Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:39:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 50 points  (Read 18694 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: 50 points
« Reply #60 on March 21, 2018, 12:24:34 am by IDM »
seven teams have to finish the season better than us, for us to go down..  Some a little better, some a lot better..

Yes mate I understand that.
The thing is that three years ago I came away from that 2-1 win at Leeds thinking we were safe.
This is the Rovers we are talking about and we have recent history of not finishing seasons well.
Hopefully this season we can buck the trend.

We don't have to finish the season well, not particularly.. 2 wins from 9 should be plenty - but I would think we may get 3 or 4 anyway..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on March 21, 2018, 07:18:11 am by besty »
I think it's fair to say our goal difference is worth another point on most of the teams below us

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on March 21, 2018, 07:50:14 am by drfchound »
Hound.

No, that’s not a sensible way to look at it. We’d played a game more than the 4th bottom then. Now we have a game in hand. We’re clearly in a better position now than we were then.

Plus, back then the 4th bottom side had 21 games left to catch up 7 points in us. Now the 4th bottom has 8 games left to catch up 6 points.

That is a fair point about the number of games remaining.
However, even though I believe we should be in a safe enough position now to stay up I will feel much better if we can win two more matches.
As I said earlier, after the Leeds match three years ago everyone thought we had done enough.
The collapses of the last two seasons also leave people feeling insecure, we have recent bad history at the end of the season.
To repeat though, I think we will stay up now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on March 21, 2018, 08:47:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
As we've seen with our team, it doesn't take much for our wheels to fall off. Only as recently as Rotherham it shows the inconceivable can happen.

There's no room for complacency at least until we're mathematically safe. If and when that happens, the players need to be driven to keep performing until the last kick of the final game.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on March 21, 2018, 08:58:27 am by IDM »
A bit like they did on Monday night then?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on March 21, 2018, 10:29:22 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Without doubt. There has to be a shift in mentality for this squad to succeed going forward. Accepting some of our squad are inexperienced, they need to show they've learnt the hard way and develop a ruthless never say die attitude.

Other than Marquis, Butler and perhaps Copps, it's harder to see that will to win in the rest of the squad. That's why DF can't afford to let up and put to bed recent seasons poor finishes to a season.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on March 21, 2018, 11:23:16 am by southwestexile »
We need a positive end to the season to carry some momentum into next season. I feel happy that we'll stay up but we need to be pushing for a top half or top ten finish. Good for fans, good for the team and a statement of what next season may hold for any prospective signings

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on March 21, 2018, 12:18:06 pm by adamtherover »
Without doubt. There has to be a shift in mentality for this squad to succeed going forward. Accepting some of our squad are inexperienced, they need to show they've learnt the hard way and develop a ruthless never say die attitude.

Other than Marquis, Butler and perhaps Copps, it's harder to see that will to win in the rest of the squad. That's why DF can't afford to let up and put to bed recent seasons poor finishes to a season.

id say young alfie beeston has that in spades!!!!, he's  learning the way to play the game off John M very quickly.....

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 21, 2018, 05:46:58 pm by scawsby steve »
Hound.

No, that’s not a sensible way to look at it. We’d played a game more than the 4th bottom then. Now we have a game in hand. We’re clearly in a better position now than we were then.

Plus, back then the 4th bottom side had 21 games left to catch up 7 points in us. Now the 4th bottom has 8 games left to catch up 6 points.
[/q.

That is a fair point about the number of games remaining.
However, even though I believe we should be in a safe enough position now to stay up I will feel much better if we can win two more matches.
As I said earlier, after the Leeds match three years ago everyone thought we had done enough.
The collapses of the last two seasons also leave people feeling insecure, we have recent bad history at the end of the season.
To repeat though, I think we will stay up now.

Sorry to be pedantic, Hound, but that great win at Leeds was 4 years ago; that's how quick time flies. I too remember leaving the ground feeling elated that we were now 8 points clear of relegation, with just 7 games left. We couldn't possibly f**k it up could we? We did.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:15:12 pm by scawsby steve »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on March 21, 2018, 05:57:59 pm by scawsby steve »
Sorry for appearing to be computer semi-literate, which I probably am, but I've not been posting very long, so can anyone explain why my last post seemed to answer BST's quote and not Hound's, as was intended, and how do I prevent this from happening?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on March 21, 2018, 06:44:47 pm by RedJ »
I'd guess you've clicked in the text box underneath BST's quote rather than at the bottom so it's put it in the middle (which is easily done if there's a decent gap between text).

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on March 21, 2018, 06:55:31 pm by drfchound »
Steve, you can still go back to the post and modify it.
Delete what you typed and then restyle it after my post.

PS: 4 years !!
Time flies mate.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on March 21, 2018, 07:01:07 pm by scawsby steve »
I'd guess you've clicked in the text box underneath BST's quote rather than at the bottom so it's put it in the middle (which is easily done if there's a decent gap between text).

Thanks a lot, RedJ, mate; I now realise what I've done. Incidently, I've noticed that you, Hound, Alias, and I seem to have a similar view on football. Great minds eh?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on March 21, 2018, 07:20:12 pm by scawsby steve »

Time flies mate.

Thanks Hound, I've only just got round to doing it. It's now in the right order, but why is it still in the blue box?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 21, 2018, 07:34:59 pm by drfchound »

Time flies mate.

Thanks Hound, I've only just got round to doing it. It's now in the right order, but why is it still in the blue box?

Probably because you need to leave a few lines of empty space before typing.
I usually leave half a dozen lines clear.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on March 21, 2018, 08:27:57 pm by drfchound »
It looks like Walsall won’t be going in front of us tonight.
Wigan 3-0 up nearing Half time.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 21, 2018, 08:32:49 pm by RedJ »

Time flies mate.

You need to make sure your text is after the bit that says [/quote], that part is where the blue box will end and the white begins when you hit post.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on March 22, 2018, 12:49:38 am by les@donr »
I still stand by the magic figure of 50 points will see us safe. It would take almost promotion form for any of the bottom 4 to overtake us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on March 22, 2018, 03:17:22 am by scawsby steve »
I'm absolutely certain we'll comfortably stay up this season; and, as I've said in another post, if Fergie makes the right signings in the summer, we could be challenging for the play-offs next season.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on March 22, 2018, 07:52:15 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don`t think 50 points will be enough to avoid a last game lottery and thus putting us all through it yet again.

54 points just might see us avoiding the last day jitters so it's important to accumulate those points as quickly as possible. I too remember the buzz that followed the Leeds game and even the press fell into the trap of declaring us safe after that result.

I suspect there will be plenty of caution out there with folk not renewing season memberships just yet.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on March 22, 2018, 08:00:21 am by Filo »
I think 48 points will be enough to survive

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on March 22, 2018, 09:07:11 am by idler »
I'm not sure that too many will be watching what league we will be in before renewing Baz.
We always renewed even on relegation. I only stopped because I felt I usually had to attend with my season ticket  whereas I now choose my matches so I'm not travelling on my own a lot and paying a fortune for petrol.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on March 23, 2018, 09:03:16 am by ravenrover »

Thanks a lot, RedJ, mate; I now realise what I've done. Incidently, I've noticed that you, Hound, Alias, and I seem to have a similar view on football. Great minds eh?
Aah so thats why you used to pick me   ;)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on March 23, 2018, 09:34:44 am by Campsall rover »
We need a positive end to the season to carry some momentum into next season. I feel happy that we'll stay up but we need to be pushing for a top half or top ten finish. Good for fans, good for the team and a statement of what next season may hold for any prospective signings
Definitely. We need to keep the foot on the gas, for all the reasons you stated above.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on March 23, 2018, 09:55:22 am by hoolahoop »
Definitely. We need to keep the foot on the gas, for all the reasons you stated above.

Agreed need 3/4  more positive results should see us through and understand first 1000 ST been renewed. That was a good result on Monday night and if we carry on in the same vein - we SHOULD have a launch pad to mount an attack on those top places next season. We now have some decent players that we need to retain . Soon it will be time to consider who should stay or go

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on March 23, 2018, 05:38:02 pm by scawsby steve »

Aah so thats why you used to pick me   ;)

You were a good defender, Raven, and it was quite an honour to play for Scawsby Rangers then, particularly when you consider that we had some K form players in the team, who'd earned money in the game.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on March 25, 2018, 11:57:04 pm by IDM »
Two more wins should secure safety on 52 points..  the bottom 4 teams need 1.5 points per game to get to 51.. we need to get points at half that rate..

Of course, we should aim for more..

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on April 07, 2018, 05:07:03 pm by les@donr »
We've reached the big 50, should now be safe.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 07, 2018, 05:09:42 pm by drfchound »
Unless we have another one of the big end of season collapses then we are safe.
Don't think we will cock it up this time.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 07, 2018, 05:22:41 pm by pib »
We're looking much harder to beat these days. A bit functional at times but I make it only 3 league defeats since the Oxford game in mid December.

A few too many draws maybe, but if we can cash in on some winnable home games and finish in the top half that'll be a decent season overall.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012