Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:30:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Gaffer  (Read 8392 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
The Gaffer
« on July 13, 2019, 02:39:25 pm by Nudga »
What a top class fella he is. Meeting and greeting fans in the street outside the ground, thanking everyone for the support we've shown.
He can't wait for Monday so that he can knuckle down with the squad and get his coaching ideas into them.

Really humble bloke, I love him, I really love him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: The Gaffer
« Reply #1 on July 13, 2019, 02:43:54 pm by dknward2 »
Great to hear hopefully we can keep this United fan base together

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 13, 2019, 03:34:29 pm by roversdude »
Agree he was just getting out of his car in car Park as we were parking took the time to speak and have photo with my young un

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 13, 2019, 05:23:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
You can see why he had such an immediate effect on West Brom, can't you?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 15, 2019, 08:21:57 pm by ravenrover »
Just a thought is being a "nice guy" really credentials for being a good manager ? Lots of rose coloured specs on this appointment including mine but being a fans choice is that the right way to go? Nearly kept The Baggies up but with a premiership team in the championship was 4th really that good before the P45 landed? Does he really have time to look at the squad before making any additions? Just feeling a little bit uneasy at the moment but hey the board didn't do too bad last season.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 15, 2019, 09:04:19 pm by since-1969 »
 Darren Moore is the polar opposite to both McCann or Fergie , who seemed more concerned about their irrelevant past associations with their previous clubs and played it all out in public . On first impressions Moore comes across as a ‘I think before speak or act’ type of man and as the players have voiced the opinion on him as better than McCann already . So it must be assume that McCann wasn’t well liked .

I remember feeling last season that we weren’t likely to get far with Grant McCann , when he brought in  Paul Taylor his best mate and reversed all the decisions about releasing players Mitchel Lund etc . But it turned out to be our best season for a long while . The board are NO mugs where due diligence is concerned and even they were impressed when  Darren Moore applied because they know he comes with a good recored and no baggage or hang ups . His relaxed persona could well be what’s  required to keep Marquis and settle any unrest caused by McCanns sudden departure.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 15, 2019, 10:35:07 pm by sha66y »
Just a thought is being a "nice guy" really credentials for being a good manager ? Lots of rose coloured specs on this appointment including mine but being a fans choice is that the right way to go? Nearly kept The Baggies up but with a premiership team in the championship was 4th really that good before the P45 landed? Does he really have time to look at the squad before making any additions? Just feeling a little bit uneasy at the moment but hey the board didn't do too bad last season.

So what exactly are ya saying ??

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 15, 2019, 11:03:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure there's many who have the same reservations. A man who is a thoroughly top bloke who has clearly earned a lot of respect in the game and beyond, does he have the ruthlessness that is sometimes required to be a top manager?

Well, we know there are different approaches and maybe he has earned his reputation by being firm, fair and totally honest. If he can instill confidence in players and make them feel ten foot tall then they will want to play for him.

The proof of the pudding of course is on the pitch so it will be interesting to see the performance levels of our current crop of players by comparison to last season.

We have yet to see how successful he can be in attracting players to the club or how he is trusted by other clubs managers with their young talent.

Klopp comes across as a Mr Nice Guy and he hasn't done too badly has he.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 16, 2019, 05:02:10 am by roversdude »
Let’s not forget that DM also has experience bringing kids through too including getting Harvey Barnes to kick on

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 16, 2019, 06:28:09 am by godlike1 »
As nice as DM clearly is I have concerns over the style of football we will play this season not to mention the massive lack of strength in depth in the squad

These are no different to my concerns when mccann started, although DF left him with a much stronger squad.

I also don't get the constant reference to club Doncaster I'd like him to talk about rovers now please

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 16, 2019, 07:00:53 am by since-1969 »
As nice as DM clearly is I have concerns over the style of football we will play this season not to mention the massive lack of strength in depth in the squad

These are no different to my concerns when mccann started, although DF left him with a much stronger squad.

I also don't get the constant reference to club Doncaster I'd like him to talk about rovers now please
Don’t talk daft ...  In what way did DF leave him with a stronger squad ? McCann brought in Kane Wilks & Dawson and it nearly put us in a playoff final . As for  Club Doncaster is an umbrella project incorporating many sports and this appeals to DM as it should appeal to all of us who support the club and wont  success for the Club and the Town of Doncaster .
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:06:59 am by since-1969 »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 16, 2019, 07:51:16 am by NickDRFC »
I think McCann had a better squad to start with in every way...

GK - Moore has Lawlor & Jones, McCann also had Marosi
DF - The full backs have swapped (Halliday & James may get turn out to be an upgrade on Mason & Andrew but right now it’s too early to tell), but McCann also had Buttler as well as Wright & Anderson
MF - the players we have when Moore took over were all here for McCann, as was Tommy Rowe
FW - no difference (I suppose Mandeville was still here but given he had no impact under McCann I wouldn’t say the squad is any weaker without him)

Moore has a smaller starting pool of players, in terms of number and quality. I’m disappointed in his decision to delay pursuing players (especially given we were told we have a number of quality players willing to sign as soon as we have a manager in place - what will now happen to them if they are told to hang on further?!) but we’ve got to keep the faith that Moore knows what he’s doing and will have assembled those 5/6 signings that we need to compete at the top end again by August.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:08:07 am by NickDRFC »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 16, 2019, 08:01:16 am by since-1969 »
We have signed two players and a long term loan from a top Premier League side Marquis is still here and DM is assessing the numbers , so where’s  the concern!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:39:20 am by since-1969 »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 16, 2019, 08:04:07 am by NickDRFC »
We have signed two players and a long term loan from a top Premier League sidebMarquis is still here and DM is assessing the numbers , so where’s  the concern!

You said “Don’t talk daft ...  In what way did DF leave him with a stronger squad ?” I’ve answered your question above. The two we’ve signed have just replaced outgoing fullbacks (as I said, possibly - and hopefully - an upgrade) and the loanee came in after Moore did.

I’m not saying I’m concerned - I have faith that Moore will sort it out - but there’s a lot of work to do over the next 3 weeks.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 16, 2019, 08:06:10 am by RobTheRover »
Marosi has come back? Missed that.... ;)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 16, 2019, 08:07:39 am by NickDRFC »
Marosi has come back? Missed that.... ;)

Haha good spot Rob, it was often said that there’s nothing between the two of them...edited now!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 16, 2019, 08:14:10 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe after today's friendly, he might be closer to deciding which areas we are weakest and therefore be able to determine where we need the quality additions. At this stage,, I'm guessing he's looking at players who are likely to be certain starters rather than stockings fillers. You would suspect he will identify Kiwomya, Madger and a couple of our young players as stocking fillers or surplus to requirements. Whilst we may have a good budget, he would certainly not want to waste it on risky signings in the wrong areas.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 16, 2019, 08:47:05 am by since-1969 »
We have signed two players and a long term loan from a top Premier League sidebMarquis is still here and DM is assessing the numbers , so where’s  the concern!

You said “Don’t talk daft ...  In what way did DF leave him with a stronger squad ?” I’ve answered your question above. The two we’ve signed have just replaced outgoing fullbacks (as I said, possibly - and hopefully - an upgrade) and the loanee came in after Moore did.

I’m not saying I’m concerned - I have faith that Moore will sort it out - but there’s a lot of work to do over the next 3 weeks.
He’s  been here a week and we’ve  played 2 friendlies and he’s hasn't got a no2 yet . Everything is in place to start a season if it was today , yes players will come in but only the right ones .  Players coming in were at an advanced stage BEFORE he was appointed and DM approval is being asked so as to confirm they are still what is needed. Would you prefer he rang you first ?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 16, 2019, 08:59:22 am by drfchound »

Don’t talk daft ...  In what way did DF leave him with a stronger squad ? McCann brought in Kane Wilks & Dawson and it nearly put us in a playoff final . As for  Club Doncaster is an umbrella project incorporating many sports and this appeals to DM as it should appeal to all of us who support the club and wont  success for the Club and the Town of Doncaster .

Dawson?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 16, 2019, 09:03:27 am by IDM »
Probably meant Downing.?

Richard Dawson was a good player I remember but that was in 1981-83 ish.!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 16, 2019, 09:04:40 am by drfchound »
Bob Dawson was a good keeper too.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 16, 2019, 09:08:27 am by wing commander »
   Don't be too worried about DM's comments about looking at the squad first before adding,Gavin said DM's little black book was very impressive when it came to contacts in the game.

DM isn't daft he will obviously know what we have lost from last seasons departures,and depending on what his preferred formations is will no doubt already be doing work on one or two and I've no doubt that by the time we will kick off we will have a decent squad again..

The only thing that concerns me is that pre season seems to get shorter and shorter and the team that we will end up with this season wont be the same that starts some of the bigger friendly's..I know that's just how our cards have fallen this year and it is what it is..

Personally I'm a massive fan of doing your business early and using the whole of pre season to shape your team on drills,formations etc etc afterall the first game carry's as many points as the last...

Reality is we are going to kick off this season a bit undercooked but we just have to manage..

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 16, 2019, 09:37:26 am by since-1969 »

Dawson?
  Downing - Dawson all   ainulists  spotted the mistake . I knew you wouldn’t let me down

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 16, 2019, 12:24:07 pm by IDM »
I have just looked at the bbc football page on transfers for July. 

There’s none on there I think - shit, we missed out - apart from maybe Wilks and Eaves but they have gone to championship clubs.

Most of the league one signings I either don’t think would add to our squad, or I don’t know.  Of course, there may be some good players in that list but I don’t get the feeling we are missing out..

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 16, 2019, 12:33:49 pm by boro_rover »

My dad found this picture the other day.

He was my first Donny hero. I was mascot that day and he introduced me to all the players, then spent a good half hour giving me tips in the sponsors lounge after the game.

If he can be the same force as a manager as he was a player we will be in for some good times.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 16, 2019, 12:53:59 pm by NickDRFC »
Christ that suit and tie combo is something!

Is that Scott Maxfield the other side?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 16, 2019, 02:10:21 pm by dickos1 »
It is yes

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 16, 2019, 02:11:31 pm by dickos1 »

He’s  been here a week and we’ve  played 2 friendlies and he’s hasn't got a no2 yet . Everything is in place to start a season if it was today , yes players will come in but only the right ones .  Players coming in were at an advanced stage BEFORE he was appointed and DM approval is being asked so as to confirm they are still what is needed. Would you prefer he rang you first ?

You’re completely changing your argument.
McCann inherited a better squad than what Moore has inherited. What he does with it now is a different point altogether

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 16, 2019, 08:43:56 pm by drfchound »

Dawson?
  Downing - Dawson all   ainulists  spotted the mistake . I knew you wouldn’t let me down

Yep, so I won’t bother mentioning how you spelled want.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 16, 2019, 10:22:40 pm by since-1969 »

Dawson?

Yep, so I won’t bother mentioning how you spelled want.
Dyslexia lures ok ! 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012