Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:17:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mandy is doing OK: further updates.  (Read 57662 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Mandy is doing OK further update.
« Reply #90 on September 23, 2018, 09:52:27 pm by drfchound »
I have nothing against Mandeville and I also hope he does well in the future.
However, when he played for us it seemed to me the he was very average, then he would have three or four games where he looked like he could play a bit, then go back to being very average again.
He has to show that he can be good over a long spell.
He may find it easier to do that at L2 level.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on September 23, 2018, 10:06:32 pm by selby »
  Hound, we have players here struggling with Newcastle U21's and Mansfield development sides.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 23, 2018, 10:10:41 pm by drfchound »
  Hound, we have players here struggling with Newcastle U21's and Mansfield development sides.

The Mansfield side was not far off a first team and we finished the last half hour of that game with a very young set of players on the pitch.

Also, who says that Mandeville would not have struggled against those sides?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 23, 2018, 10:50:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
The Mansfield side was not far off a first team and we finished the last half hour of that game with a very young set of players on the pitch.

Hound, the team that finished the game against Mansfield wasn't a great deal different to what started! Furthermore, for Selby's sake, it wasn't just the attacking players who found it difficult, far from it!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on September 24, 2018, 08:43:31 am by Alickismyhero »

Also, who says that Mandeville would not have struggled against those sides?

I do!

I even went to Morecambe so I could form an accurate opinion of Mandy.

I don't have a bad eye for a player and as an example I did spot a good lad locally who I supported and encouraged from the age of 19 although I was accused of changing his style of play which earned him a lot of yellow cards and even reds. His mother holds me responsible for the cards.

He went on to play for England U19, Crystal Palace, Leyton Orient, Northampton, Brentford and Saunders wanted to sign him for Crawley to which he turned him down. His career is over and is now involved in pyramid selling, very sad.

I honestly beleive that Mandy is in the same boat.

I am convinced with an element of luck Mandy can play at a higher level but what he can't deal with is when a critical crowd get on his back which is likely at Donny. Thats why I would recommend that it is time for him to move on.

Mandy has a lot of good support at Morecambe and even though they play him out of position, lose most games, I never heard any bad comments about him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on September 24, 2018, 09:07:41 am by RedJ »
If he can't deal with a crowd getting on his back then, while I don't agree with getting on a player's back in the stadium, he isn't going to make it at a very high level is he.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on September 24, 2018, 10:24:20 am by Alickismyhero »
I accept giving a player stick is part of the game for some supporters and you only have to read some of the comments on here were morons go a little too far out of pure ignorance.

Although Morecambe have had a very poor start to their season supporters don't aim their disappointment at Mandy and that's why I think he is flourishing even though they play him in the wrong position.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on September 24, 2018, 02:19:13 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Maybe it is worth someone from the press asking GM whether he has been tracking his progress and whether his Rovers career is over perhaps?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on September 24, 2018, 02:20:29 pm by GazLaz »
Maybe it is worth someone from the press asking GM whether he has been tracking his progress and whether his Rovers career is over perhaps?

If he hasn’t watched every game he’s played he should get the sack.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on September 24, 2018, 02:59:23 pm by Alickismyhero »

I think it was at the "Ask the owners" night, GM said that he keeps an eye on Mandy and gets feed back.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on September 24, 2018, 05:47:20 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Always wanted Mandy to push on and take Copps place, as our main supplier, once he hangs his boots up. He had natural talent, can't see it happening now as to be honest.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on September 24, 2018, 06:33:18 pm by Alickismyhero »
Always wanted Mandy to push on and take Copps place, as our main supplier, once he hangs his boots up. He had natural talent, can't see it happening now as to be honest.

Now you mention it Mandy reminds me of Copps where Copps fakes to centre but goes left, then goes in the opposite direction and its at this point the defender is screwing himself in to the pitch trying to block the centre. Well Mandy does exactly the same move.  Obviously got it from the master.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on September 24, 2018, 08:50:26 pm by drfchound »
Again, no disrespect to Mandeville, but is is not even close to being as good as Copps.
Also if he can’t take stick from a crowd then he is not likely to make it in the game is he.
I have said before that he has some of the attributes to become a decent enough player but he appears to lack mental strength as well as physical strength.
These are things that modern day successful footballers need to have.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on September 24, 2018, 09:06:41 pm by selby »
  Rj don't  give me that  B******S it was Mansfield's first team,we had our fair share of want to be first team players on the park, our goalkeeper probably cost more than their team put together, and a player who cost over a million pounds at one time, so they say.
   It may have missed some peoples notice that Mansfield's first team play at the same level that Mandeville is getting picked for the team of the week, and good reviews most games in a poor team at that.
  They have to win their next Chekatrade game or we are out of that in the group stages for the first time, something Mandeville with youngsters never achieved, because he usually scored in the games, or set someone else up.
  The only good result our development side has had is against a young Grimsby team whose first team are nearly as poor as Morecambe.
  And where has this he can't take stick come from, last seasons reasons were he ran and looked funny.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on September 24, 2018, 09:11:23 pm by RedJ »
What are you on about? why are you randomly mentioning me again? :laugh:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on September 24, 2018, 09:11:53 pm by drfchound »
Selby, it was Alickismyhero who suggested that Mandeville can’t handle stick from the crowd.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on September 24, 2018, 09:30:08 pm by selby »
  Because I have just had a five hour operation in York hospital and I want to, someone has to get it sorry.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on September 24, 2018, 09:35:40 pm by drfchound »
Selby, just sent you a PM mate.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on September 24, 2018, 10:31:48 pm by keith79 »
This maybe the kick up the bum Mandy needs

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on September 24, 2018, 11:09:11 pm by Alickismyhero »
Again, no disrespect to Mandeville, but is is not even close to being as good as Copps.
Also if he can’t take stick from a crowd then he is not likely to make it in the game is he.
I have said before that he has some of the attributes to become a decent enough player but he appears to lack mental strength as well as physical strength.
These are things that modern day successful footballers need to have.

Hound, I seem to recall you making comments about how you never liked supporters in the South Stand shouting abuse and booing players suggesting that it never improves performance! I totally agree with you.

Yes, Mandy is not the perfect player but who is? When did you last see Mandy play? He now takes all corners, free kicks and is up and down the wing like he is on elastic.

He is a very young player who needs plenty of encouragement to develop. His biggest failing for me is his ability to tackle and I have not seen any improvement in that area but if he was played in the right positioin it wouldn't be that important.

I don't think anyone said Mandy was a better player than Copps just a suggestion that when Copps hangs up his boots, by ZZ, that he would have liked Mandy to take over, thats fair comment from what I have seen.

Time will tell who is right and I maintain that with luck and encouragement Mandy will be successful. Mind you I did say Maine would make it and look what happened to him. I did plan to watch Maine last week when I was in Edinburgh but had to call it off at the last minute, thats life.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on September 25, 2018, 08:51:41 pm by drfchound »
Alick, by his own admission, Bobby Charlton couldn’t tackle but that didn’t stop him being a great player.
If Mandeville goes a tenth of the way that Charlton did he will have done well.

You are correct about my earlier comment, it does brass me off when supporters do that and they certainly destroyed Curtis Main and also ATS when they played for us.
As I said though, players have to be mentally strong and deal with that.
I was speaking with someone today who was telling me that even when DF was watching some of our younger sides play he was prone to screaming out at them, much like he did to our first team players.
As we know, some players can take it and some can’t.
Mandeville may be one that can’t handle that either ( as well as from supporters).
Perhaps he needs the old arm around the shoulder cajoling and is getting that at Morecambe.
However, to repeat, I wish him well for the future but in the hard nosed world of football I think he will have to mentally toughen up to make a good career in it.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on September 25, 2018, 09:08:48 pm by Alickismyhero »
Hound,
 I wouldn't argue with that! I am sure we all wish the kid well, its a tough and short career.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on September 25, 2018, 11:47:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We all desperately want young players to succeed, especially when they've had some exposure in the first team and shown they have talent and, been able to score some goals. In Mandy's case some crackers in that.

We all know, as said above, there are some aspects of his game that is lacking. He's not the more complete player in relative terms, compared to say Kane and Wilks, who are on loan with us for a reason.

We have moved on to League One whilst Maindy isn't ready for the week in week out rigours at this level. The loan is probably the best thing for him and we all hope he becomes a better player for it and better physically and maybe mentally. Sooner, rather than later he has to convert that potential and find his level.

Alas, his time with us maybe limited as we maybe progressing faster than he can keep up. This is also the case for other players on our books at the moment.

However DF handled it, was the loans the right move? I'd have to say yes. Will we see him in a Rovers shirt again? Doubtful I would say.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on September 26, 2018, 07:56:02 am by Campsall rover »
If he does come back to Rovers then it just might be that GM will man manage him in such a way that he turns out to be a gem.
Something that DF obviously had a problem doing.
At age 18/19 he was considered to be one of the best players to come out of the youth team for a considerable time.
Ability is permanent, its his head that needs sorting. That’s all about his own personal desire and having the man management to help him be as good as he possibly can be.
Only time will tell of course but I hope he can fulfill his potential, preferably with Rovers.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on September 26, 2018, 09:26:37 am by Alickismyhero »
We all desperately want young players to succeed, especially when they've had some exposure in the first team and shown they have talent and, been able to score some goals. In Mandy's case some crackers in that.

We all know, as said above, there are some aspects of his game that is lacking. He's not the more complete player in relative terms, compared to say Kane and Wilks, who are on loan with us for a reason.

We have moved on to League One whilst Maindy isn't ready for the week in week out rigours at this level. The loan is probably the best thing for him and we all hope he becomes a better player for it and better physically and maybe mentally. Sooner, rather than later he has to convert that potential and find his level.

Alas, his time with us maybe limited as we maybe progressing faster than he can keep up. This is also the case for other players on our books at the moment.

However DF handled it, was the loans the right move? I'd have to say yes. Will we see him in a Rovers shirt again? Doubtful I would say.

I have watched Mandy recently, which I see as important in assessing him accurately, and he is playing better than I have seen in the past even though they play him out of his best position. Will he be coming back? I don't think so in fact I would recommend that he doesn't but you never know in football.

Morecambe are in a relegation fight and I think it could be in Mandy's favour because he stands out head and shoulders above his team mates somebody higher in status will acquire him.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on September 26, 2018, 11:56:07 am by sedwardsdrfc »
There was a period when we were in league 2 where he looked a class above and if he's finding those levels of performance again he's worth another contract and another chance here. Trouble is we have a good squad playing well at the moment and if he comes back in theres a good chance he'll join Beestin on the bench and struggle to get in

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on September 29, 2018, 08:13:37 am by Alickismyhero »
More comments from Morecambe supporters:

Mandy is a cracking player who many seem to agree should be playing down the middle and opening teams up. As we’ve got few wide players though this is forcing him out there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Having said that he really needs to stay off the drink. A few mentions at the game on Saturday of his previous antics. It is only going to destroy his potential - as well as his liver.
------------------------------------------------------------------

My only criticism of Mandy is that he doesn't shoot often enough , he gets past two or three players and will then pass rather than shoot , but he's not alone in that department .
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mande is definitely going to be a big player for us this year, quality and with bags of potential.

Hopefully he’ll soon get a goal and that will really build his confidence. Looks great on the ball but occasionally ‘fluffy’ as in not always playing a killer pass, or as said, taking a shot. I think the potential is there once he builds more understanding with his teammates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

He should be unleashed from his defensive shackles and allowed to do more sustained damage to the opposing team.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

For that to happen he'd have to be the 10 in two up front, in my opinion!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He got a goal the other week. Good goal from outside the area proving that if you shoot it might go in!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

He's got two, he scored at PNE also!!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on September 29, 2018, 08:30:24 am by Alickismyhero »
I posed the question on Morecambe's forum "Whats your opinion of Mandy"

Their forum is not as populated as our forum but the topic is probably the most popular on there.

It has totalled 60 replies and nearly 3000 views.

What concerned me the most is the one where a supporter talks of the demon drink in relation to Mandy. The supporter's comment seems only to be formed on hearsay and pointing to his time at Donny. I seem to recall hearing something like this before but if that is his problem he seems to have turned the corner with the good reports of his Morecambe supporters.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on September 29, 2018, 10:18:13 am by Chris Black come back »
The moment may have passed for him but would have been interesting to see how he would have played in this formation. I fear that his work ethic off the ball might not be what our current manager demands or expects. Certainly playing a little off centre in a three would suit him well.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012