Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:15:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What a difference...  (Read 3810 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
What a difference...
« on February 18, 2010, 05:55:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
... a decade makes. Precisely 10 years ago, we were entering our worst ever run in the Conference. We picked up 6 points in 12 matches, losing to the likes of Southport and Dover at home in the run that finally did for Ian Snodin as our home crowds dropped to less than were on the Leppings Lane end on Tuesday.  

Fast forward a decade to that performance at Hillsborough. Had any professional club ever come so far, so quickly?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re:What a difference...
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2010, 06:04:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Hi Billy

While you have a point I think our progress might be at least rivalled by that of the real Wimbledon who went from non-league to Division 1 rising four levels in the 10 years from 1977 to 1986

And we all know what happened to them

Perish the thought, let's hope we don't end up looking like a good franchise for some other Yorkshire club having trouble rising back up the leagues.........   :laugh:

Edit P.S. was that the run which was ended by a classic win at Alty with a goal from possibly the greatest unsung hero of our entire history - Lee Warren?

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2010, 06:14:46 pm by Wokingviking »
Wimbledon yo-yoed between the 4th and 3rd div if I remember rightly, so it wasn't a straight upward rise like ours.

If we can hold onto SOD then next season could be a real chance to match Wimbledon.  It doesn't seem to matter that much if we sell star players, SOD seems to be able to work his magic with any half-decent player... except that you can't \"make\" a goalscorer so we do need to hang onto Billy.  I fear that one of the bigger clubs in this division will do to us what we did to Bournemouth in terms of SOD.  Let's hope Wolves don't go down.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2010, 06:22:02 pm by Dutch Uncle »
You are absolutely right Woking

But only Wimbledon and Swansea (my second team) have made the transition from level 4 to level 1 in 4 seasons (i.e. only one year longer than the theoretical minimum). We certainly won't match that. Bloody Penney messing around at level 3 for so many years  :laugh:

BTW both Wimbledon and Swansea eventually fell back to level 4. In Swansea's case the total journey from level 4 to 1 back to 4 lasted only 9 years!

P.S (Edit) Totally agree with your comments re SOD, and re Wolves

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2010, 07:32:17 pm by Lesonthewest »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
... a decade makes. Precisely 10 years ago, we were entering our worst ever run in the Conference. We picked up 6 points in 12 matches, losing to the likes of Southport and Dover at home in the run that finally did for Ian Snodin as our home crowds dropped to less than were on the Leppings Lane end on Tuesday.  

Fast forward a decade to that performance at Hillsborough. Had any professional club ever come so far, so quickly?
i

It's amazing when you think back, what a roller coaster ride it's been. Hopefully it's not about to end & if we can hold on to our Championship place, manager, & better players (though I do believe we may lose at least 1), we could have a real tilt at the play-offs next season. I for one would never have dreamt that a decade ago standing there boll ock frozen with my fellow 2000 or so diehards, we would be where we are now, & that's within my lifetime, let alone a decade. Yet again i'm thinking there has never been a better time to be a Rover. Let  the dream carry on, keeping the manager is key though for me.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
Cobblers
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2010, 07:48:06 pm by RoversDave »
Supporting the Cobblers in the sixties must have been a real rollercoaster.

From Division 4 to Division 1 and back all in the sixties.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re:Cobblers
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2010, 07:56:41 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Also a total journey of 9 years - 5 to go up and 4 to come back down!

Cobblers by name..............

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2010, 09:39:37 pm by not on facebook »
i have a photo of the first goal rovers scored in the conference at BV, which i took on one of them fun cameras

it was a penalty towards the old cowshed or should i say town end,for life of me i cant recall who it was against or the scorer.

or more important was that not the first goal rovers scored at bellevue in conference

sure some stato can put us right

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 18, 2010, 10:18:29 pm by wilts rover »
how about a comparison between Tuesday night and the day at Chester when their fans celebrated as they relegated us from the league and off into what we all assumed would be a future of near obscurity.....poor old Chester, dont times change...

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2010, 10:29:03 pm by BobG »
Maybe Stu, but Chester did at least have the decency to be the first team we actually defeated that awful season. Mind you, it was December when we did it. You do wonder what they thought they were playing at don't you?

Cheers

BobG

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2010, 12:07:38 pm by Surrey Rover »
oslorovers wrote:
i have a photo of the first goal rovers scored in the conference at BV, which i took on one of them fun cameras

it was a penalty towards the old cowshed or should i say town end,for life of me i cant recall who it was against or the scorer.

or more important was that not the first goal rovers scored at bellevue in conference

Shaun Goodwin, Kettering Town, won 1-0 having lost 0-1 in the first two home games to Southport and Forest Green Rovers

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2010, 12:35:15 pm by The Red Baron »
Surrey Rover wrote:
oslorovers wrote:

Shaun Goodwin, Kettering Town, won 1-0 having lost 0-1 in the first two home games to Southport and Forest Green Rovers

Correct about Shaun Goodwin. The opponents were Kidderminster Harriers.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2010, 11:08:58 pm by RedRover45 »
It was also the second home game, not the third. The Forest Green 0-1 defeat was the 4th home game of that season.The Red Baron wrote:
Surrey Rover wrote:
oslorovers wrote:

Correct about Shaun Goodwin. The opponents were Kidderminster Harriers.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 20, 2010, 09:37:19 am by not on facebook »
yes the name shaun goodwin comes to mind for sole reason iam sure he used to be a miller,but name of team rovers played means nowt to us

the photo is taken from main stand terrace at the fron on the wall so you see the ball breaking back of net with goodwin still in his stride....side on like

TinyPortal © 2005-2012