Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:25:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Earn big money elsewhere  (Read 3556 times)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
Earn big money elsewhere
« on June 16, 2019, 10:18:12 pm by redarmy82 »
I'm surprised no one has picked up on this comment from Mccan.

Basically says, sign for us, play well then in two years move to a bigger club for more money.

Whilst I know we aren't a massive club, this hardly fills me with confidence that we are trying to build a squad capable of sustaining Championship football, which is suppoaidly the aim.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: Earn big money elsewhere
« Reply #1 on June 16, 2019, 10:26:23 pm by vaya »

Basically says, sign for us, play well then in two years move to a bigger club for more money.

Whilst I know we aren't a massive club, this hardly fills me with confidence that we are trying to build a squad capable of sustaining Championship football, which is suppoaidly the aim.

I'm no expert, but I'm assuming we'll get more players in to replace the ones that go, rather than field a decreasing amount like an 80's slasher pic.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 16, 2019, 10:30:46 pm by redarmy82 »

I'm no expert, but I'm assuming we'll get more players in to replace the ones that go, rather than field a decreasing amount like an 80's slasher pic.

That isn't the point. He's basically saying anyone that comes good, we would just ship out, we wouldn't even try and keep them, as they'd want more money, which we wouldn't want to pay.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 16, 2019, 10:33:09 pm by redarmy82 »
At the end of the day, better players cost more money, and get paid more. That's the way football is. If we are deciding we aren't going to go that way, then we've got a tough time ahead. Players and agents will go where the money is, not because they want to play for us.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 16, 2019, 10:35:03 pm by Jonathan »

That isn't the point. He's basically saying anyone that comes good, we would just ship out, we wouldn't even try and keep them, as they'd want more money, which we wouldn't want to pay.

That’s one way of paraphrasing it.

If we consistently bring in players that do so well here that other clubs want to pay big money for their services then I will be highly delighted as it would mean we would be thriving by definition.

The blueprint wouldn’t work at all if they were bang average, would it?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 16, 2019, 10:35:53 pm by vaya »

Is he, or is that just what you want to read into it, as you've basically extrapolated an entire future transfer policy in a single sweeping generalisation from a single quote.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 16, 2019, 10:38:23 pm by redarmy82 »

That’s one way of paraphrasing it.

If we consistently bring in players that do so well here that other clubs want to pay big for their services then I will be highly delighted as it would mean we would be thriving by definition.

The blueprint wouldn’t work at all if they were bang average, would it?

That's not how I see it. He's trying to get players in on the cheap with a hope of a big pay day elsewhere, while our competitors are probably offering better terms.

You cannot expect to get quality without paying for it.

Ill say no more on the matter, until the end of the season, and if I'm wrong, then so be it. But I've heard enough from the departing players personally to know they're trying to do everything on a shoe string.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 16, 2019, 10:39:42 pm by vaya »
At the end of the day, better players cost more money, and get paid more. That's the way football is. If we are deciding we aren't going to go that way, then we've got a tough time ahead. Players and agents will go where the money is, not because they want to play for us.

You're contradicting yourself. You've just said players go where the money is, then criticised a transfer policy because it supposedly provides players a stepping stone to more money.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 16, 2019, 10:42:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
How does all this fit with a club that is supposed to be trying to get to the Championship?

Last season's team got to the play-off's and we've just let loads go, including half the first team. I genuinely thought we were going to build on what we had last season, not decimate it. Ah well, I suppose someone must know what they're doing!

All will become a lot clearer when we see the level of player coming in, if and when they do, of course.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 16, 2019, 10:43:22 pm by vaya »
How does all this fit with a club that is supposed to be trying to get to the Championship?

Last season's team got to the play-off's and we've just let loads go, including half the first team. I genuinely thought we were going to build on what we had last season, not decimate it. Ah well, I suppose someone must know what they're doing!

All will become a lot clearer when we see the level of player coming in, if and when they do, of course.

Don't worry Alan.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 16, 2019, 10:52:49 pm by Jonathan »

I suppose it fits in with getting to the championship by recruiting players that are good enough to be wanted by big clubs. Because if they’re good enough to be wanted by big clubs then they must be doing well here.

I agree we don’t want to decimate everything from last season. But this is football and players do come and go. There’s a long way until the start of the season yet.

“If and when” players come in you say. Either you just mean “when” or you’re deliberately having a dig at the current position. Because you know full well that players will be coming in. We have this charade every year.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 16, 2019, 11:07:29 pm by graingrover »
We have not really seen yet the fruits of the development strategy either .This coming season we will have an U23 team playing in an appropriate league and now have at least a dozen of our own youngsters in there .We have not had this in the past at least not in such a structured set up. A squad of 18 plus these youngsters is a sensible approach for sustainability.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 16, 2019, 11:09:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Unlike some of our other recent managers, Grant McCann lives in the real world and I'm glad of it. What he is saying that young players should want to come here and perform well because it can be a springboard for them. It is no different from most other clubs and let's  be honest, it has happened to us before whilst we were successful. Remember our excellent League One Play Off winning side? The bulk of those players were eventually sold to bigger clubs because of how well they did for us - Wellens, Mills, Stock, Green (okay he wasn't sold), add Sharp as well. It's the nature of the game but I'd rather these players came here and had success as Doncaster Rovers players than not even come here in the first place because they don't see it as somewhere to benefit their careers.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 16, 2019, 11:12:50 pm by since-1969 »

Sounds a bit down market or even desperate. I can’t see players taking anything too serious if there idea is just to keep in the shop window and your reps canvassing your name around every time the transfer window opens .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 16, 2019, 11:17:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Is it June?

I'm guessing it must be June.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 16, 2019, 11:20:18 pm by Jonathan »

Sounds a bit down market or even desperate. I can’t see players taking anything too serious if there idea is just to keep in the shop window and your reps canvassing your name around every time the transfer window opens .

Just disregard the actual words spoken by McCann, you clearly have. Why don’t you two write your own transfer strategy for us and we can all celebrate by killing ourselves.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 16, 2019, 11:23:51 pm by Retdon1 »
We have not really seen yet the fruits of the development strategy either .This coming season we will have an U23 team playing in an appropriate league and now have at least a dozen of our own youngsters in there .We have not had this in the past at least not in such a structured set up. A squad of 18 plus these youngsters is a sensible approach for sustainability.

Only having a squad of 18 senior players is a risk for me. You only need a few injuries and suspensions and were down to a bench full of unproven kids. Last season we had a squad of 20/21 players and had a lack of options on the bench on a number of occasions.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 16, 2019, 11:36:46 pm by Drover »
Problem is,when you have a good season,such as we've had this season and you reach the play-offs,But fail to get promotion,unless you offer big increases to them to stay,your likely to lose or at least rumoured to lose some,if not most of your better players,it worse than losing your better players when you get relegated.Even the promoted teams often lose their better players,unless they are prepared to offer massive pay rises or contracts.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 16, 2019, 11:50:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
“If and when” players come in you say. Either you just mean “when” or you’re deliberately having a dig at the current position. Because you know full well that players will be coming in. We have this charade every year.

I don't know anything of the kind, Jon, as my crystal ball is non existent. I'm joking of course, much like your, I'm assuming, tongue in cheek comment. I was referring to the level of player coming in, if you care to read exactly what I wrote. Nobody's having a dig at anything, just really observing what has happened, to date, this summer, that is we've lost about 13 players and, according to GM, we're probably going to lose our 26 goal striker next. So, we are going to have our work cut out finding 26 goals from someone as well as, was it 16 from Wilks? And all that on the basis of "we're not going to pay you much, either".

Like I say, let's wait and see what happens.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 17, 2019, 12:00:58 am by Jonathan »
I think I’ll return here in August. The relentless transfer related panic and negativity is exhausting.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 17, 2019, 06:00:14 am by PDX_Rover »
That’s the reality of our club though based on where we are in the big scheme of things. As we progress so we’ll become that bigger club... Ots a measured approach.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 17, 2019, 06:45:13 am by grayx »
Isn”t this what the likes of Sheff U have been doing for years?.
Look at the players they have had, developed then sold on for big money ( brooks, maguire, walker) and look where theyve ended up.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 17, 2019, 06:47:40 am by roversdude »
 :that:
I think I’ll return here in August. The relentless transfer related panic and negativity is exhausting.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 17, 2019, 07:00:46 am by dickos1 »
Isn”t this what the likes of Sheff U have been doing for years?.
Look at the players they have had, developed then sold on for big money ( brooks, maguire, walker) and look where theyve ended up.

That is slightly different though as these are players that came through their academy and not players they signed for their first team

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 17, 2019, 07:37:01 am by DRNaith »
The draw that Rovers have to offer players is one they've had ever since I've been supporting them, and that's one of a small squad.

Sign for us and you have a good chance of getting into the starting eleven, go elsewhere and it will be a bigger battle, are you prepared to take that risk?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 17, 2019, 08:34:36 am by Chris Black come back »
Particularly given Grant wants a tight, 18 man senior squad.

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 17, 2019, 09:23:53 am by DRFC_TID_93 »
People talking about 'decimating the squad' tho, look at this possible side..
Lawlor
Halliday Wright Anderson Andrew
Crawford Blair Whiteman
Copps Marquis? Middleton?

Most of those players played at least 80% of the games last season, Middleton replacing Wilks is one I'm happy with and Halliday is a natural RB with good potential, yeah the midfield needs work, and the bench will need filling etc.. But for me, we aren't that far off a side capable of performing equally well as last season and when has GM let us down in this first season? I for one haven't had this much faith in a Rovers Manager since the SO'D promotion season. Yes Marquis may need replacing, but in Grant we trust and I'll bet my money he's got replacements lined up

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 17, 2019, 09:26:46 am by Alan Southstand »
Has Whiteman gone?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 17, 2019, 09:29:35 am by DonnyOsmond »
Marquis joined us for nothing, had a couple of good seasons and will get his big move and make us hopefully a couple million. If we carry on that I have no issue.

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 17, 2019, 09:35:20 am by DRFC_TID_93 »
Has Whiteman gone?

Cheers. Edited as you said that, totally slipped my mind but helps to prove my point.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012