searched everywhere to bring new investment in, but gave up in the end.

Not many affluent people in Doncaster who could subsidise the club like TB has and the Watson family, therefore you would have to look outside for investment and thats a gamble, a BIG gamble.

Im happy with the current owners who have the Club and town at heart.

Who do you think it was who brought TB and Dick Watson to DRFC? Or do you think they just turned up one morning and said. "Hey we would like to be directors?"

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 06, 2018, 01:03:27 am by Prez »
Cantley I know full well JR brought them in, the point im making is whos left in Doncaster who is interested in taking over? Now of course you don't have to have local people running the club, but again as I say JR tried worldwide but couldn't attract investment. So am as far im aware nobody is interested in taking over, so we remain with the status quo.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 06, 2018, 07:06:54 am by rtid88 »
At some point within the next 5/10 years when the current board get sick of hearing the same 'No Ambition', 'Don't care about the fans' drivel they will up and off and I think we will be taken over by some form of Chinese Consortium like the Dingles.

I will be sat here waiting listening to the moans of those same people when they complain about those owners not being local men, not caring about the community, only in it for the money etc....

We should feel proud and incredibly lucky that we have the board that we have, that leave the manager to do his job, contribute millions of their own money every year and expect nothing in return.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 06, 2018, 10:29:41 am by Bezza »
you are spot on rtid, be happy with what we have it could be a lot worse.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 06, 2018, 10:41:29 am by Cantley Rover »
Cantley I know full well JR brought them in, the point im making is whos left in Doncaster who is interested in taking over? Now of course you don't have to have local people running the club, but again as I say JR tried worldwide but couldn't attract investment. So am as far im aware nobody is interested in taking over, so we remain with the status quo.

JR tried worldwide to attract investment??? How do you know this?
Who's left in Doncaster to take over the running of the club?? We don't know do we. Why would anyone come forward now? What might happen in the future? Neither you nor I or any of the many brown nosers on this forum know

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 06, 2018, 10:58:01 am by vaya »

Who's left in Doncaster to take over the running of the club?? We don't know do we. Why would anyone come forward now? What might happen in the future? Neither you nor I or any of the many brown nosers on this forum know

Belize isn't particularly local.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 06, 2018, 11:02:26 am by RedJ »

Not surprised nobody wants to come forward if they see the way people talk about the people who currently put actual millions of their own fortune into the club.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 06, 2018, 11:10:48 am by roverstillidie91 »
What I don't understand is that for fans who believe the board should be throwing more money in when obviously the attendances don't rise significantly.

Has anyone actually taken the time to consider it is actually their money and what they do with this is their choice?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 06, 2018, 05:18:12 pm by scawsby steve »
The richest man in Doncaster, and one of the richest men in England, is Lord Kirkham. I don't know if it's true, but several people have told me that in the past, both the Rovers and the Dons have approached him about funding, and he's declined because he's not interested in sport. As a miner's son, you'd think he'd want to put something back into the community where he's made his billion pound fortune.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 06, 2018, 05:21:39 pm by Prez »
That is true Steve, Graham has no interest in football.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 06, 2018, 05:31:49 pm by Cramby10 »
A club doesn't have to be funded by local people but if they want to keep the club sustainable and fans want to see progress then funding has got to come from somewhere fans will not keep paying money out to see a club stay the same or drop down a league. attendence a will reflect this comment, again I am not blaming the present board but something needs to change to move forward other clubs have found either new owners or new board members.
if “the fans won’t keep paying out” how and why the bloody hell do you expect someone else to come in and do so. It’s a two way street in my eyes. Fully understand some people are not as wealthy as others but it’s strange they manage to find some spare cash to watch when we’re doing well.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 06, 2018, 05:40:39 pm by steve@dcfd »
It’s not about throwing money at it, emotive, but they have supposedly set the goal of top six for the manager. So the funds he has to use should allow him to achieve that goal. There might be more now so they don’t fail in the clubs objective and prove DF right.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 06, 2018, 05:47:40 pm by Filo »
It’s not about throwing money at it, emotive, but they have supposedly set the goal of top six for the manager. So the funds he has to use should allow him to achieve that goal. There might be more now so they don’t fail in the clubs objective and prove DF right.

Or there might not be more and achieve the objective, proving DF wrong

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 06, 2018, 06:38:29 pm by steve@dcfd »

We will never know

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 06, 2018, 06:40:03 pm by RoversAlias »
The richest man in Doncaster, and one of the richest men in England, is Lord Kirkham. I don't know if it's true, but several people have told me that in the past, both the Rovers and the Dons have approached him about funding, and he's declined because he's not interested in sport. As a miner's son, you'd think he'd want to put something back into the community where he's made his billion pound fortune.

That's one way of looking at it, sure. But he's his own man with his own money. If I was rich to the tune of millions of pounds, I'd absolutely want to get involved in Rovers but then I've been going to watch them since I was a child and I love football, and all sport. But not everyone is. If the big thing in Donny was Skateboarding and someone came to me (this is if I was rich still) asking to invest because it'd be good for the community, I'd politely decline because I've no interest in skateboarding.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 06, 2018, 07:08:41 pm by Filo »

We will never know

True, but I thought a bit of balance to your post was in order

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 06, 2018, 07:20:01 pm by steve@dcfd »

We will never know

True, but I thought a bit of balance to your post was in order
I appreciate your thought

TinyPortal © 2005-2012