Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:06:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33497 times)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #120 on July 13, 2018, 03:17:35 pm by dknward2 »
Really hope this is just him trying to use his poker face cause if he believes the whole squad is good enough then he's wrong 1st 11 is fine and bench is good enough but outside of that sorry we are gonna struggle to get top half

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on July 13, 2018, 03:24:46 pm by DonnyOsmond »
For me we need a bit more depth mainly at center mid but I'd take this team for first game of the season.

Crawford Marquis Coppinger
Rowe McCullough Whiteman
Andrew Butler Wright Mason
Lawlor

Marosi
Amos
Anderson
Blair
Beestin
Kiwomya
May

Where would you have Malik Wilks and Taylor(if we sign him)

Obviously you can swap out Wilks and May, as I've not seen Wilks yet I chose May. Apparently he's left footed so you could have him on the left or center of the front three.

Taylor will be one of the front three and his signing for me will give us loads of competition for those two wide positions and about 4 or so for the central striker. You do worry about the goals if Marquis was to get injured and you have May, Taylor and an unproven Wilks available. If we can afford it we should bring in one more with a decent record at this level who could potentially play in other positions.

We need someone to compete with McCullough as you don't want to have Whiteman limited in a defensive position when he's a massive goal threat.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on July 13, 2018, 03:46:13 pm by bedale rover »
Be dale - are you serious?

The Board's stated aim this season is top 6, not bottom 6! We are nowhere near a strong enough squad to challenge the upper reaches of this division......yet. It is to be hoped that there are a couple of rabbits yet to be pulled out of the proverbial hat.

Do you think that Shrewsbury players and fans thought they would be top six?

Do you think Leicester thought they would win the premier league?
What we think and what happens are two different things
It is all about the team and how the gel and how well they perform  collectively 
Games are won on grass not on paper

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on July 13, 2018, 03:51:41 pm by GazLaz »

The Board's stated aim this season is top 6, not bottom 6! We are nowhere near a strong enough squad to challenge the upper reaches of this division......yet. It is to be hoped that there are a couple of rabbits yet to be pulled out of the proverbial hat.

It is all about the team and how the gel and how well they perform  collectively 

Every team in the division has a chance of winning it, it’s just the percentage chance of doing so that changes. The idea is to give yourself the best possible chance to achieve your goal not just living on the hope that it’s your season to defy big odds.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on July 13, 2018, 03:53:41 pm by bedale rover »

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-not-planning-much-more-business-in-transfer-market-1-9250195

If he believes that then let’s hope it’s just talk because if it’s actually the case we won’t be good enough for top 10 in my opinion

I’d agree with that, there are no signs off a push for promotion with this team at this moment in time.
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-not-planning-much-more-business-in-transfer-market-1-9250195

If he believes that then let’s hope it’s just talk because if it’s actually the case we won’t be good enough for top 10 in my opinion

I’d agree with that, there are no signs off a push for promotion with this team at this moment in time.

Has the season started then?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on July 13, 2018, 04:11:06 pm by ravenrover »
I was and still am fairly useless when it comes to maths but humour me on thus one
We start a season with 3 recognised centre backs
2 are injured so we bring in 2 on loan
When all are fit we have 3 + 2 on loan
At the end of the season 2 on loan return to their clubs leaving us with the original 3
1 departs the club leaving 2 but we then sign permanently a 3rd so we have now replaced the 1 who left
Baudry leaves Anderson is signed as a replacement, where have I gone wrong :huh:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 13, 2018, 04:16:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Exactly right. Although people would say 3 centre half's isn't enough i think its ok if you've players like McCullough and Mason who can fill in if needed

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on July 13, 2018, 04:22:33 pm by ravenrover »
So why are people arguing that Anderson is not a replacement for Baudry?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on July 13, 2018, 04:23:24 pm by DonnyOsmond »
So why are people arguing that Anderson is not a replacement for Baudry?

Because they want replacements for the loan players too.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on July 13, 2018, 04:30:49 pm by Jonathan »
Of course we need to think about replacing the loan players given their significant contribution to our first choice team. It would be utterly stupid not to think about that unless we want to accept our squad will be weaker rather than stronger.

Oh, hang on, isn’t that the very point of this whole debate...

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on July 13, 2018, 04:33:13 pm by roversdude »
Do a lot of loan signings not happen after premiership sides finalise their squad ?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on July 13, 2018, 04:42:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Bedale, did you actually watch us last season? Where did we finish in the league? Who did we have available in midfield? What have we got available this coming season? Where are the improvements? How do you think we will do with the current squad?

Most people that can be even arsed to write something on here will tell you the same thing, we are, at the very least, one good quality player short in midfield (at least). And I don't mean short in the vertically challenged sense. If you think our squad, as it stands today, is good enough to challenge the top 6 of this league then the Earth must indeed be flat!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on July 13, 2018, 04:46:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

There is absolutely nothing in what McCann is quoted as saying that justifies that headline whatsoever. If McCann did say it, why hasn't it been quoted alongside all the other stuff he's been quoted as saying? That articles stinks of fish.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on July 13, 2018, 04:59:21 pm by RoversAlias »
I was and still am fairly useless when it comes to maths but humour me on thus one
We start a season with 3 recognised centre backs
2 are injured so we bring in 2 on loan
When all are fit we have 3 + 2 on loan
At the end of the season 2 on loan return to their clubs leaving us with the original 3
1 departs the club leaving 2 but we then sign permanently a 3rd so we have now replaced the 1 who left
Baudry leaves Anderson is signed as a replacement, where have I gone wrong :huh:

One flaw to all of this, and it's not mathematical (kudos for that aspect, spot on).

Last summer THE big debate about our squad was that we were a centre half short. It turned out that Butler and Wright stepped up to the plate big time and proved excellent together, but with Baudry injured we were lucky that neither of them got injured until we could do something about it in January. We should not suddenly now decide that three CBs is enough because it isn't for any side, we need 4. We did also have Alcock for cover during that period and he has now gone.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on July 13, 2018, 05:03:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Of course we need to think about replacing the loan players given their significant contribution to our first choice team. It would be utterly stupid not to think about that unless we want to accept our squad will be weaker rather than stronger.

Oh, hang on, isn’t that the very point of this whole debate...

The loan signings were brought in for specific players when they were injured. Unluckily last season all those injuries hit at once which is why two loan players were needed. They weren't really in the same category of Houghton, Kongolo and Whiteman who were signed for the 1st team squad at the season's start so i wouldn't count them as players missing from this years squad.

I'd be glad if we signed another centre half don't get me wrong it's just i'd rather sign players for other positions at the moment if i'm given a choice. and i tend to be realistic that if we are going to do that then we can't have 3 senior players for every position (have we ever done that?)   

darren61

« Reply #135 on July 13, 2018, 05:09:25 pm by darren61 »
There is absolutely nothing in what McCann is quoted as saying that justifies that headline whatsoever. If McCann did say it, why hasn't it been quoted alongside all the other stuff he's been quoted as saying? That articles stinks of fish

Just the DFP with their usual click bait headline.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on July 13, 2018, 05:14:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
There is absolutely nothing in what McCann is quoted as saying that justifies that headline whatsoever. If McCann did say it, why hasn't it been quoted alongside all the other stuff he's been quoted as saying? That articles stinks of fish

That's what I think too. Unfortunately the decline of the newspapers makes fake headlines more likely as they try to get income from clickbait.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on July 13, 2018, 05:52:07 pm by steve@dcfd »

That's what I think too. Unfortunately the decline of the newspapers makes fake headlines more likely as they try to get income from clickbait.

If is a fake headline like you and others suggest it’s easy for GM or the club to deny it and give the version that is true.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on July 13, 2018, 05:58:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If is a fake headline like you and others suggest it’s easy for GM or the club to deny it and give the version that is true.

'If it's a fake headline'? What in the article itself makes it not a fake headline?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on July 13, 2018, 06:24:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
Glyn I’m not bothered how one line in the article is interpreted.
Come Aug 9th he will not hope have a squad to achieve the clubs goal of top six finish. It’s not about hope I was told it will happen.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on July 13, 2018, 06:28:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Glyn I’m not bothered how one line in the article is interpreted.
Come Aug 9th he will not hope have a squad to achieve the clubs goal of top six finish. It’s not about hope I was told it will happen.

Which line are you on about being interpreted? It is something of what McCann has been quoted being interpreted incorrectly, or just Hoden's version of events?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 13, 2018, 06:31:22 pm by Cantley Rover »
I wonder if Liam Hoden ever thinks to himself. "Why do I bother?"

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on July 13, 2018, 06:34:00 pm by drfc1951 »

I wonder the same about Terry Bramall and the rest of the board

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on July 13, 2018, 06:39:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I wonder why he bothers writing a headline that isn't substantiated by what he then writes in the article underneath it. If it isn't deliberate clickbait, at best it's bloody awful journalism.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on July 13, 2018, 06:47:24 pm by Cantley Rover »

I wonder the same about Terry Bramall and the rest of the board

I would love to hear the answer to that.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 13, 2018, 06:53:19 pm by Cantley Rover »

I wonder why he bothers writing a headline that isn't substantiated by what he then writes in the article underneath it. If it isn't deliberate clickbait, at best it's bloody awful journalism.

I'm not sure which part of what Hoden says is unsubstantiated? Are you suggesting Grant McCann didn't say these things to Hoden or are you insinuating Hoden is lying?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on July 13, 2018, 07:14:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I'm not sure which part of what Hoden says is unsubstantiated? Are you suggesting Grant McCann didn't say these things to Hoden or are you insinuating Hoden is lying?

I'm saying that Hoden has reported an interview, and quoted McCann heavily from it, then written a headline that the interview itself doesn't mention. It is that headline that is unsubstantiated - unless perhaps I've missed it and you can point me to where McCann says in the interview what his future transfer plans are?

I'm not saying Hoden is lying. McCann may very well have said what Hoden says he did. It's just extremely odd for Hoden not to then include it in the reported interview...which is bloody awful journalism!

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on July 13, 2018, 07:37:58 pm by CottyRover »

I'm saying that Hoden has reported an interview, and quoted McCann heavily from it, then written a headline that the interview itself doesn't mention. It is that headline that is unsubstantiated - unless perhaps I've missed it and you can point me to where McCann says in the interview what his future transfer plans are?

I'm not saying Hoden is lying. McCann may very well have said what Hoden says he did. It's just extremely odd for Hoden not to then include it in the reported interview...which is bloody awful journalism!

To be fair to Liam Hoden, does he actually get to write the headline or does that fall to some sub editor?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on July 13, 2018, 07:48:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

To be fair to Liam Hoden, does he actually get to write the headline or does that fall to some sub editor?

Whoever it is, it's them to blame for all this because people are reading the headline and believing it without reading the article and realising it's crap. And then it's getting posted all over there as true.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on July 13, 2018, 07:59:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
McCann admits he would be satisfied with his lot in the transfer market.

Which comes after the first three paragraphs which talks about the signing of Crawford and Wilks and maybe Taylor.

Interpretation?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012