Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:16:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cantley Park - Football Foundation Press Release  (Read 3977 times)

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
Cantley Park - Football Foundation Press Release
« on February 11, 2011, 12:55:54 pm by NathanDRFC »
http://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/media-centre/press-releases/?EntryId15=25915

Deputy Mayor to open new sports facility press release
The opening of a new state-of-the-art sports facility at Cantley Park in Doncaster will take place on Thursday 24 February at 2pm at Aintree Avenue Cantley DN4 6HR.

The facility will be officially opened by The Deputy Mayor of Doncaster, Councillor Patricia Schofield.  Other guests will include the manager and players from Doncaster Rovers FC and Doncaster Rovers Belles, the Football Foundation, Sheffield & Hallamshire FA, Bessacarr FC and local sports clubs.

Local residents and clubs will benefit from the new sports pavilion, multi-use games area, and grass football pitches. The new pavilion incorporates eight changing rooms with showers and toilets, referees rooms, a reception area, and a community room with a kitchen. It incorporates some of the latest sustainable features such as high efficiency condensing boilers, air source heat pumps and mechanical ventilation heat recovery.

The pavilion will be the club base for Bessacarr FC, as well as several adult Sunday League teams. The new football provisions will see participation numbers dramatically increase, forecasts suggest that the number of male users will climb by 268% and women users by 713%. The improved site will also be a resource for other park users, particularly cricket teams and golfers, who can access an 18-hole pitch and putt course.

The project was funded with the help of Section 106 money, liveability funds and a £479,984 grant from the Football Foundation who are also contributing towards running costs. Funded by the Premier League, The FA, and the Government via Sport England, the Football Foundation is the nation’s largest sports charity. Launched in July 2000, the Foundation has so far supported around 8,000 community sports projects worth £945m.

The Deputy Mayor of Doncaster, Councillor Patricia Schofield, said: “The new pavilion has replaced a very outdated 1950s building which was beyond repair.

“This facility will be an invaluable resource for the local community and help encourage people of all ages to get involved in sport.”

Nathan Batchelor, Bessacarr FC Club Secretary, said: \"The new facilities at Cantley Park will continue to help aid development for Bessacarr Football Club.

“Since the plans were approved the Club has been able to achieve the prestigious FA Charter Standard Award at Community Level, which is held by less than 500 football clubs across England.

“From a nomadic existence to having a permanent basis the new facilities will make it easier for the club to grow and develop.

“It will help establish the Club as being part of the community and will hopefully encourage the wider community to get involved in volunteering.

“Cantley Park will create a positive community atmosphere with people of all ages, able, disabled, male or female playing in facilities appropriate of the 21st Century allowing the club to expand to meet the needs of the local community.”

Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation, said: “On behalf of everyone at the Football Foundation, I would like to congratulate Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council and the Sheffield and Hallamshire County FA for all the hard work that has been invested into securing this grant.

“Since 2000, we have made a huge impact on community sports facility provision right across the country. This would not have been possible without the significant investment made by our funding partners, the Premier League, The FA and the Government. In Yorkshire alone we have supported 735 projects worth £84.2m.”

Ends
notes to editor
Section 106 money is paid to the council by developers and ring-fenced to be spent on recreational facilities in the immediate vicinity. It cannot be added to the general council coffers and spent on other services.

Liveability funding was an external government grant to improve parks and open spaces. This funding was allocated to priority sites, of which Cantley Park was identified as one.

Bessacarr FC was formed in 1981 and is a progressive and developmentally focused club, which received recognition at the Sheffield and Hallamshire County FA annual awards for FA Charter Standard Development Club of the Year, FA Charter Standard Administrator of the Year and the FA Football National Workforce Award.

For more information please contact:

•Laurence Summers on 01302 862353 or laurence.summers@doncaster.gov.uk
Write to: Doncaster Council, Floor 1, Council House, College Road, Doncaster, DN1 3AJ
•Rory Carroll on 0845 345 4555 ext 4280 or rory.carroll@footballfoundation.org.uk

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Cantley Park - Football Foundation Press Release
« Reply #1 on February 24, 2011, 05:22:57 pm by NathanDRFC »
What a life the Training Ground Staff have - Invited guests at Cantley Park new pavillion

Photo from Steve Utley

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 24, 2011, 05:28:28 pm by Mike_F »
Quote from: \"NathanDRFC\" post=140272
http://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/media-centre/press-releases/?EntryId15=25915

The improved site will also be a resource for other park users, particularly cricket teams and golfers, who can access an 18-hole pitch and putt course.

Is that still there? Last time I went down a couple of years back it was all overgrown, holes barely visible etc.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2011, 09:35:28 pm by BobG »
Ye Gods! How things change. I spent a good part of my teenage years on that pitch and putt course. I even got my only ever hole in one there. On the wrong green! Used to like that place. Is that one at dingly dell still there? Had a reight old bas**rd of a sand trap that one did. Always took abot 45 shots to get out of it if you ever fell in the thing.

Cheers

BobG

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2011, 09:41:26 pm by Berkshire Rover »
I too cut my golfing teeth on the pitch and putt at cantley park, never had a hole in one there but did get one on a proper course in Corby many years later.

And just in case he thinks that we've all forgotten what this thread is actually about, wells one to Nathan and all those involved in getting the new pavilion built.
:woot: :woot: :woot:

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 25, 2011, 05:48:10 pm by NathanDRFC »
Yes, golf is available

More information about the new facility, including a video and some photos can be found at http://www.bessacarrfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=645&Itemid=98

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 25, 2011, 06:42:45 pm by not on facebook »
since been a cantley lad would allways have one or two rounds in the 'cantley open'

which was just a piss up from the paddock pub when that pub was bouncing years ago.

i was never a good golf player as i was left handed and finding a left handed 7iron
was hard work.

lost count number of times me balls went into alotments.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 25, 2011, 09:58:01 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"oslorovers\" post=143731
since been a cantley lad would allways have one or two rounds in the 'cantley open'

which was just a piss up from the paddock pub when that pub was bouncing years ago.

i was never a good golf player as i was left handed and finding a left handed 7iron
was hard work.

lost count number of times me balls went into alotments.

I actually have a left handed 7 iron in my golf bag, for those times when playing right handed your up against a tree and can`t get a shot, it gets used pretty often as well

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 26, 2011, 09:16:47 pm by not on facebook »
has your left handed 7iron got 'dmbc' stamped on the underneath?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012