Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:26:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Interest in Whiteman  (Read 4463 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Interest in Whiteman
« on June 17, 2019, 10:03:27 am by Dare to dream! »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-talks-ben-whiteman-future-and-interest-in-midfielder-159008

Why are we making interest in our players public? I can understand Marquis as we need to drum up interest to raise his price.

Whiteman interest should have been kept private imo, this will only interest more clubs. Makes me think that we do want to sell.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Interest in Whiteman
« Reply #1 on June 17, 2019, 10:19:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
You think clubs increase their interest because it's in the free press?

It makes zero difference at all.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 17, 2019, 10:28:34 am by Retdon1 »
Again this is exactly what I was told last week. Three championship clubs, two which are nearer to his native Lancashire have expressed an interest in him

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 17, 2019, 10:32:31 am by redarmy82 »
Preston have been interested for a while.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 17, 2019, 10:35:31 am by Dare to dream! »

Sky, BBC and newspapers pick up these stories from local outlets and run with them. This will be a snowball for wider coverage.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 17, 2019, 10:50:07 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Sky, BBC and newspapers pick up these stories from local outlets and run with them. This will be a snowball for wider coverage.

Of course it will, but not more likely for him to move.  I doubt bigger clubs are sat there thinking "oh, never heard of him".

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 17, 2019, 11:26:38 am by Retdon1 »

Preston, Blackburn and Hull were the sides I was told although Hull might not be now Adkins has left.... I’m told the price Preston and Blackburn have spoke about is half what we want for him.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 17, 2019, 12:42:39 pm by Drover »

No it does'nt increase the interest of already interested clubs,BUT what it can do,is spread the word further to other clubs that might not have had him on their radar,and make more clubs interested which can mean we get a better offer for him.Thats why,going public like this is seen by some fans as a signal we are wanting to sell some players.It may also just be a case of,we don't want to sell,but we know the players want to leave to progress and we want to get as much as we can for them.Im not saying these options are right or wrong for the club,just thats how I see it may be.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:45:57 pm by Drover »

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 17, 2019, 12:50:59 pm by northern soul »

Preston, Blackburn and Hull were the sides I was told although Hull might not be now Adkins has left.... I’m told the price Preston and Blackburn have spoke about is half what we want for him.

So have Huddersfield, when it became clear they were going to be relegated, so I was told.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 17, 2019, 12:53:57 pm by mushRTID »
Worth considering blades likely have a sell on. So we might have to give some of the fee away.

I remember Wilder saying they had protected themselves if Ben develops as they thought he would.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 17, 2019, 01:03:36 pm by godlike1 »
sounds like what ever we get for either him or JM will not be spent on player wages or transfer fee as the latest soundbites from GM to me makes it sound like we are looking at the development squad and frees from lower league.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 17, 2019, 01:15:34 pm by vaya »
Worth considering blades likely have a sell on. So we might have to give some of the fee away.

I remember Wilder saying they had protected themselves if Ben develops as they thought he would.

I recall similar as well.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 17, 2019, 01:16:34 pm by Retdon1 »
sounds like what ever we get for either him or JM will not be spent on player wages or transfer fee as the latest soundbites from GM to me makes it sound like we are looking at the development squad and frees from lower league.

You must have been reading totally different stuff from the rest of us

Here’s Mccans latest quote....
“If they do go, and I'm not expecting Ben to go, then the money will be reinvested into the squad."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:19:12 pm by Retdon1 »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 17, 2019, 01:57:56 pm by PDX_Rover »

You must have been reading totally different stuff from the rest of us

Here’s Mccans latest quote....
“If they do go, and I'm not expecting Ben to go, then the money will be reinvested into the squad."

Exactly. Godlike1 writing his/her own news...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 17, 2019, 02:36:27 pm by RoversAlias »

Your imagination is running away from you then, because not one word of that can be inferred from the reports in the Free Press and indeed McCann has said things that suggest the opposite is true, as noted above.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 17, 2019, 03:21:05 pm by Ldr »
Ffs op whinging for the sake of whinging

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 17, 2019, 04:03:21 pm by godlike1 »
Let's see, he talks about a smaller squad with everyone earning the same. Then he talks about reinvesting money from sales back into the squad.

What is it going to be? I genuinely cannot work out what the strategy is

Don't get me wrong I like GM but he's starting to sound more like Dean Saunders everyday with these little clippets in the press......... OK not that bad but it does need to stop

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 17, 2019, 04:05:55 pm by Retdon1 »
Let's see, he talks about a smaller squad with everyone earning the same. Then he talks about reinvesting money from sales back into the squad.

Don't get me wrong I like GM but he's starting to sound more like Dean Saunders everyday with these little clippets in the press......... OK not that bad but it does need to stop

Maybe he’s playing the media game, who knows

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 17, 2019, 04:11:53 pm by silent majority »

Are you sure it's him that's confusing, or that you're reading things into what he says that don't really exist?

The philosophy at the club has been to have a smaller, but higher quality squad for some years now, it's not new. Nor is having a balanced approach to salaries, that has always been engrained in the club for a few years too.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 17, 2019, 07:37:23 pm by Dare to dream! »
Ffs op whinging for the sake of whinging

Whereas your post...

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 17, 2019, 07:39:06 pm by redarmy82 »

Are you sure it's him that's confusing, or that you're reading things into what he says that don't really exist?

The philosophy at the club has been to have a smaller, but higher quality squad for some years now, it's not new. Nor is having a balanced approach to salaries, that has always been engrained in the club for a few years too.

What happened to the five year plan of being a sustainable Championship team? Isn't next year the fourth year of the masterplan?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 17, 2019, 07:41:55 pm by RobTheRover »

When he says "It's like fighting Mike Tyson three times in a week" I'll agree with you. Until then, Saunders wins on the bonkersathon machine, hands down.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 17, 2019, 08:57:33 pm by drfchound »

What happened to the five year plan of being a sustainable Championship team? Isn't next year the fourth year of the masterplan?

Yep, so if next year is the fourth year it hasn't failed yet has it.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 17, 2019, 08:59:50 pm by redarmy82 »

And one season in the Championship, if we got there, would make us sustainable?

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 17, 2019, 09:46:58 pm by jackthelad »
It would be a massive massive loss if we lost Whiteman, we simply cannot afford too.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 17, 2019, 09:48:00 pm by drfchound »

And one season in the Championship, if we got there, would make us sustainable?

I don’t know, do you?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 17, 2019, 11:30:30 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
For us to be sustainable in the championship is as high an aim as Rovers could have. And that's what it is, an aim, one that we are on track with.

We've clearly improved over recent seasons. Step by step, and even steps back and forward, we are getting there. If someone here is questioning this, rather than being blandly dismissive of the club, come out with some suggestions of how to get there quicker with sustainability.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012