Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:19:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chat GPT  (Read 1567 times)

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
Chat GPT
« on April 26, 2023, 05:43:09 pm by TonySoprano »
Anyone else think it's concerning just how fast AI is progressing? The rate its progressed in the last 2 years is wild.

I don't know if anyone has tried using chat GPT but it's scarily good, to the point of you start questioning it's sentience.

There's talk of people falling in love with it, getting it to write dissertations, I've even heard of one bloke getting it to write an uber eloquent letter to his wife to persuade her to take him back !  :lol:

It's the thought of AI "takeoff" that scares me the most, where AI is designing AI, which designs more AI etc etc, and it just exponentially gets better within hours or minutes, and we wouldn't know until, well who knows ?

Many top scientists and genius business leaders have signed an open letter published by the future of life institute, calling for a 6 month halt in AI systems that can compete with human level intelligence.
Signatories include elon musk, and Steve wozniak .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Chat GPT
« Reply #1 on April 26, 2023, 08:00:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It scares the hell out of me.

I've had it write an article in my field of work. It came up with absolute b*llocks. But it was written in a very authoritative style.

That's the scary bit. The fact that it can write stuff that may sound very persuasive to a non-expert, but is actually just made up nonsense.

Plus of course, it has no comprehension of morality or legality beyond what is programmed into its algorithms. I read something last week of someone asking ChatGPT to give it a list of websites that had a specific illegal content. It replied that it couldn't do that because the websites were blacklisted. So the human asked for a list of the blacklisted websites and ChatGPT obliged.

I don't know for certain if that is a genuine story, but it's precisely what a limited algorithm would do. Like a very precocious child that has not developed a sense of right and wrong.

This is coming and we can't stop it. But I don't think the human race is in any way prepared for it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 26, 2023, 08:01:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But my bullshit detector is flashing at Musk signing that letter. As if he would do if his organisation had the technical lead on AI...

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 26, 2023, 08:21:34 pm by albie »
Wait until the new iteration of Cambridge Analytica gets going for the GE, and uses the new algorithms to influence voters via their social media feeds!

Brave New World, innit?

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 26, 2023, 08:49:54 pm by TonySoprano »
But my bullshit detector is flashing at Musk signing that letter. As if he would do if his organisation had the technical lead on AI...

I know what you mean, but to be fair, AI scares the shit out of him.
I've listened to him alot recently,  and he's often talking about it, it seems like it's his main concern above all else.

I think he's right, the rate it has progressed even in the last 2 years is crazy.
Who knows where we will be in ten years.
The only saving grace being that it seems robotics isn't keeping pace with ai development, so it might be a few years before we see a T1000.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 09:04:51 pm by TonySoprano »

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 27, 2023, 02:41:59 pm by nightporter »
Been using Chat GPT to write prompts to use in Midjourney, an Ai Art generator.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 27, 2023, 03:45:58 pm by albie »
Right on cue, after my post above;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct4wcr

Next President, next PM?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 27, 2023, 04:02:01 pm by danumdon »
Right on cue, after my post above;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct4wcr

Next President, next PM?

Along with all the other trash media yes, this'll be the case.

It'll be very interesting to see which political parties manage to manipulate their electorate the most with all this?

Maybe Bob G was onto something all along?

No, still a fascist outlook.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 29, 2023, 07:20:15 pm by auckleyflyer »
In all honesty an ai prime minister or president would objectively do a better job than the last at least 15yrs?!
Public perception won't allow it but why not a best choice response rather than a politically motivated one.
Checks and measures needs a human like auto pilot so let's say a replacement for the house of lords??

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 01, 2023, 10:15:45 am by TonySoprano »
Edliezer yudkowsky well known AI expert and advocate and coiner of "friendly AI " and widely regarded as the founder of the field of AI,  has written a piece for Time magazine, and it's frightening .

Incidentally he has refused to sign the open letter because "the letter is understating the seriousness of the situation and asking for too little to solve it."

"To visualize a hostile superhuman AI, don’t imagine a lifeless book-smart thinker dwelling inside the internet and sending ill-intentioned emails. Visualize an entire alien civilization, thinking at millions of times human speeds, initially confined to computers—in a world of creatures that are, from its perspective, very stupid and very slow. A sufficiently intelligent AI won’t stay confined to computers for long. In today’s world you can email DNA strings to laboratories that will produce proteins on demand, allowing an AI initially confined to the internet to build artificial life forms or bootstrap straight to postbiological molecular manufacturing.

If somebody builds a too-powerful AI, under present conditions, I expect that every single member of the human species and all biological life on Earth dies shortly thereafter."

Link to opinion piece,
 https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 10:18:21 am by TonySoprano »

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 01, 2023, 01:35:52 pm by nightporter »
At least we don't have to worry about global warming anymore.  :woohoo:

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 01, 2023, 04:16:46 pm by Nudga »
At least we don't have to worry about global warming anymore.  :woohoo:

Global warming is so 1990s, it's climate change now.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 01, 2023, 06:08:29 pm by scawsby steve »
Edliezer yudkowsky well known AI expert and advocate and coiner of "friendly AI " and widely regarded as the founder of the field of AI,  has written a piece for Time magazine, and it's frightening .

Incidentally he has refused to sign the open letter because "the letter is understating the seriousness of the situation and asking for too little to solve it."

"To visualize a hostile superhuman AI, don’t imagine a lifeless book-smart thinker dwelling inside the internet and sending ill-intentioned emails. Visualize an entire alien civilization, thinking at millions of times human speeds, initially confined to computers—in a world of creatures that are, from its perspective, very stupid and very slow. A sufficiently intelligent AI won’t stay confined to computers for long. In today’s world you can email DNA strings to laboratories that will produce proteins on demand, allowing an AI initially confined to the internet to build artificial life forms or bootstrap straight to postbiological molecular manufacturing.

If somebody builds a too-powerful AI, under present conditions, I expect that every single member of the human species and all biological life on Earth dies shortly thereafter."

Link to opinion piece,
 https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/

Regarding that last paragraph, does anyone know what medication this guy's on?

Whatever it is, it needs changing.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 08, 2023, 09:58:10 am by NickDRFC »
Long way to go in terms of sophistication yet. I just asked what Rovers’ best all time XI is and this was the response:

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions, but here's a potential all-time Doncaster Rovers XI based on individual and team achievements, as well as impact and influence on the club:

1. Harry Gregg (Goalkeeper)
2. James O'Connor (Right-back)
3. Tommy Johnson (Centre-back)
4. Steve Foster (Centre-back)
5. Graeme Lee (Left-back)
6. Brian Stock (Midfielder)
7. John Ryan (Midfielder)
8. Harry Gregg (Midfielder)
9. Billy Sharp (Forward)
10. Paul Raven (Forward)
11. Alick Jeffrey (Forward)

Honorable Mentions: Colin Douglas, Peter Kitchen, Peter Doherty, Alan Warboys, Stuart Mell, Paul Green, Kevin Horlock.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 08, 2023, 10:01:41 am by DonnyOsmond »
Harry Gregg will be busy.

Not keen on Graeme Lee at left back too.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 10, 2023, 08:30:10 pm by roversdude »
We’ve banned it at work some were using it to write bid information

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 10, 2023, 09:19:50 pm by normal rules »
War Games film from 1983 anyone?

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 11, 2023, 03:10:34 pm by keyser_soze »
Harry Gregg will be busy.

Not keen on Graeme Lee at left back too.

Or midfield dynamo John Ryan.

There is at least 4 of my all-time XI in there though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 14, 2023, 01:40:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Looks like we are still safe.

https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1702052612063834534

Unless you actually follow the instruction.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 14, 2023, 05:09:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The main use of AI will be for some people to control and use and even destroy others. And one glitch, one day AI will destroy any hunans controlling it.

The above is certain, just an enhsncement of the current situation. The only question is when? I used to think the human race will be gone by 200 years. I think 100 is too optimistic.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 14, 2023, 05:44:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's inevitable that the next step of evolution will be the merging of biological humans with some form of technology - enhancements of brain and body.

That's going to happen. No question.

The issue is, will that only be available to the mega rich like Musk and Putin, and denied to everyone else. Effectively making a super-race, separate from common humanity.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 14, 2023, 07:54:55 pm by Nudga »
I hope I'm dead by then.

I think you'll find The USofA will be at forefront of hybrid humans for their industrial military complex

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 14, 2023, 08:02:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I hope I'm dead by then.

I think you'll find The USofA will be at forefront of hybrid humans for their industrial military complex

So you'll refuse a hip replacement if you need one when you're older?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 14, 2023, 08:17:51 pm by River Don »
I hope I'm dead by then.

Before we have to deal with these dilemmas, we will be facing huge challenges from the climate.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 14, 2023, 08:26:25 pm by Nudga »
I hope I'm dead by then.

I was responding to you whining about musk and Putin. You never mentioned surgery

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 14, 2023, 08:35:24 pm by River Don »
The problem with AI at the moment it sounds authoritative but it's b*llocks.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 14, 2023, 09:35:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The problem with AI at the moment it sounds authoritative but it's b*llocks.

Next leader of the Tory party then.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 14, 2023, 09:50:26 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
In theory, as it is now it is a useful though still fairly raw tool, although does favour the establishment already. It's commercial value is immense.

Just like Google was once a really great tool for getting info, it wil be further "normalised" and results will be biased due to all sorts of interference. To be fair to Google, there was a progressive abuse of it to propagate all kinds of things. Google's solution, and not least their financial reason, was to skew extremely heavily toward the establishment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012