Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:20:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson  (Read 8846 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Ferguson
« Reply #30 on January 06, 2018, 08:02:28 pm by steve@dcfd »
Get Williams and Coppinger off the wage bill in the summer and that will free up plenty.

Add to that Alcock.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 06, 2018, 08:04:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Get Williams and Coppinger off the wage bill in the summer and that will free up plenty.

Not to mention Cedric fully gone and then Alcock & Etheridge probably some more i've missed out. In the summer i'd expect decent signings.

Reality is in jan you've either got to spend cash, something most clubs at this level can't, or it's signing young players from the prem, personally i'd rather see what the lads in our squad have got

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 06, 2018, 08:06:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I'd keep Copps in squad player role. He knows he can't play every game nowadays and so wages should reflect that.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 06, 2018, 08:07:11 pm by chrisd_123 »

Add to that Alcock.

I could also see Marosi going too. I know he's just signed a new deal but surely he'd want to play games and he's not going to get in front of Lawlor.

That's not to say I don't rate him. Will just be interesting to see what happens and if he has the ambition to play.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 06, 2018, 08:22:05 pm by Jonathan »
There are a few strange goings on. Either someone is bluffing, or there has been some miscommunication. To suggest now that there is no money available is very odd.

We agreed a deal with Chelsea for Houghton and that didn’t come off. Houghton has now indicated that he could still sign in this window. But the latest inference is that we wouldn’t have any funds to do it. Odd.

Not getting through today was understandably a blow to the available funds. But hitting the jackpot would surely not have been in ‘the budget’ anyway. And as others said, crowd numbers have been decent and the Arsenal game was an unexpected bonus. So surely Ferguson was bluffing to suggest that there is now nothing in the pot.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 06, 2018, 08:24:47 pm by Retdon1 »

Copps has got one more season in him but I think at this stage in his career he shouldn't be on top money anymore, add his wage reduction to the freed up wages of Williams, Alcock, ethridge and evina and we have a good amount of money to strengthen next season. I was told last season that Williams is on around 8k a week, that would pay for 2/3 decent players at this level.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 06, 2018, 08:29:56 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Copps has got one more season in him but I think at this stage in his career he shouldn't be on top money anymore, add his wage reduction to the freed up wages of Williams, Alcock, ethridge and evina and we have a good amount of money to strengthen next season. I was told last season that Williams is on around 8k a week, that would pay for 2/3 decent players at this level.

I agree but £8K a week can't be right?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 06, 2018, 08:34:34 pm by eastender »
There are a few strange goings on. Either someone is bluffing, or there has been some miscommunication. To suggest now that there is no money available is very odd.

We agreed a deal with Chelsea for Houghton and that didn’t come off. Houghton has now indicated that he could still sign in this window. But the latest inference is that we wouldn’t have any funds to do it. Odd.

Not getting through today was understandably a blow to the available funds. But hitting the jackpot would surely not have been in ‘the budget’ anyway. And as others said, crowd numbers have been decent and the Arsenal game was an unexpected bonus. So surely Ferguson was bluffing to suggest that there is now nothing in the pot.
Come on we should know by now not to believe a word that DF says when it  comes to bringing player's in during transfer windows and the closed season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 06, 2018, 08:34:55 pm by selby »
  Gaz, if £8k was a lot 3 years ago  for Williams, going on the Houghton issue, it may be  that it is now the norm in this division,  and releasing that money will not get you 2/3 players now.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 06, 2018, 08:35:24 pm by Campsall rover »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 06, 2018, 08:38:08 pm by Retdon1 »

That is what I was told by a friend who is a reliable source. This was the reason he refused to leave in the summer. Remember when we signed him he turned the blades down to sign for us.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 06, 2018, 08:38:32 pm by Copps is Magic »
People keep mentioning the increased attendances this year.

I was told before the season that Virgin Trains had bought 1,400 seasons tickets (i believe that was the number) as part of the sponsorship deal. These seem to be being distributed to various groups to get them in the ground. Unique way of doing things but I don't think it necessarily corresponds to a massive increase in revenue.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 06, 2018, 08:39:43 pm by GazLaz »
Williams isn’t on 8k a week.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 06, 2018, 08:40:51 pm by Retdon1 »
Williams isn’t on 8k a week.

How do you know he isn't

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 06, 2018, 08:42:48 pm by Campsall rover »

Not a chance it is 8k Maybe 5k  If it’s 8k then Dickov must have robbed the bank of Bramall/Watson when they were not looking.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 06, 2018, 08:45:38 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I heard it was 6k a week can't remember who and it wasn't anyone ITK but remember we signed him after topping the league one scoring so he's going to be on a decent contract

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 06, 2018, 08:46:51 pm by Retdon1 »

Not a chance it is 8k Maybe 5k  If it’s 8k then Dickov must have robbed the bank of Bramall/Watson when they were not looking.

I'm just repeating what a friend who knows Williams told me last season. My friend has no intrest in rovers or football but lives on the same street as him.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 06, 2018, 08:48:27 pm by dickos1 »
I'm not so sure Williams would go around telling his neighbours his weekly wage.
Would he?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 06, 2018, 08:48:33 pm by Campsall rover »
There is no way this club would pay anybody £400,000 a year in league 1 not unless our ave gates were 11/12,000

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 06, 2018, 08:50:29 pm by Retdon1 »
I'm not so sure Williams would go around telling his neighbours his weekly wage.
Would he?

You might do if u were up your own backside and liked to boast about your wealth like certain footballers do

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 06, 2018, 08:52:16 pm by Chris Black come back »
416k a year for ONE player!

You just need to compare that against our total wage bill to see how ridiculous that looks.

416k!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 06, 2018, 08:52:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Rovers got 45% of the gate revenue from Arsenal. Probably around £200,000 + £7,000 prize money + £TV revenue from the game being shown internationally. No doubt commercial revenue got a boost as well.

The official attendance for that match was 44,064. Adult tickets for the lower tier (where the vast majority of fans were) were £10 and kids/OAP tickets £5.

Even if you are generous and assume that the average ticket price was £10 (it wouldn’t have been because there were many, many kids and OAPs) there, the gross hate receipts would have been £440k.

Then, before the receipts are divvied up,Arsenal can deduct reasonable costs to arrive at a net figure.

EFL website:

20    Financial Rules

20.1    The proceeds of all matches (including replayed matches and admittance to the Visiting Club’s home ground where a beam back is provided) after paying thereout the travelling expenses of the Visiting Club, the ground and other expenses of the match including Value Added Tax, floodlighting of the playing pitch and ancillary lighting (not to exceed £200), advertising, printing, postage, police charges, turnstile operators, stewards, contribution to first aid helpers, costs incurred pursuant to Rule 14.7 (goal line technology and video referees if used) and clearing the ground of snow, provided in the case of the last mentioned item the Visiting Club is notified in advance of the match in question of the approximate cost (such net proceeds being hereinafter referred to as ‘the Net Cup Competition Gate’) shall save as set out below be divided as follows:

20.1.1    45 per cent to each Club taking part in such match;

Given that VAT will immediate take 20% off the gross receipts, and given the likely several thousand man-hours of effort associated with running a match at a 60,000 capacity stadium, I’d be surprised if the Rovers got as much as £100k from their share of the gate receipts.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 06, 2018, 09:05:27 pm by silent majority »
It seems to me that he had a budget but was promised money from the arsenal game, and now this hasn't materialised

Every manager at DRFC has a budget. Every manager in the EFL has a budget, its now part of EFL rules. Not sure where he has ever been promised extra money just because of the one game against Arsenal. Was this something he's said in public?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 06, 2018, 09:08:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
BST, fair enough, probably about right. I wasn't trying to show it was a lot of money btw. Even 200k doesn't go far does it, presuming we're running at an operating loss.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 06, 2018, 09:11:43 pm by dickos1 »
It seems to me that he had a budget but was promised money from the arsenal game, and now this hasn't materialised

Every manager at DRFC has a budget. Every manager in the EFL has a budget, its now part of EFL rules. Not sure where he has ever been promised extra money just because of the one game against Arsenal. Was this something he's said in public?

People have suggested that today's game determined whether we spent or not in January.
Gavin is always saying extra revenue the club receives will be used on the playing squad,

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 06, 2018, 09:15:19 pm by silent majority »

Managers will always want a bigger budget than what has been agreed and allocated, its the way of the world. What I would suggest is that if he can put forward a good business case for signing someone else he would be listened to. Budgets therefore are fluid to a point, do well, attract the crowds, make progress and you will be listened to.

He'll be at the next board meeting, he can make his case there.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 06, 2018, 09:16:48 pm by silent majority »

People have suggested that today's game determined whether we spent or not in January.
Gavin is always saying extra revenue the club receives will be used on the playing squad,

Yep, and he's right. But today would have been a bonus, if you don't earn it you can't spend it. As for finding money for other signings see my post above.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 06, 2018, 09:22:05 pm by dickos1 »
I've been told, ferguson and Wilcox had a meeting with the board a few weeks back and were told they couldn't approach any of their targets as the funds weren't available

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 06, 2018, 09:22:42 pm by silent majority »
I've been told, ferguson and Wilcox had a meeting with the board a few weeks back and were told they couldn't approach any of their targets as the funds weren't available

You've been told wrong.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 06, 2018, 09:25:40 pm by Lesonthewest »
Do well as finish midtable yes, but if we've expectations of moving up the league then now is the time to sign some players

Other sides around us will, and already have this week

There's the rub, we are handily placed & now would be the time to strengthen & have a go at reaching the play offs, or even bring in a couple to at least consolidate our position. If not, I really hope we have enough to get us through the remainder of the season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012