Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:53:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lewis hamiliton is quite the champion  (Read 6740 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Lewis hamiliton is quite the champion
« Reply #30 on December 07, 2020, 08:30:08 am by normal rules »
Interesting to see the rookie Russell get not only a flat but a nightmare in the pits.
Odds of that happening ?
#otherforces at work?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 07, 2020, 09:55:05 am by Filo »
Interesting to see the rookie Russell get not only a flat but a nightmare in the pits.
Odds of that happening ?
#otherforces at work?

Bottas also had a nightmare in the pits, taking his tyres off to put the same ones back on after putting a set of Russells on the front and then realising Russell hat a set of Bottas tyres on so they had to bring him in again, putting softs on, he was murdering the field got up to second and reeling Perez in to suffer a punture

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 07, 2020, 02:19:18 pm by Draytonian III »
I think with Russell doing so well a lot could be said about it being the car not the driver in a lot of cases.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 07, 2020, 02:26:49 pm by Filo »
I think with Russell doing so well a lot could be said about it being the car not the driver in a lot of cases.

Russell is a Mercedes protege, he’s a very talented driver, he’ll be World Champion one day

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 07, 2020, 02:38:41 pm by Donnywolf »

I reckon (and have said so in #Reply 25 above) the Car IS important but of course Russell is the Reserve driver for Merc and he was the last one to use Hams Car after Abu Dhabi last Season so he is not stranger to it

Also I hope the driver input can be brought to the front and centre eventually as the sport is equalised by Liberty (USA) who know their product will be improved by making Teams run Cars as alike as they can possibly make them.

I look forward to that day I must say - and if / when it does come there should be no one driver winning 7 Titles as Ham has done

This is the F1 equivalent in USA and look at the number of different Champions. Sure Scott Dixon has 6 but it has taken him 17 Seasons to do it - and a rae hat trick there by Dario Franchitti (Scottish)

Thats got to be better surely ?

Driver Total Seasons
New Zealand Scott Dixon 6 2003, 2008, 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020
United Kingdom Dario Franchitti 4 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
United States Sam Hornish Jr. 3 2001, 2002, 2006
United States Josef Newgarden 2 2017, 2019
United States Scott Sharp 1 1996
United States Buzz Calkins 1996
United States Tony Stewart 1997
Sweden Kenny Bräck 1998
United States Greg Ray 1999
United States Buddy Lazier 2000
Brazil Tony Kanaan 2004
United Kingdom Dan Wheldon 2005
United States Ryan Hunter-Reay 2012
Australia Will Power 2014
France Simon Pagenaud 2016
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:46:56 pm by Donnywolf »

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 07, 2020, 02:49:36 pm by keyser_soze »

Yeah, Russell isn't some bum they have taken off the streets, he got the drive as he is next in line for the seat when Bottas or Hamilton move aside, in deference to Vandoorne who is the reserve drivers and ready to drop in at short notice.

He is a Merc junior rather than reserve driver, and contracted to Williams. He is obviously well thought of and the fact the title was won and they had a week  to arrange contracts it was a unique opportunity to try him out. That said I must admit I was surprised just how competitive he was.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:54:33 pm by keyser_soze »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 07, 2020, 03:40:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He won f2 quite convincingly though so quite clear he's talented. He's massively outperformed his Williams for nearly 2 seasons. Just a shame he so far seems to have zero luck.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 07, 2020, 04:02:57 pm by keyser_soze »
I'm sure his time will come, but being a Mercedes junior doesn't guarantee you the seat, look to Werhlein and Ocon who came and went while waiting for a seat. At least Ocon found a way back in with Renault and nice to see him on the podium yesterday.

Just shows how many talented drivers must fall through the net by just not quite getting in the right car at the right time. That is a skill in itself.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 07, 2020, 05:47:55 pm by Donnywolf »
I reckon he is nailed on for Mercerdes - and tere are a few scenarios that will lead to that but only 1 I can think of that will prevent it in 2022

He will still get the Seat at some point though

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 07, 2020, 06:24:47 pm by selby »
  Well the Ausies have said for a number of years we are good at sport where you sit on your backside.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 07, 2020, 08:48:02 pm by IDM »

On the other hand, Russell as driving a car he didn’t physically fit into properly, and was beating Bottas who should be miles more familiar with the car, before the tyre shenanigans.

If it was just about the car, Bottas would walk the GP in Hamilton’s absence.

Russell isn’t the Mercedes reserve driver,  it if they are looking at him for the future that was a damned good interview.!!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 08, 2020, 06:29:24 pm by sha66y »
Can’t stand Hamilton and am waiting.....( taps fingers)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 10, 2020, 09:27:58 pm by Metalmicky »
I see Hamilton has decided he is able to compete in the next (final?) race........ he must be looking over his shoulder..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55264873

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 10, 2020, 09:48:58 pm by IDM »
With 7 world championships behind him, I doubt he’s worried much about a bit of decent competition.!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on December 11, 2020, 06:00:46 am by Donnywolf »
I see Hamilton has decided he is able to compete in the next (final?) race........ he must be looking over his shoulder..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55264873

Pure speculation by me - maybe Ham wants one last Race ? (Unlikely) In reality he can do more Seasons - break more records but both are speculation of course

At the moment he has no fear of George Russell who would probably be allowed to compete against Ham on an equal basis. It seems the way that Merc do it - because Ham is as good as it gets and GR is heading up that way.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012