Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:32:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John doesn't want to be here  (Read 6476 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: John doesn't want to be here
« Reply #30 on June 16, 2019, 09:33:57 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We have players that can score , but we lost good players and we haven’t stopped yet . Only those at the top know who’s coming in but not if they’ll succeed  only that they should .

Ehhhhhhhhhh

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 16, 2019, 09:52:54 pm by drfchound »
We have players that can score , but we lost good players and we haven’t stopped yet . Only those at the top know who’s coming in but not if they’ll succeed  only that they should .

A bit like when we signed players like Marquis, Rowe, Wilks and Kane then.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 16, 2019, 09:55:23 pm by Jonathan »
The most bizarre claim I’ve seen in this thread is that “McCann seldom says what he means.”

That’s complete nonsense, in my opinion.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 16, 2019, 09:55:58 pm by redarmy82 »
Some people are bizarre.
I really think this place would go into melt down if we signed someone for a substantial fee. It's like you want us to do everything on the cheap.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 16, 2019, 10:08:04 pm by sha66y »
Some people are bizarre.
I really think this place would go into melt down if we signed someone for a substantial fee. It's like you want us to do everything on the cheap.

Some ARE very bizarre
We won’t sign anyone for a substantial fee
We do do everything on the cheap...and it’s called “cutting ya cloth”

and we are getting good at it

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 16, 2019, 10:10:22 pm by redarmy82 »
Some people are bizarre.

Some ARE very bizarre

Would you rather spend a substantial fee on a proven goalscorer to replace Marquis, or take a punt at an unknown on a free?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 16, 2019, 10:30:08 pm by Jonathan »
Some people are bizarre.

Some ARE very bizarre

Would you rather spend a substantial fee on a proven goalscorer to replace Marquis, or take a punt at an unknown on a free?

Depends which one turned out to be the better player.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:37:07 pm by Jonathan »

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 16, 2019, 10:50:49 pm by jackthelad »
Some people are bizarre.

Some ARE very bizarre

I would rather us spend the Marquis money to replace him with somebody with atleast a half decent scoring record.

Fair enough,John turned out well but probably 1 in 8 free transfers turn out to be good goal scorers.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 16, 2019, 11:04:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Some people are bizarre.

Some ARE very bizarre

I would rather us spend the Marquis money to replace him with somebody with atleast a half decent scoring record.

Fair enough,John turned out well but probably 1 in 8 free transfers turn out to be good goal scorers.

You might think that, but the last five players to finish the season as top scorer for Rovers were actually all signed on free transfers - John Marquis, Andy Williams, Nathan Tyson, Chris Brown and Billy Paynter. You have to go back to Billy Sharp, our record signing, to find a top scorer we actually paid a transfer fee for.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 16, 2019, 11:15:42 pm by since-1969 »

Did you think Kane and Wilks would score what they did , even they didn’t . If they’d played average and scored less it would have been more of what was expected . I loved to be proved wrong but lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place . 

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 17, 2019, 12:19:18 am by JonWallsend »
'If truth be told John probably doesn't want to be here. He feels he deserves a crack at the championship and so do I to be honest"... And that is it... Can somebody enlighten me as to where the surprise, controversy, evidence of the club doing things on the cheap is in that statement.
It is possibly the single least controversial or unexpected  statement put out since Ken Avis's reminders that ' smoking is forbidden in the Main Stand'

I only hope the club have considered how they can possibly replace Marquis, whom they signed on a free, for anything under 2 million pounds.

If he's here great.if he's gone good luck to him. His departure will not be an indication of the clubs commitment to staying in this division, mounting a promotion challenge, or winning the division and  becoming an established championship club or however else people see the season and future unfolding.

It will merely indicate he wants to play at a higher level of football and we will need to get someone else in. That is how football works.

I hope McCann reads this forum because, if not, he probably isn't aware that in addition to possibly Marquis, we have lost Kane, Wilkes, Marosi and Butler from the play off semi final and they will need replacing.

Every pre season same old wailing and gnashing of teeth and I still can't press the ignore button.

We will have a team come the first game. Will it be capable of mounting a play off or promotion challenge, I honestly don't know. Then again my job doesn't depend on it, so I am happy to leave it to the man whose job does depend on us having a 'good' (whatever that may be) season.

I actually think now is the time to get rid of Marquis. We will obviously get a replacement in. Will they be as effective...who knows?

The last time we had a summer where our top goal scorer could have left for millions, and the manager wanted to cash in, was with Billy. We ended up selling him for considerably less, about 6 months later, by which time we had lost the most successful manager the club has had in recent times, had jumped into bed with a less than reputable agent and his experiment- which hindsight proved to be a financial and footballing disaster- and were witnessing the beginning of the unraveling of one time messiah, Chairman Ryan.

My advice to the doomsayers on this thread is, Let John go graciously. Don't take it personally. Believe in the manager and the club. Trust that we'll get a replacement in and turn up in August hoping it will be alright...All this angst and despair, just not worth it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:22:37 am by JonWallsend »

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 17, 2019, 12:30:39 am by johnny rovers »
Put it thisway, if we wanted to buy a 25 goal a season fow much would it cost us, more than 3 million

It would cost us next to nothing, just like it cost us next to nothing to get marquis on a free. Out of contract players are out there!!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 17, 2019, 07:03:09 am by dickos1 »
If we sold marquis for 2 million, there would be riots if we tried to replace him with a free transfer

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 17, 2019, 07:12:09 am by drfchound »
Some people are bizarre.

Some ARE very bizarre

You might think that, but the last five players to finish the season as top scorer for Rovers were actually all signed on free transfers - John Marquis, Andy Williams, Nathan Tyson, Chris Brown and Billy Paynter. You have to go back to Billy Sharp, our record signing, to find a top scorer we actually paid a transfer fee for.

So only one in six cost a fee, not the other way round.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 17, 2019, 07:19:00 am by drfchound »

Did you think Kane and Wilks would score what they did , even they didn’t . If they’d played average and scored less it would have been more of what was expected . I loved to be proved wrong but lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place .

You said that “only those at the top know who is coming in, but not if they will succeed”.
I would imagine that that phrase will apply to almost every player going to every club, so, no, I didn’t expect Kane or Wilks to score the goals they did do.
There is no reason that our incoming players this summer won’t do equally as well so I don’t understand why you are being so negative about our prospects.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 17, 2019, 07:33:08 am by DRNaith »
If we sold marquis for 2 million, there would be riots if we tried to replace him with a free transfer

No, there really wouldn't. There's be some that would be "livid" in a keyboard warrior kind of way, on this forum. Praise or Grumble might even gain a few more listeners, but riots? nah.

We may enter a spell of trying to find a good replacement, to the budget we've set ourselves, but that's all part of being a lower league fan isn't it? If you want constant success, support a club that throws money around to get the best players as that always guarantees success(!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 17, 2019, 07:41:03 am by since-1969 »
I want the club to fight to keep John by building a team around his goal scoring . If he like Copps he is  given preferential support or an above the average salary contract and pay him what he could earn at a Championship club  that would be sensible investment , it has to be better than just waiting to get an offer that tiggers his departure. JM has been honest and loyal to DRFC and has demonstrated that he’s a good fit for the club  and it shouldn’t be that it’s only money that can turn his head . I know budgets play are the big concern but it’s a per-annual concern that Rovers are under investing. JM has to the only player we’ve brought in for free and now selling for a huge amount for over 30 years . If what has been said that we don’t need to sell than what are we? Either the club truly believes this or it’s just flannel to put off the cheaper offers . I say put a contract worthy of him considering  staying and build his future around the club and the club doing the same .His scoring record proves he IS the real deal so give him one .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 17, 2019, 08:03:52 am by dickos1 »

No, there really wouldn't. There's be some that would be "livid" in a keyboard warrior kind of way, on this forum. Praise or Grumble might even gain a few more listeners, but riots? nah.

We may enter a spell of trying to find a good replacement, to the budget we've set ourselves, but that's all part of being a lower league fan isn't it? If you want constant success, support a club that throws money around to get the best players as that always guarantees success(!)

Wasn’t expecting anyone to think I meant literally riots.
McCann has already stated he has a list of players that we would go for is marquis left. There’s no way we would leave it until January before we sign a replacement. We’ve always been told by the board that money raised from football related business will be re invested into the first team squad so I don’t think it has anything to do with supporting clubs that throw money around or wanting guaranteed success

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 17, 2019, 08:21:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Thing is a free transfer might be the right way to go.  It's not just the pure fee is it but the whole package.  Equally Mccann has a finite budget but can use that how he wants, it won't be 1 out and the funds on his replacement, he'll spread it out.

I also have zero issue with what Mccann has said.  Marquis has earnt a chance at the next level and unfortunately we didn't make it.  We shouldn't criticise players for wanting to step up, earn more money and play at a bigger club, wouldn't we all do the same?

Unless you're Barcelona etc you probably have the same scenario with your best players, even Chelsea couldn't keep theirs.  John's been great for us but it feels like the right time for all to move on and I include the club in that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 17, 2019, 08:51:31 am by silent majority »
Put it thisway, if we wanted to buy a 25 goal a season fow much would it cost us, more than 3 million
Depends what level he scored those 25 goals.
How much have Ipswich paid Tranmere for Norwood ?  That is a question as I don’t know the answer.
1 million, 2 million ?

Free transfer.
Was he out of contract. Presume he must have been. Bet his wages are 10 grand a week then.

Yep.

Nope.
Nope to what SM? Free transfer or his wages?

His wages obviously.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:57:39 am by silent majority »

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 17, 2019, 08:57:03 am by jm291 »
Been brilliant for us and deserves a crack at the championship, think we all knew it was happening if we didn't go up. £2m+ is a good return on a free transfer that had scored a season high of 8 goals before joining us. Excited to have some money to spend on another striker, wonder who GM has in mind. Personally would like us to look at Christian Doidge.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 17, 2019, 09:06:34 am by Chris Black come back »
He is almost 27 and has scored one goal above League Two level in his entire career.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 17, 2019, 09:25:41 am by dickos1 »
It’s not really relevant how many goals they’ve scored at a particular level
Marquis hadn’t scored at this level when we signed him, Sharp hadn’t scored many at championship level,
Ipswich have just signed someone who’s only scored at league two level
When Peterborough signed players like Gayle, Marriott, asamobolonga his many goals had they scored at that level

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 17, 2019, 09:27:59 am by RugbyRover »
I think we need to make sure we sell him this summer, to the club who offer us the most, whatever amount that will be. It could be 1 million or 1.5, whatever it is we need to take it and move on. No way do we want this dragging on. His value will only decrease.

The club can then invest that money wherever they want. If previous windfalls are anything to go by that will be in the infrastructure of the club - stadium / training ground - rather than the actual playing squad, so don't expect any major signing to replace JM. It will be a young lad on loan.

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 17, 2019, 09:33:42 am by DRFC_TID_93 »
I only hope the club have considered how they can possibly replace Marquis, whom they signed on a free, for anything under 2 million pounds."

We aren't a championship side looking for a championship goalscorer though? If we received 2mil for JM from a championship side, I'd expect half of that to go on a new striker maximum, it'd be stupid business to go and spend 2 mil on a L2 striker, or a young striker from the PL or Champ with minimal experience for L1, we're a league 1 side, why would we spend the same as a Championship side? I don't get it?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 17, 2019, 10:01:31 am by Chris Black come back »
Marquis hadn’t scored at this level when we signed him, Sharp hadn’t scored many at championship level,
When Peterborough signed players like Gayle, Marriott, asamobolonga his many goals had they scored at that level

We didn’t sign Marquis at 27 though. Likewise Sharp. Hence me mentioning his age.

Now it could be that a player is a late bloomer (Ian Wright, Rickie Lambert) but the odds are that if you have played 95pc of your career below League One level and you are 27 in August, there is probably a reason for that.

Also, a two year contract would put them at 29 when we come round to considering their future next. How many Championship teams would take a major punt on a 29 year old for good money (which we would want) even if he had a massive success in those two years.

Bear in mind also that Marquis and Sharp had come from larger clubs and were finding their feet at smaller clubs - whereas this guy (who is merely a case in point at 27 having played the vast bulk of his career at below League One level - big difference).

The Peterborough players you cite were likewise not 27. They were a world away from that scenario.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:03:47 am by Chris Black come back »

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 17, 2019, 10:10:49 am by DRNaith »

Wasn’t expecting anyone to think I meant literally riots.
McCann has already stated he has a list of players that we would go for is marquis left. There’s no way we would leave it until January before we sign a replacement. We’ve always been told by the board that money raised from football related business will be re invested into the first team squad so I don’t think it has anything to do with supporting clubs that throw money around or wanting guaranteed success

I don't think we would see any kind of uproar or riot, other than the some people on here who will complain to people who play no part in the decision making process

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 17, 2019, 10:13:11 am by Draytonian III »
Conor Washington is a free agent at the minute and ex Peterborough

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on June 17, 2019, 10:20:08 am by dickos1 »

We didn’t sign Marquis at 27 though. Likewise Sharp. Hence me mentioning his age.

Now it could be that a player is a late bloomer (Ian Wright, Rickie Lambert) but the odds are that if you have played 95pc of your career below League One level and you are 27 in August, there is probably a reason for that.

Also, a two year contract would put them at 29 when we come round to considering their future next. How many Championship teams would take a major punt on a 29 year old for good money (which we would want) even if he had a massive success in those two years.

Bear in mind also that Marquis and Sharp had come from larger clubs and were finding their feet at smaller clubs - whereas this guy (who is merely a case in point at 27 having played the vast bulk of his career at below League One level - big difference).

The Peterborough players you cite were likewise not 27. They were a world away from that scenario.

Ipswich have just signed Norwood who is around 28 and played the majority of his football in non league.
And they’re amongst the favourites to win league one.
If the manager rates a player I’m almost certain they don’t just look at what level they’ve scored goals at.
Every manager will think they can get the best out of them

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 17, 2019, 10:55:01 am by RugbyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012