Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:44:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sky coverage of play offs  (Read 4327 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Re: Sky coverage of play offs
« Reply #30 on May 01, 2024, 02:56:34 pm by les@donr »
Appreciate your comments Bob and Filo. I studied in Cheltenham from 1988 to 1992, then returned to Sheffield to teach. Surprisingly I found folk in Swindon easy to get along with, they seemed friendly and down to earth, misplaced northerners.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 01, 2024, 06:40:22 pm by BobG »
Lol Les! I do some of my shopping in Swindon. It reminds me of home. Well, home of 30 or 40 years ago. Run down, squalid, deprived and unpleasant. Swindon is a town on the slide. Once Honda left the economic heart of the place disappeared.  No railway works now to keep the place going. The Council are trying, but the solutions they're employing just result in more offices instead of places to meet, buy and sell. The town centre is horrific these days.

BobG

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 01, 2024, 08:05:40 pm by RoversInSpain »
Always seemed to have a very grey sky when I did some work there.
However I would recommend the old town area of Swindon, which seemed to have a little bit still going for it, with a few bars and restaurants.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 01, 2024, 08:48:53 pm by wilts rover »
Too right Les. World's apart. It's old hat and irrelevant now but 95% of the folk down here in the early 80's had never seen a slag heap or a pit. The depth of southern ignorance of the north, and, tbh, northern ignorance of the south, was profound. I suppose the big question today is: has anything changed?

BobG

There are actually quite a few spoil heaps around where I am which are the remains of the Somerset coalfield. There's a big one near Radstock that is now an SSSI. And of course there is still mining going on today in Gloucestershire in the Forest of Dean.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 02, 2024, 04:12:37 pm by BobG »
Aye. But the Forest of Dean is a very, very excluisve place..... Populated by inbreds, dwarves and warlocks apparently. And none of 'em ever come out the place either!

Lol. The forest of Dean is the local version of 4 fingered types from Barnsley and Rotherham....

BobG

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 02, 2024, 04:22:17 pm by graingrover »
I left U.k. in 1967 forever .You are right folk are different when you leave your hometown but there again so are we to them ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012