Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:06:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Years Eve vs Watford - A few Questions?  (Read 2536 times)

WFCfan123

New Years Eve vs Watford - A few Questions?
« on December 28, 2011, 01:03:20 pm by WFCfan123 »
Hello Donny fans,

I am a Watford fan, visiting your forum on behalf of www.wfcforums.com , whereby I write match previews ahead of fixtures. It is of particular interest to many fans to have a section regarding some of the views of the opposition fans prior to the game, which is the purpose of this visit.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you would be able to spare a minute or two of your time and answer a few brief questions - about 4/5 selections of answers will be published in the Match Preview. As I say, answers only neeed to be brief, and it'd be fantastic if you could.

The questions are as follows:

1) What do you make of Doncaster’s performance in the Championship so far this campaign?

2) Given we’re now past the half-way stage of the season, what are your end of season expectations come May?

3) Doncaster’s transfer policy this season has been one of great discussion amongst some fans in the Championship, with players such as Chris Kirkland coming and going. What impact has this had on the side’s performances, but most importantly what do you make of it as Doncaster fans?

4) If you add one of Watford’s squad to the Doncaster side, who would it be, and why?

5) Who do you consider to be Rovers’ Key Player so far this season, and why?

6) And finally, what do you predict the final score will be on New Year’s Eve?

As I say, some answers would be greatly appreciated, and i'll return and publish the link to the preview here if anyone is interested in having a read. All that remains is to wish you guys good luck for the rest of the season, but not too much of it on Saturday! You're a good Championship side, and deserve to stay here longer - but I for one don't think the transfer policy is going to \"Help\" in the long run.

Thanks again.

WFCfan123
x

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: New Years Eve vs Watford - A few Questions?
« Reply #1 on December 28, 2011, 01:05:51 pm by Filo »
Is Watford Annie still selling Leo Fortune West branded thimbles? :P

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 28, 2011, 01:19:34 pm by benaldo »
1) Crap at the start, getting slowly less crap. Someone soon is in for a tonking though.

2) Just outside the relegation zone is probably a fair end to the season.

3) It's the only way the club is going to survive. Small crowds, low income, a bunch of disillusioned crap players at the start of the season. In many ways it's just too good to be true. A lot of fans don't like it, but whatever anyone tells you Rovers have some quality players..and in Diouf and Sharp, easily the best attacking two in the league.

4) To be honest, I don't think anyone from Watfords squad would get in Rovers starting 11 in two weeks. That's not biased nonsense, it's probably fact.

5) For me it's Diouf or Beye. Diouf is a class player, far too good for this league. Beye is probably the best defender I've ever seen at Rovers in years and years. He's solid and makes few errors. In a leaky defence he's almost single handedly shored up the wall.

6) Hard to say. Someone soon is going to get tonked by us! If it isn't you then it's coming soon. I think we'll have some new faces in on Saturday, and they'll do nothing but good, plus Chimbonda is probably going to start, you lot aren't setting any scoring records, so I predict a 2-1 or 3-1 win for Rovers.

MartinB

« Reply #3 on December 28, 2011, 05:10:42 pm by MartinB »
1) What do you make of Doncaster’s performance in the Championship so far this campaign?

Very poor, side in transition though.

2) Given we’re now past the half-way stage of the season, what are your end of season expectations come May?

Survival.

3) Doncaster’s transfer policy this season has been one of great discussion amongst some fans in the Championship, with players such as Chris Kirkland coming and going. What impact has this had on the side’s performances, but most importantly what do you make of it as Doncaster fans?

It's OK for short term, time to invest in local youth though!

4) If you add one of Watford’s squad to the Doncaster side, who would it be, and why?

Scott Loach...good keeper, which we dont have.

Billy Sharp so far; his goals have been vital.

Watford 0 Doncaster 2 (Sharp & Diouff)

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 28, 2011, 05:14:09 pm by madmick50 »

1) It's been poor and we deserve to be in the bottom 3. We've had too many injuries and changes to the side which has been making it hard to gain any consistency. Our new manager has been finding his feet and is still struggling.

2) Relegation

3) The new policy is a complete joke and will ensure we get relegated. Team spirit has suffered and putting out a different side every week leads to a lack of consistency.

4) I'd have your goalkeeper because ours are not good enough for this league.

5) Billy Sharp. No question. If it wasn't for him we'd already be dead and buried. His goal to chance ratio is exceptional. Unfortunately for us it looks like he'll be gone soon because he seems to be getting frustrated with the low number of chances we are creating as a team.

6) 2-0 to Watford.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 28, 2011, 05:30:53 pm by Northants Nomad »
Quote from: \"madmick50\" post=206461

1) It's been poor and we deserve to be in the bottom 3. We've had too many injuries and changes to the side which has been making it hard to gain any consistency. Our new manager has been finding his feet and is still struggling.

2) Relegation

3) The new policy is a complete joke and will ensure we get relegated. Team spirit has suffered and putting out a different side every week leads to a lack of consistency.

5) Billy Sharp. No question. If it wasn't for him we'd already be dead and buried. His goal to chance ratio is exceptional. Unfortunately for us it looks like he'll be gone soon because he seems to be getting frustrated with the low number of chances we are creating as a team.

6) 2-0 to Watford.

Thanks Mick, I feel so much happier now!

Honestly, the cheery outlook in a MadMick post is akin to watching the Eastenders Omnibus.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 28, 2011, 05:35:07 pm by Donnywolf »
4) Scott Loach without a doubt because if we ever had a 1-0 lead with 60 minutes left he would need only 3 or 4 Goal Kicks or Free Kicks to close out the game for a WIN !

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 28, 2011, 05:36:06 pm by madmick50 »
Thanks Mick, I feel so much happier now!

Just saying it as it is. In my posts I use my head while most of the others use their heart.

VikingJames

« Reply #8 on December 28, 2011, 06:12:56 pm by VikingJames »
Started off without a hope. We have improved in the past couple of months, but there's still a lot of work to do. But considering that after 7 games we looked down and out, I'd say we've done well to get to the stage we're at now.

I expect us to keep improving, and hopefully that will lead to survival. Ideally you don't want to end up 4th from bottom like we were last year, but I think we'd take that now.

I think the influx of new faces has been a positive thing, on the whole. One or two of them aren't as good as their careers suggest, but we're certainly a better team for having people like Diouf, Beye, Ikeme and Goulon around than we were before. Quite a few fans get all precious over the club's 'reputation' and 'image,' but the fact of the matter is, we're in a desperate situation. Staying in the Championship is important to the club, and we have to pull out all the stops to do so. If that means making wholesale changes to the team, then so be it, as the current bunch were taking us down, and I was sick of watching us lose every week seemingly without doing anything about it.

Definitely Scott Loach. We're desperate for a solid Championship goalkeeper. Ikeme has been brilliant but is only on a temporary loan (and is now injured) so we're desperate for a 'keeper. Sullivan has been brilliant for us down the years, but is past it, and Gary Woods either isn't ready or just isn't good enough, depending on interpretation.

Billy Sharp. His goals and all-round contribution to the team and the club are massive. If we can keep him for the rest of the season, we'll increase our chances of staying up.

We're not doing very well away, and you seem fairly strong at Vicarage Road, so I'd definitely settle for a point. You've beat some decent teams on your patch though, so I think it'll be difficult for us. I wouldn't be surprised if Watford edged it by the odd goal.

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm by keepmoatman »
Quote from: \"WFCfan123\" post=206397
Hello Donny fans,

I am a Watford fan, visiting your forum on behalf of www.wfcforums.com , whereby I write match previews ahead of fixtures. It is of particular interest to many fans to have a section regarding some of the views of the opposition fans prior to the game, which is the purpose of this visit.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you would be able to spare a minute or two of your time and answer a few brief questions - about 4/5 selections of answers will be published in the Match Preview. As I say, answers only neeed to be brief, and it'd be fantastic if you could.

As I say, some answers would be greatly appreciated, and i'll return and publish the link to the preview here if anyone is interested in having a read. All that remains is to wish you guys good luck for the rest of the season, but not too much of it on Saturday! You're a good Championship side, and deserve to stay here longer - but I for one don't think the transfer policy is going to \"Help\" in the long run.

Thanks again.

WFCfan123
x

Welcome Blakey  had a good christmas ?:thumbdown:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 28, 2011, 06:51:47 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"WFCfan123\" post=206397
Hello Donny fans,

Thanks again.

WFCfan123
x

1. Started poorly but were affected by injuries to key players. Now doing a little better but no consistency- we can't string two wins together and haven't for a long time.

2. My expectation before the season was that we'd be relegated because the Board wasn't prepared to fund the signings we needed. They've tried to find a solution to that (see below) but I've yet to see any evidence it will provide us with the consistency we need. 4th from bottom will be a major achievement.

3. The transfer policy is a gamble but it is probably one that was worth taking, given that money wasn't made available to rebuild after finishing 21st last season. The thing is that you can't expect to hang on to players for any length of time and although some of the new men have played well, the better they perform the more likely they are to move on. As I've said, I'll judge it at the end of the season.

4. I like Loach, although as an opposing fan his time-wasting does grate somewhat. Sordell is also a very promising striker, although I thought Watford's best player at the KMS this season was Kightly- who is on loan from Wolves.

5. Billy Sharp is key because he has the priceless ability to score goals. I don't think we'll be able to hang onto him, but if we do it will increase our chances of staying up. Brian Stock (suspended for the Watford game) is another excellent player, whose value will probably only be appreciated after he's gone.

6. They're usually draws- the last three meetings at Vicarage Road have been and I saw the last two. But Rovers owe me something for the 6-0 defeat I witnessed back there in 1978. Rovers to win 2-1 with Sharp and Diouf scoring.

WFCfan123

« Reply #11 on December 28, 2011, 11:48:41 pm by WFCfan123 »
Hello again all,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. The preview has now been published, and due to time constraints, I won't be editing it any more. I've tried to use most of the responses provided here, but if you're interested in having a look, then the Preview can be found at:

-> http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?40704-31-12-11-WFC-Vs-Doncaster-Poll-Preview-Discussion-amp-Reaction

Feel free to come over for a bit of banter at www.wfcforums.com around Saturday's game if you wish - you're always more than welcome - Good luck on Saturday (But not too much), and for the rest of the season.

Cheers,
WFCfan123
x

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 28, 2011, 11:50:17 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"madmick50\" post=206461

2) Relegation

6) 2-0 to Watford.

The old team spirit debacle, it's obvious you don't attend games, we've made hardly any changes in last 5 matches ya clown. The new policy is giving us a chance we were nailed on for relegation before it begun, now we're a victory from safety rather than 3 victories away! A 2-0 defeat and relegation is what madmick is praying for but neither will happen I'm afraid!!

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 29, 2011, 12:07:18 am by donnyroversfc »
Boring and rubbish

I expect us to play about 50 different players. Lose most of the games, be relegated and Dean Saunders to sound very enthusiastic in radio and TV interviews.

I find it shocking and feel it'll destroy our club, But thats ok though to some fans because its meant we've been able to sign the incredible, world class El-Hadji Diouf (he was in Pele's top 100 players you know).

Adrian Marriapa, because hes class! Be surprised if hes still at watfor after the summer.

Billy Sharp without a doubt.

You'll either batter us 3 or 4-0 or we'll scrap a boring 0-0 draw.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 29, 2011, 12:29:11 am by dickos1 »
Let's not bother turning up shall we. Call yourselves fans. Expect to get relegated, expect to lose, season has been boring and rubbish.
Why do you bother going games?

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 29, 2011, 02:03:42 am by ditch_drfc »
I don't think I'll ever understand why opinion has become so polarised on the new strategy.

On one side we've got Benaldo, who can't see no wrong with it. McKay is a genius and Diouf and Sharp are the two best players in this league. Now even with my Rovers bias, that's just not true. Take off the shades mate.

Then on the other side, we've got madmick. For him, there's everything wrong with the strategy. In fact, there couldn't ever be anything right with it! Even if we win games! Even if we have 100 shots on target each match!

It really does my head in to read comments by people who are so stubborn, they'll cut their noses to spite their faces. The transfer policy has many good points, but it also has bad ones.

This forum would be much better as a whole if people weren't so extreme in their views.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 29, 2011, 02:07:06 am by ditch_drfc »
Also,

WFCfan123 It's a bit sloppy to include sentences in your preview like:

\"Doncaster appear to have a relatively strong, injury free, squad to select from...\"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012