Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:10:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: York City  (Read 2531 times)

Prez

• VSC Member
York City
« on November 21, 2018, 04:08:18 pm by Prez »
Interesting to see that in another thread about Rovers rivals, well when i started watching Rovers early 80s as a kid it was York.

Now they sit in 17th position in National League North (same div as Chorley) with still no end in site to a turn around in fortunes. Not as if they have plunged into financial trouble either, just a real badly run football club in the last decade.

Mate of mine at the game last night who is a Rovers fan but reports on York city, said if rovers can do that to Chorley they would murder York.

Sad times for the minstermen.

And some of our fans think we have it bad!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: York City
« Reply #1 on November 21, 2018, 07:27:18 pm by RoversAlias »
My dad has always held a particular hatred for York City, and it's always baffled me a bit so I usually take the piss. He's been going since 1980 so maybe that explains it.

I think the only time we played York during my time as a supporter was in 2003/04, I was at Bootham Crescent for our trip there but I think we lost. We also beat them on penalties in a Saturday League Cup game a few years ago at the Keepmoat I believe.

It is alarming how quickly they've slid down the pyramid.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 21, 2018, 07:38:19 pm by turnbull for england »
Didn't we relegate them when we went up? Shades of our demise with a lot of youngsters in the tean

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 21, 2018, 08:01:21 pm by The Red Baron »
Didn't we relegate them when we went up? Shades of our demise with a lot of youngsters in the tean

We did, but they came up and then went down again.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 21, 2018, 08:09:34 pm by roversontheup »
My partner is a lifelong York City season ticket holder and still travels to away games to support them. It's very sad what's happening and I really don't understand the problem. To be fair to them their supporters have stuck with them and their home gates and away following is fantastic.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 21, 2018, 08:45:34 pm by albie »
Last season at Bootham before moving to a new home out on the edge of the city;
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/york-city-and-the-city-of-york-to-benefit-from-monks-cross-saga-1-9419298

They will be looking to start the recovery once in the new stadium next year.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 21, 2018, 09:18:01 pm by drfchound »
My dad has always held a particular hatred for York City, and it's always baffled me a bit so I usually take the piss. He's been going since 1980 so maybe that explains it.

I think the only time we played York during my time as a supporter was in 2003/04, I was at Bootham Crescent for our trip there but I think we lost. We also beat them on penalties in a Saturday League Cup game a few years ago at the Keepmoat I believe.

We have played them three times since that 2004 game RA.
There was that League Cup game you mentioned in 2012.
There was another league cup game at York in 2014 when Forrester scored late on for us to win 1-0
And then that JPT match in the pouring rain also away which we lost 2-0.
I was at all of them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 21, 2018, 09:47:30 pm by RedJ »
That last one was a f**king nightmare. Got soaked to the skin, train ticket got soaked and so did the money in my pocket and on top of that the game was f**king woeful.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 21, 2018, 09:51:09 pm by drfchound »
That last one was a f**king nightmare. Got soaked to the skin, train ticket got soaked and so did the money in my pocket and on top of that the game was f**king woeful.

Did you stay to the end RJ.
Me and my mate did, (maybe that should be my friend and I) behind the goal too with no shelter.
I had decent waterproofs on and even they couldn’t keep the rain out.
At least half of our supporters had left before half time.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 21, 2018, 10:04:06 pm by RedJ »

Did you stay to the end RJ.
Me and my mate did, (maybe that should be my friend and I) behind the goal too with no shelter.
I had decent waterproofs on and even they couldn’t keep the rain out.
At least half of our supporters had left before half time.

I did, don't think I've ever walked out of a game early apart from that Armthorpe friendly when it pissed it down in the first half. (not trying to come across as a superfan, just don't see the point paying what can be quite a bit of money to not see an entire game!)

I do quite like their ground in that it's got a bit of character but Christ is it a shit tip or what. Especially the toilets.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 21, 2018, 10:08:57 pm by drfchound »
The only game I ever left before the end was a Notts Forest v Ipswich game that I went to with a mate of mine who is a Forest fan.
Five minutes before the end he said “come on then, we are off”.
I protested but we had gone in his car so I had to go.

Too many goals are scored in the last minutes of a game.

I can never understand how people can go at 85 minutes when a game can still go either way.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 21, 2018, 10:11:26 pm by RedJ »
Me neither. I understand some have to get off for work or some other personal commitment but just to beat a bit of traffic? or going down at 35 or even before for a pint and not coming back out until the hour mark.

I mean fair enough if that's how you want to spend your time and money but I can think of better, cheaper places to get pissed than at football.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 22, 2018, 11:49:31 am by RoversAlias »

We have played them three times since that 2004 game RA.
There was that League Cup game you mentioned in 2012.
There was another league cup game at York in 2014 when Forrester scored late on for us to win 1-0
And then that JPT match in the pouring rain also away which we lost 2-0.
I was at all of them.

Thank you Hound, I expect I don't remember those other two games because they were midweek away ties and as such I wouldn't have gone.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 22, 2018, 11:54:31 am by IDM »
I remember the two games vs York in the 83/84 promotion season for both clubs.. they got over 100 points and we were second, but they didn’t beat us.!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 22, 2018, 02:22:17 pm by Axholme Lion »
The only game I ever left before the end was a Notts Forest v Ipswich game that I went to with a mate of mine who is a Forest fan.
Five minutes before the end he said “come on then, we are off”.
I protested but we had gone in his car so I had to go.

Too many goals are scored in the last minutes of a game.

I can never understand how people can go at 85 minutes when a game can still go either way.

Yes. We were all taking the p out of Norwich the other week as they left the ground losing 3-2 in the 92nd minute.
We lost 4-3!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012