Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:08:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Odds to make the playoffs  (Read 4563 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Odds to make the playoffs
« Reply #30 on February 20, 2020, 07:22:09 pm by scawsby steve »
Completely agree, Sha66y but you do realise it will mean we aren't proper supporters.

Who on here has said that?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 20, 2020, 07:32:30 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Been said whenever anyone voices similar opinion.  Go look if you believe I'm wrong.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 20, 2020, 07:45:04 pm by scawsby steve »
Been said whenever anyone voices similar opinion.  Go look if you believe I'm wrong.

Look where? You're the one making the accusation. Where does it say that people of a different opinion aren't proper supporters?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 21, 2020, 04:10:10 pm by sha66y »
We are a squad in formation and have the best prospects of attaining a solid platform by next season to achieve promotion and sustain our Championship status.Darren has not only a coaching formula but a socio cultural and motivational ethic that attracts the young and hungry who may be deprived of the Premiership dream but who with him can play and achieve the best of themselves with him and DRGC .

Completely agree, and to be honest I don’t want us in the play offs....

( I know I’m on my own in this thought)

Why don't you want us in the play-offs?

Because we might be lucky enough to fluke it ..... and I don’t think we are anywhere close to being ready for the next level.....I fear we would be the recipients of some serious good hidings by all but a handful of championship teams......I would prefer to see Donny getting stronger in this division were the occasional error wont be punished to what the Championship teams would do...

This is just my opinion and I have maintained it since the season started...

It’s not that I don’t want success, I just feel this team is not the one that will get us there .....

Do you seriously think that if we go up the board won't give Darren a Championship budget? Or that Darren won't sign Championship players? Can't you remember the players we signed last time we were in the Championship? Turnbull, Khumalo, Wellens, Sharp, Meite, Tamas, Neill.

With players like that, Dickov should have p*ssed safety.

Can you define a “ Championship budget” ...... I thought there was an algorithm for clubs budgets based on revenue the club generates...maybe I’m wrong, but to the main point...

No I don’t think Darren will have enough time to sign the right players to not only compete, but to keep us up...we are weak by championship standards, and I can honestly see nobody in our current team that won’t get found out rather quickly.....( shock horror gasp!)

Please don’t list the qualities of the current squad.... I know we have certain players that can do the occasional great if not sublime thing....

But the next level moved on since we last enjoyed our time their....and the gulf is exactly that.......a huge gulf in both finance and ability...

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 21, 2020, 04:21:26 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I'd take another win but ultimately ending in defeat at whoever it may be tbh.

Charlton was brilliant.

Great night.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 21, 2020, 04:23:08 pm by scawsby steve »
We are a squad in formation and have the best prospects of attaining a solid platform by next season to achieve promotion and sustain our Championship status.Darren has not only a coaching formula but a socio cultural and motivational ethic that attracts the young and hungry who may be deprived of the Premiership dream but who with him can play and achieve the best of themselves with him and DRGC .

Because we might be lucky enough to fluke it ..... and I don’t think we are anywhere close to being ready for the next level.....I fear we would be the recipients of some serious good hidings by all but a handful of championship teams......I would prefer to see Donny getting stronger in this division were the occasional error wont be punished to what the Championship teams would do...

It’s not that I don’t want success, I just feel this team is not the one that will get us there .....

Do you seriously think that if we go up the board won't give Darren a Championship budget? Or that Darren won't sign Championship players? Can't you remember the players we signed last time we were in the Championship? Turnbull, Khumalo, Wellens, Sharp, Meite, Tamas, Neill.

Can you define a “ Championship budget” ...... I thought there was an algorithm for clubs budgets based on revenue the club generates...maybe I’m wrong, but to the main point...

No I don’t think Darren will have enough time to sign the right players to not only compete, but to keep us up...we are weak by championship standards, and I can honestly see nobody in our current team that won’t get found out rather quickly.....( shock horror gasp!)

Please don’t list the qualities of the current squad.... I know we have certain players that can do the occasional great if not sublime thing....

But the next level moved on since we last enjoyed our time their....and the gulf is exactly that.......a huge gulf in both finance and ability...

Some good valid points in there. However, why do you think that the situation next season will be any different as regards getting out of this league, and competing in the Championship the season after?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 21, 2020, 05:05:22 pm by sha66y »

Some good valid points in there. However, why do you think that the situation next season will be any different as regards getting out of this league, and competing in the Championship the season after?

To be honest....I don’t, not really !
I don’t think we have the real finances to get out of this league for quite a while yet....however!!!

the players we have this season should be stronger as a unit and have a little more nouse about them...we may even pick up one or two of the current loanees....so that could be a big positive

I also feel DM was handicapped by time restraints when he arrived, so took the best that was available on short notice.....and they have been a bit of a mixed bag ....

.DM should now have a better idea of what is required to make a push for the summit and be able to bring in not only physically stronger but better technical players than this time....

but even that will prove difficult I’m sure...

We have sorely missed a big hairy assed no nonsense midfielder who knows how to intimidate and physically compete at a his level....

But time will tell as they say....

Remember the more you hope.....the greater the doubt!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:10:04 pm by sha66y »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 21, 2020, 05:05:35 pm by Campsall rover »
There is no point in competing if you don’t have the ambition to get promoted.
I thought that was the whole point of having a league pyramid with promotion and relegation.
We can worry about staying in the next league once we have achieved it.
Next season or the season after we may be a bit stronger and better prepared for the next level but when you get the opportunity to go up whenever it comes then you must try and take it.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 21, 2020, 05:12:42 pm by sha66y »
I thought that was the whole point of having a league pyramid with promotion and relegation.
Next season or the season after we may be a bit stronger and better prepared for the next level but when you get the opportunity to go up whenever it comes then you must try and take it.

That’s just a soundbite that applies to everything....the reality is that we don’t have the team just yet.....

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 21, 2020, 05:25:11 pm by Campsall rover »

That’s just a soundbite that applies to everything....the reality is that we don’t have the team just yet.....
You never actually know whether you have a good enough team until you have played in the championship.
Look at 2008/09 we were bottom with 18 points from 24 matches going into that Boxing Day match with Forest and looked dead and buried. We then went on a run of games which if the season had started on 26th Dec we would have finished 2nd in the league. Our final position was 14th but only because we couldn’t score enough goals in our opening 24 matches.

Yes I know you are going to say we had better players in 2008/09 than this season but with the addition of 4 quality signings we may well have enough to compete at the next level.
We just don’t know yet how good some of our existing players might actually be at championship level.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 21, 2020, 05:30:43 pm by Campsall rover »
Anyway it’s irrelevant talking about the Championship until we achieve that status.

Only thing that is important is the next match and getting 3 points tomorrow.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 21, 2020, 05:46:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

The only way for a club like ours to go up and survive, and hopefully prosper is to be punching above our weight with a well drilled, well knitted squad. Money won't buy that, not the amount we'd be able to invest. We'd be needing the best of this current squad with a couple of quality buys over the summer, all with a season of bonding, probably being in the top 4, AND then a couple of additions/five very good loanees. This season, I don't think we have the base for that.

But, I'd still love the excitement of a playoff win and a hairy season in the Championship, but at what cost would that be if we struggled and were relegated straight back?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 21, 2020, 07:03:31 pm by Campsall rover »

The only way for a club like ours to go up and survive, and hopefully prosper is to be punching above our weight with a well drilled, well knitted squad. Money won't buy that, not the amount we'd be able to invest. We'd be needing the best of this current squad with a couple of quality buys over the summer, all with a season of bonding, probably being in the top 4, AND then a couple of additions/five very good loanees. This season, I don't think we have the base for that.

But, I'd still love the excitement of a playoff win and a hairy season in the Championship, but at what cost would that be if we struggled and were relegated straight back?
That’s the risk you have to take BRR imo.

There is never going to be a guarantee of staying up. You only have to look at Luton, Barnsley and Charlton who are all in a relegation survival battle.
But you have to have the ambition to try and achieve it even if the odds are against you.

I would prefer us to be a club that fluctuates between the two leagues than one that finishes mid table in league one season after season like Oldham Athletic did for 21 consecutive seasons.
Boring imo.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 21, 2020, 08:01:10 pm by sha66y »

BRR
A lovely dream, however imagine being a Rovers supporter turning up at the Keepmoat pretty much knowing ya gonna get thumped, but hope ya don’t!

I have a friend from Barnsley who said that exact same thing to me.......
It’s not nice having the feeling that your team will be lucky to scrape a point rather than get a win.....week in week out!

We have a very fragile fan base that in my opinion would jump ship mid season if we were getting mullered week in week out....

Now the very idea of being a yo-yo club is actually quite an attractive proposition, but we would, and will need,  a lot of things to happen between now and then......

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 21, 2020, 08:36:52 pm by drfchound »
All of our players would love to get promoted and see if they could hack it in the Championship.
Promotion is a double edged sword though because inevitably some of the squad would not be good enough to make the jump and would find themselves surplus to requirements.
I would bet though that those same players would love to be part of a promoted group and the excitement that it would generate.
A club like DRFC will always find it hard to stay in the Championship, bigger clubs than us do.
However I would like us to have another crack at.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 21, 2020, 10:30:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It was difficult for most of them to help us piss safety from their hospital beds.

Turnbull, Khumalo, Husband, Jones, McCombe, Forrester, Tamas, Quinn, Wellens, Neill, Wabara and Robinson all had long or crucial periods out with injury. The defence started off the season brilliantly, but by January, the entire back 5 were out with ling term injuries. Dickov rebuilt a second defence then three of them went down to injuries. Plus, Sharp was in the worst form of his career, and not only with us.

And even then we were only relegated with the last kick of the season following a dreadful refereeing mistake.

I've no axe to grind for Dickov, but some of the criticism he gets for that season is ridiculous. It was by far the worst season for injuries I've ever known. With just a tiny sprinkling of better luck, we'd have comfortably survived.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 21, 2020, 10:33:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 :that: Absolutely.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012