Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:31:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Ryan in Donny Star.  (Read 8267 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Re:John Ryan in Donny Star.
« Reply #30 on January 18, 2011, 12:20:21 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
benaldo wrote:
People will come and pay £15 to watch when the following things apply -

1) The team play attractive football and lose more than they win

That is a typo isnt it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 18, 2011, 12:21:03 pm by benaldo »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
benaldo wrote:

That is a typo isnt it?

And for my next trick......

GM-MarkB

« Reply #32 on January 18, 2011, 04:21:31 pm by GM-MarkB »
Ok..I take it someone didn't like me having an opinion....so much for freedom of speech.

I won't be posting again...

DonnyBiz

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 18, 2011, 04:37:01 pm by DonnyBiz »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Memo to Mr Ryan.

You and the KM2 have built up spectacularly successful businesses. Get shut of the wastes of space who think that marketing is placing a 2-point typeface advert on page 97 of the Free Press and then sending me (a SEASON TICKET HOLDER for fcuk's sake) 6 e-mails about ticket prices 18 hours before a game.

GET RID OF THEM.

THEY are the reason that the crowds are so low. Because they are not doing the job that they are paid to do.

Got to agree here. If this is the extent of the marketing then I'd be super p***ed off at them and do just that, sack them. I'd jump at the chance of promoting the club I love, but then maybe that's the problem. Employ someone that can do the job AND loves the club then that department will improve surely? I'm self employed and if I was that crappy at marketing I'd be stood in the queue with the wife and 4 kids for bread and cheese.

Gizza job  ;)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 18, 2011, 04:38:04 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Have you had a post deleted?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 18, 2011, 04:44:54 pm by eastender »
It can't have helped having 3 home games on a trot,so soon after Christmas when money's tight even with the reduced prices,and if we win tonight we will have another 3 home games on the trot after Saturday's trip to Ipswich.God knows what the attendance will be at the Burnley game especially if we have a couple more bad results.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 18, 2011, 06:47:24 pm by danrover82 »
JR tends to have these little outbursts every now and again. I remember when he was backing managers etc overs fans and threatening to up sticks and pull out a few year back if we didn't stop moaning.

The problem is people who have L**ds stickers in their cars are not going to change teams. We as a club need to hit the young kids with loads of offers for kids and Adults bringing them.

The club used to target schools, but to me thats not going to be as successful as hitting the Junior football clubs around Donny. These kids love football and if it was cheap enough for a full family to go to the match, then more would come I'm sure.

Luckily the club are targeting the Junior Football clubs now and these kids stand every chance of being the future and putting bums on seats but it will be a slow process.

You change jobs, cars and even women in life, but how many of you would change your club to watch another team, cause they are marketing it at you?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 18, 2011, 06:56:53 pm by PDX_Rover »
Cussie wrote: \"At this moment we are a solid L1 club off the pitch with our size.\"

IMO that is being extremely generous.  We are non-league still in some respects.  The marketing department is small, yes, but it's the calibre that's the issue.

BST - Best post EVER IMO.  It nails what had needed to be said for the past 8 years.  FFS, us supports have been in dialogue with Rovers for a long, long, long, long time about this very matter.

Even if JR is pissed off, FFS do not go out and alienate potential (and possibly existing) fans by slagging them off.  For a start, it's the worst type of PR.  Secondly, journalists LOVE this type of stuff and will push you for more of the same please.  Thirdly, Leeds, Barnsley, Blades etc mush be laughing their tits off at us, seeing Ryan spouting off again...  It's like a drunk uncle at a wedding - just plain embarrassing.

How many times do we have to have this type of thread on here?  It happens at least 5 times each season.

Does that not scream something really REALLY obvious?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 18, 2011, 07:02:25 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Stop being disrepectful about jr ....he is totally right donny public deserve nothing and i hope he takes his money and never puts a penny more in!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 18, 2011, 07:21:50 pm by DonnyNoel »
Norfolk N Chance wrote:
Stop being disrepectful about jr ....he is totally right donny public deserve nothing and i hope he takes his money and never puts a penny more in!

No one is being disrespectful about JR, everyone on here wants the same as him - full stadiums and a play off push. What people disagree with, which they are perfectly entitled to do, are the reasons for the attendance problems. The \"C\" in DRFC stands for Club. The whole lot. Top to bottom, for which JR is responsible. At a simple level this covers all things on and off the pitch. On the pitch he has delivered more than anyone could have hoped for - we know the story. He's worked with his managers to take the on field part of DRFC to championship level. And he deserves all the credit he gets for it. We could never express our gratitude enough for this.  

However it's becoming obvious the off field part of DRFC, for which he is also responsible, just isn't up to scratch. Sadly, whilst he's more than entitled to take the credit for our on field success, he also has to listen to what the fans are saying re attendances, prices and marketing and seriously analyse what's been suggested on these forums for years.

I go on facebook. 3/4 years ago it was plastered with MYA adverts when he launched that company and you don't get an 8 figure fortune without knowing anything about business - so  why is he allowing mediocrity from his off field team at DRFC? If Nic Priet and Adam Hughes were given 10 year contracts by JR we'd be questioning it, surely we can do the same re the off field set up?

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 18, 2011, 07:29:39 pm by danrover82 »
A Match Day experience would help too!

People are paying good money for the adverts and announcements and a game. Before we used to have bands, cheerleaders and mini games etc. Even in the conference we would get games and entertainers at the matches.  Now its all about cost cutting and making as much for as little as possible.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 18, 2011, 07:39:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Have you thought where that money'e being diverted to ?

However, there's plenty that still could be done at very little cost to gain much more.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 18, 2011, 08:33:15 pm by RTID75 »
Norfolk N Chance wrote:

No one here is disrespecting John, that much is completely clear and to suggest as much is ridiculous. I am sure that most, if not every person who has posted in this thread worships the ground John walks on. We are all fans stretching back many years and we have all been on the Doncaster Rovers rollercoaster through it's many lows and it's more recent highs. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we all love John, can't thank him enough and are forever in his debt. Let's make that crystal clear.

What we do all agree on though is that things can't stay like they are if we are to progress and negative statements in the press coupled with inept marketing season after season after season will not help the club, anyone can see that. We still all need to work together for the good of the club, but the 'heads in sand' attitude of the club is taking us nowhere. Things have to change, and there's nothing disrespectful in pointing that out.

Oh - the point on MYA advertising is something I was going to mention too. John knows how to market his other business interests, so why not Rovers??

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 18, 2011, 08:41:03 pm by PDX_Rover »
Norfolk - don't be ridiculous.  The facts are that DRFC has a shocking marketing and PR department staffed by 'yes men' and people supremely unqualified or just plan inept.

Marketing to your existing database is piss, and they cannot even do that correctly.

You can hear the conversation Monday morning...

JR: How come the crowd was so poor on Saturday? 15 quid is affordable for this level.  I am disappointed.  

Marketing: But we placed a shite 1/4 page ad tucked in the 'What's On' section of the FP, right next to the ad for Sooty and the Golden Shower, now playing at the Civic Theatre. We sent 10,000 emails out Friday John (Omitting to mention that (a) they were all to season ticket holders and others already in the database and (b) everyone got the email 8 times each).  What more can we do?

JR:  I don't know why I bother etc... Hang on, Steve Hosscack's on the blower.  Steve,. well yes I am f**ked off actually.... Don't quote me on that though.

JR is rightly loved and cherished for what he has done for Doncaster Rovers Football Club.  The man is a legend.  But, he's so passionate that something his judgement is affected and he doesn't look at why people might not be attending.

It requires a long-term sustainable marketing and PR effort to win people back.  End of.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 18, 2011, 08:43:03 pm by benaldo »
Norfolk N Chance wrote:

I hope that was a sarcastic post?

The football club and Doncaster public is a totally one way deal. The massive majority of the public in Doncaster doesn't give a toss about football. You are right, we deserve nothing if we put nothing in.....and only 10,000 people out of 280,000 regularly put anything in!! That means that 27 out of 28 people in Doncaster don't give a monkeys about Rovers at the moment, for whatever reason.

The way to get them to come is certainly not to moan at them and berate them for not spending (normally) in excess of £21 for a ticket, £3 for a drink, and £3 for a crap burger!

Do something! Make the ticketing pricing clear, advertise it, re-jig the match day experience....put the vikettes back on or something else. It can't be that difficult can it????

No, Norfolk, we're not being dis-respectful. Some of us spend a lot of hard earned money (just like JR, and probably the same proportionally in some cases!!) at Rovers and I don't want to hear the bloke responsible for spending that money bleating on about people \"owing the town a football team\".

Imagine if you were thinking of coming to watch Rovers for the first time, you had little money so had to save to afford a ticket, then you read in the press that the Teams owner is slagging you off for not coming!! Christ, our marketing is poor enough in trying to cajole floating supporters to the keepmoat without JR undoing it with one blow of his tongue.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 18, 2011, 08:51:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Clear there is a lot of frustration for our weak link. Then you see an article like this on DROS when we should be pushing the Barnsley game
NETWORK WITH DONCASTER ROVERS
Posted on: Tue 18 Jan 2011
If you are the owner or senior member of management within Doncaster company, there is no doubt that you have been busy as of late.

No surprise then that you haven't been able to get amongst other business owners in the region, allowing you to network and bounce ideas amongst each other...

Enter Doncaster Rovers Football Club!

On Tuesday 1st February 2011, Doncaster Rovers are offering local businesses the chance to attend a networking seminar at the Keepmoat Stadium - before enjoying some of our acclaimed hospitality to witness Doncaster Rovers' Championship clash against former Premier League side Burnley!

Our networking seminar, which starts at 3:30pm, will have a \"Celebrating Success\" theme and features key note speeches from Entrepreneur of the Year Gary Winterman and Chief Executive of Doncaster Chamber Howard Gannaway, allowing you to take in some of the advice available to assist in your business growth, before meeting and swapping business cards with other business owners in Doncaster!
Afterwards, enjoy the luxury of our Sponsor's Lounge with your fellow guests and take in a Rovers match in style; you will be taken on a behind-the-scenes tour of Doncaster Rovers Football Club before enjoying a delicious meal. In addition, tea, coffee and biscuits will be available at half time and you will be able to use our private pay bar facilities. A complimentary match day programme, team sheet and the best seats in the house - as well as the chance to meet the Man of the Match top off what will prove to be an unforgettable day!

Would prefer some networking with fans to be honest !

However, there is a chance tomorrow at The Earl 7.30pm. I'll be there.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 18, 2011, 08:54:49 pm by benaldo »
I know Gaz Winterman. He's a top bloke. Wouldn't pay to hear him yak on though!  :laugh:

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 18, 2011, 11:13:53 pm by Lesonthewest »
RobTheRover wrote:
Lesonthewest wrote:
I made deliveries in & around Doncaster on Saturday morning to 3 addresses who I know to be occasional Rovers fans, not one of them knew the prices had been reduced.

Sounds like you need to take some flyers with you next time, Les.  ;-)

Apparently the club had 1000 flyers printed up advertising the game and the special offers.  Has anyone got one and can scan/post for me?

Most certainly will Rob, one of the guys was going to take advantage of the cut price & take his two lads, hopefully the game didn't put them off for too long.

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 18, 2011, 11:17:58 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
Got to agree the marketing is a joke. Get some new blood in JR the ones you are paying aint doing the buisness.

jb stainforth

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 18, 2011, 11:26:35 pm by jb stainforth »
the high prices at the start of season made some peoples minds up not to
go again this season the new offers are falling on deaf ears too little
too late will jr make same mistake next season

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 19, 2011, 06:11:56 am by PDX_Rover »
Is that Gaz Winterman from Edenthorpe?
Used to play in a band with him.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 19, 2011, 07:00:45 am by danrover82 »
yeah he's my cousin

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 19, 2011, 05:39:56 pm by PDX_Rover »
Tell him hello from Mark, his drummer in Internal Bleeding.  How's Col?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 19, 2011, 07:10:41 pm by hoolahoop »
benaldo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
benaldo wrote:

That is a typo isnt it?

And for my next trick......

27 matches in both League and Cups W 9 D 8 L10, seems to me we have lost more than we have won.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 19, 2011, 07:14:42 pm by hoolahoop »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Memo to Mr Ryan.

What is it with football club chairmen? They are clearly, obviously successful businessmen. Yet when it comes to running a football club, they chuck away the guidebook and assume a whole different set of rules apply.

You and the KM2 have built up spectacularly successful businesses. Did you achieve this by paying no fcuking attention whatsoever to marketing, then moaning in the press at your customers when they didn't buy your products. Or was marketing a core activity of your business, run by motivated, able and professional people? And if it was the latter, why do you think that idea shouldn't be ported into a football club?

Your comments betray a very worrying mentality in the club. You appear to think that because you make a decision (eg to reduce ticket prices), the whole world is suddenly aware of it. You seem to assume that your ex cathedra statements are being waited on by an entire population of potential fans.

Thay re not. CLEARLY they are not.

Think about people's circumstances.

People lead busy lives. People are short of money. They don't go to football matches on a whim (assuming that they even hear about the reduced ticket prices). They need to budget and to plan. A long-term strategy of pricing and marketing is vital if you are going to win the fans to add to our core support. That does not mean some last minute, poorly communicated decision from the club. It means a rational, coherent and consistent strategy.

Now, instead of putting this structure in place, you lash out at the ungrateful people of Donny. Please, please PLEASE Ryan stop this regular baiting of the people that you should be wooing. You have done 50% of the job required to attract people to the club by building up a quite superb playing side. Now do the same thing with your business management.

Get shut of the wastes of space who think that marketing is placing a 2-point typeface advert on page 97 of the Free Press and then sending me (a SEASON TICKET HOLDER for fcuk's sake) 6 e-mails about ticket prices 18 hours before a game.

GET RID OF THEM.

THEY are the reason that the crowds are so low. Because they are not doing the job that they are paid to do.

Sort out the ticket pricing strategy. Communicate it, consistently and visibly. Allow people to plan in advance their attendance at matches, secure in the knowledge that they can manage their stretched finances.

And do not ever again slag off your customers. EVER.

Great, great post this should be read out at the Fan's Forum, I know it's probably too late for this one but there will be others and judging by past reactions .........it will still apply unfortunately!!  :angry:

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 19, 2011, 08:55:38 pm by knockers »
PDX_Rover wrote:
Is that Gaz Winterman from Edenthorpe?
Used to play in a band with him.

It is, yes.
He owns anglo european based at doncaster airport and they do a lot of my groupage work for me in the uk.
Top bloke and more of you will know him as he's been playing in bands for years. Currently in winterman/stanton with....you guessed it a guy called stanton.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012