Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:32:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: throw the towel in?  (Read 2091 times)

southwestexile

• Forum Member
throw the towel in?
« on October 29, 2011, 06:49:38 pm by southwestexile »
I'm sure that someone is a better statto than me so please tell me that we've been in worse positions than this at this stage of the season (just based on points)?

whether we've been in a worse position in terms of structure and management is a whole other issue

BUT....maybe the bubble has burst, the wheels have come off etc, etc.  In my lifetime (42 now) we've always been poor and disappointing.  Michael Palin once spoke of Doncaster as typical of any Nothern town having strong associations with the railways in that it has a crap football team (though he was comfortably more erudite than that).  So if you can accept that we're alligned to York, Darlington, Crewe then a fall back to leagues 1 and maybe 2 seems hardly a suprise.  I've enjoyed these great times but always viewed us as punching above our weight.  I really hope that we can stay up but the natural order of things may well be too strong to resist.:(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: throw the towel in?
« Reply #1 on October 29, 2011, 06:53:24 pm by Wellred »
We're we not in a worse position at the same point in Sod's first season?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 29, 2011, 06:54:47 pm by Sprotyrover »
Derby is a railway town!!!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 29, 2011, 06:57:11 pm by PDX_Rover »
We have been in much worse positions under Sean O'Driscoll.... 2008/9 for example, when the season didn't bloody start until Boxing Day.

If Billy Sharp has gone to Southampton as seems to be the case, then it saddens me but let's move on.  As long as we get a good fee for him.

We're not in this division to make up the numbers.  We're here on merit.  I do not expect us to throw in thee towel and I'm interested to see how this new strategy plays out.

I see no reason why we cannot be another Wigan.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 29, 2011, 07:50:26 pm by southwestexile »
other than wigan are supported endlessly by a chairman through loans taken out against his businesses and who now cannot afford to let them go down.  which board member will allow that to happen at Donny?

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 29, 2011, 10:46:09 pm by andysly »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=195210
We're we not in a worse position at the same point in Sod's first season?

Yes we are, because in that season we always looked capable of getting wins, we played the best football I've ever seen from a rovers team and were always likely to give somebody a hiding as we did at chitty ground. Can anybody realistically see us scoring 4 goals next month never mind in the next game.

Spike

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 29, 2011, 11:17:54 pm by Spike »
South West exile

Look at our stats for 1998!!!

Those make it look as if we are doing well now.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 29, 2011, 11:29:11 pm by Alonzo Drake »
\"Can anybody realistically see us scoring 4 goals next month never mind in the next game.\"

Could anyone foresee Man City hitting six at Old Trafford last week?!

Football is so unpredictable, and the Rovers have always been amazingly unpredictable in their long and unspectacular history.

Many on this forum will recall that wonderful day at Anfield when bottom of D4 played top of D1 of the park!

When SOD was playing other teams off the park in 2007/2008, and we kept getting mugged every game until Boxing Day, he had had two years to perfect huis system. DS has had about four weeks.

Jeez.

WorcestershireDan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 29, 2011, 11:59:52 pm by WorcestershireDan »
Remember it well Alonzo I was there and so proud How unlucky was Kitch at the end

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 30, 2011, 09:16:32 am by timdrfc »
Quote from: \"PDX_Rover\" post=195212
We have been in much worse positions under Sean O'Driscoll.... 2008/9 for example, when the season didn't bloody start until Boxing Day.

If Billy Sharp has gone to Southampton as seems to be the case, then it saddens me but let's move on.  As long as we get a good fee for him.

We're not in this division to make up the numbers.  We're here on merit.  I do not expect us to throw in thee towel and I'm interested to see how this new strategy plays out.

I see no reason why we cannot be another Wigan.

Well said

Some of our fans are an ungrateful bunch who think JR's & the boards money is there to be splashed on Rovers

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 30, 2011, 09:27:55 am by drfc1951 »
Quote from: \"WorcestershireDan\" post=195297
Remember it well Alonzo I was there and so proud How unlucky was Kitch at the end

Wasnt it Mike Elwiss who lobbed the keeper and hit the bar?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 30, 2011, 09:42:58 am by Wellred »
It was definitely Peter Kitchen

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 30, 2011, 09:46:01 am by drfc1951 »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=195327
It was definitely Peter Kitchen

My memories not very ggod.