Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:22:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Deja Vue  (Read 1769 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Deja Vue
« on June 18, 2019, 12:34:43 pm by wing commander »
This time last year the threads on this board were awash with concerns about the budget,not signing players and the concerns we were going backwards and relegation was on the cards.The end result was we had a great season and for me punched above our weight with the quality of players we had...

Now here we are again, worried about all the things we were worried about this time last year.Social media is awash with it.Now obviously a lot of our success was down to the quality of Loan players we managed to bring into the club.I don't think many would argue that without Kane,Wilks and Downing we wouldn't have finished top 6..

The contracted squad we had then without these players wasn't good enough to even finish mid table in our first year back.Rowe,Andrews,Butler,Marosi etc etc were all part of that squad.

I appreciate that people are concerned that these players have now gone onto pastures new and so far we've only officially confirmed one new signing.However for me I'm actually quite excited going forward.GM has proved that he has a decent eye for a player,he's proved that.This is now his opportunity to go out and sign the players that fit his criteria rather than trying to mould the ones he inherited on contracts..

I've got every faith that when time rolls on when we go again that we will have a team every bit as good as last years but our actual squad of contracted players will be better than last years..Of course time will tell but for me GM has earned the right and if he tells us not to panic about it and plans are in place then that's good enough for me..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Deja Vue
« Reply #1 on June 18, 2019, 01:14:03 pm by idler »
I agree inasmuch as we haven’t got a clue what GM and the board are doing in the background. Worrying doesn’t change anything. There is nothing wrong with being apprehensive or concerned if that is your nature but let’s not into meltdown every few days.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 18, 2019, 02:22:07 pm by RobTheRover »
Interesting WingCo, for me the upturn in last year's finish was all about the manager putting round pegs in round holes and playing to our strengths rather than a bizarre insistence on a formation that clearly didnt work and no plan B.

The players you mention were clearly good enough to perform to that standard, so the rest takes little figuring out.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 18, 2019, 04:01:53 pm by wing commander »
  Fair points Rob,i just think that people have sentimental attachment to players and think they are better than what they actually are.

Take the loan players out of it and the players away on loan and not featuring and we've lost Marosi,Andrews,Butler and Rowe.A lot of people thought Marosi wasn't good enough and wanted Lawlor in goal when fit.Andrews was decent but nothing great and Rowe while one of the most naturally gifted players we had didn't have a great season apart from the odd game..The only one I was disappointed with was Butler who I really enjoyed watching but he's at the age were he's only going to decline...

I just don't think it's anything other than a opportunity.Although since the OP the GM to Hull rumour has surfaced now that would change things..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 18, 2019, 10:33:25 pm by silent majority »
I agree inasmuch as we haven’t got a clue what GM and the board are doing in the background. Worrying doesn’t change anything. There is nothing wrong with being apprehensive or concerned if that is your nature but let’s not into meltdown every few days.

Idler, maybe my word doesn't mean as much these days, but I've posted on several occasions saying that the club are extremely busy in the background. GM has been interviewing players for the positions he needs to fill, and usually it's a good 3 or 4 players before he commits. It'll be a different picture by the end of this week.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 18, 2019, 11:02:15 pm by idler »
That was what I was trying to imply Martin. If the manager and board are negotiating but unable to report on the state of play why should any fan assume that nothing is happening?
GM is paid to worry for us and it is the board that will act (or not) on his skill at locating the right players for his team.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 18, 2019, 11:09:18 pm by silent majority »
That was what I was trying to imply Martin. If the manager and board are negotiating but unable to report on the state of play why should any fan assume that nothing is happening?
GM is paid to worry for us and it is the board that will act (or not) on his skill at locating the right players for his team.

Yep, agreed.

GM locates the players, interviews them himself to make sure they're the right 'material', and then GB takes over. I also think everybody forgets just how good a talent spotter GM is. When he joined us last year he was given a transfer fund so that he could sign new players, and he didn't want to spend it because he said the players we had were good enough. Remember that? Remember the fuss certain individuals created on this forum because they didn't believe that story? I do.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012