Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:26:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Respect for older rovers supporters.  (Read 5088 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Respect for older rovers supporters.
« Reply #30 on April 15, 2018, 11:36:29 am by Donnywolf »
So do you reckon my suggestion above might have "legs" ?

This is a discussion that we have visted and revisited several times a Season recently so cant do any harm to try a third way surely

Must happen in other Clubs too - wonder what they do to solve it ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 15, 2018, 11:50:25 am by RedJ »
People just need to learn not to be dicks. Don't sit down at the back if you don't want people stood in front of you, don't stand up further forward if you don't want to cause a fuss.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 15, 2018, 12:03:58 pm by Donnywolf »
Agree totally - as I did with an earlier post saying Stand at the Back - Sit at the Front.

However I dont see it happening any time soon as a lot of people dont use this or any other Rovers Forum and so will be oblivious to what the vast vast majority of Rovers Fans think will work

Its a small minority (on both sides of the Debate) that are causing the problems as we can read from the Posts oh here. I remember the last time we did this to death a Poster put " lets sort it - we're all Rovers FFS" and that is still as relevant now

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 15, 2018, 01:35:30 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Something needs to be sorted with Rovers away ticket allocation, for every game. That was about the 5th or 6th time I've seen this happen. Not good. All it needs is common sense in the ticket office. Put up a sign that says back few rows standing, all rest seating. Ask the fans where they would prefer to sit or stand, just like the south stand.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 15, 2018, 01:43:32 pm by sheffield exile1 »
To some extent its a problem of our own making due to the relative success we have  had since the heady championship days. You didn't get this issue on a cold night in Dover or Hayes as it was a hardy few who all knew or recognised each other. Fast forward to promotions over the ensuing years and you have a much bigger travelling fan base away who don't know each other and who would probably not want to be in each others company if not in the confines of a football stand. So there are no boundaries or prescedents or, it appears even nicities or mutual respect. Its nice that we are taking back our town support from Weeds, Wendies etc and a new generation is spawning a bigger fan base but it is, it seems, coming at a price?

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 15, 2018, 02:07:56 pm by rich1471 »
yes was unreserved seating as well , people need to show more respect towards each other but sitting down on the back row and not excepting people to stand in front of you is crazy also don't stand up half way down the stand as well or even the front , but the old guy did offer the young lad out and one old bloke next to me did not even ask the lad to sit down just prodded him with his walking stick and i was 3 rows from the back.     

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 15, 2018, 02:08:32 pm by hamiltonrover »
Part of the issue yesterday, was that the stewards intervened about 20 mins into the match with the group near the front, these then simply moved to the rear of the stand where folk had already been sat without any problems. They then sat/stood where they liked and a fair few just acted like knobs, not giving a second thought to anyone other than themselves or the people sat in that space who were there before they arrived. I have been to about 10 Away games this season and in the majority there has been a select few who are intent on acting like dicks who think they are something special. It appears some folk get a kick out of looking hard and abusing folk who simply go to watch their team, sad reflection on society and a small minority of Rovers fans, as it’s just anti social behaviour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 15, 2018, 02:40:19 pm by Jimmydee »
Hamilton, how do you get to look hard?     Is it by not wearing colours?  Burberry?   It’s just a way of thinking that your hard, maybe.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 15, 2018, 02:51:44 pm by selby »
 Wolfie, it isn't as easy as that because you need a brain cell to know the difference between front and back.
  I do not go to the back, because of the standing issue, which if a club let it happen I have no issue with, if the participants recognise two things.
  1) If they come into the ground late, and the seating at the back is taken, Don't stand in front of seated fans, it is a seating area respect it, and the people there.
  2) The people affected have the right  to ask the stewards to make them sit down or move.
 The stadium yesterday is the other way round to most, entering at ground level and descending steep steps to the rows of seats. That is the reason older people sat in the nearest rows to the entrance, rather than go down and have to climb quite a steep set of steps.
   The lads who came in late were not the problem,and got caught up in it when the two or three stood higher up, came the billy big b*llocks, and a senior steward decided he had seen enough.
   I  might add, that although a new construction and will be the latest design. Entering the stand at road level, and descending down into the stand, was one of the main problems with the Bradford City stand fire, with exits at the top of the stand, and people having to climb steps to get to them, with heat and smoke gathering under the roof.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 15, 2018, 03:00:48 pm by RedJ »
yes was unreserved seating as well , people need to show more respect towards each other but sitting down on the back row and not excepting people to stand in front of you is crazy also don't stand up half way down the stand as well or even the front , but the old guy did offer the young lad out and one old bloke next to me did not even ask the lad to sit down just prodded him with his walking stick and i was 3 rows from the back.     

Exactly this. People want to cry about lack of respect but don't want to accept that it has to work both ways, and that the shit does get thrown from both sides.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 15, 2018, 03:04:23 pm by hamiltonrover »
Hamilton, how do you get to look hard?     Is it by not wearing colours?  Burberry?   It’s just a way of thinking that your hard, maybe.

Maybe not the best word to describe, but acting up in front of your mates, abusing those who simply ask you to show some courtesy, trying to engage in a fight with a couple who are sat with their kids.
I don’t wear colours so that’s probably not a requisite of looking hard !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 15, 2018, 03:40:41 pm by ravenrover »
Wolfie, it isn't as easy as that because you need a brain cell to know the difference between front and back.
  I do not go to the back, because of the standing issue, which if a club let it happen I have no issue with, if the participants recognise two things.
  1) If they come into the ground late, and the seating at the back is taken, Don't stand in front of seated fans, it is a seating area respect it, and the people there.
  2) The people affected have the right  to ask the stewards to make them sit down or move.
 The stadium yesterday is the other way round to most, entering at ground level and descending steep steps to the rows of seats. That is the reason older people sat in the nearest rows to the entrance, rather than go down and have to climb quite a steep set of steps.
   The lads who came in late were not the problem,and got caught up in it when the two or three stood higher up, came the billy big b*llocks, and a senior steward decided he had seen enough.
   I  might add, that although a new construction and will be the latest design. Entering the stand at road level, and descending down into the stand, was one of the main problems with the Bradford City stand fire, with exits at the top of the stand, and people having to climb steps to get to them, with heat and smoke gathering under the roof.
Sorry Selby can't agree about the Bradford fire, the stand wss wooden for a start, the easiest way out was onto the pitch no stairs to climb picky? maybe, but to compare a new stadium with an old is wrong

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 15, 2018, 05:51:57 pm by selby »
  Raven I accept all that, and did mention the new design and construction, I was trying to make the point that older people stopped at the top of the stand because of the steep stairway downwards to the rest of the seating area.
  A reversal of the norm in the majority of the stands.
  It does not alter the fact, that even in that stand,if a fire was started low down towards the pitch however unlikely, smoke and heat would rise towards the exits, which would act as a natural chimney.
  But that is just a side comment, the fact is that older people stopped at the back yesterday to avoid climbing a flight of stairs on their way out, and to be nearer the services in the stand, that is the complete opposite to nearly every stand we have been in this season at away games.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 15, 2018, 07:23:03 pm by idler »
Selby, the door that a lot of fans went to at Valley Parade was locked. There were about 20 odd or more bodies together near that particular exit.
Your point about staying near the top is valid though. I did when I went there.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 15, 2018, 07:42:36 pm by selby »
  Idler, I know, and old goal nets and paint tins were under the seats,near the toilets and bar area. I can remember a mate saying. when we played them before that tragedy and we were in that stand " if a fag end drops through them floor boards that bloody lot will go up in flames quickly"
   The last time we were at QPR there was a high voltage cable laid on top of a wall outside the toilets that was not capped off, we told a steward who sent for the safety officer, we pointed it out, and he did not know if it was live or not, the look on his face when we pointed out a steel girder about  4 inches away was a picture.
   I got a nice  letter a couple of weeks later thanking us, but to this day we don't know if the cable was live  or not.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 15, 2018, 10:27:41 pm by normal rules »
Those that want to stand together at away games where there is unreserved seating, get in the ground early. Simple.

Every time though, it's the "five to three crowd"  that waltz in at kick off thinking there is a designated area for them to be together when others have been in the ground getting their seats at half two or earlier.

THIS is the main reason there are problems.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012