Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:13:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pre season assessment?  (Read 3123 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Pre season assessment?
« on September 04, 2020, 05:30:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Made more difficult without being able to see any games in the flesh but on what we have seen, I've got to say I'm pleased and am optimistic for the season ahead.

Perhaps given this time last season with DM new to the hot seat, even more so albeit we still have Ben in the ranks.

DM looks like a man in control and seems happy enough with his recruitment so far. Obviously he has the advantage of knowing who else is yet to come.

Providing Butt's is offered a contract, I still think we need another goalscorer. A finisher. Not necessarily someone who chips in, but a regular scorer who can challenge Fejiri for top goalscorer. From January we had Sadlier, Fejiri, Ennis and Ramsey who were all finishers until we were robbed of showing our full potential. I hope Lokilo, Richards, Taylor make up some of that contribution but we'll need more on top of those who chip in.

Looks like we need cover at right back but other than the above, bring it on.

I'm keenly waiting for the date when we can get in the Keepmoat and will get my season ticket at that point.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we'll make the top 6 this time round.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Pre season assessment?
« Reply #1 on September 04, 2020, 05:35:29 pm by Chris the Rover »
I agree about finishing in the top 6 and I’m an eternal pessimist. Looking forward to this season.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 04, 2020, 06:01:22 pm by elmsallrover »
Love to get Ramsey back for the season

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 04, 2020, 06:07:11 pm by drfchound »
DBR, that is a good assessment and one that I agree with.
As you say, bring it on.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 04, 2020, 06:20:29 pm by sha66y »
Portsmouth , Sunderland Ipswich, Oxford and Peterborough all fell short,
Hull,Charlton and Wigan have come down and tasted the Championship
Plymouth,Crewe Swindon and Northampton came up with momentum..

.....top 6 looks a bloody daunting task , but I’ll accept a top 8 now...with a big dollop of hope that we sail under the radar and surprise a few...

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 04, 2020, 06:29:25 pm by Magicman »
I'm hoping for top 6 but we have a decent pre season and we normally struggle, I hope this season is different to other seasons

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 04, 2020, 06:33:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Love to get Ramsey back for the season

Even being the optimist, I said previously no chance. Said the same about Cameron John. Wtf do I know!?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 04, 2020, 06:36:12 pm by EasyforDennis »
We have got the best Manager in the division and I see no reason why we shouldn't make the top 6!!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 04, 2020, 06:54:35 pm by Al4475 »
EFD - that is a point that everyone needs to appreciate imo! Anything is possible with DM steering the ship - he appears to have the pull for players, fully understands the makeup of the club and town and backs the Club Doncaster idea (at least publically) to the hilt.

Add to that he comes across as a driven yet thoroughly nice bloke, a good coach and a good man manager and the makings are there!

Good be a very promising season ahead.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 04, 2020, 07:14:30 pm by graingrover »
I agree with all this positivism about our chances and believe DM is the perfect man for this era .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 04, 2020, 09:09:36 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm hoping for top 6 but we have a decent pre season and we normally struggle, I hope this season is different to other seasons

If that theory's right mate, then that 0-5 at Rotherham should push us up a few places.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 04, 2020, 09:43:52 pm by Campsall rover »
Quietly optimistic.
Will be making my revised league table prediction a week today.

Ready for the big kick off. Just hope we can be in the ground very soon to see what i think will be an exciting team to watch this season.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 04, 2020, 10:52:25 pm by Retdon1 »
If we can get another 4 players in, including a striker and forward/winger of the same quality as Ennis and Sadlier, then we have a good chance of top 6. If not it’s a season around 10th-14th. League 1 looks a lot stronger than it did last season

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 04, 2020, 10:56:06 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If we can get another 4 players in, including a striker and forward/winger of the same quality as Ennis and Sadlier, then we have a good chance of top 6. If not it’s a season around 10th-14th. League 1 looks a lot stronger than it did last season

Does it? Sunderland, Oxford, Ipswich and Peterborough are all weaker. Fleetwood slightly too. Portsmouth are about the same. Only team that look to have strengthened are Blackpool. Then of the teams coming down Hull are only ones likely to challenge, Charlton? Who knows?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 05, 2020, 02:07:55 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Does it? Sunderland, Oxford, Ipswich and Peterborough are all weaker. Fleetwood slightly too. Portsmouth are about the same. Only team that look to have strengthened are Blackpool. Then of the teams coming down Hull are only ones likely to challenge, Charlton? Who knows?

Portsmouth fans are in meltdown at the moment. A good proportion are convinced Jacket can't low them out of a paper bag and can't believe how inactive they're been in the transfer market.

Sunderland fans believe they will miss out yet again being a weaker squad than last season.

A mounting number of Ipswich fans want rid of Lambert due to being tactically inept.

Hull fans don't give a shit anymore.

Posh fans will believe this is their year, this is their year, this is their year....

I think those of us who make less noise will succeed. Blackpool, Oxford, Rovers, Gillingham with a sneaky feeling for Swindon to do well too.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 05, 2020, 02:34:02 am by godlike1 »
Well who thought Wrexham would win the playoffs?

We defo have a good team spirit its clear that DM generates that.

Can they dig in and win ugly when needed? Mmmmmmm not so sure, that is where I think experience is needed and we lack that in the squad.

I think its short on depth too but thats not a reason to write us off. I think top 10 with some screwed sugnings inc experience would see us push top 8 -6

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 05, 2020, 02:41:02 am by stuey »
From what I've seen i think the team is more than capable of challenging for top 6. Unfortunately I don't think the squad is. Keeping Whiteman is a massive and important task. The new players look good  and Taylor looks to have found his mojo again. As others have said another striker is important, and I think we need a bit more bite in midfield. But I'm going into the new season feeling quite optimistic.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 05, 2020, 07:33:19 am by Campsall rover »

Can they dig in and win ugly when needed? Mmmmmmm not so sure, that is where I think experience is needed and we lack that in the squad.

I think its short on depth too but thats not a reason to write us off. I think top 10 with some screwed sugnings inc experience would see us push top 8 -6
I assume you mean Wycombe not Wrexham.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 05, 2020, 08:48:07 am by the vicar »

If that theory's right mate, then that 0-5 at Rotherham should push us up a few places.
i agree Steve but in general it was a very good pre season

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 05, 2020, 09:32:42 am by drfchound »
The thing to remember too though boys is that other teams besides us will not have finished their recruitment yet.
We don’t know who we are bringing in so fans of the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth will be in the same boat.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 05, 2020, 10:46:16 am by steve@dcfd »
According to the latest Free Press article we are long way from being finished with our recruitment.
DM wants to add more numbers, with quality which will add more depth and versatility to the squad. He would like the majority in before the season starts.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 05, 2020, 11:36:47 am by EasyforDennis »
According to the latest Free Press article we are long way from being finished with our recruitment.
DM wants to add more numbers, with quality which will add more depth and versatility to the squad. He would like the majority in before the season starts.

He is in a tricky situation at the moment. IF or more likely WHEN Whiteman goes we don't want to be left with no cover for his position.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 05, 2020, 11:46:35 am by Campsall rover »

He is in a tricky situation at the moment. IF or more likely WHEN Whiteman goes we don't want to be left with no cover for his position.
More IF for me than WHEN at the moment.  I am optimistic that we will get at least the 1st half of the season with Whiteman. If we can keep him all season and we go up then every chance he will wish to stay anyway. Yes it’s all a BIG IF of course.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 05, 2020, 12:37:39 pm by godlike1 »

Ha yep my mistake

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 05, 2020, 12:44:22 pm by drfchound »

Ha yep my mistake

......and the screwed signings? (Sugnings)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 05, 2020, 12:49:36 pm by Retdon1 »
What’s odds on Ennis and Ramsey being the two attacking loan players coming in

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 05, 2020, 01:29:37 pm by Frankie Rennie »

Agree with that Donny, forget Wigan and Hull both really struggling and broke. Sunderland will sink with Parkinson’s negativity and Posh have lost their best striker. Charlton may be a worry but none of those coming up are really that good. I think this could be your year especially with DM in charge who I rate highly. Anyway good luck for the season where I think top 6 is nailed on for you.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 05, 2020, 01:47:15 pm by RoversAlias »

Someone already asked Mr. Hoden if one was Ennis and he said "not at this time".

Be amazing if we got him on a similar deal to John, should Wolves deem him surplus to requirements over the next few weeks.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 05, 2020, 02:17:56 pm by Campsall rover »

Agree with that Donny, forget Wigan and Hull both really struggling and broke. Sunderland will sink with Parkinson’s negativity and Posh have lost their best striker. Charlton may be a worry but none of those coming up are really that good. I think this could be your year especially with DM in charge who I rate highly. Anyway good luck for the season where I think top 6 is nailed on for you.
Thanks for that Frankie. 
No one more optimistic than me but “ nailed on” is not how i see it.  ;)
It looks a wide open league 1 this season. If we can bring in the missing links we need then i will fancy a top 6 place definitely.
We could even go up automatically. But “nailed on“ well i love your positivity.  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 02:28:19 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 05, 2020, 02:21:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Someone already asked Mr. Hoden if one was Ennis and he said "not at this time".

Be amazing if we got him on a similar deal to John, should Wolves deem him surplus to requirements over the next few weeks.

They're about to sign Fabio Silva from Porto for nearly £40m so who knows? :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012