Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:38:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: stability or success  (Read 8790 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: stability or success
« Reply #30 on November 04, 2014, 01:36:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think PD has made some shrewd signings in his time here, although he's made one or two bad ones, which is understandable with a restricted budget. You don't need me to tell you that even Sir Alex and co have paid top notch money out for top notch players who have ended up playing shite. Of course money doesn't always buy success, but with the right bloke doing the buying, the odds are that it should.

In that respect I believe PD has a good eye for good players, and if he's given the cash required he will get us back up again.

That's why I'm still backing him.

Over to TB/DW.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on November 04, 2014, 01:49:09 pm by IDM »
I think we only need a slight upturn in form, or a continuation of the last 2 games to be in the top half of the table after Christmas.  I also think we are good enough now (assuming we keep/extend Wabara, Butler, Johnstone) to stay above 12th place.

If we want to advance further this season, then yes I agree a bit of extra will help...

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 04, 2014, 04:09:34 pm by bfdoncaster west »
why not buy Wabara, Butler, Johnstone) to stay above 12th place.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 04, 2014, 04:32:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
They might not want to come here permanently.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 04, 2014, 04:49:24 pm by Al4475 »
A little of both would be great, and personally I think we're on the right lines. Could do with the owners being a little more public from time to time, the players showing their class (which in the main is way better than average for this league) and the manager finding consistency within the performances he coaxes out of his players and the coaching staff doing their bit! It's on the way in my eyes! A few minor tweaks across the board here and there, and as a club I think we'll only get stronger!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 04, 2014, 07:46:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
 :that:

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 04, 2014, 08:18:13 pm by Muttley »
Stability should never be sacrificed for a gamble with a slim chance of success.

I want a club that will be here, in whatever division, for future generations of Doncastrians to support and get the same pleasure that I do from watching Doncaster Rovers (OK, maybe a little mor pleasure would be nice!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 04, 2014, 08:24:56 pm by Wellred »
Stability should never be sacrificed for a gamble with a slim chance of success.

I want a club that will be here, in whatever division, for future generations of Doncastrians to support and get the same pleasure that I do from watching Doncaster Rovers (OK, maybe a little mor pleasure would be nice!)

I don't get it.
You want to support a football team but you never want to gamble?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 04, 2014, 08:33:28 pm by Muttley »

I don't get it.

That's not what I said.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 04, 2014, 08:39:30 pm by Wellred »

I don't get it.

That's not what I said.

So what does your opening sentence mean?

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 04, 2014, 08:51:23 pm by bfdoncaster west »
ho wood you get in owners

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on November 04, 2014, 09:09:29 pm by IDM »

I don't get it.

That's not what I said.

I think the key phrase to look for is "slim chance of success"...

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 04, 2014, 09:19:44 pm by Wellred »

I don't get it.

That's not what I said.

I think the key phrase to look for is "slim chance of success"...

How do you gauge success?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on November 04, 2014, 09:28:45 pm by IDM »
Everyone has their own ideas, of what is acceptable risk for the rewards on offer.  There is no correct answer.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 04, 2014, 09:38:58 pm by bpoolrover »
Your right idm,I have said on another post I would like to see us gamble a little maybe a extra 500k but that's easy to do with other peoples money

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on November 04, 2014, 09:40:51 pm by Mr1Croft »
Since when did stability and success become polar opposites?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 04, 2014, 10:09:19 pm by albie »
I agree Mr Croft.

Surely any club which is not stable cannot be seen as a success?
Stability is the backstop against which success on the pitch, which is always relative, can be judged.

I don't see the point of rehashing the same argument under a new thread is, unless to wind people up. This has been done to death on here.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 04, 2014, 10:40:00 pm by BobG »
Yes chaps. What's the two common factors betweeen Man Utd this last 20 years and Liverpool in the 70's and early 80's? Yep. Got it in one. Massive stability and massive success.

BobG

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 04, 2014, 11:12:37 pm by bpoolrover »
Sorry for sounding thick bob I don't get your post lol who had stability?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on November 04, 2014, 11:28:04 pm by hoolahoop »
You can't educate pork.

The question is though Stu :- which side of the argument has the pork that can't be educated, you leave us guessing ?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on November 04, 2014, 11:28:57 pm by BobG »
Lol. I meant those 2 clubs had huge long periods of stability where suddenly nothing happened  to upset the running of the club. And both were hugely succesful.

It's not neccesarily cause and effect, but in the spirit of the thread, I couldn't resist. :)

bobG

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 04, 2014, 11:31:25 pm by Dagenham Rover »
You can't educate pork.

The question is though Stu :- which side of the argument has the pork that can't be educated, you leave us guessing ?

Yer can't educate it but you can eat it  :whistle:

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 05, 2014, 12:33:00 am by bpoolrover »
Ah thanks for the reply bob

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 05, 2014, 07:54:18 am by Wellred »
Yes chaps. What's the two common factors betweeen Man Utd this last 20 years and Liverpool in the 70's and early 80's? Yep. Got it in one. Massive stability and massive success.

BobG

Do you really think Manchester United are a stable club?
Millions in debt and hardly sustainable are they?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on November 05, 2014, 08:05:44 am by Wild Rover »
Lol. I meant those 2 clubs had huge long periods of stability where suddenly nothing happened  to upset the running of the club. And both were hugely succesful.

It's not neccesarily cause and effect, but in the spirit of the thread, I couldn't resist. :)

bobG

Both teams had BIG investment too. As have Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Possibly the only "Big" premiership club with Moderate to small investment is Everton, yes they have stability, but where is the success. I think its fair to say that INVESTMENT has as big a part in success of any club as stability. Whilst investment alone will not make a club successful, neither will stability.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 05, 2014, 08:07:13 am by IDM »
Wellred until the Glazers took over and mortgage MUFC up uo the hilt to fund the purchase, how much debt were they in?  And where's their success now?

How stable are QPR?  If they get relegated there may be big trouble because thew blew FFP out of the water to get promoted - they either need to pay their multimillion fine or could face expulsion from the league?  Neither sustainable nor particularly successful eh?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on November 05, 2014, 09:31:39 am by Glyn_Wigley »

BobG

Do you really think Manchester United are a stable club?
Millions in debt and hardly sustainable are they?

That's because someone bought them without using his own money...

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 05, 2014, 10:02:50 am by acko »
man unt might be in debt but the assets should see that its never a problem the sponser ship alone is worth millions and what would selling the name old trafford stadium be worth

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on November 05, 2014, 12:37:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
They say never gamble more than you can afford to lose.

With many of the clubs mentioned it's the banks who own the clubs and when they get to a stage when they can't service the debt, then that's when the doo doo hits the fan.

Tony Fernandez at QPR is showing signs of crumbling. His F1 team has gone on to administration. I suspect they could be in trouble very shortly. Very often it's not the owners personal wealth at stake, it's the club shouldering the burden of the loans.

Cellino saying today he can't get a mortgage to buy back Elland Road. Paper asking why he needs a bank when he's worth X£million. I guess he wants to stay a multi millionaire.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on November 06, 2014, 11:50:49 pm by BobG »
Don't they teach reading in schools nowadays?

And Wellred :)  You do it on purpose don't you? Extract 3 or 4 words, out of context, from a rational and reasonable sentence and make out like it's b*llocks. Read what I wrote. It explains the answer to the idiotic point you made.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012