Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:58:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Injury jinx  (Read 2559 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Injury jinx
« on August 20, 2014, 09:56:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You have to feel for Dickov. I assumed that after last season's injury apocalypse that we would have more luck this year. Looks like I was too optimistic.

Last year was ridiculous. No player made more than 38 league starts. There were long-term (12 matches or more) injuries to Jones, McCombe, Husband, Turnbull, Khumalo, Wabarra, Forrester and medium-term (6 matches or more) to Wellens, Brown, Robinson, Macheda, Keegan and Tamas.

All first-choice players. All missing for significant sections. Some struggled when they were rushed back too quickly.

This season, after 4 matches we've already got Main out for 10 or so games, Jones probably with his career finished and McCombe out for maybe half a dozen games. M

Is it ever going to change?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Injury jinx
« Reply #1 on August 20, 2014, 10:08:26 pm by Dagenham Rover »
When the pitch is totally ripped up and started again, by what I've been told there is still no "give" in it at all its rock solid

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 20, 2014, 10:12:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yeah but that doesn't explain Jones's neck, Wellens's foot, McCombe's nose, Wabarra's foot, Husband's shoulder, Khumalo's knee, Forrester's everything.

We have had dreadful bad luck with impact injuries.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 20, 2014, 10:14:14 pm by the vicar »
it has happened several times before and it will happen this season to, that is why the youth policy is lunacy at this stage, you cant do it all in one go like the directors want or we will struggle and could go down

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 20, 2014, 10:16:09 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Just running on it sends shockwaves through the body

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 20, 2014, 10:49:50 pm by Boomstick »
Thought our injury situation was miles worse under SOD in that last championship season under him

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 20, 2014, 10:56:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There is a cure. Mal Purchase. Mind you, he took over from Doctor Death the physio. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 20, 2014, 10:59:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It was bad for a couple of months in 10/11. Dickov's problem has been that the injuries have just come on a continual basis. So every time he's got a team sorted, the heart has been ripped out.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 20, 2014, 11:00:30 pm by pib »
How long does it have to continue before it can no longer be written off as 'bad luck'?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 20, 2014, 11:10:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Did Mal Purchase stop players getting broken bones and dislocated shoulders?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 20, 2014, 11:12:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
pib

I don't know. Do you blame the manager for Jones's neck, Husband's shoulder, Wellens's and Wabarra's foot? McCombe's nose? What about Khumalo's knee, 4000 miles away? Was Dickov to blame for that one? How about Tamas getting chinned in town? Dickov to blame?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 20, 2014, 11:19:04 pm by pib »
pib

I don't know. Do you blame the manager for Jones's neck, Husband's shoulder, Wellens's and Wabarra's foot? McCombe's nose? What about Khumalo's knee, 4000 miles away? Was Dickov to blame for that one? How about Tamas getting chinned in town? Dickov to blame?

I'm not sure I said Dickov was to blame BST.

I just asked a question. I do think there does come a point where you have to look for answers rather than cursing bad luck though. When that time comes and what the answers will be can only be speculated on.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 20, 2014, 11:28:59 pm by Copps is Magic »
How come Copps has managed to stay fit even though he's played on the keepmoat pitch the most out of any player?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 20, 2014, 11:37:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
How come Copps has managed to stay fit even though he's played on the keepmoat pitch the most out of any player?

He's Magic

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 20, 2014, 11:38:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
pib

If it's not bad luck, then someone must have committed an error. Simple logic. So if you question whether it's bad luck, you need to have an alternative explanation.

To me, it's straightforward. We've had more serious impact injuries in the last 12.5 months than I can ever remember. To me, that's simply bad luck. Statistically, you will get unlucky runs of injury and lucky ones. Saunders/Flynn had few. Penney had few. They were lucky. Dickov seems to be having a very unlucky run. As I said, I feel for the man. He's shown an ability to craft decent sides. But every time he's done it, a key player has broken his neck or foot, or ruptured his knee ligaments, or dislocated an elbow.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Injuries
« Reply #15 on August 20, 2014, 11:47:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No BST,Mal couldn't prevent the so called impact injuries. He used to make 'em play! Seriously though, we all saw the niggles dry up and it showed the pitch was not to blame. The threat of being sent to Mal's house of horrors made them think twice about reporting in with minor injuries.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 20, 2014, 11:49:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Baz

Point is though, we haven't had niggle injuries in abundance since Dr Death left.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 20, 2014, 11:53:58 pm by pib »
pib

If it's not bad luck, then someone must have committed an error. Simple logic. So if you question whether it's bad luck, you need to have an alternative explanation.

To me, it's straightforward. We've had more serious impact injuries in the last 12.5 months than I can ever remember. To me, that's simply bad luck. Statistically, you will get unlucky runs of injury and lucky ones. Saunders/Flynn had few. Penney had few. They were lucky. Dickov seems to be having a very unlucky run. As I said, I feel for the man. He's shown an ability to craft decent sides. But every time he's done it, a key player has broken his neck or foot, or ruptured his knee ligaments, or dislocated an elbow.

I don't NEED to have an alternative explanation. I'm just asking a question. I wouldn't do so if I had all the answers, would I? It seems like you think I'm implying I know the reason for our injuries. I don't. But, as I said in the first place, I do wonder how long it has to go on before it is looked into rather than just writing it off. 2 years? 5 years? How long do runs of 'bad luck' in football last?

Bad luck or human error? They're the only two options? Not sure I agree with that. Although if 'to you, it's straightforward' and 'to you, it's bad luck', it seems like your mind is already made up, so I'm probably putting my question to the wrong person.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 21, 2014, 05:53:18 am by GazLaz »
I don't understand why every footballer isn't in this condition. The extra strength around joints would help prevent injury.

Donnylass

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 21, 2014, 08:10:30 am by Donnylass »
I don't understand why every footballer isn't in this condition. The extra strength around joints would help prevent injury.

I agree Gaz. I think it was the fitness that Mal instilled in the players that prevented injuries.
You've only got to look at Billy Sharp, when he left us the first time round, after being at another club he lost weight and gained muscle. (Yes, I know this was under Mal - but it seems they can always get fitter)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 21, 2014, 08:24:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Would it stop them breaking bones in their foot, nose and neck?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 21, 2014, 08:45:10 am by GazLaz »
We were extremely lucky when Mal was here. That's a fact. AC Milan have the greatest medical facility in football and they still get injuries. Mal having the lads doing a bit of boot camp work didn't eclipse Milan. People over rate the man and have bought in to the DS bullshit machine again.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 21, 2014, 09:04:46 am by RoversDave »
When the pitch is totally ripped up and started again, by what I've been told there is still no "give" in it at all its rock solid

Rock solid.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 21, 2014, 09:31:33 am by Filo »
Thats BV isn't it?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 21, 2014, 09:58:12 am by RedJ »
Aye, you can see the red barrier at the front.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 21, 2014, 09:58:22 am by Al4475 »
I reckon that's RD's point Filo

TinyPortal © 2005-2012