Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:09:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Momentum  (Read 1656 times)

Alan Southstand, Juddy, ChrisBx and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Momentum
« Reply #30 on May 13, 2024, 10:50:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
IDM, I wasn’t even thinking about Miller, as it wasn’t in the context of what I was saying. Of course Miller could have an influence, but GM would maybe have to change his beloved 4-3-3 system to accommodate him. Likewise, I can see a case for giving Biamou another contract, as he’s ’something different’ to Ironside. But his injuries are a concern. However, if he was used ‘sparingly’ then him signing makes a lot of sense.

The real concern, from an attacking perspective, is the huge ‘creativity’ hole we’d have by losing Biggins/Molyneux/Adelakun and, of course, Craig. Yes, they can be replaced, but, for continuity’s sake, I think it would leave us some serious work to do. It’s far better to build on what you have than to wipe the slate clean and start afresh. We’ve had enough of that over the last 2 or 3 seasons, havn’t we?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 14, 2024, 09:55:41 am by IDM »
I agree about continuity but even if none of those players re-sign, we have plenty of others albeit in different positions.

Maybe Grant will unearth players of similar qualities, the next Wilks/Kane combo.  Or end of season form won’t have gone unnoticed in the wider football context and there will be players wanting to come here, clubs wanting to loan players here too.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 14, 2024, 10:37:45 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
IDM, I wasn’t even thinking about Miller, as it wasn’t in the context of what I was saying. Of course Miller could have an influence, but GM would maybe have to change his beloved 4-3-3 system to accommodate him. Likewise, I can see a case for giving Biamou another contract, as he’s ’something different’ to Ironside. But his injuries are a concern. However, if he was used ‘sparingly’ then him signing makes a lot of sense.

The real concern, from an attacking perspective, is the huge ‘creativity’ hole we’d have by losing Biggins/Molyneux/Adelakun and, of course, Craig. Yes, they can be replaced, but, for continuity’s sake, I think it would leave us some serious work to do. It’s far better to build on what you have than to wipe the slate clean and start afresh. We’ve had enough of that over the last 2 or 3 seasons, havn’t we?

I broadly agree about Biamou. A fully fit Biamou would really give us an extra dimension but by the sounds of it, McCann won't compromise on fitness and trying to 'manage' players through the season. We said much the sane about Anderson and Wood but they've both come through the high intensity run in to the end of the season. Whether David Rennie has been an integral part in keeping them fit, who knows, but his advice to McCann about Biamou could be a big factor in whether he's offered a contract. 

I wonder about Kane, whether he could be persuaded to drop a league to reunite with McCann. The midfield combinations are so important. It took Craig's presence to really see Bailey fulfil what we thought he was capable of and provide a platform for Biggins to improve. Without Craig, finding the right combinations that help us get the ball from back to front, whilst being strong without the ball is the key issue. You wonder how much Close and Westbrook would have benefitted from playing alongside Craig for longer periods but filling his boots somehow will be a priority I hope.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on Today at 06:51:38 am by Chris Black come back »
Are we really going to be prioritising central midfield? He’s given the vote of confidence to Close and Westbrooke with new contracts. Broadbent he continues to defend strongly. And then there is Bailey, our player of the season. That’s four there, all of which next season will be expecting to start.

Laying out on another senior midfielder doesn’t seem realistic at all. Maybe a loan but even then with them all fit, one at least contracted midfielders isn’t making the squad. And that’s assuming Biggins and Rowe don’t re-sign.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012