Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:49:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Before They Were Famous  (Read 4566 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Before They Were Famous
« Reply #60 on November 15, 2021, 08:32:23 pm by scawsby steve »
I was f*cking useless at football, but Derrick Downing, Middlesborough and Orient winger, picked me for the school house team, purely because he was my best mate.

I've also done a walk-on as Bill Shankly in a film, if that counts.
Was home in Donny last year for a visit to some old haunts. Popped into a caff by the North bridge and was  amazed to meet the owner - none other than Derrick Downing. Great bloke.

Actually, Rich, it was owned by his son, Paul, but Derrick was always in there.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 15, 2021, 08:36:57 pm by Bessie Red »
Would that have been the Flying Childers Bessie?
I played for the Little Plough so I’m sure we will have played against each other.
Denis was with a team called Coachcraft and yes Dave and John was the Flying Childers.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on November 15, 2021, 11:55:48 pm by Red wizard »
Played kickabout with Martin Harris from Rosso who played for Grimsby Town and Workington when they were a league team. Played in the playground against Mike Elwiss. He was a bit older than me. And better!

BobG
My brother married his sister.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on November 16, 2021, 06:05:59 am by Donnywolf »
A weird combination of 3 of the above

I played against Kevin Keegan

I played Cricket with Rod Belfitt at Ackworth [dont know why ?]

I drove 3 of us to Workington v Rovers - Jan 77 - freezing cold in my Dads car
Other 2 were "going out" and the young lady was from Rosso and Martin Harris had arranged 3 tickets for the game for us

Footnote - I was Best Man when they got married

Footnote 2 - Car at Workington had Yellow Reg Plates on back with "Edwards - Doncaster" on them so I took some yellow tape to cover it up - couldnt be too careful in those days even though the gate I was sure was 992 !

Rovers history says 1.350 - still hardly a rampaging "mob"

DW!! I thought I was the only person on this planet who remembered Martin Harris...And you were his best man?!  He had a mate, another lad from Rosso, called Pete Williams. Same age. Went to Danum like Martin and me. Pete was always the better player while we were at school. but then - what do I know?

Are you still in contact with Martin, or Pete?

Cracking thread this! Thank you BB :)

BobG
BobG

Hi Bob

Wrote this yesterday on Mobile but saw this morning "it never went"

No dont think I ever met MH

My connection was a mate and his then girlfriend were mad Rovers fans and we used to go everywhere together

She was from Rosso and MH got the 3 of us Tickets for Workington v Rovers and I was the driver - and their Best Man when they got hitched & still are

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on November 16, 2021, 06:09:08 am by Donnywolf »
I always used to get crippling stitch trying to do the house cross-country run , for Dalton house,  through Sandall Beat Cantley ,whilst at Danum Boys Grammar.I never did understand what caused it.

Dalton for me too - and remember that Cross Country run too. Did it any times 63-67 ish

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on November 16, 2021, 06:38:35 am by NickDRFC »
Played kickabout with Martin Harris from Rosso who played for Grimsby Town and Workington when they were a league team. Played in the playground against Mike Elwiss. He was a bit older than me. And better!

BobG

Looks like I’ve accidentally stumbled on the Barnsley forum

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 16, 2021, 07:05:36 am by tommy toes »
Wolfie

Yes forgot about opening the batting with RL.
Teachers arranged a mixed year game at the end of term.
I was a decent batsman so got picked.
Think he was in 6th form and I was in first or second year.
I didn't last long against the big lads though.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on November 16, 2021, 08:07:45 am by Pancho Regan »

BobG

Looks like I’ve accidentally stumbled on the Barnsley forum

Brilliant Nick!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on November 16, 2021, 08:21:45 am by drfchound »

BobG

That just sounds so wrong.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on November 16, 2021, 10:09:43 am by Metalmicky »
When I were a kid I played for Mexborough Athletic.  At the time our manager was Colin Walker, who also happened to be playing (occasionally) for Barnsley..... and later for Donny also.  I was playing for Mexborough when he was called into the first team squad (I think it was his full debut at Anfield) to play against Liverpool in the League cup.  They drew 0-0 and then had a replay the following week at Oakwell - which he got us tickets for.... 

Walker gave Barnsley the lead in the replay, before Liverpool managed score 3 goals in response - although I think it was still level until late on - seem to remember one Kenny Dalglish scoring one.

Colin Walker also managed to end Phil Thompson's career in that game with an innocuous tackle - and as he had been working as a bin man, the tabloids had a field day with their puns... 

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on November 16, 2021, 07:29:57 pm by richtherover »
I always used to get crippling stitch trying to do the house cross-country run , for Dalton house,  through Sandall Beat Cantley ,whilst at Danum Boys Grammar.I never did understand what caused it.

Dalton for me too - and remember that Cross Country run too. Did it any times 63-67 ish
I was also in Dalton and remember those cross countries - and being terrorised by Dougie Kimber and Nippy Nolan.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on November 16, 2021, 09:29:19 pm by BobG »
When I was at Danum, the sports master was a chap called Bruce. Mr Bruce. He was a big rugby union man. Lived behind Punchs Hotel somewhere. Well, whilst we were all little boys we had to run the 'junior course' through Sandall Woods for our cross country. Stupid bloody sport too. When we got to the third form though, old Bruce announced "Today, boys, you are doing the intercourse" !!!

BobG
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:47:36 am by BobG »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on November 16, 2021, 09:56:40 pm by Pancho Regan »
When I was at Danum, the sports master was a chap called Bruce. Mr Bruce. He was a big rugby union man. Lived behind Punches Hotel somewhere. Well, whilst we were all little boys we had to run the 'junior course' through Sandall Woods for our cross country. Stupid bloody sport too. When we got to the third form though, old Bruce announced "Today, boys, you are doing the intercourse" !!!

BobG

I remember him Bob, although I might not have until you reminded me.

We used to call him Bob too. Short for Robert the Bruce - no idea if it was his real name.

I remember vividly him taking us for football one day. As the second half was about to start he shouted “Right lads, I want to see some exciting goals this half because this has been boring so far. Let’s see something a bit different”.

With about 10 minutes to go, there was a long punt upfield which I set off to chase. The ball came down from the sky just as I reached the edge of the penalty area with the keeper advancing. As it bounced next to me I flicked my right foot up behind me and met the ball with my heel, lobbing it over the keeper and into the net.
I shouted triumphantly “Ay Sir, how about that?! You asked for something special, waddya reckon to that?!”.

“Offside” said Bruce.

B*****d.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on November 17, 2021, 12:29:38 am by BobG »
Ha ha ha!! We called him Bob too. He wasn't very popular.... 67-74 I was there. Eddie Semper in charge.

BobG

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 01:10:02 am by BobG »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on November 17, 2021, 03:00:01 am by PDX_Rover »
Played for a junior side coached by John Bird.Played against Goldthorpe team coached by Alan Warboys.Played against keV Johnson for juniorschool team.

My Mother has a painting of Durham Cathedral on her wall painted by John Bird. I'm no connoisseur buit to me it looks bloody good.

BobG

I may be wrong but i think he did a painting of Belle Vue.Last i heard was that he had a studio in Bawtry

He did. I have one - limited run signed and numbered.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on November 17, 2021, 08:22:09 am by Pancho Regan »
Ha ha ha!! We called him Bob too. He wasn't very popular.... 67-74 I was there. Eddie Semper in charge.

BobG

I was in the year below you Bob.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on November 17, 2021, 10:23:02 am by BobG »
Good Lord Pancho! So you will remember Gerry Nolan - a stout Rovers supporter - and  Wood and Mendum, Bas Reed and Ken Scovell and Flab Waite...

Hello Pancho!

BobG

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on November 17, 2021, 10:37:22 am by Bentley Bullet »
Was DonnyWolf the headmaster then or had he retired?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on November 17, 2021, 01:48:32 pm by Donnywolf »

I remember Semper standing in Assembly once or twice ( may be once ) having a real blast at " The Who " in particular the stammering they had put in " My Generation" and how out of order it was when effectively there were real people thst would be offended

Also "Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones got both barrels as Jagger mentioned "he can't be a man cos he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me"

Nothing manly about smoking he said and you boys should desist or resist

He let fly with a long sentence with manifestation in the middle of it which became everyone's go to thing for weeks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 02:40:56 pm by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on November 17, 2021, 01:52:49 pm by Donnywolf »
Good Lord Pancho! So you will remember Gerry Nolan - a stout Rovers supporter - and  Wood and Mendum, Bas Reed and Ken Scovell and Flab Waite...

Hello Pancho!

BobG

I left in 67 and remember Flab Waite Ray Picton Scovell Kaye Nicotine Ned Foy Moakes the Kelly's Markorum Watkins Tuft Beckwith and many more

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on November 17, 2021, 02:45:58 pm by Donnywolf »
Semp must have done 2 rants as 2 records I mentioned were 6 months apart in '65

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on November 17, 2021, 06:41:18 pm by foxbat »
I think 'Flab' Waite destroyed any fledgling confidence I had in woodwork

TinyPortal © 2005-2012