Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 07:43:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager / Fit  (Read 1722 times)

philsky

• Forum Member
Manager / Fit
« on May 07, 2024, 03:38:56 pm by philsky »

Listened to an interesting talk sport chat about certain managers fitting certain clubs.

Had me thinking about SOD and now McCann; although their footballing philosophies were different they both seemed to fit perfectly with our club. Even when both had awful runs the fans never seemed to stop backing them.

We've had some managers who seemed to be the wrong choice from day one.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Manager / Fit
« Reply #1 on May 07, 2024, 05:58:58 pm by PDX_Rover »
Agree old mate. Rovers and Grant just “works.” Funny how it happens.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 07, 2024, 06:14:59 pm by DRNaith »
Recently we've had men in the position who were not experienced managers. What I like about having Grant in post, is that if the results aren't coming, as decent manager, we can trust him to sort it. With the other recent managers, there's always been the question of whether they are the issue.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 07, 2024, 06:25:35 pm by jmt23 »
I sort of agree, but with SOD it was different, he was obviously very different. We all had to adapt to his philosophy, when we and more importantly the players did, we were unbelievable Jeff.

Mcann is just a very good manager, certainly above average. He looks from the outside (and a little bit of insider knowledge) to be a very good man manager, but changes his style of management to suit the differing personalities. He also relies on a very good coaching team - never underestimate that, was SOD ever as good without ROK?

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 07, 2024, 06:56:16 pm by Petche »
What I like about Grant is his honesty, no bull**** no baffling post match comments, just tells it how it is and fully prepared to take the blame if it goes wrong.
Stick with him and we'll get back to the Championship.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 07, 2024, 08:15:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yes. He’s real alright. Love that about him.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 07, 2024, 09:56:41 pm by streathamdave »
We don't play in triangles like we did under SOD, but passing and closing and running are atill very much part of this game. In many respects (although clearly not the same) I think Mccann is closest we have had to SOD. Liked the way Chung tried to play it back in the day on limited resources. What Penney achieved should not be underestimated either, although Walker played a huge part in finding talent back then that helped as well.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 07, 2024, 10:00:18 pm by Campsall rover »
I sort of agree, but with SOD it was different, he was obviously very different. We all had to adapt to his philosophy, when we and more importantly the players did, we were unbelievable Jeff.

Mcann is just a very good manager, certainly above average. He looks from the outside (and a little bit of insider knowledge) to be a very good man manager, but changes his style of management to suit the differing personalities. He also relies on a very good coaching team - never underestimate that, was SOD ever as good without ROK?
ROK was as important as SOD if not more. He was a very very very good coach. He improved ave players and made them into very good ones.
SOD was never really successful without him by his side.

Think the same to a certain degree with GM and his side kick Cliff Byrne. He has a massive part in the success we have had with them at the helm.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:02:51 pm by Campsall rover »

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 07, 2024, 10:09:31 pm by RoversInSpain »
Goes back through the ages….Clough needed Taylor

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 08, 2024, 03:11:57 pm by RobTheRover »
no baffling post match comments

How do I know you were thinking of Darren "pelanty" Moore then?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 08, 2024, 03:45:51 pm by Lifelong supporter »
We don't play in triangles like we did under SOD, but passing and closing and running are atill very much part of this game. In many respects (although clearly not the same) I think Mccann is closest we have had to SOD. Liked the way Chung tried to play it back in the day on limited resources. What Penney achieved should not be underestimated either, although Walker played a huge part in finding talent back then that helped as well.

Surely you don't mean Mickey Walker?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 08, 2024, 10:53:59 pm by TheFunk »
Mickey Walker the biggest fraud in football. You could fit what he knows on a postage stamp.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2024, 07:58:36 am by Spud »
Mickey Walker the biggest fraud in football. You could fit what he knows on a postage stamp.

Bigger fraud than Darren Moore?

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2024, 09:09:18 pm by Goole Rover »
I disagree he was the man behind Penny.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2024, 09:28:26 pm by danumdon »
Its no coincidence that successful managers have always had their own personal sounding boards, people who they explicitly believe in and trust their judgement.

McCann has Byrne, and we all benefit from this, long may it be the case.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012