Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:55:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Offside  (Read 1801 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Offside
« on October 17, 2021, 09:10:06 pm by ravenrover »
OK help on this one Since when was coming back from an offside position and joining in with play not been given as offside?
Spurs at Newcastle, Kane yards offside runs back to get just onside defenders don't know he's there then runs onto a through ball and ends up scoring, why was it not disallowed?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Offside
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2021, 09:22:03 pm by drfchound »
I haven’t seen this mate but isn’t a player offside when he is in an offside position when the ball is played, not if he is in an offside position before the ball is played to him.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 17, 2021, 09:54:29 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
You can be offside and drop back onside just before the ball is played that's not a problem. Good centre forward play rather than standing in front of all the defenders getting marked all game, just need to have a knack for timing it

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 18, 2021, 08:12:20 am by GazLaz »
He was clearly onside. Don’t see the issue.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 18, 2021, 08:57:55 am by selby »
 Raven is right that you used not to be able to get back on side from a offside position during a move forward, I don't know if that has changed, it is often given on the half way line when a keeper kicks out of his hands with a signal from the lino by waving his arm above his head back and forth who mystically  sees a keeper kick the ball and a player 60 yards up the field at the same time  but do not give it further up the field near the box the same lino's.
  Now most teams don't have defenders on the line for corners, the corner taker often plays short and then receives the ball back all coming from and offside position being the most forward player very rarely given but I have seen it occasionally.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 18, 2021, 09:11:42 am by donnievic »
Aslong as he is onside when ball is played it’s ok

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 18, 2021, 09:12:06 am by ravenrover »
He was clearly onside. Don’t see the issue.
You haven't read my post then, that is not the question

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 18, 2021, 10:42:49 am by DonnyOsmond »
It's only offside when the offside player is active in play. He only becomes active in play when the pass is made and at that point he is in line with the RB.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 18, 2021, 11:36:48 am by ravenrover »
Agreed, so obviouslythe coming back from an offside position no longer applies. Lets wait and see if it is applied at our level

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 18, 2021, 11:58:48 am by GazLaz »
Agreed, so obviouslythe coming back from an offside position no longer applies. Lets wait and see if it is applied at our level

If the ball is passed to you you are either offside or you are not. That’s been the case forever.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 18, 2021, 12:02:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Brian Clough Quote: “If any one of my players isn't interfering with play, they're not getting paid.”

I see his point there. I think the rules are a bit silly with the not interfering with play rule. A player who runs from an off-side position into an on-side one IS interfering with play if only tactically.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 18, 2021, 12:40:08 pm by Pancho Regan »
Brian Clough Quote: “If any one of my players isn't interfering with play, they're not getting paid.”

I see his point there. I think the rules are a bit silly with the not interfering with play rule. A player who runs from an off-side position into an on-side one IS interfering with play if only tactically.

Agreed BB.
I've never liked the 'not interfering with play' rule. It just adds yet another 'grey area' into the equation.
They should have kept it as simple as possible.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 18, 2021, 01:08:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I agree Pancho, The offside rule should be as simple as possible. It is impossible to judge all the time anyway because the lino has to have one eye on the forward players and another on the player who kicks the ball forward. If the player kicking the ball forward is far away from the recipient(s), the lino has to have eyes like Marty Feldman to see both areas of the pitch simultaneously.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 18, 2021, 04:39:24 pm by Campsall rover »
The off side rule is a joke.

It is more complex than rocket science nowadays. 

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 18, 2021, 06:24:41 pm by turnbull for england »
I can't think what game it was this weekend  but an own goal was scored with defender turning into his own  net while cutting a cross out , the forward was behind him and offside , but it was counted as he wasn't interfering . If he wasn't there , he could have taken a touch so must have been interfering.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 18, 2021, 07:15:40 pm by danumdon »
I'd go a step further and say what is the use of the offside rule today?

Totally ruins the game as a defender now cannot set himself with an attacker who is standing behind him and ready to run back onside before the ball is delivered, if this is not affecting play or the organisation of the back line then i don't know what is.

I'd like to se them do away with offside completely, the rule is now so vague and the level of officials we have each week are guaranteed to cock it up on a regular basis. If the rule is removed the play would be spread out over the whole length of the pitch, you would have goal poachers who would need marking thus marking space available in the middle of the pitch, this would reward and allow more creative buildup and allow small technical sides to compete against the big, ugly lump it up and see where that gets you sides(looking at you Rotherham)

Of course you may also just get a slug fest with the ball being kicked from one end to the other with Peter Crouch like players being worth their weight in soggy footballs, we can but dream.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 18, 2021, 07:25:02 pm by BVB »
I can't think what game it was this weekend  but an own goal was scored with defender turning into his own  net while cutting a cross out , the forward was behind him and offside , but it was counted as he wasn't interfering . If he wasn't there , he could have taken a touch so must have been interfering.

…and would the defender have attempted to cut out the pass if that forward hadn’t been there….? So by being present - whether offside or not - the forward would be directly interfering with play.
Offside rule:how to overcomplicate what should be a very simple concept.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 18, 2021, 10:51:44 pm by donnievic »
The offside law is quiete easy to understand it’s down to the officials most of the time as to whether the player is interfering or not,but like has been said if the attacker is close enough or the ball is going towards then then for me they are interfering

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 19, 2021, 07:54:09 am by Pancho Regan »
I'd go a step further and say what is the use of the offside rule today?

Totally ruins the game as a defender now cannot set himself with an attacker who is standing behind him and ready to run back onside before the ball is delivered, if this is not affecting play or the organisation of the back line then i don't know what is.

I'd like to se them do away with offside completely, the rule is now so vague and the level of officials we have each week are guaranteed to cock it up on a regular basis. If the rule is removed the play would be spread out over the whole length of the pitch, you would have goal poachers who would need marking thus marking space available in the middle of the pitch, this would reward and allow more creative buildup and allow small technical sides to compete against the big, ugly lump it up and see where that gets you sides(looking at you Rotherham)

Of course you may also just get a slug fest with the ball being kicked from one end to the other with Peter Crouch like players being worth their weight in soggy footballs, we can but dream.

That's a radical suggestion danumdon, but with the way the current rule is being applied it's not such a daft idea.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012