Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:03:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FFS  (Read 3781 times)

philsky

• Forum Member
FFS
« on October 29, 2011, 07:59:19 pm by philsky »
Everyone

Im getting totally hacked off with so many random and uninformed posts.

FFS - get a grip.

A team that went \"under\" several years ago, had no players, virtually no fans, a corrupt owner and no hope is today experiencing a period of challenge yet, we're in Division 2 of the football pyramid.

Bloody hell, lets try something barmy like sticking together, supporting the team, the manager, the board and the entire backroom staff.

Get a feckin life.

Try going 12 months without seeing a win. Thats me.

I'm there today, having travelled from London, cheering the lads on and willing them to win.

Dean has come in and has my support; he has a lot to do and is doing his best to reverse an alarming slide and with limited resource.

RTID

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
Re: FFS
« Reply #1 on October 29, 2011, 08:07:57 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Hear hear,

:rtid:

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 29, 2011, 08:09:40 pm by drfc1951 »
Well said, to many so called supporters are just hoping that we get relegated to say we told so.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 29, 2011, 08:17:49 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"drfc1951\" post=195243
Well said, to many so called supporters are just hoping that we get relegated to say we told so.

In my opinion I think it is exactly the opposite, too many supporters are wondering how we are not going to get relegated! Nothing gets people united like a run of good results, even if we do have to listen to Wellred saying I told you so, but where is the next win going to come from - and unfortunately that creates negativity. A lot of the 'issues/rumours' we are 'discussing' would have been ignored or downplayed if we were top of the league.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 29, 2011, 08:20:22 pm by normal rules »
I think you will find fellow rovers supporter that there are about 7-8k who are currently going to km win lose or draw currently. Of those about 1500 were there through the dark days. So there will be 6k ish who have got used to success over the last 10 - hence the current levels of discord.

Try and take some comfort in the fact that we have a good core of supporters who are here for good for the short to mid term. As my dad says - and he has been a Rover for over 50 years - we are and have always been a small club. As far as league position goes historically we have reached a peak similar to the flirting with the old league two rovers did some years ago (when there were the old 4 divisions). And for those that remember we know what comes next.

Ups and downs, chickens and feathers, swings and roundabouts - call it what you will. The important thing for me is going to support your local club - no matter what level of achievement - and the comfort that brings us as individuals/groups/families/friends.

Those that are \"Rovers Till They Die\" will of course understand. And i count you as one Philsky!
As they say at FC Barcelona \"Mas que un club\"

As far as experiments with loan players goes though - welll thats another conversation altogether..................

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 29, 2011, 08:31:05 pm by philsky »
NR

I hear you.

Like many others on here, albeit probably the minority now, the 70's, 80's and 90's (bar the odd year or two) was pretty shite !

Speak to Dagenham, Bob and others like us....TRUST ME, its been REALLY REALLY crap in the past.

Try 6-0 away @ Halifax.

RTID

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 29, 2011, 08:36:38 pm by redwine »
or being, was it, 4 nil down to Halifax at home within the first fifteen minutes

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 29, 2011, 09:07:58 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Halifax that was posh try Gravesend,  Welling, Sutton,  
well said Phil and sorry to have missed you today

sorry on my phone and its crap for this

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 29, 2011, 09:16:23 pm by philsky »
The San Siro - Welling - complete with man and dog in crowd - now, thats when things were bag.

1-1 draw i think.

RTID

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 29, 2011, 09:32:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Morecambe, three years into the Conference Experience. A week after mi fatha had corked it. 500 and summat there - f**king gash game, lost 1-2. Realised that we were going to be shite the following year an all.

Some of the bell ends on here haven't got the first idea...

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 29, 2011, 09:45:33 pm by BigH »
2-2 at Forest Green under Wignall. That's a hilltop in Gloucestershire by the way. Came from behind twice. Carl Awful played like the Sunday League player he was. Attendance 900.

djoftherovers1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 29, 2011, 09:58:53 pm by djoftherovers1 »
I remember a win over ossett town in fa cup qualifying rounds a glen kirkland winner i think... rope around the boundary too lol .. we have come soooo far since then,  lets realise we have actually been watching one of the most successful teams around in the last 6 or 7 years. 3 promotions a wembley and millennium victory aswell .. not bad for a pub team

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 29, 2011, 10:07:42 pm by RedJ »
I remember when I thought of Morcambe and Chester as strong sides..

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 29, 2011, 10:33:44 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Quote from: \"BigH\" post=195278
2-2 at Forest Green under Wignall.
That's a hilltop in Gloucestershire by the way. Came from behind twice.
Carl Awful played like the Sunday League player he was. Attendance 900.

Doe's anyone remember an article in one of the papers  regarding the first time we played Forest Green,

I think the comment on DROS was something along the line  of we'll go to London and stuff 'em

The response on the Forest Green site was \"if they go to London we'll have the 3 points for not turning up
as we are in Gloustershire\" (or where ever)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 29, 2011, 11:03:21 pm by Capmeister »
Unfortunately, Rovers are the shitest they've been for years. Today was appalling. Two dreadful sides who will be relegated come April. What really pisses me off is all the hard work gone through to play football the right way has been unpicked virtually overnight. And who do I blame for all this.............the fickle Donny public. Can't be arsed to support their local team and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Get out while you can JR cos this set of ungrateful f**kers deserve everything they get. There was a time when people were proud of where they came from, now it seems they are happy to chant ur just a town full of Leeds fans or similar at fellow Doncastrians. Pathetic. Donny will find their level but sadly it wont be Championship. Bring on the Boro. At least let's go down fighting. Sick of this money driven league anyway. Rovers 'til I die!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 30, 2011, 12:13:31 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"philsky\" post=195240
Everyone

Im getting totally hacked off with so many random and uninformed posts.

FFS - get a grip.

A team that went \"under\" several years ago, had no players, virtually no fans, a corrupt owner and no hope is today experiencing a period of challenge yet, we're in Division 2 of the football pyramid.

Bloody hell, lets try something barmy like sticking together, supporting the team, the manager, the board and the entire backroom staff.

Get a feckin life.

Try going 12 months without seeing a win. Thats me.

I'm there today, having travelled from London, cheering the lads on and willing them to win.

Dean has come in and has my support; he has a lot to do and is doing his best to reverse an alarming slide and with limited resource.

RTID

Post of the year Sir!

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 30, 2011, 01:11:34 pm by southwestexile »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=195282
I remember when I thought of Morcambe and Chester as strong sides..

jeezus yes, that semi against Chester was like the Phoenix rising

a while before that, on the way down, 7-1 at Ninnian Park anyone?

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 30, 2011, 01:20:32 pm by roversontheup »
I was taken to my first match as a five year old in 1961 and have supporting my team since, albeit with breaks due to my own sporting involvements.

I really appreciate all that JR and others have done for Rovers and have enjoyed much of the football in recent years  However, the higher up the leagues we have gone, the less it has felt like MY club.

Personally, and I am sure I am in the minority here, I have absolutely no desire to be in the Premiership and in truth don't really want to be in the Championship. For me, it's about feeling I belong to the Rovers family.  I don't feel that anymore. Perhaps I am dreaming about a time we can no longer return to.  If so, then I am very sad.

I feel sorry for JR and he has my backing for what he is trying to do because he believes it is for all the right reasons.  I just dont share the same dreams anymore.  Success comes at a huge cost and I just don't think it is worth it.  Having Premiership quality players in our team may be appealing to some but for me it just isn't what my club is all about.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 07, 2011, 09:44:14 pm by Capmeister »
Quote from: \"philsky\" post=195251
NR

I hear you.

Like many others on here, albeit probably the minority now, the 70's, 80's and 90's (bar the odd year or two) was pretty shite !

Speak to Dagenham, Bob and others like us....TRUST ME, its been REALLY REALLY crap in the past.

Try 6-0 away @ Halifax.

RTID

Rovers in the mid 70's by any chance? I was only little then. Cried me peepers out. Made an indelible impression on me. Whilst I accept ur point I think it's fair to say the vast majority of our current support are too young, didnt suffer 4th Div dross and quite frankly, don't care. Sorry, but it's not really relevant sadly.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 07, 2011, 10:16:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Anyone remember the Stalybridge away game, where it absolutely chucked it down and we lost 1-0 to a side 21st in the league? Of course many of us will!

Even more importantly...that was us on the way UP from our lowest point! People forget far too easily sometimes.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 07, 2011, 10:28:16 pm by RobTheRover »
In amongst all the pap over those times were some absolute corkers too.

Southend away in the FA cup, our rivalry with Rushden and Cubic Zirconium, Chester, et al.   Peter Heritage and Mike Jeffrey sticking 2 fingers up at Newcastle and KK.

To appreciate the highs you have to experience the lows.  Is where we are now a low?  Is it buggery.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 07, 2011, 11:42:13 pm by Capmeister »
Remember the Wing Commander scoring an absolute belter at Barnet. Ref had blown for time though. Poor bas**rd. That want fair ;o)

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 08, 2011, 12:01:17 am by Pintolager »
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=197638
Anyone remember the Stalybridge away game, where it absolutely chucked it down and we lost 1-0 to a side 21st in the league? Of course many of us will!

Even more importantly...that was us on the way UP from our lowest point! People forget far too easily sometimes.

I certainly do remember that match RA, as I was there on that Easter Bank Holiday monday and it was a horrible day weatherwise. Stalybridge did the double over us too that season :( a nice pub next to the ground though ;)

Heritage scored a screamer against Chesterfield which I think we won 1-0. About my only memory really of that guy.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 08, 2011, 07:44:37 am by donnybez »
Northwich Victoria. My first game we lost 1-0 and played like garbage. I seem to recall I went regularly just to attempt to see them win one... Ahh 00-01.....I also remember my excitement at Justin Jackson. Young and misguided I was...

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 08, 2011, 01:12:56 pm by turnbull for england »
Hill top ? that implies its flat and level - remember the chairman selling half time draw tickets  next to a poster imploring local fans to come see them play stars of donny ( Snods, Tommy Wright etc).
This goes back to older arguments, not that its any new fans fault you can can only watch what youve seen, but then technology allows them a platform for their daft views - you could have daft views on Kev Rogans bus while you were still learning  but you were likley to end up abandoned at a services or sat on by 'fatman' or crazy col
- its like coming up from the shop floor for those that have seen 70's 80s etc, when you have truly seen it and done it  you really appreciate that in our present company yes weve been struggling but the worst ever etc ???  time to get sat on at back of a dodgy leon bus back from a night game loss at Torquay for some posters

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 08, 2011, 01:21:17 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"turnbull for england\" post=197716
Hill top ? that implies its flat and level - remember the chairman selling half time draw tickets  next to a poster imploring local fans to come see them play stars of donny ( Snods, Tommy Wright etc).
This goes back to older arguments, not that its any new fans fault you can can only watch what youve seen, but then technology allows them a platform for their daft views - you could have daft views on Kev Rogans bus while you were still learning  but you were likley to end up abandoned at a services or sat on by 'fatman' or crazy col
- its like coming up from the shop floor for those that have seen 70's 80s etc, when you have truly seen it and done it  you really appreciate that in our present company yes weve been struggling but the worst ever etc ???  time to get sat on at back of a dodgy leon bus back from a night game loss at Torquay for some posters

Or a Yorkshire Traction Bus from Southern Bus Station ;)

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 08, 2011, 07:19:34 pm by benaldo »
Like I said on another thread. I honestly believe there are a section of fans who genuinely miss those days. Personally my first ever Rovers game was the infamous match against Colchester. I loved the climb back and that last season in the conference was my first one a a season ticket holder.
While I loved large parts of watching Rovers back then - Crumbling old belle vue, the humour, the way the crowd had developed over the years, the burgers - I much prefer the increased skill involved on the pitch now, the drama of watching mostly decent standard football in a proper stadium, the premier lounge, decent food and drink, bogs that don't have life undiscovered by modern science living in them, a car park without craters, seeing players interviews in the club lounge, getting to know a whole new set of people, and over it all...the sniff of a chance that a spot in the best league in Europe is an outside chance for a team who I watched fielding perhaps the fattest goalkeeper to have ever played professional football!

I know some people prefer the \"old days\", are resistant to change, set in their ways, but these people are holding the club back. What adverts they must be to all and sundry floating supporters who have the displeasure to hear them moaning about how SOD was killed from the waterdale library, that Mackay is a character from the Omen, and it's a mess now Rovers have started winning football games?!

I miss parts of the old days too, but you either move on with the club or you end up going round in circles pissing everyone off who hears you ranting all the time. It's a good time to be a Rovers fan right now. :clapping:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012