Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:42:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mandy is doing OK: further updates.  (Read 57657 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Mandy is doing OK: further updates.
« Reply #480 on March 30, 2019, 09:31:50 pm by drfchound »
He has hardly had any game time in recent weeks so no wonder we haven’t had a match report on him since February.
Perhaps he just isn’t good enough for a regular place in the team?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #481 on March 30, 2019, 11:05:29 pm by Alickismyhero »
It could be due to a lot of things why he has not been playing.

At the end of the day its down to a manager and the way he wants to play his team, it is very subjective who he picks to play his system.

The manager, who is under pressure from the supporters, wanting his head, sets his team up to not lose the game, that's what happens when you are in a relegation battle.

I have said many times that Mandy is not your greatest defender and when he is played mainly in a defensive roll Mandy can't give of his best but play him just behind two strikers then you get the best of him. I feel the same about Blair, he is not a full back, but play him as a winger, bingo, but he is having to play out of position right now.

The way I see it Mandy is a young lad, 22, and probably needed a rest having played 37 games this season hence being on the bench in recent times. Personally I wouldn't read anything else in to it not many players get that far in a season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #482 on March 30, 2019, 11:31:48 pm by drfchound »
Alick, he has only made 25 starts this season and in ten of those he was brought off.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #483 on March 31, 2019, 09:33:35 am by RoversAlias »
I'd say he's been on the bench because he hasn't been deemed good enough to start recently. Occam's razor.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #484 on March 31, 2019, 09:49:36 am by Alickismyhero »
In my defence Hound the stats I looked at did not break it down so finely as your research did.

When it comes to stats they can be manipulated to reach a set conclusion. I speak from experience on that point as I have a boy who did a masters in statistic and boy is he difficult to debate with. You wouldn't want to get caught with him after a few pints at a party.

The thing that stands out for me is that the manager sees Mandy as a luxury when he cant do the defensive roll he wants hence the poor stats. Unless Mandy improves with his defensive work he would be better calling it a day and move on.

A friend of mine, Dave Hunt, who based his game on playing CM was in his mind played permanently in the wrong position and therefore could not play his best. I did watch him play for England U19 and he was superb. He became a football journey man and retired last season. As an example he was promised CB at Leyton Orient but Ling  played him at full back and that seemed to be how his career worked out for him, played out of position.

I would say the same thing goes for Matty Blair but that's the way football works or doesn't as the case might be.

RoversAlias,

If you read what I have written carefully you will see that is exactly what I am saying but where we disagree is the reason for not being favoured by the manager.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #485 on March 31, 2019, 10:02:54 am by NickDRFC »
He's now had 4 managers who don't favour him, that seems like more than coincidence to me. He is obviously a talented lad but you can't make a career out of talent alone and given this loan spell has gone South as well I'm not sure he's got much of a future in the professional game.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #486 on March 31, 2019, 12:34:38 pm by Alickismyhero »
I don't think there is any fear of Mandy leaving football any time soon. The example I quoted, Hunty, is an example of a player never allowed to play in a position he really wanted and at Morecambe its the same for Mandy. I suppose he needs a manager like Sean O'Driscoll or old Cloughy. one capable of pressing the right buttons

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #487 on March 31, 2019, 02:58:31 pm by RedJ »
Mad how it's everyone's fault but Mandeville, as usual.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #488 on March 31, 2019, 04:52:02 pm by selby »
  If he now hits good goal scoring form to the end of the season, and plays well, being a loan player and under contract to June, he could well strengthen our back up strike force for the playoffs, what do you think RJ?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #489 on March 31, 2019, 05:41:08 pm by Alickismyhero »
Mad how it's everyone's fault but Mandeville, as usual.

RJ,
If you read what I have written I have repeatedly pointed out what I think is Mandy's weak points and defending is his weak point followed by poor tackling. When a manager demands that he plays out of his best position you won't get the best out of him and that goes for any player.

I feel that if Morecambe were top of the league Mandy could play to his strengths but the team is in fear of relegation and he sets his team up not to lose.

To support what Selby says Mandy is 22 could he not fit in with our U23 squad? I think the club policy was to have 3 players for each position? Can't honestly see that happening but "football is a funny old game"

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #490 on March 31, 2019, 05:49:58 pm by NickDRFC »
He’s a forward, the vast majority of forwards’ weak points are their tackling and defending. I don’t know a lot about Morecambe but I imagine they have still been playing at least one forward every week - if he was good enough or willing to work hard enough for the team he would still be playing. It’s not like they’ll have been picking 10 defenders every week which is keeping him out of the time.

Just to clarify an earlier comment - I said I’m not sure he has a future in the professional game. What I mean by that is that it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go the way of Liam Wakefield or Harry Middleton and out of the football league.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #491 on March 31, 2019, 06:05:49 pm by Alickismyhero »
Just to reiterate, I set this topic up not to say Mandy is great and its a mistake to put him out on loan.

This topic is to re-produce the comments made by Morecambe supporters both good and bad.

He is still one of our contracted players and I thought it would be good idea to let those of our supporters that are interested know how he was doing.

more comments:

Nice cameo appearance from Mande yesterday, one of his first acts was to run through 3 players and put a cross in! Not seen that from our side in the whole match. Nice header to win a game we were fortunate to still be in. Hope he stays here as he is an exciting forward thinking player.
------------------------------------------------
Delighted for Mandy and he certainly along with Fleming changed what had been a sterile performance.

He looked really pleased with himself as he came off the pitch which should have done his confidence a power of good.

Hopefully there is a place for both him and Fleming in future team selections.

---------------------------------------------------
both were excellent I thought when they came on.
totally agree, i was shouting for him to come on as we had no creativity at all, his touches and passing are second to none, a real class act.
A bit of the old “Mande magic,” which he is very capable of. Would be great if yesterday provided the catalyst for a return to form, and favour for him. It is definitely in there.
Perhaps one of the statos can let me know, did Mandy's loss of form coincide with Flemo's injury? Perhaps Flemo brings out the best in Mandy?
Could have a point there, Keith. when Flemmo was replaced by Cranston early October it was only 3 of 4 games later Mandy hit the bench.
Flemmo has a much better eye for a pass rather than a long range punt. Noticeable for me yesterday that he was sliding through forward passes rather than the sideways movements he has been famous for, this is obviously easier done now we have forwards eager on getting the ball.

Oates could have been subbed earlier for me.

Flemo got injured before the Grimsby game (29th September), Mandy scored in that one and got 3 assists in the 3 matches following. He then went a bit off the boil, and stopped getting full matches in late November.

I think there's more to it, he's a young player who's inconsistent, but definitely been one of our brighter sparks this season and deserves a chance if we can keep him.
Good point from Little Shrimp too about Fleming & Devitt together. Strange how we went from being unable to cobble together a healthy midfield earlier in the season, to having an embarrassment of riches now. Cranston was far better in midfield than defence I thought. If Fleming & Mandeville can form a partnership, then where does that leave Wildig, who when fit and on form, is superb? I like Kenyon as a defensive player, although since his goal, he appears to be shooting from everywhere! Oates can be great going forwards, although a bit off the pace yesterday and fitness may be an issue. Who would you start & who would you drop? Does it mean that Jim has the 'luxury' of picking and choosing depending upon who we are playing? But that's my biggest criticism of Jim, that I think he spends too much time worrying about the opposition rather than sticking with our best team and letting them worry about us...

One of the good things about Mandeville's loss of form, when it was... he's much less likely to be on anyone else's radar as the scouts will have missed him at his best!    Hopefully we'll get him to sign permanently.
--------------------------------------------------

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #492 on March 31, 2019, 10:41:47 pm by RedJ »
  If he now hits good goal scoring form to the end of the season, and plays well, being a loan player and under contract to June, he could well strengthen our back up strike force for the playoffs, what do you think RJ?

Sure. But I don't see that happening.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #493 on April 01, 2019, 09:32:22 am by selby »
RJ neither can I, but if Marquis and Wilks stay fit and play the majority of the time on the pitch, Sadlier has now become the man to turn to, and rightly so, he looks a good player and a threat in front of goal.
 Smith? will his loan period cover the playoffs, I hope so, another who looks quick and threatening, but if Mandeville does hit goal scoring form, and also gets game time to the end of the season why not add him to the group? he will still be under contract to us and we will still be paying his wages to the end of June.
   Yes he will be leaving, but the club and player owe it to each other for it to be on the right terms.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #494 on April 01, 2019, 09:40:46 pm by Alickismyhero »
More comments:

Liam was outstanding when he came on. Two brilliant touches that left defenders for dead, an outstanding cross and a great header. The ball control to beat two players you rarely see at this level and was a joy to watch.

He’s clearly got some skeletons in his closet but he has the potential to be a massively successful player for us and higher up the leagues. I really hope we’ve got the belief in him that he can make it and in himself to really want it.
------------------------------------------------
I heard and not sure if true, he goes out drinking/clubbing too much, which you cannot do if you want to be a professional footballer. Yes he is only 21 years old but he should concentrate of rebuilding his career.

He is a class player and could easily play at a higher level (Mark Duffy, Carl Baker level) if he focuses. His touches and skills to get past players in the final part of pitch is one of the best.
----------------------------------------
I saw him on the right earlier this season where he was good, but looked a bit shackled. Came on on the left wing on Saturday and looked far better on that side. Able to more naturally drift into central positions on his stronger foot, which is how I think we'll probably utilise him best in our current system.
that is where i would like to see him play, his close control will open up any defence !
I'm with Alick. I'd love to see him as a play maker behind a front two or as a false 9 behind a quick striker like a Jack Redshaw.

- - - - - Halstead / Roche - - - - -
- - Sutton - - Old - - Lavelle - -
- - Mills - - Fleming - - Conlan - -
- - - Mandeville - - - Tutte - - -
- - - Bennett (or a quicker striker) - - -
--------------------------------------------------------
Posh,
Its a no brainer for me. Why is Mandy given a defensive role when he is relatively useless at it. Yet put him behind the strikers and use the strength of his ability. The best form of defence is to attack and this kid has the ability to do it and at a higher level.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:43:22 pm by Alickismyhero »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #495 on April 02, 2019, 07:26:38 am by drfchound »
What is a defensive roll.

Maybe a new type of sandwich ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #496 on April 02, 2019, 08:31:01 am by RedJ »
Wonder how much it'll cost in the BVB?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #497 on April 02, 2019, 09:43:35 am by selby »
RJ, perhaps we could all meet up, and I am sure a man of substance will stand the bar bill.
   OH, just a thought, are you old enough to go in a bar?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #498 on April 02, 2019, 10:32:08 am by RedJ »
RJ, perhaps we could all meet up, and I am sure a man of substance will stand the bar bill.
   OH, just a thought, are you old enough to go in a bar?
Comments like that make me wonder if you are.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #499 on April 02, 2019, 01:21:02 pm by Alickismyhero »

You could say he is a bit tasty!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #500 on April 02, 2019, 07:24:17 pm by drfchound »

You could say he is a bit tasty!

I noticed that you have edited your post Alick.

On the “tasty” subject.
Maybe he is only tasty to one or two palates.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #501 on April 02, 2019, 07:31:08 pm by Alickismyhero »
Hound,

Yes I have, a bit slick eh!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #502 on April 02, 2019, 07:33:04 pm by drfchound »
Hound,

Yes I have, a bit slick eh!

Like grease on a slide mate.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #503 on April 05, 2019, 03:45:49 pm by Alickismyhero »
I was unable to put the address for Sky football highlights but for those interested in Mandy's goal on Saturday follow this route:

Enter in search bar, Sky football.
Put Morecambe in the search box.

A headed goal, now there's a surprise!

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #504 on April 05, 2019, 04:56:42 pm by elmsallrover »
Unfortunately he and 100s that are released by clubs every summer are not good enough for League football

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #505 on April 05, 2019, 05:47:06 pm by Alickismyhero »
Unfortunately he and 100s that are released by clubs every summer are not good enough for League football

It is interesting when it comes to Mandy I for one do not feel that he will go out of football at the end of the season, in fact, I am still convinced there is more to come from him. I don't suggest you go back through all 17 pages of comments but I would suggest the majority of the comments from Morecambe supporters are positive and I would go so far as to say he has become a fans favourite. I am guessing there is an issue with why he is so out of favour at Donny, that's life, and its right he moves on but its certainly not out of football just yet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:50:56 pm by Alickismyhero »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #506 on April 05, 2019, 05:53:30 pm by selby »
He could go to Peterborough, Haven't they got a record of getting non league players and getting millions for them later on.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #507 on April 05, 2019, 06:40:53 pm by Alickismyhero »
and didn't Fergy wax lyrical about Mandy?

Sad thing is how long will Fergy be at the Posh?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #508 on April 05, 2019, 07:07:04 pm by drfchound »
Ferguson was the one who packed him out on loan.
I don’t see how he can be considered to be interested in taking him on.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #509 on April 05, 2019, 10:44:42 pm by Alickismyhero »
Hound,
I think Selby is pulling your leg! and you bit!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012