Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 12:15:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield needs to go  (Read 8695 times)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
Re: Schofield needs to go
« Reply #60 on February 06, 2023, 05:15:28 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Completely agree with your point on sustainability, Reg.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on February 07, 2023, 09:03:31 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Without ambition from those in charge there will be no growth. You have to speculate to accumulate. Calculated risks give you a chance of succeeding. Yes carry on with the club Doncaster if it’s bringing revenue in but what’s the point of sitting on your hands when you have the money to turn the club into something Doncaster would be proud of?

What is the point of owning a club if you are prepared for it to drop into non league? What was the point of all those years of hard work?
Why not get experienced managers in. We couldn’t do any worse than have Sean O’Driscoll back in charge. Yes some will say it’s going backwards, but we haven’t made much of a forward charge since he left have we?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on February 07, 2023, 09:24:47 am by i_ateallthepies »
It's a SO'D type that we should have brought in for the HOF/DOF figure.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on February 07, 2023, 09:31:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He would have been ideal. When he was at the club it was a pleasure to watch. Even bigger sides came to our ground knowing they were not going to see the ball much. We controlled the games. If we could have just had more investment at certain points we could have broken into the premier league. The side was that good. Cautiousness cost us really. We were two or three players away from that standard.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 14, 2023, 10:35:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Has he been sacked yet?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 14, 2023, 10:41:34 pm by roversdude »
Bloody rubbish lol

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on February 15, 2023, 06:54:52 am by Jonathan »
After a decent week it’s probably time to start demanding that a three year contract is offered and signed immediately. Save the talk of sacking him for the next time we lose a game.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on February 15, 2023, 07:45:17 am by graingrover »
 The long-term reality is that Terry Bramall is not immortal and for the first time referred to that at the latest meeting. Since he is the only remaining financial backstop for this club, it was sensible to task Gavin Baldwin to develop a self-sustaining model built on the Club Doncaster Community for the future. It was in the same vein right to appoint Copps as Director of Football and for him to appoint a man who he believes can manage a club within such financially restrictive parameters. I get it and support it!
It serves no purpose for fans to levy such negative criticisms as those expressed at the top of this thread EXCEPT no doubt for their own self-aggrandisement or to assuage the bitterness of life for them.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on February 15, 2023, 09:09:55 am by IDM »
The manager takes the pelters on here when we lose for bad selections and tactics, yet where are those posters when we win, not only win, but win three on the bounce with 3 clean sheets.  Who was responsible for those eh?

Doesn’t mean performances shouldn’t be looked at for improvement, but surely give credit where it’s due?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 15, 2023, 09:47:07 am by turnbull for england »
Seems to  be by luck if we win, and by design if we loose for some
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:52:04 am by turnbull for england »

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 15, 2023, 06:21:31 pm by ForsolongaRover »
The manager takes the pelters on here when we lose for bad selections and tactics, yet where are those posters when we win, not only win, but win three on the bounce with 3 clean sheets.  Who was responsible for those eh?

Doesn’t mean performances shouldn’t be looked at for improvement, but surely give credit where it’s due?

Well, I’m prepared to say a few things that may be classed as negative as opposed to constructive and I hope that those who disagree will restrain themselves from the personal insults which I have received in the past.

Tiredness, when the opposition has played just as recently as we have, is a poor excuse and it seemed to me that Barrow played with more energy. Rovers could not be said to have dominated the game either by reference to the statistics or by any obvious superiority in skill. I could suggest too that the decision-making could have been better. If Barrow had nicked a goal I doubt whether a case could be made for them having not deserved a point.

I accept that that the defence was effective, but I do think that standing off the opposition when they have the ball, not being prepare to challenge until they get within shooting distance makes for a dull spectacle - which it was. Movement could be more energetic too. Players do not make themselves available enough to receive the ball to provide options, even at throw-ins.

Rather than replacing Miller with Lavery, putting two up front for the last quarter might have been more effective and introducing substitutes sooner to replace “tired” players might have been sensible. Barlow was energetic and enterprising when he appeared and you might have expected Todd Miller to have been given 10 or 15 minutes.

And compared with the previous two matches, it was a pretty dismal watch, maybe because they were confident that they they could retain the advantage and conserve their energy. So overall it was hardly entertaining and it did not compare well with the win at Swindon when the attacking focus was maintained.

Am I expecting too much?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 15, 2023, 06:55:26 pm by jmt23 »
It’s a work in progress, and Barrow did not deserve a point, they had one option and did nothing but plough it up top to a big man for the last 15 minutes, possibly longer. It was agricultural in the extreme.

We looked more comfortable and confident, however we didn’t threaten their keeper much in the second half, and they were there for the taking. I did feel we held back rather than go for it.
 The inter play is slowly coming with wing backs and wide midfielders. Molly and Brown, Maxwell and Hurst.

Was it exciting - No I agree, it was beige as a game, with only the odd spark.
Are we better, and do we look like we have a plan - Absolutely

Is DS the right man - don’t know! The signs are good, and insider info is that he is the best coach we have ever seen- they included the time of Sod & Rok in this, that is some statement, but is no guarantee he will succeed.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on February 15, 2023, 07:08:51 pm by i_ateallthepies »
That is indeed some statement, jmt23.  Who said it?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 15, 2023, 07:42:09 pm by Jonathan »
There are only two teams in the division that have won more games than ourselves so far this season. Those wins have been achieved under two managers, both of whom have needed sacking according to a fair number of our fans. As others have alluded to, life would certainly be interesting if we ever entered fan ownership. We’d need a big budget to keep paying off and recruiting new managers every few weeks. 

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on February 15, 2023, 10:09:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
'Fan Ownership' doesn't mean every decision being voted on by the fans. It would mean a Board whose members are fans elected by the wider general fandom and left to get on with it until they are re-elected. Usually under the aegis of an organised structure, such as the Supporter's Club or, indeed, the VSC.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on February 16, 2023, 12:34:22 pm by ncRover »
There are only two teams in the division that have won more games than ourselves so far this season. Those wins have been achieved under two managers, both of whom have needed sacking according to a fair number of our fans. As others have alluded to, life would certainly be interesting if we ever entered fan ownership. We’d need a big budget to keep paying off and recruiting new managers every few weeks.

I think the majority just wanted better from Schofield rather than wanting him sacked.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on February 16, 2023, 12:38:57 pm by pib »

I think the majority just wanted better from Schofield rather than wanting him sacked.

I don't think there's ever been a majority even heavily criticising him, let alone asking for him to be sacked. Easy to blow a few comments out of proportion.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on February 16, 2023, 02:03:21 pm by silent majority »
'Fan Ownership' doesn't mean every decision being voted on by the fans. It would mean a Board whose members are fans elected by the wider general fandom and left to get on with it until they are re-elected. Usually under the aegis of an organised structure, such as the Supporter's Club or, indeed, the VSC.

Well the VSC is a supporters trust, therefore a legally recognised and regulated entity that exists to promote best governance and practice within the football club and to step in if required. I've said this before, but if you need to create a supporters trust because your club is in danger then it's already too late.

The supporters club is not in a position to do that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on February 16, 2023, 02:08:36 pm by silent majority »
It’s a work in progress, and Barrow did not deserve a point, they had one option and did nothing but plough it up top to a big man for the last 15 minutes, possibly longer. It was agricultural in the extreme.

We looked more comfortable and confident, however we didn’t threaten their keeper much in the second half, and they were there for the taking. I did feel we held back rather than go for it.
 The inter play is slowly coming with wing backs and wide midfielders. Molly and Brown, Maxwell and Hurst.

Is DS the right man - don’t know! The signs are good, and insider info is that he is the best coach we have ever seen- they included the time of Sod & Rok in this, that is some statement, but is no guarantee he will succeed.

Yes the signs are good, thankfully. But as to your comment about him being the best coach we have ever seen is also something I've been hearing for a long time around the club. Apparently training sessions are a delight for all the players and if we continue to see the improvement we have then maybe those comments are justified. I certainly hope so.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on February 16, 2023, 02:12:44 pm by Upton Rover »

Totally agree with that, we just needed the results

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on February 16, 2023, 02:56:05 pm by ncRover »

I don't think there's ever been a majority even heavily criticising him, let alone asking for him to be sacked. Easy to blow a few comments out of proportion.

This poster does it often in order to frame anybody with any criticism at all being dumb and fickle. I’d be interested to hear if he’d have given McSheffrey the sack or not.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:00:11 pm by ncRover »

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on February 16, 2023, 06:12:08 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Yes the signs are good, thankfully. But as to your comment about him being the best coach we have ever seen is also something I've been hearing for a long time around the club. Apparently training sessions are a delight for all the players and if we continue to see the improvement we have then maybe those comments are justified. I certainly hope so.

SM:  That's interesting and in a way surprising. To me, Schofield comes over as unemotional, detached and lacking in empathy. You would assume from his interview manner that training would be focused on the technical, because that is the way in which he relates events in matches rather than talking about the "actors", the players as individuals. If they genuinely like to work with him then it is a very definite "plus" (reminiscent of the way SOD was admired by his squad). I'd like to hope for more evidence of the fun by way of enthusiasm, enjoyment and therefore entertainment in the spectacle on the pitch.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on February 16, 2023, 06:36:40 pm by Copps is Magic »
SM:  That's interesting and in a way surprising. To me, Schofield comes over as unemotional, detached and lacking in empathy.

How in the Lord's prayer do you come to that conclusion from a couple of minutes-long sound-bite football interviews?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 16, 2023, 06:51:52 pm by Jonathan »

This poster does it often in order to frame anybody with any criticism at all being dumb and fickle. I’d be interested to hear if he’d have given McSheffrey the sack or not.

The poster never referred to a majority, although they would be inclined to point to the title of the thread and several of the earlier comments within it before anyone tries to imply that nobody wanted the current manager gone. The poster made it clear earlier in the year that, regrettably, it was time for a change as McSheffrey’s time neared the end. But the poster would prefer we didn’t keep on changing managers, and is right behind the current one.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on February 16, 2023, 09:12:15 pm by rich1471 »
Since December 1st we have averaged 1.64 points a game not bad going if we can keep it up we have a chance of the playoffs

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on February 17, 2023, 07:59:14 am by roversdude »

It’s amazing that some posters only appear after a defeat

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on February 17, 2023, 09:39:33 am by ravenrover »
No it's not RD, it is expected

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on February 17, 2023, 11:30:07 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think Schofield knows he still has alot to do. We're still some way from being an efficient outfit.

From what we can see it looks like the players believe in him and the system the way we set up however, it's the consistency and how we respond during games when things don't go to plan etc, That's as much a mental approach as it is a technical one .

Something that struck me over these last few games is how the players dig in and do the basics much better. We've seen some really good defending from Brown, Maxwell, Hurst, Molyneux who've all contributed to reducing the crosses coming in from wide areas (one of our long standing weaknesses). It's things like this which show they've bought into Schofields methods and are prepared to work for each other. From a coaches perspective this is huge as it means he can add value with individual and collective coaching gradually.

We heard from Copps sometime ago about him wanting the players to want to be challenged in training, be prepared to learn rather than going through the motions.

Sessions have to be meaningful, fun and be hard at times. Building up emotional resilience isn't easy but that's when players start taking responsibility for their own actions without fear, trusting their teammates will be there when it goes wrong. (This is where SO'D excelled)

Yes, individuals make a difference, such as Olowu, but we've seem some good basic defending from the rest too. 

As long as Schofield keeps reinforcing the good things whilst gradually eradicating the not so good, coming out on the right side of close matches is more likely.

For him he sees the bigger picture and each game is a stepping stone to where he wants to be so that's why he's not emotionally distracted by results but more focussed on performances and individual players improving.

We're still at that stage when wheels can fall off but it's fascinating to see we are becoming more resilient. One of those mantras "The more we practice, the luckier we get".

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on February 17, 2023, 12:05:33 pm by EasyforDennis »

It’s amazing that some posters only appear after a defeat

Ridiculous comment. It could equally be said that some posters are noticeable by their absence after a defeat!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on February 17, 2023, 12:50:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
Some players have stepped up more (Maxwell, Olowu coming back, Close and Molyneux) and some of the new lads have made an impact (Brown and Lakin especially). It’s a more solid and cohesive set up. Two big challenges ahead though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012